Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? (37816 Views)

Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' / "The Cleanest Street In Ile-Ife To Receive N100K Every Month" Says Ooni. Photos / What's So Bad About Using Your Left Hand To Collect Or Give Things? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by harristo(m): 9:45pm On Nov 24, 2015
udondeymadt:
It happened to me once in church. I wanted to put my offering with my left hand but d usher passing d offering basket withdrew it saying i should use my right hand instead.. I looked at her & laughed at her gullibility.

grin grin grin

Haven't your pastor told you guys that, putting offering with your left hand is a sign of disrespect towards God? grin
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by harristo(m): 9:45pm On Nov 24, 2015
Theyveedo:
I bought recharge card from an elderly woman today along the street on my way back from an errand. While giving me my change, she passed it with her left hand cos right was occupied but she quickly apologised that I shouldn't be offended.

My question is; why is it offensive to give or receive with the left hand
I know it's a common thing in many cultures but I don't know the reason why.

Plz share your thoughts.

Because it is a taboo.

Taboos are words or actions people avoid because they are thought to bring bad luck.

The left-hand scolding and almost-slapping experience I've had with elders, all had to do with money though. I wonder if this left-hand taboo is only about giving and taking money.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by frisky2good(m): 9:46pm On Nov 24, 2015
Men no dey tamba? grin

sukkot:
maybe cuz the left hand is used by women to tamba undecided
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Nov 24, 2015
Xbee007:
This scenario is not only peculiar to African culture. Even in the West it is offensive and disrespective to offer or receive something with the left hand.
this is were I know you are a bloody lier

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Flashh: 9:52pm On Nov 24, 2015
misspicy:

it portrays the personality behind the moniker
Hmmm... OK!
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by decentamy(f): 9:54pm On Nov 24, 2015
Was going 2ask dis same question...
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by pweetychyka(f): 9:57pm On Nov 24, 2015
sukkot:

Dats not enof reason u know!

And if u feel dats d main reason, Wat about some guys dat uses their ryt hand for pre-intimacy wit their partners or road side chick?...

Anyways from ma own many experience, most elders see it as a sign of disrespect!
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by fromnigeria(m): 9:58pm On Nov 24, 2015
sonofananimal:
then cut ya left hand and see!

In my culture we don't see it as anything but rather regards it as blessing.

Just only one particular tribe don't like it, and that's the Yoruba people.

Shall Yoruba like voodoo like mad so maybe left hand dey destroy there charms
Thats what you know. Am not yoruba and its not acceptance a practice where i come from. Do you understand?
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 24, 2015
Aminat508:
I don't like it too angry
who send you undecided
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 24, 2015
fromnigeria:

Thats what you know. Am not yoruba and its not acceptance a practice where i come from. Do you understand?
yeap I understand!

That's why that culture will never achieve something meaningful
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Georgekyrian(m): 10:27pm On Nov 24, 2015
Its wrong..
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Thelma110(f): 10:35pm On Nov 24, 2015
In this part of the world, it is assumed that receiving or giving out something with your left hand is disrespectful and uncourteous. I have seen my mom scold my sister a number of times for either handing something to her or taking something from her with her left hand. It's just a sign of respect to always use your right hand especially while dealing with someone older than you.
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by AdeniyiA(m): 10:37pm On Nov 24, 2015
it's YORUBATICALLY wrong... cool
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by ewizard1: 10:40pm On Nov 24, 2015
Thelma110:
In this part of the world, it is assumed that receiving or giving out something with your left hand is disrespectful and uncourteous. I have seen my mom scold my sister a number of times for either handing something to her or taking something from her with her left hand. It's just a sign of respect to always use your right hand especially while dealing with someone older than you.
Well said!
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by cozy7(m): 10:42pm On Nov 24, 2015
Demigods:

Only buzh people do that. Superstitious load of bullcrap
Totally agreed bro.

I'm waiting for d bus conductor who will reject my T-fair I'm offering bcoz I used left hand.......RUBBISH!
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by nd07(m): 10:50pm On Nov 24, 2015
maadman:
..Africans and their beliefs.. personally, I see nothing wrong

same with me. hand na hand, all na God's handmade

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by arabianights: 10:51pm On Nov 24, 2015
Demigods:

Only buzh people do that. Superstitious load of bullcrap

Exactly! I was born left handed yet am forced to be right handed due to some old wives folk tales
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by dacovajnr: 10:52pm On Nov 24, 2015
sukkot:
haba Omo eniyan! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by MayhorE(m): 11:03pm On Nov 24, 2015
sukkot:
grin
sukkot:
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Trinxie(f): 11:09pm On Nov 24, 2015
cescky:
once offerd a begger money with my left hand, because my my right was occupied, she rejected it......i thought wow,,,,,

she doesnt need the money then! in fact i vowed to stop giving out money, because i felt she had evil thoughts and intentions when she refused to collect something i inocently offerd from my left hand

just like our other masquerade traditions etc have taken us to the moon and back right?
lol...Masquerade and Ojuju traditions grin
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Ranchhoddas: 11:25pm On Nov 24, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:
Here almost everyone is right handed and makes use of it so it is considered inappropriate to use the left hand
Is there anywhere in the world that majority of the people are not right-handed?
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by kunletoks(m): 11:25pm On Nov 24, 2015
Seems I will start using my left hand to give people things now. am left handed. grin
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:28pm On Nov 24, 2015
Ranchhoddas:
Is there anywhere in the world that majority of the people are not right-handed?

Lots of people are left handed in the US
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by cescky(m): 11:32pm On Nov 24, 2015
Trinxie:

lol...Masquerade and Ojuju traditions grin

yes oo

our ojuju calabar beleifs
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by mikolo80: 11:34pm On Nov 24, 2015
sukkot:
na Bluetooth men de use ba
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by mikolo80: 11:35pm On Nov 24, 2015
damton:
Those are some of our numerous old superstitions.

Even to write with the left hand seems a taboo to some of our people in this part of the world.

I don't know if anyone would decline if I stretched a bag of Dollars with my left hand.

Anyway, that's that and it's what has shaped our history and culture.
So it's held in high esteem

One thing I know is that in yorubaland, using your left hand to give or take anything could attract a hot back slap from some mothers.
Tamba tinz
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Ranchhoddas: 11:39pm On Nov 24, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Lots of people are left handed in the US
Huh!!!What percentage?
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Nov 24, 2015
Lol. Am lefthanded, we mak up 10% of d world. Am proud to be unique, no send anybody
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Nov 24, 2015
Durentt:
Lol. Am lefthanded, we mak up 10% of d world. Am proud to be unique, no send anybody
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Nov 24, 2015
Re: Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? by homirefacuny(m): 12:00am On Nov 25, 2015
damton:
Those are some of our numerous old superstitions.

Even to write with the left hand seems a taboo to some of our people in this part of the world.

I don't know if anyone would decline if I stretched a bag of Dollars with my left hand.

Anyway, that's that and it's what has shaped our history and culture.
So it's held in high esteem

One thing I know is that in yorubaland, using your left hand to give or take anything could attract a hot back slap from some mothers.
Suffered this sometimes while I was growing up.... It's sign of disrespect though in our culture.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Kings Exquisite Cars At The Sokoto Durbar Yesterday (photos) / 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian / Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.