Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,121 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns (76668 Views)

The School That Has Produced 5 Head Of States A Prime Minister / This College Have Produced 5 President In Nigeria,and Many Mi / ABU Produced A President, 3 VPs, 25 Governors & Others In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by gidjah(m): 11:37am On Nov 26, 2015
Ever proud to have passed tru that school.very big with mighty structures(though dillapidated structures all over)with acient walls.many people will weep when they get to this sch physically.lots of teachers but never in class,thats my school BAREWA COLLEGE ZARIA KADUNA.
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by irumanle(m): 11:59am On Nov 26, 2015
basilo101:
This school is just like ABU, their products are only local politicians, no internatinal achiever, only half baked beneficiaries of quota system
Stil waiting for the name of your Alma mata
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by franklingud(m): 12:00pm On Nov 26, 2015
End time school producing end time governors and presidents. Aru!
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by irumanle(m): 12:01pm On Nov 26, 2015
wink2015:
[size=18pt]Who has pictures of Barewa College, Please post so that we can see the college how it look like in both those days and present days.[/size]
God bless you
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by dreams1987(m): 12:23pm On Nov 26, 2015
The school is now a shadow of its former self. The discipline and sound education it once provided doesn't exist again. Buh it still has good structures though cos it was renovated by BOBA or so
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by mart2k(m): 12:43pm On Nov 26, 2015
TheophilusA:
By KIKELOMO IWAJOMO

Ever wondered the secondary school some of Nigeria's military/democratic presidents attended? Barewa College in Zaria, Kaduna State. Founded in 1921 by British Governor General Hugh Clifford, Barewa College was originally known as Katsina College. The name was changed to Kaduna College in 1938 and then Government College, Zaria in 1949 before its current name Barewa College. Below are a list of former Nigerian presidents, ministers, governors who attended the prestigious college.

- Alh. Ahmadu Bello, Premier of Northern Nigeria from 1954 to 1966
- Alh. Abubakar Tafawa-Balewa, Prime Minister of Nigeria from 1960 to 1961
- Gen. Murtala Mohammed, Military President from 1975 to 1976
- Gen. Yakubu Gowon(retd.), Military President from 1966 to 1975
- Alh. Shehu Shagari, President of Nigeria from 1979 to 1983
- Alh. Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, President of Nigeria from 2007 to 2010
- Mallam Adamu Ciroma , 3-time Minister (Industries; Agriculture; and Finance)
- Prof. Jubril Aminu - 2-time Minister (Education; Petroleum and Mineral Resources)
- Alh. Umaru Dikko - Minister of Transportation
- Alh. Ibrahim Mahmud Alfa, Ex-Governor of Kaduna State
- Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, Governor of Kaduna State
- Dr. Orji Uzor-Kalu, Ex-Governor of Abia State
- Alhaji Mohammed Bello - (current) Minister of FCT
- Lt. Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazzau(retd.) - (current) Minister of Interior
- Air Commodore Ibrahim Alkali(retd.) - Ex-Military Governor of Kwara State
- Prof. Bolaji Akinyemi - Ex-Minister of Education
- Hon. Justice Idris Legbo Kutigi - Former Chief Justice of Nigeria(CJN)
- Hon. Justice Uwais - Former Chief Justice of Nigeria
- Hon. Justice Mohammed Bello, Former Chief Justice of Nigeria

http://dawntodusknews.com/nigerian-school-that-produced-5-presidents-over-20-governors-ministers-cjns/
Nonsense!!! If not because of extende Military rule dis set of pple wl neva av d oppurtunity to govern dis country

1 Like

Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by erabe(m): 12:45pm On Nov 26, 2015
BOBA
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by Welcomme: 1:20pm On Nov 26, 2015
SMH. Go to that school now and see the way it has turned to.
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by rexesq(m): 1:46pm On Nov 26, 2015
tongue I'm glad I was a student of this school. although I couldn't graduate from it due to the sharia conundrum, I still have respect for it. I recall Mallam Mansir Bello, Mallam Danjuma, Mallam Galadima, Mallam Sanusi Bello, Abubakar Tanko (the principal, as he then was) among others. I recall the various houses namely, Nagwamatse house, Clifford house, Bello Kagara (BK) house, Dan Hausa house, Ja'Afaru house, Suleiman Bariu (SB) house, and Mort house. I recall the various games we played. I won't forget dangerous nicknames of our seniors then; names like: Bagulism, Vandalism, spirit, suicide, dogo etc. old sweet days. I can't forget the 124 strokes of cain I received from my own school father towards the end of the term. chai! it was a daring experience never to have a bath for at least 4 days... etc. it is well.
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by laudate: 1:53pm On Nov 26, 2015
Promhize:

By contrast the South, invaded by missionaries, the
precursors of mass-education, soon developed an avid
thirst for education in all its forms. By 1967 when the
Eastern Region pulled out of Nigeria it alone had more
doctors, lawyers and engineers than any other country in
Negro Africa. Missionary work in the North which might
have eased that area into the twentieth century was
effectively stopped by Lugard at the request of the Emirs
when he pledged to discourage Christian apostolic work
north of the Kabba Line." - Frederick Forsyth (pre-independence British journalist and author).

You are just recycling Frederick Forsyth's book on every thread. It looks as if you just read the book, and you now want to shove it down everyone's throat. This thread is about Barewa College, and not Frederick Forsyth who was a biased, MI6 double-agent on the payroll of Ojukwu. No self-respecting scholar who has studied the civil war thoroughly, would take him seriously. People take his works with a pinch of salt. sad

Lugard's pledge to discourage Christian apostolic work in the North was not really successful, as large areas in the Middle-Belt converted to Christianity, including large communities in Southern Kaduna, Taraba etc, and even parts of the core North. Churches like The Evangelical Church of West Africa now called Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA), Church of Christ in Nigeria (COCIN), The Baptist Missionary Society or Baptist Convention etc, won converts and planted several churches in the North.

Stop quoting Forsyth's comments and works out of context, and review it against the historical realities of that era, as well as successive events that have taken place, so that your comments can be meaningful. undecided

1 Like

Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 26, 2015
laudate:

You are just recycling Frederick Forsyth's book on every thread. It looks as if you just read the book, and you now want to shove it down everyone's throat. This thread is about Barewa College, and not Frederick Forsyth who was a biased, MI6 double-agent on the payroll of Ojukwu. No self-respecting scholar who has studied the civil war thoroughly, would take him seriously. People take his works with a pinch of salt.

M16 agent. What won't someone hear from you guys. Lol

I was replying someone so my reply isn't out of context.

Are you aware that Frederick Forsyth has documented other wars and his books are widely acclaimed and have been immensely successful.
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by Nobody: 2:05pm On Nov 26, 2015
laudate:

You are just recycling Frederick Forsyth's book on every thread. It looks as if you just read the book, and you now want to shove it down everyone's throat. This thread is about Barewa College, and not Frederick Forsyth who was a biased, MI6 double-agent on the payroll of Ojukwu. No self-respecting scholar who has studied the civil war thoroughly, would take him seriously. People take his works with a pinch of salt. sad

Lugard's pledge to discourage Christian apostolic work in the North was not really successful, as large areas in the Middle-Belt converted to Christianity, including large communities in Southern Kaduna, Taraba etc, and even parts of the core North. Churches like The Evangelical Church of West Africa now called Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA), Church of Christ in Nigeria (COCIN), The Baptist Missionary Society or Baptist Convention etc, won converts and planted several churches in the North.

Stop quoting Forsyth's comments and works out of context, and review it against the historical realities of that era, as well as successive events that have taken place, so that your comments can be meaningful. undecided

What are you saying? The crux of the matter is that, easterners were more educated, civilised, industrialized, than the north before and after independence.
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by laudate: 2:13pm On Nov 26, 2015
Promhize:

M16 agent. What won't someone hear from you guys. Lol

I was replying someone so my reply isn't out of context.

Are you aware that Frederick Forsyth has documented other wars and his books are widely acclaimed and have been immensely successful.

Google is your friend. Do the research. And yes, you were replying someone, by using a comment that was taken out of context.

In His Memoir, Fredrick Forsythe Reveals He Spied for MI6 During Nigerian Civil War | ThisDay Newspapers | 31 Aug 2015

He is known today as the author of peerless spy thrillers, but his expertise was hard won. In extracts from his memoirs, Frederick Forsyth reveals how he worked for the MI6 to spy on the Biafran government during the Nigerian Civil War.

Most people have a problem with the various organs of the British intelligence community, typified by a seeming inability to work out which is which.

There are three main organs. The least-mentioned is the biggest: Government Communications Headquarters, (GCHQ) based in a vast doughnut-shaped complex outside Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Its task is mainly signals intelligence.

Alongside GCHQ is the Security Service or MI5. Its task is in-country security against foreign espionage, foreign and domestic terrorism and home-grown treachery.

The one regarded as the more glamorous is the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS), usually referred to by a title it renounced years ago as MI6. Those inside the SIS call it the Office; those outside use the phrase the Firm, and the staffers of the Firm are the Friends. Not to be confused with the CIA, which is the Agency or the Company, its staff are the Cousins.

There is often confusion between the Secret Service and the Security Service, but everyone remotely concerned is universally described by those on the outside with another misnomer, that of “spy”. The true spy is almost certainly a foreigner employed deep inside the clandestine fabric of his own country who is prepared to abstract his country’s covert information and hand it over to his real employers.

The go-between is called an “asset” and the full-time employee who runs him is his “handler”. There is the relatively new nomenclature of “spook” but I never heard the word “spy” used within that world. Only newspapers and television use it, usually wrongly.

In late 1968 I was sought out by a member of the Firm called Ronnie. He made no bones about what he was and we hit it off. There are times in your life when you meet someone and in short order decide that he is a thoroughly decent fellow and you can trust him. If you are ever deceived in this later, it is like a hot dagger.

Ronnie was an orientalist with good Mandarin but to his bewilderment had been made head of the Africa desk. He admitted he knew little about Africa and less about what was really going on inside Biafra, the breakaway eastern region of Nigeria that was at war with the central government.

What he did know was that I had reported from Biafra for the BBC — and had resigned after it banned me from going back there for refusing to toe the British Establishment’s dishonest official line on the conflict. Since then I had been reporting on the war as a freelance. Before first going to Biafra, I had been given a minutely detailed briefing by a man from the West African Service of Bush House, the famed BBC World Service, the official voice of Britain.

The east, he said, was the homeland overwhelmingly of the Ibo people, whose collective character was long-term trouble­some. On a spurious basis and led by the military governor of the region, a self-serving rogue called Colonel Emeka Ojukwu, they had declared secession from the very fine republic of Nigeria. Its head of state, the marvellous Colonel Yakubu Gowon, had no choice but to use the federal army to reconquer the east, which was styling itself the Republic of Biafra.

When I reached Enugu, the Biafran capi­tal, and recounted this briefing to the British deputy high commissioner, Jim Parker, who was stationed there and was steeped in knowledge of the country, he listened grim-faced and then put his face in his hands.

The reason became clear as he explained to me what was really going on. Every word I had been given was complete and utter garbage, but it was the official view of Harold Wilson’s government. When I subse­quently reported the truth back to London, I was accused of bias.

By the time Ronnie approached me, after 15 months of the Nigeria-Biafra ­conflict, the Nigerian army was being ­quietly equipped with torrents of British weaponry, shipped out covertly by the Wilson government, which was assuring one and all that it was neutral.

But a debate was beginning and was made more intense by the torrent of ­hideous pictures showing Biafran babies reduced to barely alive skeletons. Public marches were start­ing in London; notable ­figures were protesting.

The debate might be at a very high level and in complete secrecy but the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), which backed the Nigerian government, was fighting a rearguard action for the minds of the vacillating Wilson government.

I think Ronnie and I spent about 20 hours over several days while I explained how bad things were: children were now dying like flies. Had I not trusted his word, I would never have agreed to what came next.

THE task of SIS is foreign information-gathering and its presence is worldwide, with a “station” somewhere in almost all British embassies and ­sometimes ­consulates. Basically, it seeks to discover and forewarn.

Politicians are wont to sneer when in opposition but drool with pleasure when, in office, they are taken to a quiet room to explained to them what is really going on rather than what they thought was going on.

Politicians loathe being taken by ­surprise, but forewarning depends on knowing what the bad people are planning, are intending or have in mind. As that is rarely given away, it has to be discovered clandestinely. Hence the espionage.

This broadly devolves into three ­categories: electronic intelligence or Elint, the scouring of the surface of the world with look-down cameras in ­satellites, drones or warplanes; signals intelligence, Sigint, intercepting everything the bad people say to each other even when they think they have absolute privacy; and Humint, or human intelligence-gathering.

Britain has never been able to compete with the vast budgets of the United States and has no space programme, but it brings to the table a worthwhile contribution in Humint. Infiltrating an agent into the heart of a tricky situation can produce more product than all the gizmos could ever see or hear. It is the speciality of the SIS.

Considering the 60 million-plus population of the UK and the size of its gross national product, it has always had a smaller SIS than almost any other developed nation in the world — and thus cheaper. The British taxpayer is far from shortchanged. There is a quixotic reason for this. Unlike all other agencies, the Firm has always been able to rely on an ad hoc army of volunteers ­prepared to help out if asked nicely. http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/in-his-memoir-fredrick-forsythe-reveals-he-spied-for-mi6-during-nigerian-civil-war/218972/
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by laudate: 2:16pm On Nov 26, 2015
Promhize:

What are you saying? The crux of the matter is that, easterners were more educated, civilised, industrialized, than the north before and after independence.

Keep recycling this propaganda, if it makes you feel better. It is really amusing to see you being brainwashed by Forsythe's book.
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by peterock74s(m): 2:22pm On Nov 26, 2015
I'm proud to be an old boy of that school (BOBA)
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by danjaba(m): 2:43pm On Nov 26, 2015
O yes. A proud graduate of Barewa College.
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by perrezy(m): 3:00pm On Nov 26, 2015
DickDastardly:
Na who dem hep
That school must be closed down asap to avoid producing more leeches that destroy our country.
End time skuu cool
Guy u finish work joor

1 Like

Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by engrjacuzzi: 3:16pm On Nov 26, 2015
I was expecting obj and PMB on the list
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by samilaki: 3:24pm On Nov 26, 2015
Am a product of d sckol! D sckol is stil standing tall. Bacoza 2001 Dan-hausa house
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by deramarks(f): 4:01pm On Nov 26, 2015
U didnot do it well
Young03:
mtcheewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwewwwwww
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by darlenese(f): 5:23pm On Nov 26, 2015
How come buhari 's name isn't here
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by DoTheNeedful: 6:51pm On Nov 26, 2015
Riversides2003:
Baptist boys high school Abeokuta BBHS all the way
Nulli Secundus grin
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by Nobody: 6:58pm On Nov 26, 2015
Adamu oleburukwu college.
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by umar4info(m): 7:11pm On Nov 26, 2015
citizenY:

It is a shame.
Haters
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by HBson: 8:16pm On Nov 26, 2015
we still have the school in these generation of ours! :
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by Young03(m): 8:27pm On Nov 26, 2015
deramarks:
U didnot do it well

Choi, Dera baby, kee nke na eme na ogbee
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by citizenY(m): 9:36pm On Nov 26, 2015
umar4info:
Haters

Go and see for yourself.... or ask anyone in Zaria.
Re: Barewa College Produced 5 Presidents, Over 20 Governors, Ministers, Cjns by EricDonn(m): 10:15pm On Nov 26, 2015
Useless writeup, all these long stories without a single picture of the school instead u are bugging us with pictures of the same pple we see everyday.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

WAEC Releases 2012/2013 WASSCE Results / Unaab Aka Funaab Official Thread For 2012/2013 Admission / Professor Helped His Male Student Carry His Baby During Classes (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.