Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:05 AM

My Little Irish Potato Farm Project - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Little Irish Potato Farm Project (5224 Views)

Pictorial Details Of A Poultry Farm Project In Lagos State / My Little Ginger Sack Farm In The South East / Why Does Irish Potato Grow ONLY In Plateau State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by HeGeMon(m): 8:23am On Dec 05, 2015
This is just a little effort by me to food sustainance. Enjoy & critique where necessary.. Thanks
First pic & 2nd are the seedlings which were nurtured for 6 months
3 & 4th is the land area. More updates coming.
Actual location is Jos, plateau state Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by queenoflafia(f): 8:40am On Dec 05, 2015
Wow this is inspiring.now that crude oil price is trending downward,u have made the right choice and I implore every one of us to follow suit.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by HeGeMon(m): 8:51am On Dec 05, 2015
More... That soil is already been mixed with manure &fertilizer, next are 2 standby 2" irrigation water pumps..
HeGeMon:
This is just a little effort by me to food sustainance. Enjoy & critique where necessary.. Thanks
First pic & 2nd are the seedlings which were nurtured for 6 months
3 & 4th is the land area. More updates coming.
Actual location is Jos, plateau state Nigeria.

Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by world1(m): 9:23am On Dec 05, 2015
welldone

2 Likes

Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by Lekan111(m): 10:09am On Dec 05, 2015
Am happy for you, you know the way Nigerians lets go farming

1 Like

Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by outlandra(m): 12:20pm On Dec 05, 2015
Nice one....

1 Like

Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by janvier27(m): 12:14pm On Dec 06, 2015
Nice. Well done. If only we can figure out how to preserve. I'll try and reach you to share some experience and make some enquiries. Best wishes.

1 Like

Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by dgitrader(m): 3:40pm On Dec 12, 2015
HeGeMon:
More... That soil is already been mixed with manure &fertilizer, next are 2 standby 2" irrigation water pumps..

more grease to your elbows.
I have few questions for you.
what is your source of water?
and how did you acquire your potatoes sidlings?
most farmers in jos are doing dry season vegetables now, what's the incentive for potato now?
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by HeGeMon(m): 4:40pm On Dec 12, 2015
dgitrader:

Tnx a lot, actually my source of water is a borehole because the area is rocky so the borehole is more sustainable to a well, for the seedlings, this is the most tricky & most important part because I researched for their varieties, for abt 8months between the rainy season& dry season, to learn abt the difffrnt varieties, which I nurtured for 6months , bros it mainly technical know-how. As for incentive, its all man for himself, but there is a place called ASTC which will be of great help in case of technical support.

##$########
more grease to your elbows.
I have few questions for you.
what is your source of water?
and how did you acquire your potatoes sidlings?
most farmers in jos are doing dry season vegetables now, what's the incentive for potato now?
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by dgitrader(m): 5:09pm On Dec 13, 2015
[quote author=HeGeMon post=40940002][/quote]

thanks.
I know astc well, they are trying but still long way to go in terms of localizing their techniques.
I asked about the seedlings because there are two new potatoe seed processing companies in jos now, vicampro and another one off bauchi ringroad. am yet to meet any farmer using their seedlings(which I saw some very big samples).

nice work Op. wishing u a bumper harvest as I dey follow this thread like shadow.
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by saliubello(m): 5:40pm On Dec 13, 2015
I must commend your efforts in feeding the Nation. Your productivity can be increased greatly by buying a rain gun sprinkler. All the items you have already ( pump and hose) will still give you low productivity because a lot is efforts will be needed to make the water go round.

With a rain gun attached to the other end of your water pump, You can wet 32m diameter in circular form. After this you proceed with other areas.

Contact me privately and I will give you a rain gun at a discounted price and you can come and report back to the house of your fabulous experience with the rain gun.

This I want replicated in all farms.

1 Like

Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by dgitrader(m): 5:59pm On Dec 13, 2015
saliubello:
I must commend your efforts in feeding the Nation. Your productivity can be increased greatly by buying a rain gun sprinkler. All the items you have already ( pump and hose) will still give you low productivity because a lot is efforts will be needed to make the water go round.

With a rain gun attached to the other end of your water pump, You can wet 32m diameter in circular form. After this you proceed with other areas.

Contact me privately and I will give you a rain gun at a discounted price and you can come and report back to the house of your fabulous experience with the rain gun.

This I want replicated in all farms.

nice concept saliu, but how cost effective is a raingun,in comparison with drip irrigation.?
also with a 32m diameter, how many will effectively cover an acre of leafy vegetables?
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by saliubello(m): 8:25pm On Dec 13, 2015
dgitrader:

nice concept saliu, but how cost effective is a raingun,in comparison with dripi irrigation.?
also with a 32m diameter, how many will effectively cover an acre of Leafy vegetables?
Thank you for your attention. Pardon my excesses too on your thread. I'm a farmer with a difference. I practice whatever I preach ONLY. Giving you lofty statistics/data isn't my aim but giving you something VALID, Workable and that solves your immediate irrigation need.

It is way cheaper than drip irrigation because the price for drip irrigation set up for one acre of farmland will buy you rainguns and other accessories that will enable you irrigate 4-5 acres. Those accessories I refer here will include about 300metres of high pressure hose like that which you have and a water pump of higher Horse power to match and deliver even more volumes of water than the required amount of RAIN WATER needed by your plant.

For starters like you, you will be saved of troubles of financing permanent irrigation structures that will amount to waste as your needs begin to increase due to FARM EXPANSIONS IN FUTURE.

This one is apt, mobile, detachable and flexible. This is because A single unit can be deployed for use in multiple farm location.

Your high pressure hose will not be prone to damage by rodents, or subjected to wear and tear due to exposure to hot sun.

Im working very hard on breaking the logistics challenges that makes my landing cost high. This rain gun is what you need as a meaningful and COST SAVING STRATEGY to irrigate your farm

08050323434 is number. I have increased my dry season acreage from 2 to 6 as a result of the effectiveness of the raingun.

Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by amanda2013(f): 9:01pm On Dec 13, 2015
saliubello:
Thank you for your attention. Pardon my excesses too on your thread. I'm a farmer with a difference. I practice whatever I preach ONLY. Giving you lofty statistics/data isn't my aim but giving you something VALID, Workable and that solves your immediate irrigation need.

It is way cheaper than drip irrigation because the price for drip irrigation set up for one acre of farmland will buy you rainguns and other accessories that will enable you irrigate 4-5 acres. Those accessories I refer here will include about 300metres of high pressure hose like that which you have and a water pump of higher Horse power to match and deliver even more volumes of water than the required amount of RAIN WATER needed by your plant.

For starters like you, you will be saved of troubles of financing permanent irrigation structures that will amount to waste as your needs begin to increase due to FARM EXPANSIONS IN FUTURE.

This one is apt, mobile, detachable and flexible. This is because A single unit can be deployed for use in multiple farm location.

Your high pressure hose will not be prone to damage by rodents, or subjected to wear and tear due to exposure to hot sun.

Im working very hard on breaking the logistics challenges that makes my landing cost high. This rain gun is what you need as a meaningful and COST SAVING STRATEGY to irrigate your farm

08050323434 is number. I have increased my dry season acreage from 2 to 6 as a result of the effectiveness of the raingun.

how much?
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by saliubello(m): 9:31am On Dec 14, 2015
amanda2013:
how much?
Its in various types

the big one is N60,000

Call me on 08050323434

...edited
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by dgitrader(m): 11:46pm On Dec 14, 2015
saliubello:

interesting.
what are you cultivating on the 6 acres?
and what's your typical watering routing with this raingun? I mean the procedure for watering you plants on a typical day.

@saliubello
^^this info will be much appreciated to have a fair idea of the labour requirement! especially for moving pipes, hose, or machines and rainguns from points to points if needed.
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by saliubello(m): 5:42pm On Dec 16, 2015
I am growing cucumber on the entire stretch. I currently use a locally fabricated mobile pumping unit since it has a carriage as trailer. I usually attach the raingun to the pumping machine.

Before now I use a 3inch mud pump just like the pictured above. The raingun will be attached to the end of the hose stretched to its full length. Work starts from there, the rain gun sprinkles water in circular form, when that is completed you move to other portions.

NOTE: INCREASE THE HOSE LENGTH TO COVER MORE AREA.

This should satisfy your immediate need.

Only two personnel will do the job of moving the hose and raingun stand
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by saliubello(m): 7:40am On Dec 18, 2015
Ask me any questions on the raingun use. I will post picture soon
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by stonecoldcafe: 7:50am On Dec 18, 2015
Lekan111:
Am happy for you, you know the way Nigerians lets go farming

I am happy*

1 Like

Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by stonecoldcafe: 7:53am On Dec 18, 2015
saliubello:
Ask me any questions on the raingun use. I will post picture soon

Why not open a separate thread for that so you don't derail this one. Open your thread; its free.

1 Like

Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by saliubello(m): 9:31am On Dec 18, 2015
stonecoldcafe:

Why not open a separate thread for that so you don't derail this one. Open your thread; its free.
Ain't irrigation equipment and potatoes farm not related? Ic. Those passionate about improving their finances will appreciate what i write. Excuse me friend!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by stonecoldcafe: 10:02am On Dec 18, 2015
saliubello:
Ain't irrigation equipment and potatoes farm not related? Ic. Those passionate about improving their finances will appreciate what i write. Excuse me friend!

You are excused but I must say you are hijacking his thread and your irrigation thing disturbed my smooth reading. Have a good day.

2 Likes

Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by saliubello(m): 12:21pm On Dec 18, 2015
@Op. Please come do the needful, we are waiting for more updates
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by ChidinmaRose(f): 12:36pm On Dec 18, 2015
I love this.
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by HeGeMon(m): 11:01pm On Dec 18, 2015
Sure more updates coming soon, these lil boys are doing good at 2 weeks, pls stay tuned..
saliubello:
@Op. Please come do the needful, we are waiting for more updates
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by HeGeMon(m): 11:46pm On Dec 24, 2015
Merry christmas in advance, Sorry, this is comn late, but this is the latest from the farm, as we can see, these boys are growing well, as a result of good manure, fertilizer & water, any comments will be appreciated.

1 Like

Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by Nobody: 2:58am On Dec 25, 2015
HeGeMon:
Merry christmas in advance, Sorry, this is comn late, but this is the latest from the farm, as we can see these boys are growing well, as a result of good manure, fertilizer & water ,any comments will be appreciated.

The plants are looking good. I'm curious. Whats ur rational behind applying manure and fertilize at thesame time. I presume using only manure should be good enough, or is the manure u applied not sufficient?
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by dgitrader(m): 6:37am On Dec 09, 2016
HeGeMon:
Merry christmas in advance, Sorry, this is comn late, but this is the latest from the farm, as we can see, these boys are growing well, as a result of good manure, fertilizer & water, any comments will be appreciated.

Great thread op. But would have been better if concluded with your total yeild.
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by Mmmcmmmcmmmm: 9:19pm On Jan 06, 2019
Please I'm interested in the Irish potato I need the leaves please how can I get it..please
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by Madas1986(m): 7:19pm On Jan 08, 2019
Mmmcmmmcmmmm:
Please I'm interested in the Irish potato I need the leaves please how can I get it..please
.you don't use the leaf ooo but the Irish itself
Re: My Little Irish Potato Farm Project by TheFalcons: 5:55pm On Feb 20, 2021
Madas1986:
.you don't use the leaf ooo but the Irish itself

he may want to eat it grin is it your business?

(1) (Reply)

Soyabeans / Lagos Partners Songhai To Develop Agriculture / Beware Of A Scammer On This Section I Got Scammed Of 20000 Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.