Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,909 members, 7,814,073 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches (29340 Views)

Nigerian Uses Signpost, Tells Churches That Schools Owned By Them Should Be Free / Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? / What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Dahveydson(m): 8:35am On Dec 13, 2015
Every Sunday there are topics about Christians and the church, and every tom dick and harry can comment.

But on friday, when Islam topics come up, only Muslims can comment.

It is just wrong.

3 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Timoleon(m): 8:43am On Dec 13, 2015
Odunharry:

agree...

number 3 is one common reason people do

i disagree jor! the new church the person is goin to, is also some people's parent's church...however when the time come, the youths will go out to find their own church. will they also be leaving cos dey dont want to hear the truth? hence if its about not wanting to hear d truth in one's parent's church, it will surely be told in another person's parent's church. however what u actualy call truth in churches dese days is actualy buzzybody!
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by manie(m): 8:48am On Dec 13, 2015
Blizzy9ja:
Some churches today are disconnected from the present generation that why they cannot reach them

The problem with many churches and pastors is that they are disconnected from this generation, they don't speak their language, they don't even understand what appeals to this generation and that's why they cannot reach them - Pastor Lanre Oluseye, HOTRphc
I left my parents church because of some of the reasons outlined by the Op, but now that am in my mid 40s and more matured I am back to my parents church. I now prefer the orthodox church to most of the new generation churches.

6 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Diamondcrown97(m): 8:50am On Dec 13, 2015
Why am planning to leave my parents church is because of time factor.... We start by 10am and end service by 2pm at least. #imagine
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by GeneviveHuby: 8:54am On Dec 13, 2015
This is a big time issue nowadays! I am still single because someone I love wanted me to port from my catholic to Deeper life Bible church. Being a catholic since my childhood I vowed that I can never try it. If I should ever, it should be my forefathers way I would take. But 3 days ago, my DBC friend told me she cannot marry a supposedly church member who engaged her 'cos of his behavior. We Africans' worship of God is moving very fast, from paganism to orthodox to penticostal to bible-only to fry-your-hair to etc. because of what I don't just know.

1 Like

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by manie(m): 8:54am On Dec 13, 2015
PLANETMARS:
Most churches are business center....last sunday I walked out on a church because I came to worship not trade my money for blessings.
This is one of the reasons why i stopped attending new generation churches and went back to my parents church after 22 years.

1 Like

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by manie(m): 8:57am On Dec 13, 2015
Mintayo:
Because their parents churches speak the truth, tell them what they should hear, not what they want to hear. So many churches today are speaking what the congregation want to hear not the other way round.
you are correct.
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by manie(m): 8:59am On Dec 13, 2015
ruffhandu:
Some hide away from being noticed and burdened with responsibilities.
I am guilty of this.
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by ipreach: 9:13am On Dec 13, 2015
you are really correct, i abandoned mine beau of the method of preaching and teaching
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by ZLUK(f): 9:15am On Dec 13, 2015
Number 7 reason is definitely a brand new Porsche...
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by lawbabs: 9:16am On Dec 13, 2015
Lionize:
Although it is One's fundamental right to choose to worship any being he/she desires, we know in this part of the world, one is actually subjected, or cajoled to worship the same God One's parents worship.

It is better to cajole or coerce One than meting out the capital punishment. It is very bad and wicked of those who go as far as killing their own who Port place/object of worship.

My question is: If you actually know you are heading to heaven and unbelievers/infidels are on their way to hell, why would you kill the unbeliever/infidel for not worshipping what you worship? You intend sending him/her to hell quicker than he/she wanted? Funny.

Oftentimes you see young people leave the churches where their parents worship to other churches; many for different reasons.

I am not saying that porting church is bad or sinful, after all, if you are not being spiritually fulfilled where you are, you seek fulfillment elsewhere. But, most of this young people leave because of ulterior reasons. Here are some of those as I have observed:

1. Spiritual Fulfillment:

Some people leave their family churches because they are not spiritually fulfilled where they are. Some feel they don't receive the word of God as they should and so they port to where they feel God would speak to them more clearly.

2. Miracles:

For those that do not know they can make miracles happen themselves, they port to a church where it happens if it doesn’t where he/she worships, not minding if the miracles are real or fake, if they have to pay stiff prices or not. From the search for husband, wealth, to the search for babies. Name them. You all know what I’m talking about here, so help me site some examples please.

3. Social reasons:

Many young people, or even some adults after attaining some social status, see their parents’ churches as ‘Old School”, and thus want to move to where their likes are, where it’s “happening”. For instance, guys who want to perm their hair would not remain in an Anglican, Catholic or Deeper Life church; you know where they would gravitate to.

4. Cover-up:

Many young people actually leave their original churches because they want to have the liberty to live in sin while inside the church. Yes, I just wrote that. Since their parent’s presence in the same church wouldn’t give them that chance, they seek where they can hide and do what they want. We know some guys go to church just because they want to woo a lady.

But the question is: must you go to church?

Remember, Galatians 6.7 says “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he
also reap.”

5. Marriage:

This mostly applies to ladies. When some ladies, after looking around their church and concluding that there are no eligible man that suits their taste, they seek where they would have options. I know a lady who was doing well and was in a church that forbids their members from marrying from outside the church. O Boy, when time kept moving only in clockwise direction without a pause, she ported. The rest was history.

6 Material Benefits:

I once went visiting and spent some few days with some boys in Kaduna, somewhere around a place called “Television”. I was surprised when one of the boys came back from church one Sunday with raw rice and other food ingredients. He said it was so in that church once in a while, and that had attracted him to the church. This was a boy who smoked wee-wee like he wouldn’t have Oxygen to live on without it.

There are many other reasons, but let me not bore you further for now.

Advise: If you want to serve God, serve Him in Spirit and in Truth (see John 4.23-24)

Parents should still ensure they put in eye in the affairs of their kids irrespective of where they worship. It is your responsibility to bring up your child in the way the child should go.

Shalom!

http://www.obitteleo..com.ng/2015/11/church-porting.html

True
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by manie(m): 9:17am On Dec 13, 2015
Timoleon:

i disagree jor! the new church the person is goin to, is also some people's parent's church...however when the time come, the youths will go out to find their own church. will they also be leaving cos dey dont want to hear the truth? hence if its about not wanting to hear d truth in one's parent's church, it will surely be told in another person's parent's church. however what u actualy call truth in churches dese days is actualy buzzybody!
We have new churches that are founded by Pastors who are 30 years and 100% of the congregation are students and young people of less than 35 years, considering the demography of this type of a church, is it possible to have congregation members who have children that can decide to port. Parents in such a congragation will have children of 5 years and below.
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by manie(m): 9:22am On Dec 13, 2015
GeneviveHuby:
This is a big time issue nowadays! I am still single because someone I love wanted me to port from my catholic to Deeper life Bible church. Being a catholic since my childhood I vowed that I can never try it. If I should ever, it should be my forefathers way I would take. But 3 days ago, my DBC friend told me she cannot marry a supposedly church member who engaged her 'cos of his behavior. We Africans' worship of God is moving very fast, from paganism to orthodox to penticostal to bible-only to fry-your-hair to etc. because of what I don't just know.
Nothing stops you guys from getting married in the registry if it is not possible due to denominations,

1 Like

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Timoleon(m): 9:26am On Dec 13, 2015
manie:
We have new churches that are founded by Pastors who are 30 years and 100% of the congregation are students and young people of less than 35 years, considering the demography of this type of a church, is it possible to have congregation members who have children that can decide to port. Parents in such a congragation will have children of 5 years and below.

thats just one example u r giving....however, the post didnt limit d porting by time. hence, the same church u mentioned with their 5 year old kids will grow too. when the child becomes 16, and decides to leave, will he be leaving because he doesnt want to hear the truth? certainly not! he will be leaving because of the bizzybodies claiming i knew you since you were a baby.

now for another scenario,my parents are members of deeperlife bible church, i however decided to change to a redeem or foursquare church. would i av left because i dont want to hear the truth and its lies dey tell in redeem or foursquare?

in the same redeem i am porting to, there will be teenagers and youths porting to other churches too...its not a do or die affair.
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Mcowubaba: 9:33am On Dec 13, 2015
Firstly, we shouldn't believe in Churches, we should believe solely on Jesus Christ, personally I don't practice denomination...

Anywhere the lord leads me, I will go...catholic today, presbyterian tmwr, Redeemed, winners, deeper life, Overcomes etc..
Most churches have doctrines that are not in concord with the word of God.. That's why u hear things like- my Bishop told us undecided, our daddy in the lord said we should ...WHAT IS JESUS CHRIST actually telling u...
Many so-called Christians are blinded by denomination nd doctrine... The uphold their doctrine nd words of their Priest/Bishop/pastor more than the word of GOD..this was not the plan Christ had!!!

4 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by lovely17(m): 9:41am On Dec 13, 2015
The only reason I will like to port away from my parents church is because of the language barrier, the Yoruba they speak there is scary most times I leave there without gaining a single thing,thats a day wasted
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by kaziblake(f): 9:42am On Dec 13, 2015
I don't like my mum's church because even if you are sick nobody I repeat nobody will come visit you or at least call. No encouragement @all

3 Likes

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by tommysparks: 9:43am On Dec 13, 2015
GeneviveHuby:
same issue with me bro, I am also still single because the lady I loved wanted me to port from catholic to CRM, and I could not see myself doing that. And I thought of us doing court wedding and damn the consequences then I remembered that at old age the religious cracks will come to bear once more and that was the end.
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by manie(m): 9:46am On Dec 13, 2015
We have both inter church and intra church porting. My cousin and his children attend the same church/denomination, but the children attend a different parish. The parish attended by the children is quite far from home, but it is a bubbling parish compared to the classical parish which the parents attend.

1 Like

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by tommysparks: 9:46am On Dec 13, 2015
manie:
Nothing stops you guys from getting married in the registry if it is not possible due to denominations,
the cracks will still come to bear when they get old and start thinking about where they will go when they die. Sometimes I wish there was nothing like church and wish everybody could just worship in the comfort of their homes just like morning prayers, and then get on with your life.

1 Like

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by manie(m): 9:52am On Dec 13, 2015
tommysparks:
same issue with me bro, I am also still single because the lady I loved wanted me to port from catholic to CRM, and I could not see myself doing that. And I thought of us doing court wedding and damn the consequences then I remembered that at old age the religious cracks will come to bear once more and that was the end.
Do your registry wedding, give birth to your children at the fulness of time you will normalize everything.
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by manie(m): 9:54am On Dec 13, 2015
tommysparks:
the cracks will still come to bear when they get old and start thinking about where they will go when they die. Sometimes I wish there was nothing like church and wish everybody could just worship in the comfort of their homes just like morning prayers, and then get on with your life.
How? Can you explain the statement where they will go when they die?
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by manie(m): 10:04am On Dec 13, 2015
kaziblake:
I don't like my mum's church because even if you are sick nobody I repeat nobody will come visit you or at least call. No encouragement @all
Sorry about that, the easiest way to get a smile is by smile at people you see or meet. Do you have friends in the church? Have you tried to make friends in the church? How many sick people have you visited in the church? Even if you visited your friends when they were sick, but they refused to visit you now that you are sick, the best thing to do in that case is " to look unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith".

1 Like

Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Favolly(f): 10:09am On Dec 13, 2015
Everybody just dey publish list anyhow sha undecided
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by kaziblake(f): 10:14am On Dec 13, 2015
manie:
Sorry about that, the easiest way to get a smile is by smile at people you see or meet. Do you have friends in the church? Have you tried to make friends in the church? How many sick people have you visited in the church? Even if you visited your friends when they were sick, but they refused to visit you now that you are sick, the best thing to do in that case is " to look unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith".
I was brought up in a strictly Muslim background after my dad death we converted to christanity,the way they look at you in that church sometime even if the youth are doing something they won't involve me. Maybe because the church members are mostly one tribe
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by tommysparks: 10:15am On Dec 13, 2015
manie:
How? Can you explain the statement where they will go when they die?
they start planning for their death. Don't you see dome people as they grow older they become more committed to church activities. So when there is a church crack that has not been sealed up properly it will manifest once more.
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by queebeediva(f): 10:21am On Dec 13, 2015
A lot of people today only go to church for 1. fashion display 2.just to make people to see them as belivers, 3. To fuilfill the desire of their parent etc. Religion is ment to shapen our life possitively and service to humanity but the reverse is the case.
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by manie(m): 10:22am On Dec 13, 2015
tommysparks:
they start planning for their death. Don't you see dome people as they grow older they become more committed to church activities. So when there is a church crack that has not been sealed up properly it will manifest once more.
Nothing stops them from mending the so-called after they married. A couple is married for more than 20 years and they still find it difficult to mend a supposed crack.
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by jacy67(f): 10:25am On Dec 13, 2015
Some pastors preach as if they are afraid of certain members of the church, lay emphasis on giving money as if you're buying " blessings". I went to a certain parish where the sermon was more depressing because the govt was blamed for every mishap. so tell me why I no go comot if my spirit is always downcast when I come back from such service? undecided
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by Nobody: 10:30am On Dec 13, 2015
Blizzy9ja:
Some churches today are disconnected from the present generation that why they cannot reach them

The problem with many churches and pastors is that they are disconnected from this generation, they don't speak their language, they don't even understand what appeals to this generation and that's why they cannot reach them - Pastor Lanre Oluseye, HOTRphc

That's my pastor,my guy!
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by JohnFrankling(m): 10:41am On Dec 13, 2015
I'm planning on leaving my parents church to eckankar but I will wait till I graduate so that nobody will disturb me when worship my God I'm leaving the church not because its real or fake that's not my biz I'm leaving because I have some burning issues about my life I need to find answer and this my pastor aint helping matters I need answers to life experience not sugar coated talk cos life no easy, its a free world and God is real
Re: Six Reasons Why Youths Port From Their Parents' Churches by SoupNazi(m): 11:06am On Dec 13, 2015
M4gunners:
So real expecially number 5.As for me i always go to Church that will close early latest before 12:30 ,so i can come back and watch Matches. Like today game Villa vs Arsenal, only God knows if i will step out of my door today.

Isn't Villa vs Arsenal at 2:30pm? More than enough time to step out yo door. #GarbageExcuse

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Complete Breakdown Of Mathew 24:29-30 Part 2 / Dead Man Revived By Bishop Oyedepo's Prophetic Mantle - Faith Tabernacle Press / Seven Things A Christian Must Never Do Because Of Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.