Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,020 members, 7,818,022 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die (7305 Views)

2015 Election: PDP Wins First Seat In The House Of Reps / EXCLUSIVE: INEC Clears Underage Candidates To Contest Senate, House Of Reps / Lagos Population Now Thought To Exceed 20 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Batubo(m): 3:21pm On May 22, 2009
Hon. Bala Ibn Na’Allah from Kebbi State argued that "nothing was wrong in sacrificing 20 million people to protect over 150 million people."
A statement by a member of the Nigerian National Assembly"   said this morning

we can do away with 20 million Niger deltans' The words of Alhaji Bala N'allah,member of the house of reps. with regards to the attack by the JTF on the Nigerdelta region.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Ibime(m): 3:22pm On May 22, 2009
He's just saying what many are thinking.
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Sammy107d(m): 3:25pm On May 22, 2009
I believe the statement caused a stir in the house; he was made to apologize and take back the statement.
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by beystwin: 3:27pm On May 22, 2009
Nigeria is going to be just like sudan very soon. grin sad angry

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Kobojunkie: 3:30pm On May 22, 2009
@Poster, what is the source of this story of yours?

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by JJYOU: 3:30pm On May 22, 2009
Batubo:

Hon. Bala Ibn Na’Allah from Kebbi State argued that "nothing was wrong in sacrificing 20 million people to protect over 150 million people."
A statement by a member of the Nigerian National Assembly"   said this morning

we can do away with 20 million Niger deltans' The words of Alhaji Bala N'allah,member of the house of reps. with regards to the attack by the JTF on the Nigerdelta region.
not his fault he is used to living with cattles and flies he doesnt know what human beings look like
Ibime:

He's just saying what many are thinking.
sadly true and som one wants to know why we have more hausas in the army?
Sammy107_d:

I believe the statement caused a stir in the house; he was made to apologize and take back the statement.
only a stir? i bet he has phd islamic studies
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Fhemmmy: 3:34pm On May 22, 2009
That is a terrible statement.
The 20 Million people are represented by some Hon. as well.
They need better way to deal with the prob.
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by sosisi(f): 3:36pm On May 22, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, what is the source of this story of yours?

Reps want military action extended to Rivers, Bayelsa
From JAMES OJO, Abuja
Friday, May 22, 2009
More Stories on This Section

Nigerian military got the backing of the House of Representatives to extend military action to other parts of the troubled Niger Delta region, in a tension soaked debate which lasted for over three hours of muscle flexing.

Specifically, the Joint Task Force was enjoined to extend action to Rivers and Bayelsa states, so as to complete the routing of any militancy.

Temper rose to a boiling point when a member, Hon. Bala Ibn Na’Allah from Kebbi State argued that noting was wrong in sacrificing 20 million people to protect over 100 million people, although he later withdrew the statement.
Speaker Dimeji Bankole had toughest time moderating the debate on Hon. Halims Agoda motion over the raging military action in the Niger Delta.

He, however, expressed optimism that the military was capable of carrying out its assignment with the utmost responsibility as pledged by the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Marshal Paul Dike and the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, who incidentally are all indigenes of the troubled region.

Giving the assurance after the House had taken the decision, urging the Joint Task Force to extend its operations to Rivers and Bayesla, Bankole said Nigerians have nothing to be scared of when it comes to securing the lives of people in the region since the Nigerian military is the most experienced in handling ‘such jobs’.

“Let me assure Nigerians watching at home that the Nigerian military is the most experienced in the world and when it comes to this kind of job. The House also appealed to the militants to drop their arms in line with the presidential amnesty even as it commiserated with families of both military and civilian personnel who lost their lives in the attack.

“In the last five years, the Nigerian military has undertaken peacekeeping with over 2000 men, which is the highest in the world. And today, the highest military officer is from the Niger Delta; the highest police officer is from the Niger Delta. So, I have no doubt in my mind that they will take up this assignment with the highest sense of responsibility,” he stated after the tension soaked debate.

Moving the motion, Hon. Agoda drew the attention of the House to the raging military action in the Niger Delta and the accompanying mass displacement of women, children, now rendered homeless without food and access to medical care.

He expressed worry that the genuine agitation of people of Niger Delta had been hijacked and taken a dangerous turn, hence there was need for both the Nigerian military and the militants to sheathe their swords to give room for a peaceful resolution of the crisis.
Hon. Terngu Tsegba [PDP], Benue noted that the military action in the region was the best approach to curbing criminality, adding that while the House sympathized with innocent casualties, he added that the government cannot just sit and allow crime to overtake the state.
“While we sympathize with the casualties, we can’t allow criminals to take over. No country in the world would surrender its security to charlatans. Militancy today is a criminal issue. What is happening now is who has money to hire who. I don’t even believe that all the militants are from the Niger Delta.
“So, if the military is living up to its responsibilities, we should support them. We must encourage the militants to put down their arms and take advantage of the amnesty given to them by Mr. President,” he stated.
Supporting the military action, Hon. Umar Bature [PDP], Sokoto said the military action is a constitutional duty of the president enshrined in section 217(A,B,C,D].

Leader of the Minority in the House, Hon Mohammed Ali Ndume, urged the Federal Government to extend the military action to Bayelsa, Rivers and other states where the militants may run to for cover after fleeing from the places currently being attacked.
However, members representing states from the region disagreed with the military option, pointing to its attendant effects on innocent citizens.
Hon Deami Akpanah [PDP] Rivers queried how a bomb would identify who is guilty and who is not when it is about to cause destruction.
His words: “When you throw a bomb into a community, are you sure that the people you are killing are the people you intended to kill? It does not know who is a militant and who is a civilian, so definitely, it is not the best approach.”

Hon. Igo Aguma, another PDP member from Rivers State continued to shout from his seat to protest his colleagues’ support for the extension of military action to other states.
Hon. Sekonte Davies from Degema/Bonny Federal Constituency of Rivers State in a press statement shortly after the plenary said military action would never solve the problems of the Niger Delta.
He decried criminality in agitating for better conditions of living, but warned that bombing of villages in search of militants would only make matters worse.
Since the renewed hostility, Sekonte asked the Nigerian military to show one militant that was killed like it was done in other parts of the world, where government forces are wagging war against insurgency.
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpage, 05-2009-02.htm

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Batubo(m): 3:36pm On May 22, 2009
From JAMES OJO, Abuja
Friday, May 22, 2009

Nigerian military got the backing of the House of Representatives to extend military action to other parts of the troubled Niger Delta region, in a tension soaked debate which lasted for over three hours of muscle flexing.

Specifically, the Joint Task Force was enjoined to extend action to Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa states, so as to complete the routing of any militancy.

Temper rose to a boiling point when a member, Hon. Bala Ibn Na’Allah from Kebbi State argued that noting was wrong in sacrificing 20 million people to protect over 100 million people, although he later withdrew the statement.
Speaker Dimeji Bankole had toughest time moderating the debate on Hon. Halims Agoda motion over the raging military action in the Niger Delta.
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Nobody: 3:40pm On May 22, 2009
That careless statement was completely uncalled for.

Coming from a lawyer  of Na'Allah standing that should know the import of every spoken words made it worse.

However, the statment has been retracted and apology tendered. But the scar remains

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by MrCrackles(m): 3:40pm On May 22, 2009
Batubo:

From JAMES OJO, Abuja
Friday, May 22, 2009

Specifically, the Joint Task Force was enjoined to extend action to Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa states, so as to complete the routing of any militancy.

Does that idiot for Kebbi thinks he made some major sense with his insensitive comments?

I wonder what type of animals we have in the national assembly at times! angry

Sacrificing 20 million people is definitely not the way forward!
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Batubo(m): 3:42pm On May 22, 2009
DEMONSTRATION IS NOT ENOUGH !!! LETS BREAK OUT FROM THE SO CALLED NIGERIA. That comment just shows the kind of Idiots that rule us in Nigeria

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out--because I was not a communist; Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out--because I was not a trade unionist; Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out-- because I was not a Jew; Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak out for me
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by otokx(m): 3:43pm On May 22, 2009
You mean he used the word "sacrificing" o ga o
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by jimmysho(m): 3:45pm On May 22, 2009
that statement is fanning the ember of discord and the end has not been had of such stupid and cowardic comment by suppose leaders of nigeria that his bussiness in the NASS IS JUST TO COLLECT 25M in 3 months  
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by sosisi(f): 3:46pm On May 22, 2009
Looking at all the highlighted parts in the article above ,have you all noticed that these hausa almajiris are the ones calling to go bomb everywhere,raze down the Niger delta and extend fire to all sorrounding states where the militants might flee.
These people are heartless.
For years and decades ,the militant almajiri youths in northern Nigeria have massacred people ,pillaged, burnt buildings and they've done absolutely nothing to stop them.
But now ,they want to wage an all out war in the Niger delta far away from their territory.
If the SS and SE reps in those places like,let them keep quiet,the war will be in their territory once again.
That is the plan of those northern goats from the beginning too bad these same people they're now fighting were their strong allies in the then Eastern region when they fought Biafra.
Nevertheless,this should not be allowed to continue.
They need to be stopped in their tracks.
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Batubo(m): 3:48pm On May 22, 2009
"I consider that Nigeria is on the verge, on the brink of a massive implosion that will make what's happening in the Sudan child's play. We know there are movements for secession in this country. We know that everybody is preparing for the contingency of breaking up. International organisations are also studying the situation,".- Wole Soyinka, Africa's first Nobel Prize Winner for Literature
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by sosisi(f): 3:51pm On May 22, 2009
I said it,only time will prove Biafrans right.
That country should have never been one in the first place.
The northern idiots are forever ready to fight and kill anyone in their way.
Too bad they have constitently manipulated other groups for their selfish purposes.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by beystwin: 3:51pm On May 22, 2009
This is why I hate Nigeria,  people are being killed in the country and politicians think it is OK.  sad
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Batubo(m): 3:52pm On May 22, 2009

Looking at all the highlighted parts in the article above ,have you all noticed that these hausa almajiris are the ones calling to go bomb everywhere,raze down the Niger delta and extend fire to all sorrounding states where the militants might flee.
These people are heartless.

Question: "Do you think Nigeria should become a Sharia nation?"

Governor Sani Yerima: "That is my ambition and that is the ambition of every moslem in this country." ---- Governor Ahmed Sani Yerima of Northern Nigeria's Zamfara State (1999 - 2007) after instituting Sharia Law in the state. 19 northern Nigerian states still enforce Sharia Law today
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Thadude(m): 3:53pm On May 22, 2009
Dem go hear am, when the militants start planting bombs in the schools of their kids and in their houses them go no say 1 innocent human life = 150 million life.
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by sosisi(f): 3:54pm On May 22, 2009
Batubo:

DEMONSTRATION IS NOT ENOUGH !!! LETS BREAK OUT FROM THE SO CALLED NIGERIA. That comment just shows the kind of Idiots that rule us in Nigeria

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out--because I was not a communist; Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out--because I was not a trade unionist; Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out-- because I was not a Jew; Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak out for me

I wish Adaka Boro was alive to read this and thank God Elechi Amadi is still alive to witness this.
[b]Karma,they say is a female dog.[/b]They fought for one nigeria
did they get one Nigeria?
They feared "Igbo domination" abi
northern domination must be a lot better.
One Nigeria!!
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by beystwin: 3:57pm On May 22, 2009
Methinks that the Niger Delta militants should start kidnapping politicians instead of their wives and children, or foreigners. That is the only way that the Nigerian government will understand that this is serious. Vive la revolution!
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Nobody: 3:57pm On May 22, 2009
He just voiced out what 99% of northerners are thinking. Didnt one of them tell us they shld relocate the Niger Deltans to the north instead of complaining about environmental degradation before?

Such a shame. Yeah Nigeria is one indeed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Batubo(m): 3:58pm On May 22, 2009
And Niger-deltan man that believes in ONE USELESS NIGERIA, IJAW, OGONI or IGBO IS A BIG FOOL

Who Killed ISAAC JASPER ADAKA BORO? - Benjamin Adesanya Maja Adekunle

Who Killed KEN SARO-WIWA? - Sani Abacha

Who Killed CHIEF MARSHAL SoKARI HARRY? - Olusegun Aremu Okikiola Matthew Obasanjo

Who killed OBI WALI ?

Who killed PA ALFRED REWANE?

Who Killed Dr. CHUBA WILBERFORCE OKADIGBO? Olusegun Aremu Okikiola Matthew Obasanjo

Who Killed ALFRED AMINASAORI KALA DIKIBO? -Olusegun Aremu Okikiola Matthew Obasanjo
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by debosky(m): 4:03pm On May 22, 2009
Note of caution. I am hesitant to believe the opinion reported by the sun. The Guardian said:

But a contribution from Bala Ibn Nallah (PDP) from Kebbi State sent tempers flaring in the chamber. In his contribution, Nallah supported the military operations in Delta and added that if 20,000 people must be cleared to allow 100,000 other Nigerians have peace, so be it.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article02//indexn2_html?pdate=220509&ptitle=Reps%20okay%20military%20action%20in%20Delta,%20JTF%20vows%20to%20fight%20on

The import is still the same, but the sun description is more inflammatory.
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by ud4u: 4:04pm On May 22, 2009
Hon. Bala Na'Allah is a true representative of his people indeed, of course the Niger Deltan's can be eradicated and Hausas will live to enjoy the oil proceeds for ever.

They should check whether this man is psychologically fit to make decisions for this country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 22, 2009
debosky:

Note of caution. I am hesitant to believe the opinion reported by the sun. The Guardian said:

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article02//indexn2_html?pdate=220509&ptitle=Reps%20okay%20military%20action%20in%20Delta,%20JTF%20vows%20to%20fight%20on

The import is still the same, but the sun description is more inflammatory.

No, this is even worse. 20m out of 150m is 0.13%, 20,000 out of 100,000 is 0.2%
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Batubo(m): 4:09pm On May 22, 2009
[What the government has been successful in doing is committing genocide against the Ijaw communities whose offence, it seems, is discovering oil in their backyards," the group said

Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by enohj2ee(m): 4:25pm On May 22, 2009
My people let get it right now, let us be truthful to ourselves, when 19 Nigerian Soldiers were killed in Benue State, what happened? to Zaki-Biam,

Niger Delta is not the Case here, why should they kill the soldiers, These militants are thief's now, they are no longer fighting because they are Niger deltan patriotic guys.

should they must be brought to book.

Let be fair to ourselves here, Nairalanders.
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by ono(m): 4:32pm On May 22, 2009
That military men were killed isn't enough (does not justify in any way) for one cattle rearing idiot to stand up and say my people should be sacrificed - so they can have full scale access to the crude flowing from the place.

Alright, with these words from that heartless thief, I now support MEND for a full scale attack - if they still have the muscle to do that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by Ibime(m): 4:33pm On May 22, 2009
$osisi:

I wish Adaka Boro was alive to read this and thank God Elechi Amadi is still alive to witness this.
[b]Karma,they say is a female dog.[/b]They fought for one nigeria
did they get one Nigeria?
They feared "Igbo domination" abi
northern domination must be a lot better.
One Nigeria!!

I wonder when una go get over this Adaka-Boro stuff. Adaka-Boro was the first to declare a secession movement and declared The Republic of the Niger Delta, so he was never a Nigerian Nationalist. He fought for one Rivers State under true federalism. One Nigeria was never his plan, neither was one Biafra. He was always about one Niger-Delta. He figured that federalism under one Naija is better than centrism under one Biafra. Don't get things misconstrued. We aren't anyone's bitch, whether Naija or Biafra. Self-determination is key, whether through secession or federalism. If Biafra had offered a federalist vision of the future, all the aforementioned would have fought for them. . . . . kindly accept input, lets not derail the thread. . . . Biafra issue always derails threads. . . .
Re: House Of Reps: 20 Million Niger Delta Citizens Should Be Allowed To Die by MaiSuya(m): 4:41pm On May 22, 2009
The senator was just expressing his personal opinion, which is in no way representative of that of the average Northerner; being one I should know.

Most of us sympathize with the ND cause, though we've always insisted that the MEND ( nothing more than a criminal organization), and the politicians that usually act as intermediaries between the affected areas and the FG are just as guilty as the oil companies that have exploited the areas.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Debt Weighs Down National Assembly- Daily Trust / Role Of Leadership In Nation Building / APC Holds Convention May 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.