Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,660 members, 7,820,326 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria (16452 Views)

Why Is Unemployment Getting Worse In Nigeria / Why Entrepreneurship Is Not The Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria / How Bad Is It, Going To An Interview With Native Wear? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Limassol(m): 3:06pm On Aug 23, 2021
Ngasky:
Actually it is not as bad as perceived. I believe underemployed should be the real challenge.
As far as you are ready to work without any big ambitious position. One can get a job within 2 weeks or less. Especially if you are dedicated
i pressume you belong to the fortunate few, probably that could explain why you downplayed the severity of unemployment bedeviling Nigerians. According to NBC,the unemployment rate currently stands at 33.3%, the second highest in the world, i belive,however,that is a conservative estimate as the accurate rate could be far higher. That said, you my friend is out of touch of reality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Hassanmaye(m): 3:07pm On Aug 23, 2021
CsRockefeller:
22 years gone, and nothing has changed.

Talent you see any?

Attention!!!
Have a Brand New Nokia 6.2 (4/64) going for cheap at 55k.
Are you more than 30 years
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Hassanmaye(m): 3:08pm On Aug 23, 2021
JavaScript90:
What is unemployment? I believe people just can't bring down themselves to do certain jobs due to their ego or certificate. I remember 2011 when I finished waec I had to start offloading plantain to make ends meet though my colleagues opted to do sales girl /boy and other minor jobs until person enter university. Now we dib graduate my colleagues who didn't find white collar jobs are either sowing,buying/selling, into crypto or other stuffs. Honestly I don't know any that is not 'working'. The problem is that everyone wants high paying government/private jobs which everyone can't get. I honestly believe that what we actually have in the country is under-employment not unemployment
True
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Hassanmaye(m): 3:10pm On Aug 23, 2021
Godispeace:
NIgeria youth and Nigerians are so funny , Your pastors e.g Oyedepo etc and Alhajis keep turning every factory /ware house ( meant for industrial revolution), turn every empty lands (meant for Agriculture/farming ) into worship centers with poor people offerings /tithes and keep asking you to pray for job improvement while at the same time lure you to continue to blame govt /Buhari for unemployment.
Lol pastors build expensive university that there fore fathers can't afford after collecting tithes to build it

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Hassanmaye(m): 3:11pm On Aug 23, 2021
ezenwajosh:
Nigeria has the highest number of comedy skit online

That's how you know....Nigeria is here to kill any business or idea

Because everybody will rush into it at once, kill it and start complaining is not moving again.

Run away from Nigeria.....give your spe*ms and eggs a better future to thrive in grin
I heard there are NGOs that buy sperm or kidney can you recommend me to one
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Hassanmaye(m): 3:14pm On Aug 23, 2021
MrHealth:
Hmmm...

Nigeria is gone.

But do you know what I heard yesterday?

I heard some guys are getting married with N20K Monthly Salary in this same Nigeria

Somebody should please pour cold water on me. I won faint grin

Hahha
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Hassanmaye(m): 3:16pm On Aug 23, 2021
Ojycelarma:
There's urgent need for the government or people in power to focus more on the lecturer if they can really equip the students with what they need, some of this lecturers hardly behave as lecturers, only few of them still try to impact knowledge, some are glad people fail their course cheesy some lecturers can operate a computer only theory, over crowding in this classrooms, not making the students feel important, someone on nairaland said YouTube is better than Nigerian university just the certificate and NYSC grin in Nigeria some first class can't do basic operations on a computer, sad the system as failed grin now you ask for sociology sch give you agric grin so the problems are too numerous, in Nigeria you hear things like sch na scam grin I can go on and on but I'm just going to stop here because I still have things to attend to grin thank you
Lol I know someone who graduated from university with computer science degree he can't handle Microsoft office
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Hassanmaye(m): 3:18pm On Aug 23, 2021
ZooOga:
Many peepo are caught in the class mindset. Dem think because dey went to Uni it is beneath dem dignity to do work using dem hands, menial work, or tilling the fertile soil until a better opportunity arrives in life. Year in and year out dey cry and moan about conditions instead of getting up off of dem yansh and building a brighter future and better country. Every week we see threads about yahoo boys getting docked. Armed robbers and kidnappers in the north are easily manipulated because of lack of modern education by the northern elites. No excuse for other sections of Naija.
. because of Lack of education what is the difference between them and a Yahoo graduate that steal people's hard earned money??
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by kokoboy4life(m): 3:19pm On Aug 23, 2021
Princeps:
I recently got a job that pays almost a million monthly after taxes, in Nigeria. No connection got me the job. God's Grace got me from start to finish. Threads like this are really pointless if your faith in God is strong.

Wow Congrats, which type of job is that

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by criuze(m): 3:20pm On Aug 23, 2021
The truth about unemployment is

1. There's plenty jobs in Nigeria, 96% can't sustain a standard living

2. There are plenty artisan job but people dont like going into that

3. There's limited graduate jobs in nigeria and most graduate wouldn't like doing hand jobs

If you need for yourself, you can learn something if you have the patience to endure the apprenticeship period

Apprenticeship period might take longer time in order to master the trade

Most people don't have that patience and thats why they dont either succed in the competitive economy or even have the extra skill to withstand the challenges of a mew business entry

And consequently, they queue up again in the number of unemployed people

2 Likes

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Ojycelarma: 3:30pm On Aug 23, 2021
You can say that again, most computer science students in this country can't defend their certificate, that why you see most of the youths copy in exam halls,, Nigeria selling the wrong education to the youths, can you imagine a really educated population now do you think 9ja would be here today? More than half of the country na illiterate and the ones that went to sch close half can't defend their certificate.. Most of the graduates can't even wait for NYSC so that small money would be entering and so that they can post on social media for people to start typing congratulations up and down grin, illiteracy and poverty

3 Likes

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 23, 2021
MrMcJay:

I think I remember you. You're the man whose power generation business was clamped down on, right? I saw your post years ago.
yea, am the one
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Limassol(m): 3:32pm On Aug 23, 2021
coputa:
It's not the lack of job but lack of skills to help themselves.
There are jobs everywhere,but our graduates do not have the required skills to fit in, as employer or employee.
Our educational curriculum should be over hauled to suit our peculiar environment
"there are jobs everywhere"? Do you talk trash just for fun or is that your nature? According to NBS unemployment is 33.3%, not to talk of the underemployed and underpaid, which is through the roof.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:33pm On Aug 23, 2021
Hassanmaye:

I heard there are NGOs that buy sperm or kidney can you recommend me to one
I don't know any

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by gabicon: 3:43pm On Aug 23, 2021
dblock:
Like if you go to University studying any course in Nigeria and you get an achievement between Average and Excellent. How likely are you to get a decent job in the job market.

If unemployment is so bad, why do people bother going to university?

To linger around until something comes up?

What is the unbiased, impersonal truth to unemployment in the entire country.

interesting question, there are a number of factors that contribute to unemployment. one of the biggest factors is religion influencing population growth, religion has messed a lot of things up, people who don't have the means give birth to children that they can't carter for, some of our religious and cultural beliefs frown against safe sex and contraception, the effect 20 years down the line is unemployment. Nigerians can be very religious, frowning at sex in the open but loving it in the secret.

Another factor is the fact that our education system remains static, it never evolves, as of today technology has taken over most of the jobs our educational institutions are educating us on. so if one studies a course that is irrelevant to today's world, its only natural the opportunities will be minimal. We presently run an education system that was built during the industrial revolution to mass-produce people to manage mass-producing businesses, the currency of today's educational system is value innovation and critical thinking. Our lecturers teach us to cram information when we out to be taught how to think critically on how to approach and solve problems. This is the reason why our graduates are unemployable, they tell you what is written in the textbook when what you need is not in a textbook yet to be written by them.

Education is key to making an impact in or world today, that bit we all know but what we are educated on is just as important as education itself, many of the courses in our institutions ought to be scraped, as of today we dont have institutions teaching software engineering, data science, user interphase design, 3d printing, artificial intelligence, bionic engineering, ballistics etc. The world does not live in the past the world lives in the future.

Another issue is that we lack a concrete plan for most things in Nigeria, we plan per election cycle. we give lofty names to our plans like vision 2000, vision 2020 they all lack aim and objectives.

Ideologically we have been programmed to despise small businesses, but all over the world most big businesses were small businesses that grew for over 20 - 50 years, we tend to think that if you don't work with shell and nnpc, and government or big businesses you don't have a job. Many family businesses that ought to have gone mega when passed to the next generation died. Go to China, India, the middle east, American businesses intergenerational some are in the fourth generation.

So back to your question, unemployment is very high, the official numbers show that 11 of every 20 people are unemployed, I am 99% certain that that number is greatly understated. We ought to be in a civil war as we speak, thanks to our religious institutions that sell hope to the people we are still here. To exit this terrible situation we will have to retrain our people, that is where going to school comes in, it is easier to train someone who can read and write than one who can't. We need to train our people most especially to see opportunities, many foreigners are smiling to the bank in Nigeria while our people are in anguish. We need detailed national plans on the product and services we want the world to know us for and train our people to be the best in those jobs.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Princeps: 3:46pm On Aug 23, 2021
kokoboy4life:

Wow Congrats, which type of job is that
In Technology Sales & Business Development.

2 Likes

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Amalekki: 3:49pm On Aug 23, 2021
Employment? Do you guys even realize that Nigeria's population was projected to be 97 million people in 1991 and today it's double that figure. There was almost total unemployment in 1991! No vacancy anywhere. What do now expect in 2021 with 210 million people in a land barely bigger than just the state of Texas in USA?

Good thing is that rain falls as at when due, most plants survive on our lands, no Tsunami, no tornadoes, no hurricane, no snow, no wildfire bigger than the entire southern Nigeria etc. We are our own problem and we must find our own solution.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Limassol(m): 3:51pm On Aug 23, 2021
Princeps:
I recently got a job that pays almost a million monthly after taxes, in Nigeria. No connection got me the job. God's Grace got me from start to finish. Threads like this are really pointless if your faith in God is strong.
Nonsense. People with monthly income of 500k are Less than 0.1% of Nigeria's total labour force. Besides, so the nearly 40m unemployment have no faith in God? Dude are you f**king high?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Princeps: 4:00pm On Aug 23, 2021
Limassol:
Nonsense. People with monthly income of 500k are Less than 0.1% of Nigeria's total labour force. Besides, so the nearly 40m unemployment have no faith in God? Dude are you f**king high?
Oga, my God has never failed me, I can only speak for myself, I can't speak for 40m unemployed. This is not the first or second time I am getting a fantastic job in my life out of nowhere due to a miracle from God. Considering that I graduated almost 20 years ago. And I finished with a 3rd class. Abeg carry your wahala and go please. I posted my opinion here. If you don't like it, swerve. No need to be confrontational. You reek of immaturity.

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Mavor: 4:04pm On Aug 23, 2021
Limassol:
Bad belle kii you there!!!! angry

1 Like

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by kokoboy4life(m): 4:05pm On Aug 23, 2021
Princeps:
In Technology Sales & Business Development.
Oh Good, did you study a course in the Uni that relates to this profession or you got it through a skill you developed for yourself.
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Princeps: 4:08pm On Aug 23, 2021
kokoboy4life:

Oh Good, did you study a course in the Uni that relates to this profession or you got it through a skill you developed for yourself.
I studied Engineering, started my first job as an implementation manager, then transitioned to technology sales. Every business out there wants to sell, either goods or services or both. Being an effective sales person has helped.
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by kokoboy4life(m): 4:11pm On Aug 23, 2021
Princeps:
I studied Engineering, started my first job as an implementation manager, then transitioned to technology sales. Every business out there wants to sell, either goods or services or both. Being an effective sales person has helped.

How can someone become an effective sales person? Do not mind too much questions, I asked you these questions because I am really striving hard to improve on my financial income.
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Princeps: 4:16pm On Aug 23, 2021
kokoboy4life:

How can someone become an effective sales person? Do not mind too much questions, I asked you these questions because I am really strive hard to improve on my financial income.

Understand the product/services you are selling
Understand your target customers and their issues
Analyze your competition.
Create your value proposition unique to each customer
Engage your customer for feedback.
Modify your proposition if necessary
Close the deal.
Good relationship with customer decision makers and influencers goes a long way in helping to close deals.
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Godispeace: 4:29pm On Aug 23, 2021
so pathetic ooooo
Hassanmaye:

Lol pastors build expensive university that there fore fathers can't afford after collecting tithes to build it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Sunisonflex39(m): 4:29pm On Aug 23, 2021
Omo na online marketing I dey use hold body o.. Check my signature
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by coputa(m): 4:44pm On Aug 23, 2021
Limassol:
"there are jobs everywhere"? Do you talk trash just for fun or is that your nature? According to NBS unemployment is 33.3%, not to talk of the underemployed and underpaid, which is through the roof.
What is a job, a job is what one does to earn a living, maybe the type of jobs you are referring are those top bank and oil companies jobs.
without skills,you cannot fit into the job market both within and outside the country.
The jobs are there but out teeming graduates cannot access them because of their poor training that is not in tandem with modern day realities.

The were trained to for servitudes,to work for others, probably in a company,but things has changed.
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by mfm04622: 4:45pm On Aug 23, 2021
kudinkarfe:
Unemployment is very high under this administration due to poor government policies. The course you read and your class of degree doesn't count if you don't have god father. While in school Please, find something to do, no matter how small. it's better than being idle. Join a friend in his business, join your parents, learn a handwork or skill, don't slumber in your dads house believing there is White collar job. You will hate life when you graduate and you are jobless without any skill or business to support yourself.

Kindly educate me. How is the unemployment due to poor government policies? Can you tell me the policies and how they cause low unemployment?
Thank you
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by kokoboy4life(m): 4:45pm On Aug 23, 2021
Princeps:

Understand the product/services you are selling
Understand your target customers and their issues
Analyze your competition.
Create your value proposition unique to each customer
Engage your customer for feedback.
Modify your proposition if necessary
Close the deal.
Good relationship with customer decision makers and influencers goes a long way in helping to close deals.

Wow interesting once again thanks for the responses I do appreciate your time, furthermore i will be glad if its possible for you to get me sales job, though my I have no experience about it.
Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by kudinkarfe: 5:11pm On Aug 23, 2021
mfm04622:

Kindly educate me. How is the unemployment due to poor government policies? Can you tell me the policies and how they cause low unemployment?
Thank you

Economic policies of this FG are not working. there is high inflation rate, mass retrenchment of workers by companies, high cost of living and high unemployment rate. If the fg has a good economy policies things would have change for good. FG need to stop increasing fuel price, electricity tariff, and many taxes imposed on small scale business owners. FG need to work on the security of the country as no foreign investor will invest in a country with high level of insecurity. FG should stop attacking social media like Twitter because it create employment for literate youth. I can go on and on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by grandstar(m): 5:28pm On Aug 23, 2021
Unemployment rate is presently 33%. Before PMB, it hovered around 10% which was even considered high. A good rate starts at 6% or less.

It is estimated that 2 in every 5 nigerian workers is either unemployed or underemployed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Bad Is Unemployment In Nigeria by Buckeyemedia1: 5:34pm On Aug 23, 2021
Racoon:
Just ask Lai Mohammed if truly dressing of masquerades have provided the 3M jobs he once lied about.
Private Sector & The States based on their comparative advantages creates jobs, not Federal Government. Unless maybe you want to work with customs & immigration?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

N-Power Beneficiaries Didn't Get Shortlisted For FCSC? / Have You Ever Felt Like A Fraud in your workplace? / Open Letter Of A Working Graduate To His Jobless Past

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.