Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Ps3 Cell Faster Than Core I7 965 Xe - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Ps3 Cell Faster Than Core I7 965 Xe (4046 Views)

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow-pc Game In 300 MB / Splinter Cell: Conviction . . .5 Hours? Keep That Sh*t! / Splinter Cell Vs Metal Gear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ps3 Cell Faster Than Core I7 965 Xe by kosovo(m): 6:52am On May 24, 2009
H.264 video: New Playstation 3 codec uses for transcoding

A novel transcoding tool Fixstars allows for the conversion of video material on the Full HD format, with the help of a Playstation 3 in real time.

The conversion of video footage in Full HD movies at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 provides current desktop CPUs with a lengthy task. This allows the transcoding of a movie sometimes half a day.

Now put Linux Developer Fixstars a video converter called Codecsys CE-10, which was to encode movies into MPEG-4-AVC format (H.265) The Cell processor uses a Playstation 3 - this format will be predominantly on Blu-Ray media or IP-TV via video-stream uses. The CE-10-encoder sends out from a Windows PC, the output data via Ethernet to the console, which finished the encoded data back to the PC sends back.

According to the announcement of Fixstars reached the Cell processor of the Playstation a performance of 29 FPS, that is 1.2 times real-time conversion - the cell has a similar performance as the CUDA Badaboom encoder in combination with an Nvidia Geforce GTX-285. By comparison, Intel's current top-CPU, the Core i7 965 XE, does it still at 18 FPS - normal desktop CPUs even create only about 5 FPS.

Re: Ps3 Cell Faster Than Core I7 965 Xe by init4dmoni(m): 10:58pm On Jun 03, 2009
wow all those words and i'm finding itt hard to understand one thing
all dat comes to my mind wen fpsframes per second right? is mentioned is dat normal cameras are surpossed to capture at 30fps
this language is way to geeky for the avg nlnda
Re: Ps3 Cell Faster Than Core I7 965 Xe by texazzpete(m): 5:15pm On Jun 04, 2009
lol
Only a brain dead manatee would believe that the PS3 Cell can come close to matching a Core i7 processor.
Funniest thing i've heard all year.
Re: Ps3 Cell Faster Than Core I7 965 Xe by Chuckdee(m): 8:47pm On Jun 04, 2009
The two have completely different architectures and cannot truly be compared without having huge gaps. CPUs like the CoreI7 are better at processing variables, at, adjusting, and they can take basic instructions, and manipulate them to form, additional code. To exact various tasks.
They process code that is constantly being altered due to variables,

the Cell is better at Linear Processing, and it requires a lot of coding to make it work right. But when it is, oh boy! , straight mathematical calculations, the Cell would be better since it was inspired by Vector computing architecture, which was designed to spit out mathematical calculations. ( e.g look at the folding @ home project figures)

The problem is that not everything that's done to work with conventional CPUs will work with the Cell, sometimes programs have to be rewritten from scratches to work; which is why many people see developing for the PS3 as a waste of money, since it requires intensive coding.

, My half cent cool
Re: Ps3 Cell Faster Than Core I7 965 Xe by kosovo(m): 11:02pm On Jun 05, 2009
texazzpete:

lol
Only a brain dead manatee would believe that the PS3 Cell can come close to matching a Core i7 processor.
Funniest thing i've heard all year.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,685203/H264-Videos-Neuer-Codec-nutzt-Playstation-3-fuer-Transkodierung/Tools/News/&rurl=translate.google.de

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Download Pes2012 For A Nokia X2-01 / List Of Already Released Ps4 Games / Help!!! I Can't Unlock Kickoff Mode & Origin In Fifa14 Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.