Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,304 members, 7,954,215 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:26 PM

Economic Policy On Biafrans-wikipedia - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Economic Policy On Biafrans-wikipedia (408 Views)

If You Sit At Home On Biafrans Day I Will Arrest You - Rochas Okorocha / Buhari Has No Economic Policy – Mohammed / Ipob Call On Biafrans To Sign Petition To Un For Secession. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Economic Policy On Biafrans-wikipedia by xmich(m): 8:56am On Nov 24, 2015
"They Igbo have been defeated in war, rendered paupers by monetary policy fiat, their properties declared abandoned and confiscated, kept out of strategic public sector appointments, and deprived of public services. The rest of the country forced them to remain in Nigeria and has continued to deny them equity", said Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, former governor of Central Bank of Nigeria and current Emir of Kano.[41]

Many have argued that the Federal Government through the Post-Civil Indegenization decree of 1972 and 1977 formulated in the National Development Plan, punished and deprived Biafran Igbos economically as banks in line with Federal directive could not give any ethnic Igbo more than twenty Nigerian Naira to start-off live. Biafran Igbos were unable to obtain loans neither could they get more than twenty naira regardless of how much individual had in banks prior to the civil-war, to be able acquire shares from foreign Businesses being indigenized.

[42] "Ask yourselves “why would the banks give Igbos only twenty naira? Did the banks collapse? So why pay less than you were given? So while the banks were giving loans to Hausa and Yorubas to buy Oyibo companies they did not build, Igbos were being cheated out of their rightful moneys," remarked Ena Ofugara.[42]

Laja Odukoya, a lecturer in political science at the University of Lagos, said the Biafran protests are a symptom of Nigeria’s economic problems.

[1]: In majority of these states, infrastructure such as roads, water and electricity are lacking along with medical care and education, as they affirm that even Igbo People have been denied senior political posts such as the Presidency.

[34]: [1]: In many areas of the greater Njaba River, Imo River and upper Orashi River basins, the activities of oil companies have rendered drilling and treatment of water from bore-holes more cumbersome, costlier and unattractive.[43][44]:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nnamdi_Kanu
Re: Economic Policy On Biafrans-wikipedia by immortalcrown(m): 9:09am On Nov 24, 2015
Let me see what those who misquote Biafra as 'Biafra' will comment on this post. God; my Make, is merciful and He created me in his image and likeness, otherwise I would have fasted and prayed that He enslave and torture those who criticize a man that legally fights for his freedom and rights.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Fixed Charges; Abnormality Of A System That Must Be Halted. / FG Seeks Order To Remand Dasuki In Prison Pending His Trial And Revoke His Bail / Lagos Splashes N1.5b On Retirees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.