Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle (12580 Views)

Quit Notice To Igbos: Arewa Youths Change Their Minds, Reconsider Igbos (Photos) / The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds / Calling A Nationwide Protest: Is Nigeria Mature For It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Eddygourdo(m): 8:06am On Nov 24, 2015
This is not an ipob thread nor is the intention of this thread to foster hatred amongst ourselves or others. Please I will appreciate if only mature comments are made and mutual respect with decorum observed.

I am really scared for the future, the economic situation in Nigeria is dire and the political class appear clueless in providing a solution to this problem, all governments be it goodluck, obasanjo, yar a dua, buhari, or even the military era that was intertwined with brief periods of civilian rule have all failed us. I thus move the motion for true federalism initiative, many do not want that which is understandable because one never wipes his bottom first before using the toilet. We must first have a developmental blueprint for each region that ensures utilisation of regional resources as well as maximisation of our general wealth. The future of the Igbos is in the hands of our enlightened youths, not the street urchins or traders whose wisdom are limited by exposure. I invite opinions and insights into ways to develop and maximise the potentials of the igbo race. Hopefully once we have determined on paper through intelligent discourse on our future prospects we will seek our own country if true federalism isn't implemented

I implore other tribes that are capable of national building, such as the yorubas and Northerners to observe and take cue from discussions and suggestions offered here. To look inwards towards positioning their people for true federalism or future seccesion.

I will post opinions and suggestions in hope that this thread becomes a fruitful drive towards actualization of the igbo developmental agenda

Please everybody's opinion is an opinion, everybody's suggestion is a suggestion, let's teach people decorum by our conduct in this thread, by respecting differing opinions and rather discussing towards a positive conclusion

We are the leaders of tomorrow, unfortunately tomorrow has come and we are not yet good apprentices talk more of leaders.
Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by cheruv: 8:32am On Nov 24, 2015
A batalam...kam hu ihnye I gāgwa anyi undecided

12 Likes

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Eddygourdo(m): 9:07am On Nov 24, 2015
Nno cheruv I hope others join in. If and when there is more interest I will say things I want to say. Meanwhile you can always say your feelings towards the igbo race and the way forward
Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by xmich(m): 9:12am On Nov 24, 2015
Igbo race = igbo is a language and not race

Way forward = Biafra

19 Likes

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by dialfa: 9:15am On Nov 24, 2015
Please op, what is the difference between "federalism" and "true federalism"?

Can you do me the courtesy of answering just this exact question.

1 Like

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by zendy: 9:37am On Nov 24, 2015
'Chukwu gozie umu-Igbo'

I don't think this thread is particularly necessary. Federalism is never coming back to Nigeria. How does anyone think that the Northerners will ever allow federal fiscal policy, resource contol and regional autonomy which are the hallmarks of federalism to return? The North are immensely benefiting from the curreny unitary system that is dragging Nigeria back into the stone ages. The need this unitary system like fish needs water and they will fight to keep it as it is. The only way back federalism is the secession of all Igbos and the minorities that agree with us, possibly into a confederation.

18 Likes

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by obailala(m): 11:02am On Nov 24, 2015
zendy:
'Chukwu gozie umu-Igbo'

I don't think this thread is particularly necessary. Federalism is never coming back to Nigeria. How does anyone think that the Northerners will ever allow federal fiscal policy, resource contol and regional autonomy which are the hallmarks of federalism to return? The North are immensely benefiting from the curreny unitary system that is dragging Nigeria back into the stone ages. The need this unitary system like fish needs water and they will fight to keep it as it is. The only way back federalism is the secession of all Igbos and the minorities that agree with us, possibly into a confederation.
Just like I've always said and will keep saying, the SE, SS, SW and a good chunk of the NC wants regional autonomy. The only zones that are against this are the NW and NE. However, the NW and NE are NOT RESPONSIBLE for the non-actualisation of regional autonomy; rather the foolishness of the southern zones in putting aside their flimsy differences and uniting in this purpose of fighting for regionalism, this foolishness is the reason why regional autonomy has not been achieved since 1970.

Just my little contribution...

16 Likes

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Eddygourdo(m): 11:20am On Nov 24, 2015
You have all spoken well, but let's look at issues objectively, even the south isn't ready as it is for true federalism, if we implemented that today, many regions will become unsustainable, a northern once posed an argument, that since groundnut money was used to develop and explore for oil, then if true federalism is proposed there must be a time gap to allow oil money to be used to develop agricultural potentials in the north to support them in the event of implementation. Now that analogy made sense to him, but something in it made sense to me, only a fool tests the depth of a river by jumping into it, this is why I am and have never been an ipob agitator because I prefer to plan first, analyse risks and come up with acceptable benefits before embarking on an endeavour. This is synonymous to testing the waters with one foot first, what I am saying is that, even before federalism or no federalism the peoples of each region are supposed to be equipped with concrete sustainability initiatives first, where such initiatives would be financed through the methods we are currently running, and after a period of time we may now propose true federalism or seccesion of states. This thread is meant to propose concrete plans on sustainable initiatives in the south East, that would make true federalism or seccesion a supporting factor to its growth and development

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Eddygourdo(m): 11:21am On Nov 24, 2015
dialfa:
Please op, what is the difference between "federalism" and "true federalism"?

Can you do me the courtesy of answering just this exact question.
read my response on the thread, hopefully something there answers this pertinent question you asked
Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by wecan: 11:27am On Nov 24, 2015
MY BRODA YOUR IDEA IS GOOD BUT IT WILL NOT WORK NOW AS FAR AS NIGERIA IS STILL IN EXISTENCE, SO I WILL ADVICE YOU TO KEEP IT UNTIL WE ACTUALIZE BIAFRA

2 Likes

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Eddygourdo(m): 11:34am On Nov 24, 2015
wecan:
MY BRODA YOUR IDEA IS GOOD BUT IT WILL NOT WORK NOW AS FAR AS NIGERIA IS STILL IN EXISTENCE, SO I WILL ADVICE YOU TO KEEP IT UNTIL WE ACTUALIZE BIAFRA
we can't actualize biafra on nothing, we will actualize biafra on something, something tangible, let us create something tangible that will ensure the actualization of biafra, why don't we have a mega city in the south East, why is the alaba market in lagos and not I the south East or south south where there is also access to the sea, why are there no companies in south East, the presence of the sea (Lagos) and it's well utilised ports has industrialised ogun and lagos, yet we have some access to the sea and nothing to show for it. You understand why we must create these things for ourselves first before biafra. They involve alot of money for development and money is always something a newly created state is good at lacking

6 Likes

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Olabestonic001(m): 12:26pm On Nov 24, 2015
I'm Yoruba but with much interest in the Igbo's cause.
I support a thorough planning with the pros and cons spelt out before executions. The intellects among Igbos must hijack the Biafra from those who seems to be too angry to think. I want the intellects to first analyze the stuffs around it. Anger and emotions does not win a cause; proper planning does.
IPOB seems to be filled with angry people that have been filled with the feeling of getting to a state of utopia and some gullible people who are just sympathetic to their cause. I want them to go back to the drawing board and do the following:
(a) Discourage the Igbo's from worshiping money and having premium on honor and respects rather than the amount you have in your pocket.
(b) Encourage more youths to do stay and develop their regions. Its no good always exporting your human resources to other climes and only coming home once or twice a year to show everyone how rich you've become. That causes a great sense of mundaness.
(c) The Igbo's needs to think less about Hausa/Fulani and Yoruba's, but think more about Igbo. Most Igbo's I know are too insecure (even though they are extremely capable individuals). While I can say the Civil war had its toll on some people's psyche, they need to know that their destiny is in their hands and no tribe can hold them down; they can prosper.
(d) They must learn that life is all about politics and not that throwing of emotions all around. Too much emotions ruins even the best cause. Let them stop being clannish and mobbish. A thing needs to be assessed by its inherent properties than 'where' it comes from. Also, allowing an alternate view is something they must work on greatly.
(e) With the development in their region, they must know that Yoruba's, Niger Deltans, Middlebelt are all tired of the type of federalism we are practicing and would join for same clamor for regional autonomy/dissolution of Nigeria.
The Fulani herdsmen are a menace to Jos and Middlebelt as a whole, the Yoruba's wants regional autonomy, the South-South wants regional control but it seems proponents of this Biafra wants to annex SS and force a kingdom on them. What MOU have they signed? have they sold the whole new agitations for the elders in Igbo land? For those who are clamoring that their elders be overlooked, I daresay they are really getting it all wrong. While an older man lives in memory, a younger man lives in expectation. An elder has 'seen it all' and you cant just rubbish such a person. Any company cannot make a vibrant young man lacking in experience as her CEO (NO MATTER HIS ENTHUSIASM); he must learn the politics and realities from the elder ones.

I see two things happening to this IPOB bandwagon (I see it more as a bandwagon):
Either the whole agitation goes down in the next 1 year as subsidy protests, BringBackOurGirl protest etc or it metamorphoses into a militant group that will be more of a headache to the region than a blessing.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by zendy: 12:33pm On Nov 24, 2015
obailala:
Just like I've always said and will keep saying, the SE, SS, SW and a good chunk of the NC wants regional autonomy. The only zones that are against this are the NW and NE. However, the NW and NE are NOT RESPONSIBLE for the non-actualisation of regional autonomy; rather the foolishness of the southern zones in putting aside their flimsy differences and uniting in this purpose of fighting for regionalism, this foolishness is the reason why regional autonomy has not been achieved since 1970.

Just my little contribution...

You still don't get it. What do you think the problem of Nigeria is? Why do you think there was a civil war? What is responsible for much of the strife in the country? It's about "Oil". That single product affects how all Nigerians think and reason. How do you think that the NC will support federalism? Most of the states in that region are poor and already suffering even with federal allocation. You think they are going to support a project that will cut them off oil revenue and imporverish them all they more? Not a chance. The North will always come together to vote out any proposal for a return federalism at the national assembly with their numerical strenght. Even if the NC wanted federalism, you still need 2/3 votes to scale through and the NE/NW might have the desired leverage to block it. Forget any thought about true federalism in Nigeria, it just won't happen.

2 Likes

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 24, 2015
Eddygourdo:
This is not an ipob thread nor is the intention of this thread to foster hatred amongst ourselves or others. Please I will appreciate if only mature comments are made and mutual respect with decorum observed.

I am really scared for the future, the economic situation in Nigeria is dire and the political class appear clueless in providing a solution to this problem, all governments be it goodluck, obasanjo, yar a dua, buhari, or even the military era that was intertwined with brief periods of civilian rule have all failed us. I thus move the motion for true federalism initiative, many do not want that which is understandable because one never wipes his bottom first before using the toilet. We must first have a developmental blueprint for each region that ensures utilisation of regional resources as well as maximisation of our general wealth. The future of the Igbos is in the hands of our enlightened youths, not the street urchins or traders whose wisdom are limited by exposure. I invite opinions and insights into ways to develop and maximise the potentials of the igbo race. Hopefully once we have determined on paper through intelligent discourse on our future prospects we will seek our own country if true federalism isn't implemented

I implore other tribes that are capable of national building, such as the yorubas and Northerners to observe and take cue from discussions and suggestions offered here. To look inwards towards positioning their people for true federalism or future seccesion.

I will post opinions and suggestions in hope that this thread becomes a fruitful drive towards actualization of the igbo developmental agenda

Please everybody's opinion is an opinion, everybody's suggestion is a suggestion, let's teach people decorum by our conduct in this thread, by respecting differing opinions and rather discussing towards a positive conclusion

We are the leaders of tomorrow, unfortunately tomorrow has come and we are not yet good apprentices talk more of leaders.

It took a SS president, SE aviation minister and decades for SE to get an ordinary International Airport.

Since when have igbos been yearning for a seaport. As long Nigeria's structure remains as it is, we will never get that seaport, but billions is being spent exploring for oil in the north.

They say SE is landlocked to deceive the gullible.

15 Likes

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 24, 2015
Let's start by having a functional seaport in the east.

4 Likes

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Nobody: 12:50pm On Nov 24, 2015
Promhize:

It took a SS president, SE aviation minister and decades for SE to get an ordinary International Airport.

Since when have igbos been yearning for a seaport. As long Nigeria's structure remains as it is, we will never get that seaport, but billions is being spent exploring for oil in the north.

SE is not landlocked, those saying so are trying to play psychological warfare on the Igbos.

It is just that Nigeria has refused to help because we can break out from Obuaku in Abia state or the river niger in Onitsha.

If they hate the SE so much why have they also failed to build Ibaka deep seaport at Akwa Ibom which is in SS?

8 Likes

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by obailala(m): 12:59pm On Nov 24, 2015
zendy:

You still don't get it. What do you think the problem of Nigeria is? Why do you think there was a civil war? What is responsible for much of the strife in the country? It's about "Oil". That single product affects how all Nigerians think and reason. How do you think that the NC will support federalism? Most of the states in that region are poor and already suffering even with federal allocation. You think they are going to support a project that will cut them off oil revenue and imporverish them all they more? Not a chance. The North will always come together to vote out any proposal for a return federalism at the national assembly with their numerical strenght. Even if the NC wanted federalism, you still need 2/3 votes to scale through and the NE/NW might have the desired leverage to block it. Forget any thought about true federalism in Nigeria, it just won't happen.
Nothing is impossible, but some targets are more easily achievable than others. Now which do you think is an easier and a more achievable target?...
1. A return of the regionalism (50% resource control) which Nigeria practised before the war
2. Secession of the SE + SS (assuming the SS would agree to go away with the SE)

Just like it has been rightly pointed out by several great minds, cooperation is the only way forward. With the sheer multitude of people who have come out to protest for secession, just imagine if the subject of those protests was redefined to suit the desires of both the SS and SW (regionalism)?... The entire southern Nigeria would be agog and when Nigeria is held to a standstill, 2/3rd majority or not, regionalism can definitely be achieved.

For any major cause to be achieved, regional cooperation is the key and some compromises have to be made. Unfortunately, the SE believes it can do it alone, a lot of pro-seccesionists today even erroneously assume that the SS is interested in leaving Nigeria with the SE and have without due consultations or permission, forced the SS into the Biafran map. How some people arrive at such conclusions is a mystery to be discussed another day.

2 Likes

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Eddygourdo(m): 1:02pm On Nov 24, 2015
Promhize:

now you are getting my point, number one thing we must achieve is to restrategise politically, we need good men and women in power, we must compete at federal level, we need a seaport, fully utilised, dredged Niger river to enable inland transport and if possible railways, in fact with how industrious ndi igbo are, dubai will be child's play, industrialisation will come. It's difficult to get foreign investors to come to the south East when they will need the lagos seaport, that why agbara in ogun is always a better alternative
Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by dialfa: 1:06pm On Nov 24, 2015
Eddygourdo:
read my response on the thread, hopefully something there answers this pertinent question you asked

Wrong of me to expect courtesy from a hypocrite.

Enjoy the zoo.
Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Eddygourdo(m): 1:14pm On Nov 24, 2015
The yoruba man who spoke above, thanks for you contribution, though you are right but some points you raised are not very accurate about the igbo man. Every tribe has their peculiarity, being financially inclined is our peculiarity and same can be said of the Jews, well you still made valid points,

Back to topic, we Igbos are sometimes enemies of ourselves and we know it, this is the major reason why we can't have a political say at national level, the ipob agitators are ignoring the cracks we know about ourselves because it's easier to focus on others and spell out our hatred for them, this of course won't persists as the moment we secede am sure those very cracks of discord will crop up. This is why I don't consider seccesion yet as a solution till all other avenues have been exhaustively explored. We need to develop a love for the igbo race, a love for ourselves, a love for our fatherland ani igbo, we need reorientation from the mentalities of our fathers, we need change

1 Like

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Eddygourdo(m): 1:16pm On Nov 24, 2015
dialfa:

Enjoy the zoo.
I was courteous to you. Yet you show me lack of respect despite pleas for decorum. OK then.
Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Eddygourdo(m): 1:16pm On Nov 24, 2015
dialfa:

Enjoy the zoo.
I was courteous to you. Yet you show me lack of respect despite pleas for decorum. This thread is meant for intellectuals, please desist. OK then.
Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by dialfa: 1:19pm On Nov 24, 2015
Eddygourdo:
I was courteous to you. Yet you show me lack of respect despite pleas for decorum. This thread is meant for intellectuals, please desist. OK then.

Respect is not demanded. It is earned.
Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Eddygourdo(m): 1:24pm On Nov 24, 2015
dialfa:

Respect is not demanded. It is earned.
I repeat it is meant for intellectuals, look at the posts so far and hopefully you should feel some Shame at your name calling. Please and please leave the thread.
Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by dialfa: 1:30pm On Nov 24, 2015
Eddygourdo:
I repeat it is meant for intellectuals, look at the posts so far and hopefully you should feel some Shame at your name calling. Please and please leave the thread.

stop calling yourself an intellectual. You are on fuckin' nairaland FFS.
Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Eddygourdo(m): 1:32pm On Nov 24, 2015
dialfa:

stop calling yourself an intellectual. You are on fuckin' nairaland FFS.
let me prove to you that I am one. Goodday
Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by dialfa: 1:33pm On Nov 24, 2015
Eddygourdo:
let me prove to you that I am one. Goodday

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Olodos everywhere.
Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Truth4eva: 1:51pm On Nov 24, 2015
Op, I commend you for your good work here. Nevertheless, the earlier we tell ourselves the truth, the better for us. True federalism cannot work in Nigeria. Some states cannot sustain themselves not to talk of bringing a certain percentage to the central government. When this repeats itself severally, these states will depend on other states for survival as if in a pararsitic mode of association. They will become a burden to these other states which can sustain themselves, leading to quarrel, diagreement and disunity. What holds Nigerians together is CRUDE OIL. If it is taken away, one can now see how nigeria looks in reality. If hausas/Fulanis or Yorubas want to secede, nobody lifts an eyebrow. But as soon as Biafrans talk of secession, war will be declared against them. Why? Because of OIL.

1 Like

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Eddygourdo(m): 1:57pm On Nov 24, 2015
Truth4eva:
Op, I commend you for your good work here. Nevertheless, the earlier we tell ourselves the truth, the better for us. True federalism cannot work in Nigeria. Some states cannot sustain themselves not to talk of bringing a certain percentage to the central government. When this repeats itself severally, these states will depend on other states for survival as if in a pararsitic mode of association. They will become a burden to these other states which can sustain themselves, leading to quarrel, diagreement and disunity. What holds Nigerians together is CRUDE OIL. If it is taken away, one can now see how nigeria looks in reality. If hausas/Fulanis or Yorubas want to secede, nobody lifts an eyebrow. But as soon as Biafrans talk of secession, war will be declared against them. Why? Because of OIL.
true, I do agree but this country is blessed with many things other than crude, we just haven't developed many sustainably, we need to start doing that At least for a predefined period. This period should assess the capacity for self sustainace by the different regions with investments made towards these identified areas, we can't implement true federalism now at our current state else all regions will suffer and crumble including igbo land. Thus we must exploit our areas of comparative advantage which exists for all regions and make investments towards them in plan for either full federalism or seccesion
Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by sochima1989(m): 2:07pm On Nov 24, 2015
abeg ehn......why be say some the igbo youths wey read political science and others that claims to know well about politics so so daft and cant think straight but biafra....
its good to be optimistic but, also being realistic and objective should be considered. dont border quoting me cos am not following this trend... but am a proud igbo guy that wants to mary a yoruba girl, base by basement in awusa land......and become a young imo state govano......
chukwumezie uka

3 Likes

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Truth4eva: 2:13pm On Nov 24, 2015
Eddygourdo:
true, I do agree but this country is blessed with many things other than crude, we just haven't developed many sustainably, we need to start doing that At least for a predefined period. This period should assess the capacity for self sustainace by the different regions with investments made towards these identified areas, we can't implement true federalism now at our current state else all regions will suffer and crumble including igbo land. Thus we must exploit our areas of comparative advantage which exists for all regions and make investments towards them in plan for either full federalism or seccesion
It seems that you do not understand the country you are living in. No state or region will fold its hands and see what it has perspired for being used to sustain another state or region, because some states or regions cannot sustain themselves. This is the truth. Why do you think that the nigerian government does not want to implement diversification of economy or true federalism? Your guess is as good as mine. People don't speak so much about oil because it is used to sustain all states. Once true federalism comes into play, everybody will be vigilant to know which state is a parasite and which is the host. When sustainable states see that the unsustainable ones don't contribute as they should, disuinty and disagreement will set in.

1 Like

Re: Mature Igbo Minds.. ..... Let's Mingle by Eddygourdo(m): 2:19pm On Nov 24, 2015
Truth4eva:

It seems that you do not understand the country you are living in. No state or region will fold its hands and see what it has perspired for being used to sustain another state or region, because some states or regions cannot sustain themselves. This is the truth. Why do you think that the nigerian government does not want to implement diversification of economy or true federalism? Your guess is as good as mine. People don't speak so much about oil because it is used to sustain all states. Once true federalism comes into play, everybody will be vigilant to know which state is a parasite and which is the host. When sustainable states see that the unsustainable ones don't contribute as they should, disuinty and disagreement will set in.
that is why I said, true federalism cannot be implemented yet. We must invest in other regions albeit with the oyel money to make the sustainable, once that is achieved, regions van decide to come together as a federation or we all go our separate ways, to agitate for federalism or seccesion today without the above done will never be accepted by the north who are mostly parasitic on the nations economy thanks to their lack of interest in agriculture and avarice to oyel money

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

INEC Planning To Make NIN Compulsory For Voter Registration / Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) / Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.