Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,036 members, 7,825,261 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

What Can God Not Do? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Can God Not Do? (2122 Views)

Can God Create A Mountain That God Can't Move? / We worship one TRUE GOD not a TRINITY - A Provocative discussion / Can God Reveal Your Spouse To You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can God Not Do? by Revdaniel(m): 11:33am On Oct 18, 2006
Good day friends, i want to ask a simple but controversal question.
Please note i just want to note your view about the question since you can impose your thought on any other person.
The question is "is there a thing that God can not do? or what can God not do?

Hoping to read your view soon
Re: What Can God Not Do? by Aggressa(m): 11:49am On Oct 18, 2006
@RevDaniel,
There is ONE thing God cannot do: HE CANNOT SIN!
Re: What Can God Not Do? by Chay(f): 5:50pm On Oct 18, 2006
Havila:

@RevDaniel,
There is ONE thing God cannot do: HE CANNOT SIN!

[color=#770077]Beautiful, i agree with you 100% on that.
And to answer the opposite of your question, there's is NOTHING God cannot do. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. All He asks is for us to be obedient and believe that He is.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by Grouppoint(m): 8:55pm On Oct 19, 2006
The bible says that God can do everything.

You have now said that God cannot sin. So I ask you: Is Sin not a thing?

Furthermore, (John 1:3)Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

Doesnt this suggest that God made sin?

I say to you that God can do all things. Perhaps He may choose not to sin or lie, but if he can do all things, as the bible tells us, then You will be removing from His Omnipotence, if you say he couldnt lie or sin.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by TayoD(m): 9:01pm On Oct 19, 2006
@Grouppoint,

What do you mean God created sin? You can say that He created the law of sin and death, but He is not and cannot sin and did not create it. Sin is missing a mark. Show me what mark you require of God and I'll show you how He not only meets it, but exceeds the mark.

Titus 1:2 tells you what God cannot do. Titus 1:2 - In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;
Re: What Can God Not Do? by Aggressa(m): 9:28pm On Oct 19, 2006
@Grouppoint,
I perceive you are a man of logic, I respect that, a brilliant mind no doubt. However, if you understand the nature of God, his awesomeness, Glory, wisdom and majesty, you will realize human logic is useless with God. For it is impossible to please or even understand God without faith.
The simplest question in the Bible is not who is the mother of christ but: who tempted Adam and Eve to sin in the garden of Eden? That answers you question, God did not create sin and he cannot sin
Re: What Can God Not Do? by Grouppoint(m): 8:32am On Oct 20, 2006
@Havila
Hence you are suggesting that devil created sin.
I suggest to you that the devil has no creative powers.

@Tayo,
some versions of the bible say in titus 1:3 , 'God, who does not lie' as opposed to 'God, who cannot lie'
This tells me that God who is able to do all things, shall be less than omnipotent, if there is even any one thing, which He cannot do.

Furthermore a scripture tells us thus;
2 Chronicles 18:22 "So now the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you."

My view is this, God can do all things. He sets laws in the universe, which He wont break (not that He cant break these laws).
Re: What Can God Not Do? by olabowale(m): 1:13pm On Oct 20, 2006
@RevDaniel: There are three things that are not beffitting to God. So He will not do any of them; Having a family, vis a vis child/children come to mind along with the mother. This act does not fit the Majesty f God. they are meant for the being that need procreation, mankind comes to mind.

God does not need to have the functional qualities that we human beings have; eg eating, drinking, tiredness or resting, etc. God is unlike you and me in every way. All the above are for the being that He created. The costodianship of His creation is within His capacity. He guides it, always and constantly in full quality in His attributes. When He guides, He is the Best Guide. His Mercy extend beyond our capability. He gives aboundantly, without measure.

Nothing has the capacity to grasp Him. Hence, He does not have to come to the earth to walk among mankind to experience the condition of His creation so that he can thereby be suffered so that they will be forgiven through this act! Inshort, it is He, the God Almighty alone who existed, before He bagan to creat, even then His majesty was full. He was not lonely therefore longing for companionship. It was in His Mercy that He creats, wishing to reward true believers and meter out justice to unbelievers.

God does have power to control all things. It is Him alone that Mercifully forgives and only He can punish.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by Aggressa(m): 2:07pm On Oct 20, 2006
@Grouppoint,
Bible said God gave man the 'power' to choose between life and death, good and bad, right and wrong etc. As TayoD rightly said, sin is a missed mark, product of a conscious decision based upon a pre-existing nature or capacity to take such decision. The nature of Sin entered into humanity with the missed mark of Adam and Eve under inspiration of the 'evil one' hence the capacity to make 'sinful' decisions. The Devil actively encourages people to 'take' the wrong decisions' while the spirit of God actively encourages people to take the right decisions. At times due to the stubborness of heart, the spirit of God can leave men to the judgement of the evil one, usually aimed at achieving spiritual growth and not to destroy.
Nowhere in the totality of God does he have the 'nature' of Sin; thus the question of whether he can or cannot sin (i.e the capability or capacity to sin but choose not to!) does not arise because the very nature of sin is NOT there in His attributes.
So, Grouppoint, out of curiosity why dont you give us your own response to the question posed in the thread, as you can see understanding varies on the nature of God, ranging from the ludicrous and sublime 'Jesus-phobia' based, up to scripture-based depending on understanding.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by Revdaniel(m): 5:28pm On Oct 24, 2006
Good day friends, i know that the question is a simple one but controversal depending on how we look at it. Anyway, i will like everyone to share his mind on it without attacking the view of the other. I will be God's grace explain later.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by chistiana(f): 2:17pm On Oct 25, 2006
He can never lie,

Our God is faithfull God can never lie if he says he gonna do this is gonna do it, and God will never kill, we human kill each other.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:10pm On Dec 13, 2007
Revdaniel:

Good day friends, i want to ask a simple but controversal question.
Please note i just want to note your view about the question since you can impose your thought on any other person.
The question is "is there a thing that God can not do? or what can God not do?

Hoping to read your view soon

1.  God cannot lie.  The moment God calls black white it will ceases from being black and it will instantaneously become white.  If He has said it then it shall become it. The Power of prerogative. Ex-Nihilo (Let it become).

2.  God cannot break His covenant.  He is the covenant keeping never failing Jehovah.  He is always faithful to keep His promises.

3.  God cannot change past events.  What has happened in the past remains and cannot be undone.

There are about 7 other things that God cannot do but I will leave that to the scriptural giants to decipher. wink
Re: What Can God Not Do? by MrTurkey(m): 10:22pm On Dec 14, 2007
I sincerely do not think that there is anything that Jehovah God almighty cannot do as long as he has purposed to do it
Re: What Can God Not Do? by Nobody: 12:58am On Dec 15, 2007
sure, he cant behold iniquity, bt why argue abt the ALMIGHTY
Re: What Can God Not Do? by i4serious: 10:22pm On Dec 16, 2007
god cannot lie.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by i4serious: 10:23pm On Dec 16, 2007
god cannot lie
Re: What Can God Not Do? by i4serious: 10:24pm On Dec 16, 2007
he can't be unfaithful
Re: What Can God Not Do? by i4serious: 10:24pm On Dec 16, 2007
he can't play pranks.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by Millena(m): 10:55pm On Dec 16, 2007
1. God cannot break His convenant.
2. God cannot lie.
3. God cannot sin.
4. God cannot send His word without the word achieving that which it was sent forth for.
5. God cannot loose a battle.
e.t.c, too numerous to be written
Re: What Can God Not Do? by janami(f): 7:59am On Dec 17, 2007
suffer His children smiley
Re: What Can God Not Do? by ekorick(m): 4:59pm On Dec 19, 2007
Once you have gotten to hell he cannot send you back to heaven. so repent.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by Kobojunkie: 5:38pm On Dec 19, 2007

Grouppoint (m)
London UK

Re: What Can God Not Do?
« #3 on: October 19, 2006, 08:55 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The bible says that God can do everything.

You have now said that God cannot sin. So I ask you: Is Sin not a thing?

Furthermore, (John 1:3)Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

Doesnt this suggest that God made sin?

I say to you that God can do all things. Perhaps He may choose not to sin or lie, but if he can do all things, as the bible tells us, then You will be removing from His Omnipotence, if you say he couldnt lie or sin.

You have very good questions but the logic is somewhat off. In the first, Sin is not a thing. God created man does not mean God can do man. God can come in the form of a man, God can use man but God but God is not man. God created evil, God can use it to do his work.
To humans, sin is big but to God sin is as a man would see a needle. A man can make a needle which is a thing but that is what it is to him, a needle which he can use for what he needs to use it for.

I think the issue is with how we picture God. Sin to man is almost the same level as man is. His mind thinks of it, he fears it in some cases and he loathes it in others. Notice how Sin holds a huge place in the heart of man and so becomes just as big as man is and so to man is something that may never be escapable but God does not necessarily view sin the same way man does. I urge you to read the book of Job. You might find some of the conversations in there interesting and might get a better picture of how we ought to see God.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by babs787(m): 6:29pm On Dec 19, 2007
@Milenna

1. God cannot break His convenant.
2. God cannot lie.
3. God cannot sin.
4. God cannot send His word without the word achieving that which it was sent forth for.
5. God cannot loose a battle.
e.t.c, too numerous to be written

Does God change his mind?

Yes. The word of the Lord came to Samuel: I repent that I have made Saul King, (I Samuel 15:10 to 11)

No. God will not lie or repent; for he is not a man, that he should repent (I Samuel 15:29)
Yes. And the Lord repented that he had made Saul King over Israel (I Samuel 15:35).

In addition, the Bible shows that God repented on several other occasions:

i. The Lord was sorry that he made man (Genesis 6:6)

I am sorry that I have made them (Genesis 6:7)

ii. And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do to his people (Exodus 32:14).

Please all quotes are from your bible. I didnt mean anything bad.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by rezzy: 11:22pm On Dec 19, 2007
God cant make a mistake
Re: What Can God Not Do? by babs787(m): 4:29pm On Dec 20, 2007
@rezzy

God can't make a mistake

I didnt say God does but you have to explain the below verses so as to get the picture clear

Does God change his mind?

Yes. The word of the Lord came to Samuel: I repent that I have made Saul King, (I Samuel 15:10 to 11)

No. God will not lie or repent; for he is not a man, that he should repent (I Samuel 15:29)
Yes. And the Lord repented that he had made Saul King over Israel (I Samuel 15:35).

In addition, the Bible shows that God repented on several other occasions:

i. The Lord was sorry that he made man (Genesis 6:6)

I am sorry that I have made them (Genesis 6:7)

ii. And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do to his people (Exodus 32:14).

Please all quotes are from your bible. I didnt mean anything bad

Thanks
Re: What Can God Not Do? by olasesi(m): 2:40pm On Jan 20, 2012
God can do everything
Including everything SATANIC and EVIL.
But he just WON'T do them.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jan 20, 2012
God cannot PRAISE/THANK Himself

You see,God cant say "I THANK MYSELF OR I PRAISE MYSELF FOR ALL THESE GOOD THINGS I VE CREATED"

We are to praise, thank, worship and adore Him!!!!

, Bishop Oyedepo.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by DeepSight(m): 7:34pm On Jan 20, 2012
God cannot cease to exist even if it wanted to.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by LogicMind: 8:01pm On Jan 20, 2012
god cannot wa.nk me off
Re: What Can God Not Do? by LogicMind: 8:02pm On Jan 20, 2012
god cannot raise fuel subsidy
Re: What Can God Not Do? by tpia5: 8:04pm On Jan 20, 2012
God cant make a mistake.
Re: What Can God Not Do? by LogicMind: 8:25pm On Jan 20, 2012
the real question is what can god do?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why? Why? Why? Why? / Questions Strictly For Athiests In The House / Muslim Woman Behead 4year Old Child And Parades Head +photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.