Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,750 members, 7,809,867 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) (23648 Views)

Bisi Alimi Slams Senators Behind Anti Same Sex Bill (Photo) / Senate Clarifies Social Media Bill Rumours / Sahara Reporters And Ben Murray-Bruce 'Fight' Over Social Media Bill(Tweets) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by nenergy(m): 9:57pm On Dec 05, 2015
Emekamex:
In otherwords, anyone that ridicules the PMB administration shall be found wanting.
APC zombies, can you see the mess you put us in? The era of dictatorship is finally back in Nigeria.
Define ridicule? Is calling a nation's president a peadophile right?
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Image123(m): 10:57pm On Dec 05, 2015
flamingREED:
OKAY. This be my first political post. In what advanced nation of the world, where people have IQ's higher than ours and are more capable of critical thinking, is such a law in force? Pray tell. In what obvious ways of late has propaganda thwarted a just cause of governance? Why exactly is the government afraid of propaganda? Okay, I know propaganda and rumours are unhealthy, but how'bout preempting an irrational move by the powers that be? Must everyone think the government is right? Will we still be able to voice-0ut our suspicions and perceived hidden motives of government actions? And what if indeed the government conceives some malicious intent, or altogether is caught red-handed with notoriety, will we still publish such against it? If the government denies the truth, can I fight her judiciary? Do you see then how that speaking the truth could be deathly under the auspices of such a law? But doubting, analysing, hypothsizing, criticisms, experimenting, confutations and press-rebutals are the inalienable rights of every people who must choose the manner/method of the government under which they live.

Exactly why we need such laws, others think critically than we do on the average, like you've said. We don't have what it takes to meet up with advanced nations, do we? i don't think the government is afraid, the bill if passed is not just for government but for every individual, for or against the government. It discourages lies, meaning the government and the citizens will both be discouraged from lying. Like they say, truth is bitter, i'm becoming convinced it is a small price to pay for truth. A nation founded in falsehood in the name of freedom is not the dream. People have fought government, big corporations and powerful people in courts and won, yes, in this country.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by TijaniAbu: 11:15pm On Dec 05, 2015
Towncrier247:
too bad! See More here>>http://www.newseveryhour.com/2015/12/a-copy-of-controversial-social-media.html

Nigerians making much ado about nothing new. The crimes of criminal libel and criminal defamation have long been entrenched in Nigeria's statute books, as separate and distinct from civil libel and civil defamation. The difference? If anybody makes a false accusation of a criminal offence, that in itself is justiciable as criminal libel or criminal defamation. Checks and balances.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by lagosrd: 6:46am On Dec 06, 2015
Image123:

Come to think of it, i think passage of the bill would encourage critical thinking. It's high time our youths stopped frivolity and propaganda, and embrace responsibility, integrity and truth.

@image123
You think so abi. I quite agree with you that there is all tendencies for youths generally to react to issues but the truth of the matter is that adults nowadays have so much to hide and that is why you see all just resurrect with billions in their accounts overnight. Now tell me why and how will a young man not want to involve in yahoo + uno I mean now so that they can live large like those who steal money. Banning is not an option they should create a unit where you can register as a blogger then read and digest the not to be violated rules and make some money to feed your family.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by dealslip(f): 6:48am On Dec 06, 2015
Flashh:
Tell me when you open your eyes so that you would be able to see things. Wailers as usual. The will always bring out lame points from their ass.

You can go home and tell your elders to shut up!

I am not like you that blames political parties for every wrong or right. I don't belong to any party and don't share those childish sentiments of yours. Deal with issues, the FOI bill shouldn't be stylishly tampered with. You are so naive and childish
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Flashh: 10:46am On Dec 06, 2015
dealslip:

I am not like you that blames political parties for every wrong or right. I don't belong to any party and don't share those childish sentiments of yours. Deal with issues, the FOI bill shouldn't be stylishly tampered with. You are so naive and childish

As usual, they can't argue without talking like a kid when they run out of idea. I can see you're tired.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Image123(m): 2:08pm On Dec 06, 2015
lagosrd:

@image123
You think so abi. I quite agree with you that there is all tendencies for youths generally to react to issues but the truth of the matter is that adults nowadays have so much to hide and that is why you see all just resurrect with billions in their accounts overnight. Now tell me why and how will a young man not want to involve in yahoo + uno I mean now so that they can live large like those who steal money. Banning is not an option they should create a unit where you can register as a blogger then read and digest the not to be violated rules and make some money to feed your family.

The bill is not about banning social media or blogging. The government even lacks the ability and infrastructure to do that. The bill is about making people accountable and responsible for what they say or share. It affects everybody including government. If you share information or break news,you should be able to prove it or refer or trace it.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by dealslip(f): 4:45pm On Dec 06, 2015
Flashh:

As usual, they can't argue without talking like a kid when they run out of idea. I can see you're tired.

God forbid I waste my energy on a jobless person like this.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by lagosrd: 5:10pm On Dec 06, 2015
Image123:

The bill is not about banning social media or blogging. The government even lacks the ability and infrastructure to do that. The bill is about making people accountable and responsible for what they say or share. It affects everybody including government. If you share information or break news,you should be able to prove it or refer or trace it.

Thanks bros I will research more and revert
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Flashh: 5:12pm On Dec 06, 2015
dealslip:

God forbid I waste my energy on a jobless person like this.
Babe, why are you down to the bottom of IQ? Only if you know me.

I am not jobless, so I can just pity you and wife you, do one of the best wedding for you, feed you without you lacking anything.

So get that!
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by dealslip(f): 5:21pm On Dec 06, 2015
Flashh:

I am not jobless, so I can just pity you and wife you, do one of the best wedding for you, feed you without you lacking anything.

So get that!

wake up and go submit you application lazy head.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by dealslip(f): 5:24pm On Dec 06, 2015
Flashh:

So get that!

wake up and go submit your application letter for 5k. lazy head forming nonsense. you and my first son are probably in the same class
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Flashh: 5:35pm On Dec 06, 2015
dealslip:

wake up and go submit your application letter for 5k. lazy head forming nonsense. you and my first son are probably in the same class
And here you quoted me twice. Later, she will say she isn't wailing. I can see the anger and frustration in you.

Don't expect me to exchange words with a female like you, Do I look like your age mate here? abeg, shift go one side jare. grin
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by dealslip(f): 5:44pm On Dec 06, 2015
Flashh:
And here you quoted me twice. Later, she will say she isn't wailing. I can see the anger and frustration in you.

Don't expect me to exchange words with a female like you, Do I look like your age mate here? abeg, shift go one side jare. grin

lol. chauvinist. i had no expectation of you other than your licking of APCs vomit. sold your conscience for 5k. i aint in your league. I aint faithful to no party like you.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Flashh: 6:01pm On Dec 06, 2015
dealslip:

lol. chauvinist. i had no expectation of you other than your licking of APCs vomit. sold your conscience for 5k. i aint in your league. I aint faithful to no party like you.
Don't force me to come hard on you, you ain't making any sense. Who's talking about 5k here? Just shove it.

BTW... Must you chat with me today? Seems your offline life is banal.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by dealslip(f): 6:05pm On Dec 06, 2015
Flashh:

Don't force me to come hard on you, you ain't making any sense. Who's talking about 5k here? Just shove it.

BTW... Must you chat with me today? Seems your offline life is banal.

LOL. CHICKEN.CRY BABY. YOU CANT UNDERSTAND SENSE. BECAUSE YOU ARE JUST A LITTLE BOY.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Flashh: 6:15pm On Dec 06, 2015
dealslip:

LOL. CHICKEN.CRY BABY. YOU CANT UNDERSTAND SENSE. BECAUSE YOU ARE JUST A LITTLE BOY.

Why capitalized your post, you must be shouting. Why?

Hope you know I'm older and sensible than you. So respect me when talking to me. wink
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by dealslip(f): 6:19pm On Dec 06, 2015
Flashh:

Why capitalized your post, you must be shouting. Why?

Hope you know I'm older and sensible than you. So respect me when talking to me. wink

oh I am so sorry, didnt mean to shout. ok my friends are here, it was nice poking you. have a great day. even though you aint older than me, i respect you
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Flashh: 6:23pm On Dec 06, 2015
dealslip:

oh I am so sorry, didnt mean to shout. ok my friends are here, it was nice poking you. have a great day. even though you aint older than me, i respect you

Now you successfully poked me on here. So what are you dropping for me?

Wait, what makes you thinks you are older than me?
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by dealslip(f): 6:27pm On Dec 06, 2015
Flashh:

Now you successfully poked me on here. So what are you leaving for me?

Wait, what makes you thinks you are older than me?

i leave you with success, happiness and every good thing in life. i am 35 be honest and state yours then we know who is older
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Flashh: 6:31pm On Dec 06, 2015
dealslip:

i am 35 be honest and state yours then we know who is older
Before I will answer you. Are you beautiful and endowed?
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by Prophet2015(m): 2:27pm On Dec 07, 2015
EXPOSED: Real Reasons Senator Bala Ibn Na’Allah Wants Social Media Shut Down
Following the calls for restriction of social media use in Nigeria by Senate and sponsored by Senator Bala Ibn Na’allah, more facts have emerged as to why such bill was sponsored.

It was gathered that Senator Bala Ibn Na’allah had been hounded by a social crusader group who have been calling for his recall from the Senate before the sponsoring of the bill.

In an apparent bid to stop his recall and in the long run, limit the flow of information regarding his past life, he sponsored the anti-social media bill.

A Northern Nigeria social crusader group, Citizens United for Peace and Stability (CUPS) organiation in London has accused Senator Bala Ibn Na’allah of being an ex-drug trafficker and is keen to gag the social media from exposing him further.

According to the group, he was arrested along with 9 others in 1993 for stealing about 270 kilograms of Heroin during the tenure of Mr. Baffa Jumare, who was the Executive Chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in 1993.

Senator Bala was an Ex-NDLEA Commandant of C port in Apapa, Lagos. He and 9 others including the Special Assistant to the Chairman, stole the drugs at the headquarters of the NDLEA command, which was located at No. 2, Roxtone Road, Ikoyi, Lagos.

They were detained and kept at Police CID Headquarters, Alagbon Close, Ikoyi, Lagos. The case against Na’Allah and the others is still pending and has never been tried in a court of law due to corruption at the NDLEA.

To further worsen his situation, an unnamed very senior NDLEA official wrote CUPS and here is the message below

“I have read your post on Bala Ibn Na’Allah and his empty threats about your commitment to salvage Nigeria from corrupt public officials like Ibn Na’Allah.

As a lawyer, Bala should have known that the law has made provisions for defences to be adduced in court to persons standing trial for defamation of character. Actions of defamation cannot succeed in a court if it can be established that the statement made is factual and one of overriding public interest. On the first defence, presently in Nigeria the Freedom of Information Act has been passed into law. What this means is that the publisher can write to NDLEA, the former employer of the Senator to request for confirmation of the allegation against Na’Allah.

Secondly, it is a matter of overriding public interest for every Nigerian to expose corrupt and dishonest public officials.

The fact of the case against Ibn Na’Allah was that in 1993 one Joe Brown Akabueze who imported a large quantity of Heroin weighing 270 Kg into Nigeria through the Apapa Sea Port was apprehended by men of the NDLEA. The Senator was then the Area Commander of NDLEA Apapa Sea Port. Himself along with the then Special Assistant to the CCE NDLEA (Mr. Jerry Kundusi, a one time member of Adamawa House of Assembly, representing Numan Constituency) and others carted away with 12 parcels of the heroin seized from Joe Brown during the reign of AIG Bappa Jama’are, as CCE NDLEA.

The plot was actualised when the AIG was on an official trip to Egypt when Bala and his gang broke into the office and stole the 12 parcels weighing over12 Kg. This led to the removal of Jama’are as CCE NDLEA. He was a very honest man.

The then military regime inaugurated a committee headed by late General MM Bamaiyi with the mandate of investigating the case of the missing parcels. The evidence against Bala and others were overwhelming that the committee recommended their prosecution before the Miscellaneous Offences Tribunal. The gang was detained at the CID division at Alagbon before they were remanded in prison custody pending trial. They were then prosecuted.

The present CCE of NDLEA Ahmadu Giade was a member of the Bamaiyi Committee and will be glad to cooperate with you. I cannot say with accuracy how Bala and his gang got off the hook but will agree with you that they got their freedom through corruption. Thanks.”

According to CUPS, Senator Bala would be recalled from the Senate and to achieve that, they gave began the collection of signatures from his constituents.

In a press statement, the chairman of the group, Dr.Idris Ahmed, released the major steps to be taken.

For the avoidance of doubt, the process of recalling Senator BalaIbnNa’Allah from the Senate is well organised, structured, and transparent. The major steps involved are outlined below:

1. Community leaders at grass-roots level in Yauri and Zuru Senatorial District are sending an initial petition letter to Senator BalaIbnNa’Allah, in which all the allegations of wrongdoing labeled against him are detailed. This letter is copied to the INEC Chairman. Senator Bala is given two weeks to respond.

2. An independent committee made of distinguished scholars and lawyers on constitutional matters, ex-law enforcement agents, human rights activists and ex-politician is drafted from all parts of Nigeria to look into the allegations labeled against BalaIbnNa’Allah. The committee will guarantee that he is not witch-hunted by anyone.

3. Petition signatures are collected from at least 51% of the electorate who voted for BalaIbnNa’Allah during the last general election. Already 30,000 signatures have been collected. These signatures must be verifiable by INEC.

4. Within 90 days of collecting and verifying these signatures, INEC is obliged by law to organise a vote in Yauri and ZuruSenetorial District for the electorate to decide whether to recall BalaIbnNa’Allah from the Senate or not.

5. A simple majority of whatever number of people that turned up and voted against him during the recall voting is enough to seal the recall of BalaIbnNa’allah from the Senate.

Senator Bala has also been accused for going on rampage in his Kebbi South Senatorial District, harassing, intimidating, and unlawfully arresting activists collecting signatures for his recall.
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by kingkpono: 7:55pm On Dec 09, 2015
You need not fear if you know you will not publish false info abt anyone. Let's give this government 4 years.We need to moderate our social media space
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by kingkpono: 7:55pm On Dec 09, 2015
You need not fear if you know you will not publish false info abt anyone. Let's give this government 4 years.We need to moderate our social media space embarassed
Re: A Copy Of The Controversial Social Media Bill (photo) by babafunny(m): 2:13pm On Jan 08, 2016
Reddit Nsfw is a social media and news network of communities. A comment pattern Reddit Nsfw "Not Safe For Work" is used to... my favorite news website... for more details, follow the link below..
http://www.techvaid.com/reddit-nsfw-reddit-league-of-legends-reddit-wtf-reddit-com/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photo Of Alleged PDP Dollars; PDP Dismisses Allegation / How Many Of You Still Remember Our Beautiful And Wonderful Coin / Funny Video Showing Instances Where Animals Have Made Headlines In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.