Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,281 members, 7,829,629 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Nuhu Ribadu:Why Investigating $1.5bn Halliburton Bribery Scandal Was Frustrating - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nuhu Ribadu:Why Investigating $1.5bn Halliburton Bribery Scandal Was Frustrating (435 Views)

Director Ojo In Saraki's Range Rover Scandal Was Promoted Above His Seniors - SR / Nuhu Ribadu, Hamid Ali Tipped To Replace Magu At EFCC / Nuhu Ribadu's Daughter, Fatima Graduates From NTIC (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Nuhu Ribadu:Why Investigating $1.5bn Halliburton Bribery Scandal Was Frustrating by JumiR: 6:41am On Dec 07, 2015
Former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission( EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu has for the first time expressed frustration with the inability of Nigeria to investigate and punish all who were implicated in the Halliburton bribery case during his tenure as boss of the anti-graft agency. Speaking in Abuja on Sunday, Ribadu said none of the top Nigerian culprits implicated in the $1.5 billion bribery scandal had been questioned and jailed in Nigeria while others from other countries were already serving various jail terms.

According to Ribadu, of the amount involved, top Nigerians got a total of $184 million within 10 years from an Italian firm that got a $6 billion gas project job in Nigeria. The case cost Halliburton $1.5 billion in fines in the United States. In his words, Ribadu said: “I first got hint of the case in France. I got back home and tried to investigate the case but it was very difficult or probably impossible because the companies were not here in Nigeria, they didn’t have account there, the people were not there. They had left.

“I rushed back to Paris. I was in Paris many times. I put in a request letter but after a year of trying to get French authorities to help us, the investigating magistrate told me that they could not get anyone to translate my letter from English to French. I knew it was a hopeless case.” Ribadu added that after failing to get Italy and Japan to help, he opted to go to the United States even though Dick Cheney, the then US vice president, was on the board of Halliburton.

Ribadu further said: “The Department of Justice in the United States took up the case. They investigated and prosecuted the case. They placed a fine of over $1.5 billion on the company, the biggest in the world for corporate corruption. But the sad aspect is this, in my own country, where the criminal activity took place, not a single person was made to face justice, especially after I was asked to leave my position. Sadly, Nigeria did not make a dollar out of it."

http://dawntodusknews.com/ex-efcc-boss-nuhu-ribadu-why-investigating-1-5bn-halliburton-bribery-scandal-was-frustrating/
Re: Nuhu Ribadu:Why Investigating $1.5bn Halliburton Bribery Scandal Was Frustrating by Mynd44: 7:01am On Dec 07, 2015

(1)

FG Proposes N6tn Budget For 2016, Pegs Oil Benchmark At $38 / What The Heck Is Sen. Ahmad Lawan Talking About!!??? / My Objection With The 2016 Budget And What Should Be Done Insteadby Emekamex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.