Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,296 members, 7,836,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? (9377 Views)

I Received N740 Thousand Naira In My Bank Account Instead Of N370 Thousand Naira / Why Are Banks Not Opened Today? / I Got Defrauded By My Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by JJYOU: 5:10pm On May 25, 2009
whatever happen to innocent until proven guilty? we keep naming all these banks.  hope some of u are not saboyeurs of the nigerian economy?
Tha_dude:

I'm an old fashion kinda guy, i have said it in a previous post, its better you'all get rid of your ATM cards and revert to cheque books the old fashion way. Our banks arent equipt to deal with these fraud many of which originates from within the bank, your card info could be sold out to fraudsters by bank insiders in the IT dept.
Banks are suppose to be insured i wonder why their insurance firm are not paying out the stolen funds to card owners. Its too risky to think about using an ATM card. Its like one day u think you have money in your account for a project, the next day you wake up and guess what?, i just lost everything and the bank aint giving a damn!, rather they blame it on you and say you allowed fraudsters to sneak peep your card info. The bad news however is that this is just the begining, these fraudsters are perfecting their acts ATM users are locked in with no escape route, its just a matter of time till you are caught up!!! If you are one of those who think it cant happen to you, then think again! even if you dig a hole and burry your ATM card, you will still be at the mercies of the bank insiders at the IT dept who have access to all ur infos.
the day the banks start allowing payment is the day they open an avalanche of claims.  nigeria is generally a something for nothing society everyone will start claiming  for what they knowingly withdraw. so very SAD
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by DonDiara(m): 5:39pm On May 25, 2009
It is possible for somebody to empty your account either you give out your account details or not, because there lots of hackers out there, they can transfer money either through internet banking or some other means, they can hack into any bank's data base and do what ever they like. Such a thing can happen to anybody so watch your back you might be the next person. grin
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by leye1234(m): 6:05pm On May 25, 2009
@poster
If your story is true, my heart goes out to you. Just like i tell people all the time, don"t sign up for ATM. You get redemption in developed economies in a timely fashion. In some cases the bank employees are the people stealing your pasos
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by darqly(m): 6:20pm On May 25, 2009
The compromise is both ways: U have to be aware of de terminal you're using- Are there any devices attached 2 de card reader, or de keypad? Any untoward onlookers or would-be customers? It's called skimming, they use foreign devices attached to the machine to obtain your details, could be a mini-cam even. The most common device is inserted near point of entry of de card reader, it just scoops your info and a card can be cloned al`a-sharp sharp shocked
Stay away from machines that are not in well lit areas, particularly when its dark. Look at your machine closely, observe what's there that SHOULDN'T be there or that wasn't there de last time. Ask questions, whether of staff or security personnel.

The ATM has more pros than cons, we just jumped into it without proper control.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by JJYOU: 6:25pm On May 25, 2009
darqly:

The compromise is both ways: U have to be aware of de terminal you're using- Are there any devices attached 2 de card reader, or de keypad? Any untoward onlookers or would-be customers? It's called skimming, they use foreign devices attached to the machine to obtain your details, could be a mini-cam even. The most common device is inserted near point of entry of de card reader, it just scoops your info and a card can be cloned al`a-sharp sharp shocked
Stay away from machines that are not in well lit areas, particularly when its dark. Look at your machine closely, observe what's there that SHOULDN'T be there or that wasn't there de last time. Ask questions, whether of staff or security personnel.

The ATM has more pros than cons, we just jumped into it without proper control.
UP NIGERIA AS THEY SAY. TRUST US
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by UNLEASHED(m): 6:35pm On May 25, 2009
pele @ poster, you got your card cloned!
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Nobody: 7:24pm On May 25, 2009
there are different ways a scammer can empty your bank account but the ones that are most popular are:

card skimming: the scammer attaches a small card reader on the cash machine, sometimes so small that you wouldnt even see that its there. when you put your card in, it will read the card magnetic field. they get your pin by putting a small hidden camera on the machine as well. the scammer is always around the corner and get the information AS SOON AS YOU TYPED THEM via bluetooth etc. he can then clone the card and empty your account within 10mins.
always check the cash dispensers before you use them.

card cloning: the scammer give a card reader (as big as a lighter) to waiter, shop assistant etc. everytime, you hand your card over, the shop assistant/waiter will swipe it in the scammers card reader. then he will hand it over to the scammer who will then make a clone of your card and go shopping with it.(he wont be able to withdraw from cash dispenser as he doesnt have the pin)

card stealing: (mostly Europe, US) the scammer stays behind you in the queue at the cash dispenser, when you type your pin, he will place himself the right way so that he can see your pin. then you will get your cash and when you finish and wait for the machine to give you your card back, the scammer will throw a handfull of coin at your feet. they will time it perfectly so that the coins will fall at your feet at the same time as the card will be dispense. you will automatically look at your feet while the scammer will grab your card out of the machine. you will then get back up waiting for the cash dispenser to give you your card back, not knowing that someone already took it and is running to another machine to get your cash out!!!!

picture 1 is the cash dispenser with the scammers skimming device, can you tell?!
picture 2 is to show you the difference and how undetectable it can be

Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by laggchick: 10:00pm On May 25, 2009
I'll let you guys in on this, I once met a guy who brokered me a juicy deal to sleep with men and while they are asleep help him steal their sort code numbers from ATM cards for a 100grand!!Wasnt stupid so i didnt take the deal, according to him there's this machine he bought from china which he would use to reproduce that perso'ns ATM card using the code number stolen,and then through that same machine reset your Pin code and clean you out, The scam is nicknamed Track 1,Track 2, Funny name innit?

Anyway,now yall know, keep ur cards safe from chicks and you'll be better off, lol,
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by vicuna: 10:07pm On May 25, 2009
I'm sorry guys, but there is NO way anyone in the entire bank has access to your PIN.

Also, please note that Interswitch has launched their new chip card - Verve, which CANNOT be cloned.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by MaiSuya(m): 11:12pm On May 25, 2009
laggchick:

I'll let you guys in on this, I once met a guy who brokered me a juicy deal to sleep with men and while they are asleep help him steal their sort code numbers from ATM cards for a 100grand!!Wasnt stupid so i didnt take the deal, according to him there's this machine he bought from china which he would use to reproduce that perso'ns ATM card using the code number stolen,and then through that same machine reset your Pin code and clean you out, The scam is nicknamed Track 1,Track 2, Funny name innit?

Anyway,now yall know, keep ur cards safe from chicks and you'll be better off, lol,

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Nobody: 11:28pm On May 25, 2009
these scams are as old as the world and now that any crooks in the planet are in on it, you are hearing about it. before scammers usually preferred to have the details of rich card holder so that they can get rich quick but now there are so many of them that they go for ANYBOD AND EVERYBODY. even a poor person get his account emptied. if you only have 10bucks, they will take it!!!
funny but the Chinese then Nigerians then Russians are the biggest credsit card scammers around.
THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER GIVE YOUR CARD TO A WAITER AND LET HIM GO AWAY TO TAKE PAYMENT!!!!!!! 

its called track1 track2 because the magnetic code on your card has two set of digits that have to be entered to be cloned (track1 and 2)
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by ThinkRait: 8:27am On May 26, 2009
Card crimes are rampant the world over.

Mr Soludo's decision to ban banks from placing their ATMs in public places will help reduce this new crime in Nigeria. You cant go into any bank premises in Nigeria without getting filmed (Hope I'm correct!! ).

Wait oh!!! How did the card cloning machines get into Nigeria Nigerian Customs Service, answer this.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by JJYOU: 9:36am On May 26, 2009
laggchick:

i heard a pastor in the uk said on tele he used to do this i was shocked.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by hackney(m): 9:45am On May 26, 2009
That's Nigeria for you; infact i can see a time when a bank will tell you that you never had an account with them.
And that is exaclty why i dont have a single account in Nigeria.

Nigeria comes up with no technology or innovation but when one is introduced,they learn how to hack\break it in 24hrs.
You people Goodluck sha.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by JJYOU: 9:49am On May 26, 2009
hackney:

That's Nigeria for you; infact i can see a time when a bank will tell you that you never had an account with them.
And that is exaclty why i dont have a single account in Nigeria.

Nigeria comes up with no technology or innovation but when one is introduced,they learn how to hack\break it in 24hrs.
You people Goodluck sha.
how people are not afraid to open thier emails in naija baffles me let alone hear them talk online banking on mostly non secure servers
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by finia(f): 9:56am On May 26, 2009
Here are 20 steps to protect yourself from identity theft -- and seven ways to clean up things if you become a victim.

advertisement
Article Tools
E-mail to a friendTools IndexPrint-friendly versionSite MapArticle IndexDiscuss in a Message BoardDigg This By MSN Money staff
Thieves may sell your information on the black market or use it to obtain money, credit or even expensive medical procedures. Unless you're vigilant in protecting your records, you'll have to work even harder to repair the damage to your credit. The average victim spends 30 to 40 hours rectifying the problem.

Some of the e-threats to your identity are:

Phishing. You get an e-mail that appears to be from your bank or an online service, most often PayPal or eBay, instructing you to click on a link and provide information to verify your account.

Pharming or spoofing. Hackers redirect a legitimate Web site's traffic to an impostor site, where you'll be asked to provide confidential information.

Smishing. This is phishing done with text messaging on your smart phone. It instructs you to visit a bogus Web site.

Spyware. You've unknowingly downloaded illicit software when you've opened an attachment, clicked on a pop-up or downloaded a song or a game. Criminals can use spyware to record your keystrokes and obtain credit card numbers, bank-account information and passwords when you make purchases or conduct other business online. They also can access confidential information on your hard drive.

You don't need to have a computer to become a victim.

Vishing -- voice phishing. You get an automated phone message asking you to call your bank or credit card company. Even your caller ID is fooled. You call the number and are asked to punch in your account number, PIN or other personal information. (See "Your phone may be under attack."wink

Bank-card "skimming." Crooks use a combination of a fake ATM slot and cameras to record your account information and PIN when you use a cash machine. Your credit or debit card also can be skimmed by a dishonest store or restaurant worker armed with a portable card reader. (See "Is your waiter a thief?"wink

Crooks will steal your wallet or go through your mail or trash.

More than half of identity theft cases involve credit card fraud. Checking accounts are the second most popular target. But some crooks have other plans:

At least 250,000 people have been the victim of medical identity theft in the last several years. (See "Diagnosis: Identity theft."wink Crooks use fraudulently obtained personal information to get expensive medical procedures or dupe insurance companies into paying for procedures that were not done.

The victims of about 5% of reported identity theft cases are children. The fraud often goes undetected for years -- until the young adult applies for credit. (See "Stolen innocence: Child identity theft."wink

20 tips to protect yourself
You can take steps to protect yourself from identity fraud:

Keep your confidential information private. Your bank or credit card company won't call or e-mail to ask for your account information. They already have it.

Keep an inventory of everything in your wallet and your PDA, including account numbers. Don't keep your Social Security card or any card with your Social Security number, such as an insurance card, in your wallet.

Stop getting banking and credit card information in the mail. (See "Go paperless for safer banking."wink

Monitor your bank and credit card transactions for unauthorized use. Crooks with your account numbers usually start small to see if you'll notice.

Keep your vehicle registration and insurance forms in a sealed envelope in your glove box and lock it and your car when at home or away.

If you conduct business online, use your own computer. A public computer is less secure, as is wireless Internet.

Look for suspicious devices and don't let anyone stand nearby when you use an ATM. Take your card and receipt with you. Keep your PIN in your head, not in your wallet.

Don't store credit card numbers and other financial information on your cell phone. (See "Is your cell phone spilling your secrets?"wink

If you're job hunting using resume Web sites, don't apply unless the employer has a verifiable address.

Protect your computer from vulnerability:

Keep system and browser software up to date and set to the highest security level you can tolerate. Install anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall protection, and keep them up to date as well. When possible use hardware firewalls, often available through your broadband connection router.

If you use wireless Internet access, make sure that you get help from someone who understands wireless security when you set up your access point or router.

Back up your data and store it way from your computer.

Don't open e-mails from strangers. Malware can be hidden in embedded attachments and graphics files.

Don't open attachments unless you know who sent them and what they contain. Never open executable attachments. Configure Windows so that the file extensions of known file types are not hidden.

Don't click on pop-ups. Configure Windows or your Web browser to block them.

Don't provide your credit card number online unless you are making a purchase from a Web site you trust. Reputable sites will always direct you to a secure page with an URL starting with https:// whenever you actually make purchases or are asked to provide confidential information.

Use strong passwords: at least six characters, including at least one symbol and number, and no reference to your name or other personal information. Use a different password for every site that requires one, and change passwords regularly.

Never send a user name, password or other confidential information via e-mail.

Consider turning off your computer when you're not using it or at least putting it in standby mode.

Don't keep passwords, tax returns or other financial information on your hard drive.

7 steps to clean up the mess
If you suspect your identity may be compromised, place a fraud alert with the three credit bureaus. When you place an alert, you are entitled to a free copy of your credit report. After that, take advantage of the free annual reports the bureaus are required to give all consumers. Stagger your requests so that you get a report every four months.

If you've been phished, contact the bank or company named in the fraudulent e-mail. You also may want to notify the Internet Crime Complaint Center and forward the e-mail to spam@uce.gov.

If you are the victim of identity theft, take the following steps:

Make an identity-theft report to the police and get a copy. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. Also, contact the office of your state's attorney general; you may be able to file a report there.

Close accounts that have been tampered with. Contact each company by phone and again by certified letter. Make sure the company notifies you in writing that the disputed charges have been erased. Document each conversation and keep all records.

Place a seven-year fraud alert or a "freeze" on your credit reports. (See "Lock your credit away from ID thieves."wink

Begin the process of having the fraudulent information removed from your credit reports. (See "Don't let credit-report errors fester."wink

Consider purchasing identity theft insurance. It cannot protect you from becoming a victim of identity theft, but it can help you pay the cost of reclaiming your financial identity.

Find victim support at the Identity Theft Resource Center.
THIS ACTUALLY COPIED FROM THE WEB. I HOPE SOME PARTS CAN BE OF HELP.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by solosimple(m): 1:22pm On May 26, 2009
5. A bank official might have compromise your card by having all your card details.
There are some bad eggs in the Banking sector. I believe one of their staff cud have actually done it.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Nobody: 2:18pm On May 26, 2009
ThinkRait:

Wait oh!!! How did the card cloning machines get into Nigeria Nigerian Customs Service, answer this.

to clone a card, a scammer only need a computer, the right software, a credit card swipe machine(sold anywhere and not illegal) and the skimming/card reader device that can sometimes be as small as a lighter. how can custom anywhere in the world stop them!?
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by maxtop(m): 3:00pm On May 26, 2009
Sorry ooo, some people are heartless sha. pele
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Pittbaby(f): 4:40pm On May 26, 2009
@Tha Dude

I support your suggestions, but lets not relegate ourselves to the 20th century because of fear. I think a few cautious practices can still make ATM cards useful

1. Your ATM Accesible bank account should not contain you life savings . You should have two accounts Checking (ATM Accesible) and Savings (can only be withdrawn from with a Cheque book. Your ATM account should only contain small change for day to day expenses
2. Be cautious when using you ATM in public
3. Do not provide ATM information to anyone except your banker (yes not even your PAPA), and watch what websites you use your card on

This way if you are a victim of fraud , the impact is reduced. ATMs/ Debit Card are a convenience , hopefully Naija Tech will catch up so that , bigger transactions are safe as well
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by dammizz(m): 6:30pm On May 26, 2009
dis' indeed a sad story
Lack of security is one of the major problems we have here in Nig. I want to believe that bank operators are into this one.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by BenHundred(m): 7:35pm On May 26, 2009
Really sorry to hear this. Nigeria just keeps slumping.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Nobody: 9:58pm On May 26, 2009
@poster.
visit this thread as it may help
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-276772.0.html

never trust anyone, Not even that security man in uniform.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by mybad: 10:28pm On May 26, 2009
Did you receive sms or email alerts for the withdrawals from your bank?
I was debited recently for a transaction i entered online (Ever heard of pinreload.com) and until i received an email from my bank i'd forgotten i paid for that service.
Meanwhile, i'm still thinking its a scam cos i've not got what i paid for five days after.
My ATM card has also not dispensed cash since then, could pinreload.com have emptied my account?
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Nezan(m): 5:13pm On May 28, 2009
I will destroy my ATM card and dis-enable its usage. Naija and fraud, its not worth it!!!!!
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by Nobody: 5:33pm On May 28, 2009
people, dont get it wrong, IT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE AROUND THE GLOBE
these crooks dont discriminate, if you have millions or just kobos, they will take it ALL.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by chuksme(m): 8:35am On Jun 03, 2009
kalmebad, i am sorry to have delayed to reply your question. The account is Savings account FirstBank.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by chuksme(m): 11:11am On Jun 03, 2009
dhaewood, Mr man, this is not Job section. You should post this at job section. Mr man don't Deceive people, we have heard of this. there is fraud somewhere, readers beware.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by No2Atheism(m): 2:32pm On Jun 03, 2009
1. Spread your money around

2. Never purchase anything from an online nigerian website, because even the international corporation ones are struggling with issues of security, hence imagine how porous nigerian websites would be.

3. Always operate a savings and current account make sure your current account has the less money and is the only one being used for ATM cards.

4. Electronic money would always be a problem, simply because it was created to allow Bankers to easily create money out of thin air, steal money without paper trail or transfer money undetected. Hence it always has loop holes. Do not let anyone deceive you into thinking that it would get safer. Fraudsters would always be ahead of the security, because they always have insiders within banks giving them information.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by chuksme(m): 4:42pm On Jun 03, 2009
No2Atheism . You made sense there. one account should have ATM while the other not, especially savings account. i advise every one not to activate your savings account with ATM.
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by gbengaijot(m): 6:22pm On Jun 03, 2009
I was in my room in Ibadan, Oyo State on a sunday afternoon early this year, when i recieved a text message on my fone. A withdrawal of N2,000 has been made on my saving account via ATM machine at a IBplc bank in Akure!.

For a moment, i thought i was dreaming, i rushed to my wardrobe to check for my card in my wallet. I saw it there, lying right in front of me. In actual sense, someone has withdrawn N2,000 out of my account with another card cloned in Akure, while i was in ibadan

Funny enough, i rarely leave more than 10K on my ATM card so as to avoid extravagant spending for the weekend. I spent 8K and had 2k left. Which simply means that the scammer would have withdrawn more if the account had more cash.

I went to the bank the following day complaining about this and the customer care person told me to cancel my ATM. I did, and then i asked him what will be done to my N2,000, he simply replied me that "It was chicken change", Can you guys imagine
Re: Somebody Emptied My Bank Account: Are Banks Safe Afterall? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:30pm On Jun 03, 2009
A new twist on the ATM interswitch email scam. and this one is bound to get ETB customers dead on the ball.

1: You get the usual email asking you to register your ATM card.
2: If you are ignorant and gullible,  you click on a link that takes you here http://www.equitorialtrustbank.com/index/res/service.html (See picture below)
3: If you are suspicious at first, you will notice the domain belongs to Equitorial Trust Bank. so you double-check and go the main site. viola! it is ETB's official website and you can confirm the information and numbers especially if you are an ETB customer. so what the HECK it is from my bank. let me just register my ATM. i thot thos 419 boys were at it again. so you ente ryour details as asked (faithful to detail because you don't want to mess up and not use your atm because of your error)
4: The form goes through without any error (phew, i have registered my atm, let me tell my colleagues to do the same before a queue starts)
5: The form dumps you on the real Interswitch website so you are finally satisfied you have not been scammed.
6: Minutes later you start getting sms alerts of withdrawals on your account.  grin  grin grin grin grin grin

I am sure that;s how you got scammed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Uses Flash Me Cash? / What Business Can Yield 1million Naira Profit Every Month? / NNPC, Kogi To Produce 84 Million Litres Of Bio-fuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.