Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,996 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . (6736 Views)

Ize-iyamu Convoy Attacked At Jattu, APC Deputy Governorship Aspirant's Town / Some Kogi Governorship Election Result 2015 / Gyang Pwajok Is Dead (PDP Governorship Aspirant) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by alaoeri: 9:19pm On Nov 22, 2015
001ng:

You are sounding sentimental. In law, there is no sentiment. As at today, he was a candidate. That's finished. Another candidate can't stand on another candidate votes. Electoral act is very explicit on the death of candidates .
No need to argue back and forth, let's wait for INEC official announcement in the next 24hrs.
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by Iamoilprince(m): 9:25pm On Nov 22, 2015
charlito94:
Read section 181(1) of the 1999 constitution as amended (2011)
It talks abt d death of a governor to be
D deputy is to take oath of office n appointa deputy ssubject to d state assembly simple majority to approve such

You guys should try and understand english. The election is "Inconclusive". So who will they remaining LGA vote for ?

Fresh election will be conducted. Audu hasnt been declared winner yet.
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:25pm On Nov 22, 2015
PRYCE:
Seriously!....Here in Jos, We try to be neutral but religion has divided us already!...

The whole of the middle belt's driven by the politics of religion... cos The Middle belt's evenly divided between christians and muslims! So there's a power tussle.

Well, I was only echoing something my buddy here said!
Well, I understand but as leaders that we are, we should be promoting peaceful co-existence instead of maintaining sectarianism

1 Like

Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by tobnical(m): 9:29pm On Nov 22, 2015
Two things may happen
1.It is assumed APC doesn't present any candidate in the election. Since nomination of candidate is over. APC can't replace him. Our constitution never forsee o situation like this. The election is just half way. No winner has been declared yet.
2. It is not a candidate that is been voted for, but a party. If that's d case, the deputy can stand in his place or the runner up in the primary election of the party.
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by charlito94(m): 9:32pm On Nov 22, 2015
Iamoilprince:

You guys should try and understand english. The election is "Inconclusive". So who will they remaining LGA vote for ?

Fresh election will be conducted. Audu hasnt been declared winner yet.

Go n do proper study on psychology of politics. No how to predict outcomes DAT re even so obvious as in this case
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 22, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
@OP you have to understand that political parties present candidates for elections. In the case of Governorship election, their is a joint ticket(Gov and Dep Gov candidates). The law provides that in the event that the Gov candidaÞe cannot be sworn-in (whether death, resignation, stroke etc), the running mate assumes the post of Governor. See Boni Haruna Vs INEC (1998)

Also the constitution provides that the running mate be sworn in in the event of the death of Governor-elect. James Faleke is the incoming Kogi state Governor!

Sorry the late Audu was not declared winner before his death was pronounced.
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by Rexology: 10:03pm On Nov 22, 2015
No Law in Nigeria provides for this scenario,. Its a Lacuna in our Constitution and Electoral Act , therefore whatever anybody is saying on this scenario is just an expression of his or her personal OPINION.
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by 001ng: 10:08pm On Nov 22, 2015
FreeGlobe:
The speaker of the house will be sworn in pending the conduct of a fresh election.
This comes to play if the election is not concluded bf the expiration of tenure of the current governor.
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by 001ng: 10:13pm On Nov 22, 2015
Rexology:
No Law in Nigeria provides for this scenario,. Its a Lacuna in our Constitution and Electoral Act , therefore whatever anybody is saying on this scenario is just an expression of his or her personal OPINION.
The law already provided for this scenario in the electoral law concerning death of "a candidate".
Remember Audu is still a candidate.
Even if it was the PPA guy that died before the declaration of the result, a fresh election will be conducted. It's as simple as ABCD.
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by gen2briz(m): 10:19pm On Nov 22, 2015

Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by Rexology: 10:47pm On Nov 22, 2015
001ng:

The law already provided for this scenario in the electoral law concerning death of "a candidate".
Remember Audu is still a candidate.
Even if it was the PPA guy that died before the declaration of the result, a fresh election will be conducted. It's as simple as ABCD.
Stop arguing, there is no provision of any known law in Nigeria for this scenario. I bet you are not even a Law student not to talk of a Lawyer, because a Law student understands better.
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by 001ng: 10:50pm On Nov 22, 2015
Rexology:

Stop arguing, there is no provision of any known law in Nigeria for this scenario. I bet you are not even a Law student not to talk of a Lawyer, because a Law student understands better.
If I should go by statement, I must be a lawyer before I know the law?
Funny.
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by Rexology: 10:53pm On Nov 22, 2015
001ng:

If I should go by statement, I must be a lawyer before I know the law?
Funny.
I told you there is no provision of any law for this scenario and there you are arguing what you know nothing about. What type of attitude is that?
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by 001ng: 10:59pm On Nov 22, 2015
Rexology:

I told you there is no provision of any law for this scenario and there you are arguing what you know nothing about. What type of attitude is that?
Son, you have an attitude.
Who are you to tell me that there's no law about that scenario.
Go check your electoral law about death of a candidate for an election.
As at his death, he was still a candidate.
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by warrior01: 11:02pm On Nov 22, 2015
Rexology:

I think the guy is actually right. The election was declared inconclusive thereby making the late Audu a mere candidate of one of the contending political parties. With his death, a new election will be called on a later date
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by Rexology: 11:15pm On Nov 22, 2015
O
warrior01:

I think the guy is actually right. The election was declared inconclusive thereby making the late Audu a mere candidate of one of the contending political parties. With his death, a new election will be called on a later date
Anybody can express his or her personal OPINION on this scenario, but no provision of any law envisaged this scenario. It's a lacuna in our Constitution and Electoral Act. A death of a candidate before an election is different from a death of a candidate at the middle of an election. That guy claims he knows much when he is only wallowing in ignorance ignorantly.

1 Like

Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by PRYCE(m): 7:30am On Nov 23, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Well, I understand but as leaders that we are, we should be promoting peaceful co-existence instead of maintaining sectarianism
At least, Things are starting to change!
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by San2ski(m): 11:14am On Nov 23, 2015
001ng:

It will be a fresh election.
The candidate is dead.

I just have the feeling that this guy will not want to stay dead
-for now.
Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by alaoeri: 4:01pm On Nov 24, 2015
001ng:

You are sounding sentimental. In law, there is no sentiment. As at today, he was a candidate. That's finished. Another candidate can't stand on another candidate votes. Electoral act is very explicit on the death of candidates .
Who is now sentimental btw us besides have you seen the press release by INEC? grin

Re: If A Governorship Aspirant Dies Before Election Result Is Declare . by 001ng: 5:44pm On Nov 24, 2015
alaoeri:

Who is now sentimental btw us besides have you seen the press release by INEC? grin
Wait till supreme court interprets it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

These Pictures Of Almajiri Kids In The North Will Break Your Heart - Pics / Breaking: Oby Ezekwesili To Sign 2019 Election Peace Accord / Over 90% Of Policemen Don't Have Befitting Barracks To Stay - IGP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.