Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,960 members, 7,952,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:07 AM

Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? (2537 Views)

No End In Sight For Insurgency — Borno Residents / Amaechi, Dakuku Say Victory In Sight For APC / End Of Boko Haram In Sight, Says Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 10:42am On May 26, 2009
[b][b]Accusation and counter claim by all stakeholders involved in this preventable crisis has proven that the region's military onslaught is not just premature but a cosmetic measure to heal a wound that has defile all known orthodox medicine.

All the ethnic groupings in that part of the country believe they are not having fair share of the national cake baked in their domain. To add insult to their injury, the FG is making [i]the nest inhabitable for the sea foul (Niger Deltans) that laid the eggs consumed by all[/i]. Right or wrong, it is evidently clear in the level of infrastructural development of that region.

Series of summits were organised by local and international institutions, govts, NGOs on how to ameliorate the situation rather from it be alleviated, it is being aggravated on daily basis, all these effort till date has not yielded desired result

Presently, the federal troops {JTF} acting in consonance with the Nigeria Govt genocide mission has denied both local and international medias access into the affected areas. This singular act buttress the fact that heavy artillery were deployed in those defenseless communities. The military denied carrying out air, sea and land bombardment which the NYSC corps member confirmed its usage.

Is wiping out the entire community the way forward to the Niger Delta situation? Why cant we use the ALASKA MODEL to address this case rather than the military action? [i]
Sri Lanka just 'ended' a 72 old war
[/i], can we afford such? If govt address the critical issues will criminality continue in those zones? Now that our oil export has been affected badly, is there solution in sight so that Nigeria could achieve her much taunted vision 2020? [/b][/b]
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by BMusa1(m): 11:15am On May 26, 2009
The situation in the Niger Delta region really calls for caution. The fact is the JTF is after the militants, but the consequence is that innocent Nigerians are displaced in their fatherland. Both young and old fleeing for safety. For how long shall we continue like this. The military will not lay down its arms, cos that will signify conceding to defeat owing to the number of their men taken out by the militants. One question comes to mind, where are the militants getting their supply of ammunition's from? Enough to sustain them for how many days going? our boarders are really porous. How many of such amour are in different regions of the country?

Its one thing to blow up an oil installation. Crude oil is being siphoned. Do we ask ourselves how such resources are exported out of the country, where they are taken to and what is been done with it. If these can be answered, then it will go a long way to show that it is not only the militants in the creeks that are responsible for these actions but a cartel that needs to be exposed.

The resultant effect is not only on the government but the entire country. When crude stops flowing, so many things will go aground. The little developments on-going will rather cease.

So much needs to be done to address the situation on ground. The militants should be advised to embrace the amnesty granted by the government, there should be a cease fire and government should also ensure a holistic approach to developing the Niger Delta region. Their lands are ruined. Their waters contaminated. Whether we like it or not, we are in one country. The pain of one should be the pain of the other and that is the only way we can progress as a nation. It is not the duty of the Oil companies to develop these areas. What then will be the duty of the government. The company will pay their taxes and royalties, and in-turn develop the areas!!! I find it hard im trying to find answers as to what the government will then be doing with what they collect.

Please whoever is in the position to end this exchange of fire, do something before it degenerates into something else.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by blacksta(m): 11:26am On May 26, 2009
looking at the historical records on how the past and present governement have handled conflict management or resoution . I must say i will not be holding my breath on this issue it is clearly confirms this ND matter is going to be arround for while until we have a credible government.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by bgees(m): 11:33am On May 26, 2009
i think both sides have to compromise. but that seems impossible. but if the military can gear up and crush these MEND people.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 11:35am On May 26, 2009
B.Musa:

Please whoever is in the position to end this exchange of fire, do something before it degenerates into something else.
[b]Who are those that will first declare cease fire if not the govt, govt has to do this so that boys will have confidence in such pact. After the cease fire is dialogue. Mind u, the militants cant come openly to discuss so as to avoid the situation or risk of being arrested. But they will choose people of repute within and out side the shore of Nigeria that believe in their course to drive home their demands. With this we are making some positive steps.[/b]
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by astuto: 11:44am On May 26, 2009
The solution will be in sight as soon as an independent body is set up to control d activities of the NDDC. This body may be sourced from within the country or without. Yes.

In addition, the militants shd be granted amnesty shd they turn around. This is in place already by Mr. President. Good.
The militants themselves should state what they want exactly: is it infrastructure and jobs, or is it raw cash to buy jeeps to be speeding on the few scanty roads and bridges?

When these problems are faced head-on, their end will be quite near indeed.

I am not in support of genocide, but we in Nigeria are so backward in economic development that the last thing we need is criminals, disguised as freedom fighters, to compound the problem of inherently evil and corrupt poiticians. JTF shd flush such out.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by Bawss1(m): 11:47am On May 26, 2009
I'm all for shooting and explosions, its about time!

Niger Delta: Is Their solution in sight?, More like their destruction
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 11:48am On May 26, 2009
the move of the govt to halt oil export is a direct activities or effect of the crisis. govt is only hiding behind local refining the oil before export. we all know the act of war; u must not confess that the action of your enemy has hit you hard. these boys are not Nigerian enemies but the system has made them or painted the one.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by AjaraEwuro: 11:52am On May 26, 2009
these same people stood by when MEND or whatever they are causes trouble and kidnap people at will, so, now there is a retaliation, these same people now cry foul, very sad.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by JJYOU: 12:06pm On May 26, 2009
bgees:

i think both sides have to compromise. but that seems impossible. but if the military can gear up and crush these MEND people.
your so called military just recruited for nigeria our own home grown terrorists.  nigeria had easy victory over  biafra so they didnt learn.  if they knew they could defend oil like this why didnt they call OBJ's bluff and defend bakasi?

it took a few terrorist/ insurgents in IRA to nearly run britain dry in the 80s/ and 90s.  i wonder how you thinhk the NPF is going to work when these boys take this fight to main land nigeria.
First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the communists
and I did not speak out - because I was not a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out - because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me -
and by then there was no one left to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by AjaraEwuro: 12:09pm On May 26, 2009
JJYOU:

your so called military just recruited for nigeria our own home grown terrorists.  nigeria had easy victory over  biafra so they didnt learn.  if they knew they could defend oil like this why didnt they call OBJ's bluff and defend bakasi?

it took a few terrorist/ insurgents in IRA to nearly run britain dry in the 80s/ and 90s.  i wonder how you thinhk the NPF is going to work when these boys take this fight to main land nigeria.

When they take the fight to mainland Nigeria, you think everyone will watch? The women of Ekiti alone is enough to make the heads of the so called militants calabashes for drinking palmwine, better tell them not to take any fight to any mainland Nigeria, beause they will become meat for other people's dogs, they are threat to the area they operate from, they are no threat to every other places, they should be warned, what the fu ck, main land Nigeria is not as foolish as the militants are.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by MrCrackles(m): 12:19pm On May 26, 2009
Whether the solution is in sight or out of it, i hope the issue ges resolved ASAP!

We need to move on
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by JJYOU: 12:22pm On May 26, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

When they take the fight to mainland Nigeria, you think everyone will watch? The women of Ekiti alone is enough to make the heads of the so called militants calabashes for drinking palmwine, better tell them not to take any fight to any mainland Nigeria, beause they will become meat for other people's dogs, they are threat to the area they operate from, they are no threat to every other places, they should be warned, what the fu ck, main land Nigeria is not as foolish as the militants are.
if you know the nature of militarised insurgents, you will know how this will likely end. if they are real 10yrs from now nigeria will still be on high alert. you will be shocked there are political figures in your senate. reps manipulating these force you like to believe are mere thugs.  as i said before read the good old pasor word in europe. it still takes a few good men keeping quiet for this evil to continue  thriving.

Then they came for me -

Pastor Martin Niemöller
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by asha80(m): 12:24pm On May 26, 2009
MrCrackles:

Whether the solution is in sight or out of it, i hope the issue ges resolved ASAP!

We need to move on

Yes! move on to nirvana  grin
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by AjaraEwuro: 12:29pm On May 26, 2009
JJYOU:

if you know the nature of militarised insurgents, you will know how this will likely end. if they are real 10yrs from now nigeria will still be on high alert. you will be shocked there are political figures in your senate. reps manipulating these force you like to believe are mere thugs.  as i said before read the good old pasor word in europe. it still takes a few good men keeping quiet for this evil to continue  thriving.

Then they came for me -

Pastor Martin Niemöller

Whatever - I have told you right here, warn them if you know them - dont let them take it to the mainland, they will be sorry.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by JJYOU: 12:36pm On May 26, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

Whatever - I have told you right here, warn them if you know them - dont let them take it to the mainland, they will be sorry.
you guys that a bunch of lunatics can rule without guns. we wait and see
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by smooooooth: 1:05pm On May 26, 2009
now we know independence in nigeria is a ruse. we are under siege. all oppressed ethnic groups need to come 2geder to figth the oppressive hausa nigeria govt.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by naso2(m): 1:24pm On May 26, 2009
In a fight , it is only sensible to know the goal of your enemy.

JTF says it wants to flush out the militants
While the militants say their goal is to cripple oil exploration (not necessarily by defeating JTF).

Since 2006 mend and other militants have subtly reduced our daily quota by about 1 million barrels daily and the Govt seem not to have an answer for this. Only yesterday another casualty was recorded to the tune of 100,000 barrels.

While no one doubts the prowess of the military to run down mend in open combat, I must quickly add that they have proven that they lack the intelligence to handle this kind of guerilla combat.

The government must understand that the soldiers may run down communities, but should note also hat the oil exploration that translate into govt revenue is carried out by professionals(engineers) that will not comfortably work in any war-raged community. In the end there is a drop in the daily qouta.

Negotiation with the militants would be difficult as it might send the wrong signals , but the soldiers should tactically retreat and map out a more intelligent strategy.

The new military strategy should incorporate a robust political arrangement. The problem in the ND is that the people do not like the miilitants, however they hate the government more. Government must prove to the people that it is commited to the development of the region. Then the militants will have two enemies to contend with , because the average man in the region will easily align with government.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by Ibime(m): 1:50pm On May 26, 2009
na_so:

The problem in the ND is that the people do not like the miilitants, however they hate the government more.

Gbam!!!

You hit the nail on the head. If the FG want a change in this impasse, they must change the balance of these relationships.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by mayrho(m): 2:01pm On May 26, 2009
I really think the fight should be first with the elites who steal all the monies meant for the development of amenities for the masses in that area when that is done then resolve whatever issues they have with FG which is really resolvable when the one they have in their community is resolved
And of course Adura nla is needed I weep cry 4 naija cos this fight dates back to God knows when
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by superior1: 2:10pm On May 26, 2009
if it takes nigerian govt military power with helicopters and ship to battle the militants, i am afraid in the next decade they would be unable to control thier excesses.i think this is the best time the FG can do something serious about criminals disguising as freedom fighters. if not, i fear for another civil war only this time the 'ojukwu's are now well armed and trained militants
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by naso2(m): 2:34pm On May 26, 2009
superior1:

if it takes nigerian govt military power with helicopters and ship to battle the militants, i am afraid in the next decade they would be unable to control thier excesses.i think this is the best time the FG can do something serious about criminals disguising as freedom fighters. if not, i fear for another civil war only this time the 'ojukwu's are now well armed and trained militants

Bros na 2 set of criminals dey fight. Criminals in the creeks(militants) VS criminals in government (FG).

The FG has to destroy the premise of the militants' argument which is the undervdevelopment of the region before any other measure can work.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by otukpo(f): 4:08pm On May 26, 2009
superior1:

Pls nobody should mention Ojukwu's name here. He has fought his own fight when he did. The pple agitating now are on their own.
Too bad, the ND pple woke up too late.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 4:09pm On May 26, 2009
na_so:

Bros na 2 set of criminals dey fight. Criminals in the creeks(militants) VS criminals in government (FG).

Fine, we ve rallying point here. The types of criminals have been identified. The 1st which are the ones in govt should surrender or declare cease fire and go back to what i earlier suggested which was round table discussion which will involve those men that believe in the future of a true naija without greed

superior1:

i think this is the best time the FG can do something serious about criminals disguising as freedom fighters. if not, i fear for another civil war only this time the 'ojukwu's are now well armed and trained militants

Yes, i quite agree that it is now that we should address this issue but where am not comfortable is the mode of operation of the "do something" It is not until u use military action before we can get to Eldorado
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 4:13pm On May 26, 2009
otukpo:

The pple agitating now are on their own. Too bad, the ND pple woke up too late.

my friend, it is never too late to start a nobel cause or the cause that will benefit generation yet unborn. it better to fight now so that the future of naija will not fight
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by Horus(m): 4:16pm On May 26, 2009
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7xzRApvw1k[/flash]

Trauma in Niger Delta (Part One)

[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he91IuqQi1k[/flash]

Trauma in Niger Delta (Part Two)
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 4:25pm On May 26, 2009
Ibime:

You hit the nail on the head. If the FG want a change in this impasse, they must change the balance of these relationships.

no nail has been hit appropriate because the people do not hate the militant parse. they (pple) only detest the new twist to the agitation which is kidnapping. KIDNAPPING OR CRIMINALITY IS A PHASE IN ANY REVOLUTIONARY STRUGGLE. the is so because there is no "organised form of fund to fuel their course" this do not imply am in support of criminality but the plain truth is that u cant ve such struggle that will be devoid of some actions like that. besides, kidnapping is not peculiar to the militants alone. so, let stop waving the criminal card and face reality
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by ThinkRait: 4:36pm On May 26, 2009
Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight?

I have a little problem with this quetion. It is a Nigerian problem, not a ND problem. What is going on is affecting Nigeria as a nation, the economy is gradually collapsing due to the falling oil production. The moment we start seeing this as a collective problem, then, and only then can we begin to find the solution.

Niger Delta: Is the solution in sight?
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 4:57pm On May 26, 2009
ThinkRait:

I have a little problem with this quetion. It is a Nigerian problem, not a ND problem. What is going on is affecting Nigeria as a nation, the economy is gradually collapsing due to the falling oil production. The moment we start seeing this as a collective problem, then, and only then can we begin to find the solution.

so many of us see it as the region affairs because its impact is not been felt as at at present.

bet it, at the long run everyone watching the "cinema" will realise that would ve cautioned the BLOOD TASTY JTH than saying "carry on, u are the best army in the world, militants are common criminals"
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by trhymes(m): 9:27pm On May 26, 2009
The ball is for the Federal Government to Play, the solution will
come from them, militants are just criminals, we need to start
seeing them as such.  cool
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by SapeleGuy: 9:38pm On May 26, 2009
Yes, the end is in sight.

The ultimate solution is resource control. The interim solution is massive capital investment and job creation i.e. build a city on the scale of Abuja in the Niger Delta.

Diversify the economy, why can't we mine other resources like Limestone, tin ore, gold, granite in the North or other parts of the country? This neglect of other resources is criminal.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by yeswecan(m): 9:46pm On May 26, 2009
Democracy is the government that rules for the people, by the people and because of the people. Not for the Northerners by the Northerners and because of the Northerners.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why I Went To Okija Shrine With Bible, By Ngige / Ebonyi Communal Clash Claims More Lives / Fashola (ACN) -dosunmu (PDP) Debates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.