Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,981 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? (27000 Views)

Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? / Should I Stop Work And Do A Masters Programme? / Why I Dropped My Degree To Become A Taxi Driver - Abuja-based Female Taxi Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by adren(m): 12:06pm On Nov 28, 2015
frenchboy:
Even 2:1 self still dey look for work,wat do u want ond and hnd to do,what if u did nt go to school,wont u live

bros... we all have different priorities, ambitions, dreams, goals..

cant afford to stay on the low all my life
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by seyicrown2008: 12:15pm On Nov 28, 2015
costandi:
Nice to know you graduated from met/mat as we call it. I just did too.

Going to Italy to hustle? What do you mean by 'hustle'? To get involved with illegal activities?
A wise man once said, 'A lizard in Nigeria won't turn to an alligator in America'. Most people you
see with admirable lifestyles in Europe are into fraudulent activities, that's why you see them being
deported daily. Don't you think you still need capital to start business abroad? If you don't think you'd
be gainfully employed in Nigeria, do you think otherwise about Italy?

I just feel you you are too scared of the future and you have the 'get rich quick' syndrome. Get a
masters degree if you can. And, don't depend on being gainfully employed. Because that's not why
you went to school. Don't be afraid of starting small. Just be focused, always get busy and be keen
on self-development. You are young! Take advantage of it!

As the holy scriptures declare, 'the stone that the builder refused will one day become the chief corner stone'

To be candid bro, being a graduate in ur field is a step to success never get haste in Life becos u r still very young. I will advise u to follow this bros Advice. Sky is not the limit soon u will get there. My own Story is similar too, i wasted money on travelling Abroad which doesnt work out while doing my masters in Engineering, i started with small salary and things r working out gradually, As a graduate in Electronics And Computer Engineering After my service in Kano i never want to come back to Lagos being idle i started with teaching job of 10k per month. bro nothing is too small for u to start with.

Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by ABEngine(m): 12:24pm On Nov 28, 2015
adren:

you sound deep-rooted in the 'business'..
if i may, i need more guidance from you as regards scholarships, work and study abroad...

1. Check the modified post.
2. Scholarships are online so you can read up the requirements yourself
3. Italy is not the place for you with all you mentioned except you have chosen to study. Your dear uncle is not telling you the truth.
4. I would rather start a hair cut saloon in naija, give it class with that amount I should have used for a two way ticket
5. Remember what works for Tom may not work harry and may work even better for John. You decide

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by FlowSickness(m): 12:32pm On Nov 28, 2015
Give Me The Italian Ticket Lemme Go For U So U Can Go And Get Ur Degree... Problem solved
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by amtaken(f): 12:44pm On Nov 28, 2015
Have you read all the posts on nairaland today?
ahizih:
Read his last sentence bend down n read ds gal
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by abdoolorunwa(m): 12:46pm On Nov 28, 2015
MY DEAR, U R UR OWN PERSON. U KNOW WHAT U WANT AND WAT IS BEST FOR U.
I'LL MAKE U A REFERENCE. A FRIEND OF MINE WAS IN HIS 400 LEVEL WEN THE CHANCE CAME FOR HIM TO JOIN THE NIGERIAN NAVY. HE LEFT SCHOOL WITHOUT SECOND THOUGHTS.
UR GOING TO ITALY DOESN'T MEAN U WOULDN'T GET UR MASTERS. THE BIG QUESTION IS ''WHAT ARE U STUDYING FOR?''- TO GET A JOB. GETTING A MASTERS DEGREE ISN'T TOO MUCH OF A BIG DEAL AND U WILL CONSIDER DOING IT ABROAD (WHICH ALL OF US CRAVE FOR) SO TAKE UR CHANCE AND IF U ARE NOT FROM BENIN GOING FOR INTERNATIONAL AWAY MATCH, THEN UR DECISIONS TO GO TO ITALY IS BEST. MY THOUGHTS SHA.
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by amtaken(f): 12:47pm On Nov 28, 2015
I like the comment you made for your mum and sisters but you wrongly posted it to me.

My regards to mama Italy, your dear Italian hustling mum. Your sisters really learnt the act of hustling from her. They will soon teach that Italian hustler baby mama of yours. Hustling family, una dey try.
BuddhaPalm:

As someone who has hustled in Italy, I think he should really listen to you grin.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by vodkat: 12:50pm On Nov 28, 2015
adren:
I am currently stucked in the middle with my head hurting so bad from thinking progressively..

I had a 2.2 in metallurgical and materials engineering and with this system of employment in nigeria- massive graduates, limited jobs, I must confess that i am forced to look elsewhere for my lifetime opportunities..

i believe in myself...YES i do!!! however, quite obviously, my chances of been gainfully employed are low, that is even if they meagerly exist..

so... i have made up my mind... perhaps, because i am still very young or because i am from a lowly background where my father nor my relative can give me a huge amount of money to start a lucrative business..therefore, i want to go all out by myself..

now.. i have two resolutions..

should i go for an eighteen months full time master program to supplement my 2.2 or take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go hustle for myself abroad..??

which is better??

matured advice needed with experiences...
how did you made it to the top on your own especially when you started from the rock bottom??

Mods please help a brother get to canaanland by doing the needful

Go for ur 18 month program as ur still young the older you are the harder it will be to acquire. Education is an investment.

With a met and mat degree you can work any where, ( aerospace,en gr, oil and gas, construction, finance, IT etc) u have been trained in basic engineering now all u need to do is apply yourself.

Abroad is not what it seems to be sometimes, Europe is not friendly now to non Europeans especially africans only if ur a footballer.

Hustling in ITaly? i had a friend who did that in Italy the guy complains everyday italy is a damn hard place and racist too. Many Nigerians after 10years abroad have nothing to show for it.

Why because the system was not built for them. Everything is based on credit, you must have good credit which means you must owe and then they charge u interest.

That is capitalism abroad

So should that be the case you would have wasted your degree and also ur youth which is double wahala
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by Malakh: 12:51pm On Nov 28, 2015
adren:

bros... we all have different priorities, ambitions, dreams, goals..

cant afford to stay on the low all my life
the problem with so many people is they do not have Guide,Mentor or direction,they are lost in the world, regardless of what path you choose without any Shepherd or Guide you will be lost without any direction and for those of you boasting saying i'll do this and this for x amount of years,I gat news for you,the future is very bleak because 'darkness" has and will cover the whole world,question is do you have Light.You better find something to eat or start a small business and if you do have a Guide then He'll direct your path or else you are on a long thing
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by musicwriter(m): 1:03pm On Nov 28, 2015
adren:
I am currently stucked in the middle with my head hurting so bad from thinking progressively..

I had a 2.2 in metallurgical and materials engineering and with this system of employment in nigeria- massive graduates, limited jobs, I must confess that i am forced to look elsewhere for my lifetime opportunities..

i believe in myself...YES i do!!! however, quite obviously, my chances of been gainfully employed are low, that is even if they meagerly exist..

so... i have made up my mind... perhaps, because i am still very young or because i am from a lowly background where my father nor my relative can give me a huge amount of money to start a lucrative business..therefore, i want to go all out by myself..

should i go for an eighteen months full time master program to supplement my 2.2 or take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go hustle for myself abroad..??

which is better??

how did you made it to the top on your own especially when you started from the rock bottom??

When people say they want to travel abroad, my question is always; what is it you want to go do abroad that you can't do in Nigeria?.

Unemployment stats in Europe
http://www.statista.com/statistics/268830/unemployment-rate-in-eu-countries/

More detailed unemployment stats in Europe.
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Unemployment_statistics

However, if you don't mind the above statistics you can still make it abroad, but get ready to either:
1. Sell drug
2. Do 419
3. Prostitute

But, why going abroad to do it when you can do them in Nigeria?.

The above can give you money quickly (if you already had experience in Nigeria before going, plus you have good contacts there). Or you have to get your hands dirty cleaning toilets for white people and washing cars for up to 3 years, and if you know what you're doing you would start seeing light at the end on your tunnel by the 4th year.

Look, my brother, there's no Cananland waiting for you any place. If you work hard and you're LUCKY you can make it any place including in Somalia.

The only reason I'll encourage anybody to go abroad is if it's about going to study. Anything not about going to study, forget it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by macminista(m): 1:16pm On Nov 28, 2015
adren:

which is better??

guy if ever u decide to travel DON'T ever go to eroupe

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by Jaykizz(m): 1:18pm On Nov 28, 2015
adren:
y'all just bashing me like none of you won't dissapear at the first chance you get to leave naija..

naija is only 'sweet' for wealthy people..

my travel destination might not be italy finally.. it might be anywhere in UK or america or canada..

italy is my #1 choice because of their vast availability of direct opportunities, skilled labour and zero tolerance to rasicm.. they do not have religious crisis too... you are safer in italy or spain than you are in france, america or turkey or malaysia..

Unfortunately, somethings are different from the way we see them. You need to know if their are readily available jobs for you, and you sound as if you just want to try your luck. The fact is you have to go to Europe to see the way Africans struggle and the truth is that most of those telling you not to do a masters don't have one themselves. As a young man, self development is key.
Follow your heart and pray but you would be better off having an msc in 2years.
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by callmelanner(m): 1:21pm On Nov 28, 2015
Choose wisely.... The end justifies the means!
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by talitakumi: 1:39pm On Nov 28, 2015
Hey bro.....I currently live in italy. I must tell you, people are suffering here. Italy is not the best place for you.
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by natakin(f): 1:41pm On Nov 28, 2015
Chief...no masters degree can aid a 2.2...
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by erico2k2(m): 1:49pm On Nov 28, 2015
rakumiii:

I get you point and I am so proud of those 2 guys anywhere in the world doing what they do and would definitely not knock their hustle...... In the case of Italy, there is the first issue of language barrier so working in a building/construction company might not be possible to start with.... Things are very hard for foreigners in Europe these days.... The things we could get away with in 1998 or even 2008 is almost impossible to do in 2015.... typically, what I have seen is that a 23yrs old guy who firsts gets to Europe will be very open and willing to do any kind of work... but after a few months or a year, because he has made some friends and knows his way around, he would look down at that particular job as something degrading..... not to talk of being stuck there for 5years...

Also remember that just because a person doesnt
I agree with you %100, U cant try that in another part of Europe.If this was to happen in italy dem die well.
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by erico2k2(m): 1:50pm On Nov 28, 2015
macminista:
guy if ever u decide to travel DON'T ever go to eroupe
So where make him go nah?
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by porshuch: 2:16pm On Nov 28, 2015
Pls do your masters first
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by lakesidepapa(m): 2:16pm On Nov 28, 2015
erico2k2:

Ok I would have liked to use myself as case sturdy but that wont be fair so I will use the average.All hustling in the eyes of the law would be illegal ,I don't mean as in 419 or selling narcotics, it might involve working in the black market ie no papers or borrowed papers.Yes if you are 23 years then you can hustle for 5 years with self discipline.Thats for a man who knows where they are coming from and where they are going.
I make an example.Two brother hustled in 9ja and saved up and traveled to the UK, rented a big room for £510 a month for two of them this included al Bills.the both working for a building/construction firm and are doing the london cross rail project, this is going on for 7 years..They earn £9/hr work Mon-sat. thier take home is £1850 after tax, they save £2000 monthly between them and send back to 9ja.Aprox (N700k)
So if they do this for 40 months only they save N28M between them, this is 3 years 3 months.Now waht I just told you is what two of my smallies are doing here in London and they are 2 years into it, and are going back to Nigeria for good this time next year.Even me wey be baba Agba run come back here come work collect ££ as £££ get power now.This is same storey for most Nigerians in the UK wahtever job they are doing E make sense right now cos of exchange rate which is £1 to N350.Al these are honest monies no back hand bribe or 419.what I gave was an illustration for a hustler not a professional, for that the stakes are even higher.

Your siblings get luck bro, which one be ££? smiley
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by okoomoge2(m): 2:30pm On Nov 28, 2015
Ask yourself why did I study Met Engineering?
- to feed your stomach, own a car , build a house , if those are your answers you have wasted your time at the uni. You should have a stopped education immediately after high school.

- Travelling to Italy to hustle ? Italy where 90 pct hustlers did not finish primary school- why do you want to drag yourself into the mud ? Please note Italy is a very hostile country and poor ! Ask around or better still search over the Internet. You come to Italy - Milano Centrale, Padova FS, Mestre , Venezia St Lucia, Torino, Naples, You see black people begging to get money to buy bigelleti or better still to eat . You see black old man with grey hair selling lighter, facial towel. Note, there are very few Africans who have legitimate work and earn good salary. Some don't have money to go from Milano to Torino or Padova to Mestre not to talk of Lagos or Benin.

You go to London, stop at Victoria, connect Jubilee line or Metro underground or the overground and see things yourself. Go to South East Woolwich , Hakney, homerton,Stratford, Elephant and Castle, old and new Kent road, Peckham and see things yourself. Fine there are more successful Nigerians in London and UK generally compared to all European cities I have visited.

- Who says with 2-2 you can't be successful.
Sit down and define what success means to you? Don't make money your ultimate goal when stating out in life, focus on creating a brand and God willing favour will find you.

I will not say much but you are an engineer , discover your UTS. The future is bright for you if you can perserve and be focused.

The mistake you make now will hunt many generations of yours !

My 2 cents
Fellow Senior Engineer

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by macminista(m): 2:41pm On Nov 28, 2015
erico2k2:

So where make him go nah?
Yankee...I live there...lots of opportunities if u re to further your education...got lots of friends n family members for Europe..their story not something u would want to hear

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by lakesidepapa(m): 2:46pm On Nov 28, 2015
@Buddhapalm, ur moniker lol. That's reminds me of a chinese movie "Iron monkey"
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by tolfyn(f): 2:52pm On Nov 28, 2015
My advice if u r a female: pls don't travel to italy looking for greener pastures cos there is no pasture as greener as ur country. The money u wanted to use for ur master can be use to start some biz or learn a skill if u r not lucky to get a white collarjob. Since u r stl young, I believe if u r serious and passionate abt either the biz or skill acquisition u will make it combine wt ur 1st degree cert. Then u can decide later if u stl want to go for master or not. Travelling abroad is not the best option to me cos u r not sure of wots in stock for u there.
If u are a male. I will stl give the same advice as above. But above all pray abt it and let GOD
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by Rexnegro(m): 2:59pm On Nov 28, 2015
adren:

which is better??

you better dive, catch, hug, embrace, hold, kiss, cage the life changing trip to Italy and better ur life afterwards.....master my ass bro....do u no how many masters n phd holders came out when dangote called for employment? bro dive ur trip o...
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by ailehwise(m): 3:05pm On Nov 28, 2015
FYB:
I will definitely benefit from the advice given here, cus im facing similar decision
same here broad. in fact, white lady wish to marry me
coming to Nigeria soon. finished service last month. the stress I have pass through searching for job alone. I am becoming losing hope.
Don't know if to go with this lady.
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by erico2k2(m): 3:28pm On Nov 28, 2015
lakesidepapa:

Your siblings get luck bro, which one be ££? smiley
££ means pounds
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by erico2k2(m): 3:32pm On Nov 28, 2015
macminista:
Yankee...I live there...lots of opportunities if u re to further your education...got lots of friends n family members for Europe..their story not something u would want to hear
I feel you, the only country to hustle in Europe is the UK any other o ne na Bad market.US is great so is canada.I say Uk cos its full of 9ja people, its easy to go with the flow and 9ja people live i n close proximity, no B una wey dey USA to go see your guy nah 4 hours drive grin grin grin, here i n the Uk men dey live same street go same market.But if U go another country inside Europe U are on ur own oOh angry angry
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by erico2k2(m): 3:32pm On Nov 28, 2015
ailehwise:

same here broad. in fact, white lady wish to marry me
coming to Nigeria soon. finished service last month. the stress I have pass through searching for job alone. I am becoming losing hope.
Don't know if to go with this lady.
What country she coming from?
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by ohumonkama: 3:34pm On Nov 28, 2015
Hi...if you are really serious about building a successful career as a Materials and Metallurgical Engineer I think I might be able to advise you.

I am also a graduate of Met/Mat and I can tell you its one of the best Engineering courses anyone can think of studying. The demand for materials Engineers is so high and there are not enough professionals in that field so they are highly payed.

All you need do is focus on getting the right guidance to help you in building a scueessful career, be ready to pay your dues by starting small and in no distant time you will thank God for the course you studied.

I have been in the industry for about 9years now so I am sure talking from experience.

I was so frustrated those days when Jamb gave me the course but if I can go back in time I will send a gift to jamb for not giving me EE or computer Engr. That I applied for....lol

Thanks
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by macminista(m): 3:37pm On Nov 28, 2015
erico2k2:

I feel you, the only country to hustle in Europe is the UK any other o ne na Bad market.US is great so is canada.I say Uk cos its full of 9ja people, its easy to go with the flow and 9ja people live i n close proximity, no B una wey dey USA to go see your guy nah 4 hours drive grin grin grin, here i n the Uk men dey live same street go same market.But if U go another country inside Europe U are on ur own oOh angry angry
u don live for yankee?
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by Greycious(m): 3:38pm On Nov 28, 2015
observation!
Re: Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? by BuddhaPalm(m): 3:39pm On Nov 28, 2015
lakesidepapa:
@Buddhapalm, ur moniker lol. That's reminds me of a chinese movie "Iron monkey"

Iron Monkey own dey learn work smiley.

Kung Fu Hustle's is badass.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) / Highest Paid Paramilitary Personnel In Nigeria? / Which Business Can I Do Online That Will Increase ₦150k To ₦500k Within 6 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.