Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,794 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know (26305 Views)

Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. / New Solar Device Removes Carbon Dioxide From The Atmosphere / Some Scientists You Probably Don't Know But Probably Should. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 4:44am On Nov 29, 2015
[quote author=Teempakguy post=40505414]That's not the point.

the fact that this information is new to Nigerians is saddening. it shows we don't know much at all.

so you're trying to tell me that if your average Nigerian didn't read this, if rain is falling, he would go under a tree? [/quote

I get your point but you should as well know that no one knows it all...especially when we have different fields of study..... And concerning staying under a tree when it rains was just an example stated by the informant... An average Nigerian will never try such..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by mrphysics(m): 5:48am On Nov 29, 2015
[quote author=airmirthd1 post=40505851][/quote]
people do that. mostly young children, get to the village and see that trees is a shelter during rainfall
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by mrphysics(m): 5:53am On Nov 29, 2015
Teempakguy:
LOL.

the first page and Nigerians are saying things like knowledge is power and your post is very educating.

Middle school students abroad know this. this entire write up would bore my eight year old self to death because i already learned them earlier and yet here you guys are. probably finding this out for the first time in your life. and not all the entries are even correct/well explained. yet you swallow it hook line and sinker.

well, I've gotta stop before i get termed a hater, i guess. sad sad
which of them sir is not correct/well explained?, how can you make sure a destructive criticism? point the wrong statement and then correct it with facts. the post is not written by personal instinct, its proven facts, but if you have any contradictory statement, put it down and publish it
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by mrphysics(m): 5:58am On Nov 29, 2015
alatbaba1:

Most commercial jetliners cruise somewhere between 30,000 and 45,000 feet above mean sea level. At higher speeds and altitudes, there isn't enough oxygen in the air to continuously burn the jet fuel required to stay up there. Engines designed to work very well that high,

A typical commercial jet (most standard flights) cruises at around 28-35,000ft (up to 6.6 miles of altitude). The main exception is Concorde which was designed to fly at a higher altitude (and hence lower wind resistance) at around 45,000ft. Although many jets could fly at higher altitudes, they are usually certified to an altitude giving a wide safety margin. For example the new generation Boeing 737 is certified to 41,000ft (7.8 miles).

Many military jet aircraft are able to fly considerably higher. Often, the plane itself is not pressurised and instead the pilot wears a pressure suit that provides him with a pressurised environment. Originally, very high altitude military planes were used for surveillance the current versions of the famous U2 spy plane, originally designed in the 1950s can cruise at up to 90,000ft (17 miles). The Stealth Bomber cruises at up to 50,000ft (8.3 miles) and many other combat planes can now also attain significant altitudes.

Nice write up sir.
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Nobody: 12:10pm On Nov 29, 2015
mrphysics:

people do that. mostly young children, get to the village and see that trees is a shelter during rainfall

Well...... That's the village.... It's not common in cities...

And l bet it that village life is quite interesting...
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by EagleScribes: 3:55am On Dec 11, 2015
mrphysics:
Am a physicist(Geophysics/Meteorologist), I put up this writing to educate my fellow nairalanders, I hope u enjoy it.
feel free to ask your questions after reading, and ignore any typographical error
Let's get started

10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE ATMOSPHERE

1: WHAT CAUSES WIND AND WIND FLOW: The cause of wind is the differences in pressure and temperature of a given area. Winds always flow from regions of cooler temperature (high pressure) to regions of warmer temperature (low pressure). The greater the differences in temperatures or pressure, the greater the wind speed

2: WHY DOES AIR PRESSURE DECREASE WITH HEIGHT
The pressure at any level in the atmosphere may be interpreted as the total weight of the air per unit area at any elevation. At higher elevations, there are fewer air molecules above a given surface than similar surface at lower levels. Example, there are few air molecules at 50km than are found at 12km, which is why the pressure is less at 50km

3: WHY ARE GASES SUSCH AS CARBON DIOXIDE, NITROUS OXIDE, METHAN AND CFC CALLED GREEN HOUSE GASES
They are called greenhouse gases because they are able to absorb and emit infra-red radiation.

4: WHY IS IT DANGEROUS TO SEEK SHELTER UNDER A TREE DURING THUNDERSTORM
It is very dangerous to seek shelter under a tree during thunderstorm because when lightning strikes, it delivers an enormous force of electrical energy that can break off branches or even split trunk of the tree.

5: THE HIGHER YOU GO, THE COOLER IT BECOMES? TRUE OR FALSE?
It is true in the layer of the atmosphere where we live. The earth’s atmosphere is divided into five layers: TROPOSHERE, STRATOSPHERE, MESOSPHERE, THERMOSPHERE and EXOSPHERE. The statement is true only in TROPOSHERE (0-15KM above sea level) and in MESOSPHERE. A process called LAPSE RATE (the decrease in temperature with height). Outside these two layers, inversion occurs (the higher you go, the hotter it becomes)

6: DOES PLANEs FLY BEYONG THE TROPOSHERE
Negative, our planes does not fly beyond this layer of the atmosphere, perhaps because it cannot withstand the pressure of the nearest layer of the atmosphere. Our planes rarely reach 14KM.

7: WHICH LAYER OF THE ATMOSPHERE DOES RAIN OCCUR?
I need to state clearly that all our rain falls happen within our layer of the atmosphere we live in (TROPOSPHERE), outside this layer of the atmosphere, they EXIST no rain or rainfall.

8: WHAT IS NOWCASTING?
The forecasting of weather within the next six hours is often referred to as nowcasting. In this time range, it is possible to forecast smaller features such as individual showers and thunderstorm with reasonable accuracy, as well as other features too small to be resolved by a computer model.

9: WHAT IS THE IONOSPHERE?
The ionosphere is the layer of earths atmosphere that is ionized by solar radiation. The ionosphere contains plasmas and is made up of three layers, the lowest is called D-LAYER(75-95KM), E-LAYER(95-100KM) and the F-LAYER(150km upwards).

10: HOW DOES THE IONOSPHERE INFLUENCE AM RADIO TRANSMISSION DURING THE DAY AND AT NIGHT
Distant AM radio stations are better received at night because the ionosphere that reflects AM stations is protected from ionizing radiation and ionized particles from the sun. when the sun comes up, it heats up the air, helping to make a part of the air that can reflect radio waves that comes from an AM radion station.

written by NJOKU CHUKWUDI (mrphysics). graduate of Physics and Astronomy
University of Nigeria Nsukka.

Nice one mrphysics

I'm meteorologist and weather/climate researcher
I really appreciate your efforts
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by mrphysics(m): 5:10pm On Sep 26, 2019
Hi Seun,

I noticed you sent an mail to me. Kindly resend the mail. I lost access to the previous email address but it's been resolved.

Regards
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by ephraim18(m): 12:21pm On Jun 02, 2022
GOOD REMINDER... I LUV UR WRITE UPS BRO... WE SHARE THE SAME SURNAME... KEEEP MORE COMING
Re: 10 Things About The Atmosphere That You Don't Know by Debangis20(m): 10:56pm On Mar 19, 2023
Splendid!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Finds Giant Burmese Python In His Shed In Florida / The Dangers Of Staring At The Sun As Mercury Transit Tomorrow May 9. / Solar Inverter Installation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.