Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,954 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill (12576 Views)

Offa Robberies: Saraki Asks Buhari To Investigate Michael Adikwu's Death / Saraki Asks Oshiomhole To Resign / Saraki Asks Court To Restrain AGF, Police IG, DSS From Unlawfully Removing Him. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by EcoBrick: 8:33am On Nov 15, 2021
Saraki asks Buhari to disregard controversy on direct primary, sign Electoral Bill into law

November 15, 2021

By Demola Akinyemi

Former Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki, has urged President Muhammadu Buhari to sign the Electoral Bill into law in the interest of the masses and also deepen Nigeria’s democracy, the controversy over direct primaries notwithstanding.

Saraki, who is also former Kwara State governor, said the raging debate on the propriety or otherwise generated by the passage of direct primary for political parties by the National Assembly must not be allowed to scuttle the Electoral Bill.

Speaking with journalists on the sideline of the 9th memoral prayer for his late father, Dr Olusola Saraki, at the family’s Ilofa road residence, GRA, Ilorin, yesterday, Saraki said the important thing was for President Muhammadu Buhari to assent to the Electoral Bill for Nigerians to benefit from its other parts.

He said: “Direct primaries is best for political parties if properly done. But I am sure Nigerians are not prepared for it because there is still a lot of work to be done.

“But now, the National Assembly has passed it, we should make the best out of the situation, rather than allowing the controversy of one item to throw away the other good parts of the bill.

“What is important is for the President to assent to it and enable Nigerians benefit from the other parts.’’

On the performance of the PDP at the recent election in Anambra State where the party came a distant third, Saraki noted that the exercise was a success for Nigeria and democracy.

He described his late father as a selfless leader whose legacies Nigerians should adopt in the light of the country’s sorry situation.

Other dignitaries that graced the event were the Minister for Transportation, State, Gbemisola Saraki; Sen Rafiu Ibrahim; former PDP National Secretary, former Acting National Chairman of PDP, Abubakar Kawu Baraje; former Minister of Transportation, Bio Ibrahim; former speaker of Kwara State House of Assembly, Dr Ali Ahmad; and National Legal Adviser of PDP, Kamaldeen Ajibade, SAN, among others.

The prayer which commenced by 8:00am was led by the Chief Imam of Ilorin, Shiekh Muhammad Bashir Soliu.

The cleric was supported by the Grand Mukadam of Ilorin, Sheikh Sulaiman Dan-Borno, Sheikh Saanu Sheu, and Imam AbdulRazaq Aduagba.

Dan Borno in his sermon, described late Saraki as a star who benefitted everybody that those in government today held their political rise to him.

He called on the children and beneficiaries of late Saraki’s legacies not to allow his footprints die in vain, and called on all those who cherished his legacies to spread the good works of the late politician.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/11/saraki-asks-buhari-to-disregard-controversy-on-direct-primary-sign-electoral-bill-into-law/

1 Like

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by Malory: 8:35am On Nov 15, 2021
Which Buhari? Is the one in Aso rock that barely knows he exists. Nothing works under the lifeless

13 Likes

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by alfred007(m): 8:35am On Nov 15, 2021
We need to do better
Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by Aufbauh(m): 8:52am On Nov 15, 2021
They have started pressurizing Mr. President to sign the electoral bill into law now without due diligence.
When he's done signing it, same people will start picking holes on it as if they were not aware of the content.

12 Likes

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by sapientia(m): 9:51am On Nov 15, 2021
Foolish people that cannot conduct ordinary ward congresses

All direct primaries conducted in Nigeria before now is a total scam

Someone remind me what Andy Uba got in Anambra APC primaries

By the way, Saraki should shut up

He was and is still part of Nigerian problems

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by Sebastine1994(m): 10:08am On Nov 15, 2021
I want buhari to come for a third term. Only that man knows how to manage Nigerians.

Nigerians are people that want to see miracle happen but not willing to make sacrifices. It doesn't matter who the next president is, nothing would still change.

Even if Jesus was our president we would not change. Think about it

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by Chapii: 10:10am On Nov 15, 2021

5 Likes

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by CalcasBest: 10:11am On Nov 15, 2021
Get a professional business or company logo design done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo that can be used for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by tamdun: 10:11am On Nov 15, 2021
No matter how u look at it, direct primary is better

6 Likes

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by chloride6: 10:11am On Nov 15, 2021
On the performance of the PDP at the recent election in Anambra State where the party came a distant third, Saraki noted that the exercise was a success for Nigeria and democracy.

OP are you smoking?

Direct primaries will reduce voter apathy and ensure better candidates emerge.

Direct primaries will also reduce violence in general elections. The lack of public consensus in several areas is what leads to violence because both sides think they have an equal shot at it. It maybe so it some places but in most places we will simply see that most people in the area align with one party. No need to fight on election day we already know the winner.

Say no to godfatherism. Let everyone go and join a political party of their choice in their area. That way we crowd out the negative elements.

On the issue of financing it, middle class Nigerians will finance their parties if they feel included. People go much more in their individual capacity e.g fix roads, buy transformers, do public borehole.

I can personally donate to my party primary if I'm sure some criminals won't override my decision.

4 Likes

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by thaoriginator: 10:14am On Nov 15, 2021
sad

Fela once said... We dey perambulate and we still dey for same same place. Economy, same same place. Malaria,same same place, President, same same place, Oga Senate, same same place. Government, na same same place.

Perambulators
Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by Anozietimi(m): 10:15am On Nov 15, 2021
Malory:
Which Buhari? Is the one in Aso rock that barely knows he exists. Nothing works under the lifeless

And your healthy father with life is the most useless soul among his mate in the village

3 Likes

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by Olakunleyakub(m): 10:15am On Nov 15, 2021
Saraki stand is a great example to know that godfatherism is everywhere part of the country.

Those people are against direct primary because it won't be easy for them to handpick their successors.

4 Likes

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by Maxymilliano(m): 10:16am On Nov 15, 2021
grin

Orun n ya bo, kii se oro enikan' (The sky is falling, is not a matter limited to a person) ... APC will feel the negative implications of Direct primaries more than any other party
Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by ogascomax: 10:22am On Nov 15, 2021
I have said it before that it is the APC guys that are afraid of direct primaries.
Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by stepaside2: 10:23am On Nov 15, 2021
Buhari should hurry and sign that bill into law. While not solving all problems, it helps to reduce influence of overbearing governors and moneybags in the parties. Little steps in the right direction are required

1 Like

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by Praktikals(m): 10:24am On Nov 15, 2021
grin
Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by Mide1data: 10:25am On Nov 15, 2021
Sebastine1994:
I want buhari to come for a third term. Only that man knows how to manage Nigerians.

Nigerians are people that want to see miracle happen but not willing to make sacrifices. It doesn't matter who the next president is, nothing would still change.

why don't you just divide from this useless country and let him rule you.

we no want him, you want him. Then take him and free us, na by force.

2 Likes

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by Odoogu(m): 10:28am On Nov 15, 2021
Can we just do away with these sect of people in the coming elections? Let them be ruling their homes if they are capable enough.

E done do
Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by seyz91(m): 10:33am On Nov 15, 2021
cheesy
Sebastine1994:

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by Yusman316(m): 10:42am On Nov 15, 2021
Sebastine1994:

U echoed my thoughts. I keep telling people Buhari is not the problem of Nigeria, but rather simply a part of it. No country works properly or progresses in the right direction with the wrong kind of system. Likes of which we have in Nigeria. Those who believe things will get better once Buhari is gone, are in for a rude awakening

2 Likes

Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by Gamalielsmind(m): 10:46am On Nov 15, 2021
Springboot:

In 2021 you don't know if saraki a former Sante president is in pdp or APC and you want somone to trust you with loan of 200k? Well, not me.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by eedimo(m): 10:59am On Nov 15, 2021
E choke
Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by bigdammyj: 11:28am On Nov 15, 2021
Noted
Re: Saraki Asks Buhari To Disregard Issues On Direct Primary, Sign Electoral Bill by prizeless(m): 11:33am On Nov 15, 2021

(1) (2) (Reply)

Crush Boko Haram, ISWAP Terrorists Before 2023 - Buhari Tells Service Chiefs / Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted / Boko Haram Spokeman - Nigeria Belongs To ALLAH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.