Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,296 members, 7,811,887 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

When Muslim Veil Becomes A Security Threat In The Northern Nigerian. Written By - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / When Muslim Veil Becomes A Security Threat In The Northern Nigerian. Written By (423 Views)

Someone Posted Lady's Photo With 'RIP' Written On It. She Reacts / See The Python And Wild Animal (Genet) Killed By A Security In His Beat Today. / What Was Written On A Gate In Ilupeju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

When Muslim Veil Becomes A Security Threat In The Northern Nigerian. Written By by SaintOlawale(m): 12:18pm On Nov 29, 2015
When I first wrote that the Northerners are their own worst enemy, while reflecting on how their rigid religious practices aid terrorism in the region, I got over a dozen messages in my inbox from hate-filled religious fanatics condemning my position on the issue.
Today, the responses of those who attacked Prof Wole Soyinka who suggested the use of Hijab or other uniforms depicting pupils' religion be stopped, left me utterly bewildered. Majority of those attacking the nobel laureate on the matter, are Northerners. I'm still wondering why adjusting to simple rule in order to save lives is becoming a big issue. Limiting religious extremists to their mosques, churches and shrines is a case long settled in many civilized climes we envy today.

Is a mere facial covering more important than human lives being wasted almost on daily basis through Boko Haram activities? Do these people prefer a situation where the female suicide bomber taking advantage of the Hijab being worn by female students to kill innocent Nigerians there in the North?

Day in day out, bombs explode in places of worship majorly in Northeastern side and few communities are becoming desolate already.
Speak of restricting the use of certain facial coverings, and you'll promptly realize that a piece of black cloth can be more sacred than the lives of the entire members of the community.

After the World Trade Centre was attacked in New York City in 2001, new tough measures were put in place, to secure airports and other places of public accommodation. We haven't heard of any case similar to it after the measures were put in place. When Ebola came to our land, people were asked to wash hands regularly. I did not hear anyone claim that such a practice amounted to gross violation of their culture. Southern religious leaders were instructed to end the practice of Christian religious revivals and crusades, as it was an excellent breeding technique for Ebola. Shaking hands, a sacred religious rite, was suspended in all Catholic churches. Ebola was nipped right in the bud. It did not fester because government had the balls to take tough measures, and the people were liberal enough to adapt themselves to change.

In some Islamic nations like Senegal, here in Africa, the use of facial covering has been banned yet their religion hasn't changed. But the reverse is usually the case in the Northern Nigeria. Our people in the region are too religious to see sense in suggested preventive measures to help curb the loss of lives to the terrorists' activities in their domain. They simply never imagined the number of lives that will be lost while defending the sanctity of the cloth. What a people!
Re: When Muslim Veil Becomes A Security Threat In The Northern Nigerian. Written By by ozy4christ(f): 12:38pm On Nov 29, 2015
Dont mind them,instead of dem 2 bound ijab or just using head own.until dey finish dem,dey wil kw

(1) (Reply)

Sahara Reporters breaking: Sabon Gari Market In Kano On Fire... / Can You Rock This Haircut?? / Christmas Gifts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.