Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,215 members, 7,815,243 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

The Silliness Of This “vanity Upon Vanity” Quote - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Silliness Of This “vanity Upon Vanity” Quote (801 Views)

Vanity Upon Vanity...some Facts About Naija Politics / 24 Hours Before MKO Abiola's Death: Vanity Of Life! / Oby Ezekwesilly And Her Silliness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Silliness Of This “vanity Upon Vanity” Quote by makizee(m): 8:00pm On Nov 23, 2015
The Silliness of this “Vanity upon Vanity” quote

As someone who frequents nairaland, you must have come across this quote like a thousand times, especially when it is a post about someone flaunting what they’ve got and stuff, Well , Here is a Newsflash for you, This whole world is solidly built on “Vanity”. Don’t get me wrong not Vanity going strictly by its dictionary meaning which is really an unnecessary distraction we all just have to deal with, but in the context that most Folks on here have being using it sounds more like broke peeps trying to make themselves feel good
Nobody would choose poverty over wealth. Since death is the ultimate Leveller, Both the rich and the poor would one day die, so would you rather live a life of poverty and frustrations and die an unhappy person or would you rather live a life of wealth filled with happiness, enjoying what the world has to offer. I know every sensible person will choose the latter, Some of you Folks be making it look like being rich is a sin, and poor people are the most compassionate nicest people you would ever meet, Haven’t you met a rich dude who is the nice and always looking to help and some poor Folks who are almost always bitter and angry and holding on to some better life in the hereafter and not being nice or helpful to some fellow poor Folks.
Lastly, it’s sounding to sound like some kind of Justification for being broke by these “Vanity is Vanity Folks” like it’s a mental battle some will have to free themselves from and I fear may encourage you not working hard enough to change your situation.
I am not rich (at least not by the standards I have set for myself) but I will continue to work hard to be able to enjoy what this life has to offer for me and my future, whether it works out is left to be seen, but I know for sure I’ll rather live a good life, with all its vanities than live a poor sad miserable one for lack of resources, and die rich instead of Poor. After all the poor are not exempt from dying.

Sorry Mod, not sure if this is the right section to post this but it was inspired by all these "Vanity upon Vanity" quotes following the deat of Abubakar Audu

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Silliness Of This “vanity Upon Vanity” Quote by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 23, 2015
My desire and drive for the good life simply intensified.

I do not need anyone's death to admonish me to live a life dedicated to the welfare of my society though their death can sometime serve some sort of a reminder.

I'll choose wealth over poverty any day but I won't add another person's dime to my wealth.

My life isn't vanity at all. Only a life lived without a clear purpose is vanity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Silliness Of This “vanity Upon Vanity” Quote by hahn(m): 8:26pm On Nov 23, 2015
Well, the op and dearpreye have said enough. I was actually thinking about this earlier today.

Most people only say this out of wishful and religious based thinking. Their quest for an afterlife that is not guaranteed has eluded their self worth into believing that everything material is evil and thus will mar their pursuit of a world after death that ironically guarantees everything with they refer as vanity such as wealth, paradise, gold plated roads and a white heaven.

Jealousy and envy of other people's success and achievements is also another factor behind this twisted logic.

The fact remains that everything attainable only exists on this physical earth and are very much realistic. The illusion of paradise is in fact "vanity upon vanity".

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Silliness Of This “vanity Upon Vanity” Quote by missKiffy(f): 8:56pm On Nov 23, 2015
Your telling a rich man that dies that "vanity upon vanity" afterall he is leaving something for his children and grandchildren

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Silliness Of This “vanity Upon Vanity” Quote by hahn(m): 2:50pm On Feb 04, 2017
bump

(1) (Reply)

NYSC Deploys 2,200 Corps Members 2 Borno,A State With Highest Boko Haram Attacks / FG Now Resorted To Bribing Factions In The East To Talk Against Biafra / Kachikwu Unseated As OPEC President After 2 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.