Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

Is Christian Tithing A Salvational Issue? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Christian Tithing A Salvational Issue? (2112 Views)

Why Is Christian Terrorism Downplayed In The U.S.? / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here / Why Is Christian Dating So Difficult? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Christian Tithing A Salvational Issue? by KunleOshob(m): 4:11pm On Jun 05, 2009
pilgrim.1:

You're inferring things into the reference. The references did not point to the "origin" of tithe - neither in Mesopatamia, nor at Abraham's time, nor any of the other places mentioned; nor did it say it was "confirming" it was 'pagan'. Reading pagan into it is assuming things.
Where the mesopotamians[who taught abaham tithing] not pagans? I am not inferring anything, you tithers claim that tithing was instructed by God[inferrring it originated from God] whilst the evidence we have [which you graciously posted] makes it crystal clear that tithing was a common practise in that region as of that time and the israelites probably copied it from civilizations that precede them.
Re: Is Christian Tithing A Salvational Issue? by pilgrim1(f): 4:19pm On Jun 05, 2009
KunleOshob:

Where the mesopotamians[who taught abaham tithing] not pagans? I am not inferring anything, you tithers claim that tithing was instructed by God[inferrring it originated from God] whilst the evidence we have [which you graciously posted] makes it crystal clear that tithing was a common practise in that region as of that time and the israelites probably copied it from civilizations that precede them.

Again you infer. Did the references "confirm" that Abraham was taught about tithing from Mesopatamia? How is it that is only where you find in those references? It simply said that "the ‘tenth’ was usually approximate, not exact. The practice is known from Mesopotamia, Syria-Palestine, Greece and as far to the west as the Phoenician city of Carthage". How do you connect Abraham's tithe with paganism when Melchizedek was not said to be in that connection in Scripture?

None of the references "confirms" anything about the "origin" of tithes; only that the practice was known in those places.
Re: Is Christian Tithing A Salvational Issue? by KunleOshob(m): 4:24pm On Jun 05, 2009
pilgrim.1:

Again you infer. Did the references "confirm" that Abraham was taught about tithing from Mesopatamia? How is it that is only where you find in those references? It simply said that "the ‘tenth’ was usually approximate, not exact. The practice is known from Mesopotamia, Syria-Palestine, Greece and as far to the west as the Phoenician city of Carthage". How do you connect Abraham's tithe with paganism when Melchizedek was not said to be in that connection in Scripture?

None of the references "confirms" anything about the "origin" of tithes; only that the practice was known in those places.
Obviously you don't have anything to say cause the evidence[which you graciosuly posted] is just too glaring.
Re: Is Christian Tithing A Salvational Issue? by pilgrim1(f): 4:28pm On Jun 05, 2009
KunleOshob:

Obviously you don't have anything to say cause the evidence[which you graciosuly posted] is just too glaring.

Where does the evidence reference show the "confirm" that you read into it?
Re: Is Christian Tithing A Salvational Issue? by KunleOshob(m): 4:35pm On Jun 05, 2009
pilgrim.1:

Where does the evidence reference show the "confirm" that you read into it?
It's called common sense. Abraham grew up in mesopotamia were it was their custom to tithe. Common sense dictates that he must have learnt about tithing from his pagan folks in mesopotamia. tongue
Re: Is Christian Tithing A Salvational Issue? by pilgrim1(f): 4:37pm On Jun 05, 2009
KunleOshob:

It's called common sense. Abraham grew up in mesopotamia were it was their custom to tithe. Common sense dictates that he must have learnt about tithing from his pagan folks in mesopotamia. tongue

Where is your "confirmation" in those references that tithing ORIGINATED from those places?
Re: Is Christian Tithing A Salvational Issue? by KunleOshob(m): 4:50pm On Jun 05, 2009
pilgrim.1:

Where is your "confirmation" in those references that tithing ORIGINATED from those places?
I never said it originated in those places, all i said is that it pre-dates biblical tithes and Abraham obviously learnt it from there.
Re: Is Christian Tithing A Salvational Issue? by pilgrim1(f): 4:55pm On Jun 05, 2009
KunleOshob:

I never said it originated in those places, all i said is that it pre-dates biblical tithes and Abraham obviously learnt it from there.

Okay, no worries. Take care and enjoy.

[list]
KunleOshob:

Thanx for confirming my earlier assertions that the origins of tithes is pagan.
[/list]

[list]
pilgrim.1:

Which syntax in what you highlighted 'confirms' the "origin" of tithes as pagan to you?
[/list]

[list]
KunleOshob:

Mesopotomian civilization[where abraham came from]highlighted above confirms the origin as pagan to any student of the bible or history. Abraham obviously learnt about tithing from this culture as God never instructed him when he did so of his own free volition to the king of Salem
[/list]

[list]
pilgrim.1:

I suspected that was what might be on your mind, but didn't want to prejudge it. The fact that something "is known in Mesopotamia" does not mean that it originated from there. Nothing in that reference argues that tithing was first known or first practiced in Mesopotamia; and thank you for acknowledging indeed that Abraham's tithe to the king of Salem was of his own free volition - just as tithers today choose to do so.
[/list]
Re: Is Christian Tithing A Salvational Issue? by KunleOshob(m): 5:04pm On Jun 05, 2009
@Pilgrim.1
As usual you try to quote me out of context but for the benefit of others i would try and explain my self better. Abraham, the first person to tithe in the bible originated from mesopotamia and since tithing was practised there it is only logical that he learnt to tithe their as there is no record in the bible that he was ever instructed by God to tithe. So by saying the origins of tithe is pagan i am still in order even if we don't know the exact culture to first practise tithes we know that the practise of tithes in mesopotamia pre-dates biblical tithes hence the original origin is not biblical. And since the earlier cultures we know that practised tithing are pagan we can very safely conclude that the origins of tithing is pagan

@All
Have a nice weekend, i am out of here. cool
Re: Is Christian Tithing A Salvational Issue? by pilgrim1(f): 5:07pm On Jun 05, 2009
KunleOshob:

@Pilgrim.1
As usual you try to quote me out of context but for the benefit of others i would try and explain my self better. Abraham, the first person to tithe in the bible originated from mesopotamiaand since tithing was practised there it is only logical that he learnt to tithe their as there is no record in the bible that he was ever instructed by God to tithe. So by saying the origins of tithe is pagan i am still in order even if we don't know the exact culture to first practise tithes we know that the practise of tithes in mesopotamia pre-dates biblical tithes hence the original origin is not biblical. And since the earlier cultures we know that practised tithing are pagan we can very safely conclude that the origins of tithing is biblical

None of the references "confirms" any orgin of tithe for you - that was all the point. You didn't need to try and force that inference into the references, which was why I kept asking you to point out where you read the "origin" in them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Church Names And Address In Nigeria / The Strong Delusion Of Christian Zionism & John Hagee / Do People Worship God Because They Realy Love Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.