Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,148 members, 7,815,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims (737 Views)

Catholic Bishops Attack Father Mbaka For Anti-jonathan Prophecies. / FG not doing enough to prevent anarchy -Catholic bishops / Why We Pulled Out Of CAN — Catholic Bishops (Published 2012) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by seyenko(m): 9:44am On May 26, 2009
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=144350
Our RCCGs, KICCs and Winners Chapel will not see this, why should they? They are just one man business disguised as churches
Re: Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by banom(m): 10:34am On May 26, 2009
Elephant donation
Re: Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:49pm On May 26, 2009
Does anyone care to know what Jesus had to say about such honourable acts?

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.  Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.  But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.   -- Matthew 6:1-4

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by KunleOshob(m): 1:14pm On May 26, 2009
@OLAADEGBU
As a christian you should be more interested in exemplifiying this worthy cause the catholic bishops are engaging in and probablby encouraging your church to get involved in similar projects, but all you can do is to look for a way to critisize the way they are going about their chrisitan duties just becos you have something against the catholic church. Christ also said "he that is without sin should cast the first stone" i am quite certain that if we take a closer look at the church you worship in, you would be found wanting in several departments. My advice to you as a christian brother is that you let the love of christ reign supreme in your life and you also learn to keep his final commandment to believers which is to love one and other.

John 13:34-35:
34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”

By showing dislike for a particular group of christians you are showing to the world that you are not a disciple of christ as indicated in verse 35 above
Re: Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:20pm On May 26, 2009
@KunleOshob,

It does not surprise me that you did not address what Jesus had to say about the giving of alms.  Is this because you do not care or that you have been so blinded by the god of this world that you cannot see what Jesus meant when He said what He said.  Jesus did not only always say the truth He is the Truth and if you have any love for the truth you will find out what Jesus had to say on any particular issue instead of quoting His words out of context as you usually do.

Jesus was speaking to His disciples here and to those who wanted to know the will of the Father.  I am sure this was one of the reasons why the hypocritical pharisees hated him, because He spoke the truth.  If I say the truth that Jesus pointed out does that make me a hater?  Those who hate the truth as you have shown will think that I am hating on them but the reality is that you hate the light of the gospel truth but prefer the applause of men.  The truth must be said as Jesus did even if it hurts and is bitter but that is what will eventually heal and sweeten.

It was Adrian Rogers that said "It is better to be divided in truth than to be united in error, it is better to speak truth that hurts and then heals than to speak a lie; it is better to be hated for telling the truth than to be loved for telling a lie; it is better to stand alone with truth than to be wrong with the multitude . . . The religion of today is 'get-along-ism.'  It is time for men and women of God to stand,[even] if they have to stand alone."

So my advise to the religious hypocrites on this forum is to take heed to the words of Jesus Christ who loved us and gave Himself for us so that we can be saved through faith alone in His blood that was shed on the cross of Calvary for the remission of our sins and not in addition of the works of our hands.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: It is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.  -- Ephesians 2:8,9

This applies to all who are called by the name of the Lord whether you are in the RCC, Pentacostal, Evangelical, Orthodox historic churches or whatever place you worship, if you are to be saved it would be by faith alone in Christ's atonement.  Works of righteousness is only a product of this faith, it is Christ working in us to do God's will, as we obey.
Re: Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by rotimy(m): 3:55pm On May 26, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

@KunleOshob,

It does not surprise me that you did not address what Jesus had to say about the giving of alms. Is this because you do not care or that you have been so blinded by the god of this world that you cannot see what Jesus meant when He said what He said. Jesus not always said the truth He is the Truth and if you have any love for the truth you will find out what Jesus had to say on any particular issue instead of quoting His words out of context as you usually do.

Jesus was speaking to His disciples here and to those who wanted to know the will of the Father. I am sure this was one of the reasons why the hypocritical pharisees hated him, because He spoke the truth. If I say the truth that Jesus pointed out does that make me a hater? Those who hate the truth as you have shown will think that I am hating on them but the reality is that you hate the light of the gospel truth but prefer the applause of men. The truth must be said as Jesus did even if it hurts and is bitter but that is what will eventually heal and sweeten.

It was Adrian Rogers that said "It is better to be divided in truth than to be united in error, it is better to speak truth that hurts and then heals than to speak a lie; it is better to be hated for telling the truth than to be loved for telling a lie; it is better to stand alone with truth than to be wrong with the multitude . . . The religion of today is 'get-along-ism.' It is time for men and women of God to stand,[even] if they have to stand alone."

So my advise to the religious hypocrites on this forum is to take heed to the words of Jesus Christ who loved us and gave Himself for us so that we can be saved through faith alone in His blood that was shed on the cross of Calvary for the remission of our sins and not in addition of the works of our hands.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: It is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. -- Ephesians 2:8,9

This applies to all who are called by the name of the Lord whether you are in the RCC, Pentacostal, Evangelical, Orthodox historic churches or whatever place you worship, if you are to be saved it would be by faith alone in Christ's atonement. Works of righteousness is only a product of this faith, it is Christ working in us to do God's will, as we obey.
Ny dear, Jesus did not condemn alms giving. What He is against is hypocritical alms giving the Pharisees were used to. When He feed 5000 hungry folks, the Jews heard about it and chased him around with flying boats for more bread. read John 6
Re: Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by KunleOshob(m): 4:56pm On May 26, 2009
@OLAADEGBU
Why are you being so defensive and antagonistic, i never said that what you quoted about what Jesus said is not the truth. What i raised is that as a christian the only thing you could point out in this commendable act on the part of the catholic bishops is that they made it public which is against the teachings of christ. If you were not biased against them you should first have commended the act and encouraged it before pointing out that they went about it the wrong way.
Re: Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:04pm On May 26, 2009
rotimy:

Ny dear, Jesus did not condemn alms giving. What He is against is hypocritical alms giving the Pharisees were used to. When He feed 5000 hungry folks, the Jews heard about it and chased him around with flying boats for more bread. read John 6

True.  Jesus did not condemn the giving of alms but the motive by which they gave it.  These hypocrites that Jesus was referring to were literally sounding trumpets under the pretext of calling the poor even though their motive was to gratify themselves by giving alms in the public.  That was what Jesus condemned.

Jesus fed more than 5,000 people who were willing to learn what He had to say.  He as God multiplied by creating fish and bread to feed those who were ready and willing to feed on the bread of life.  Did He tell His disciples to publicise it?  There is nothing wrong with the giving of alms but the moment you begin to substitute it with the work of salvation that Christ has already done then you entering into the deception of the devil which many religious people are falling in today.
Re: Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:08pm On May 26, 2009
KunleOshob:

@OLAADEGBU
Why are you being so defensive and antagonistic, i never said that what you quoted about what Jesus said is not the truth. What i raised is that as a christian the only thing you could point out in this commendable act on the part of the catholic bishops is that they made it public which is against the teachings of christ. If you were not biased against them you should first have commended the act and encouraged it before pointing out that they went about it the wrong way.

You could have told that to Jesus who condemned wrong motives of the hypocritic pharisees.  My prayer and hope is that all those who think that by doing works of righteousness can get them into heaven or to get reward in heaven must think again and see whether their good works will make them good enough to get to heaven.  The good person Test is a good way of appraising whether you will be good for heaven or not.

http://www.wayofthemaster.com/goodperson.shtml
Re: Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by seyenko(m): 5:44pm On May 26, 2009
what point are you making olaadegbu
Re: Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by segyemaro(m): 5:56pm On May 26, 2009
Yes olaadegbu answer that question, what are you driving at? You are just swinging like a simple pendulum.
Re: Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:14pm On May 26, 2009
seyenko:

what point are you making olaadegbu

segyemaro:

Yes olaadegbu answer that question, what are you driving at? You are just swinging like a simple pendulum.

Two points really,

[list]
[li]The point Jesus made when He said that you should not let your left hand know what the right is doing if you want your reward in heaven unless you are only seeking for the applause of men and,[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]You can only be saved by faith in Christ Jesus alone and not by your works of righteousness, God says they are like filthy menstrual pads before Him.[/li]
[/list]

Salvation = faith alone in the finished work of Christ

Salvation is not faith + works

Works are products of what God does through you all to the glory of God and not to the praises of men.  If your motive is to receive the applause of men then you have received your reward.
Re: Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by Lady2(f): 8:29pm On May 30, 2009
Salvation is not faith + works

and yet the Bible said faith without works is dead. So basically you believe some parts of the Bible and not the other. Is this your excuse for sitting on your arse and doing nothing but bring others down?
Re: Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by Oxone(m): 5:49am On May 31, 2009
@op
good one, its about time we starts seeing action & not just word
Re: Catholic Bishops Dedicate Offering To Victims by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:16am On Jun 01, 2009
rotimy:

The highlighted parts there surely got me laughing and thanks to your sense of humour. grin grin grin

Even though it is true that Jesus fed the multitude miraculously you will notice Jesus' response to those who were searching for him for more "charity", Jesus was more concerned about their spiritual status than there long throats.  If He was to feed them with physical food it was to feed those who are willing and hungry for spiritual food.  Have you heard the word "man must not feed on bread alone but on every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord"?

(1) (Reply)

Banom Vs Abuzola / Do Charms(evil) Affect People Even When Innocent? / Sallam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.