Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,473 members, 7,812,464 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:49 PM

The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting (13267 Views)

Unemployment - Why A Fool Is Always Successful In Job Hunting Than A Wise Man / My Experience Job Hunting At Linda Ikeji Media / YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 07, 2015
Job hunting in it’s simple terms, means searching for a job placement or an employment offer, at most where there is a vacancy that needs to be filled. It is often of notion that preferential treatments are accorded to candidates instead of considering those that have the required skill-set or qualification that best fits in.

Here is what our correspondent, Uwakwe Martin Mundus have to say:

It is often said, “It’s not what you know, but WHO you know.” This maxim is not completely true – skills and knowledge are also critical for job success, but there is a ring of truth to it. Most positions are filled through referrals from employees’ networks.

Sometime last month, Anakle was in need of a someone to fill in a role in the content/strategy team. The vacancy was advertised on Twitter and a couple of candidates sent in applications to be considered.

I knew someone who would perfectly fit into the team, a very good friend in school. We’ve worked on a couple of projects together back in school and I had no doubt he will do very well.

I placed a call across to him and briefed him on what was on board. He sent in his CV and was invited for an interview. The day he came for the second interview he was hired and he started work that same day.

Today, I look back at how the friendship started and I remember the roles he played when I was the president of my department. All the paid ‘stuffs’ he did for me that ended in just ‘thank you’ and more than ever, I am convinced that what matters most in life is ‘friendship’, relationships, networks. I am more convinced that one’s network is way bigger than one’s pocket and I have resolved to take my relationship with people more serious because I will definitely be needing them in life.

Kindly ponder this question. How many persons (from your school) do you think will be able to recommend you for a position/contract five years from now? Think about it and fix your network and build some trust.

Shoutout to all the amazing friends I have made in school.

Compliment from Tim Chukwunwogor.

Same applies to me, when I was seeking for an IT placement in a food company. I applied to several companies, an application which never saw the light of the day. I ended up applying to Zubee International, but the Manager on the orders of the Boss couldn’t accept me.

Later on in church, My dad was discussing with someone about my predicament, an elder whom he later found out knew the boss. He was from the same Village as the CEO of the company.

He later traveled from Asaba to Ogidi to meet the boss. Subsequently, I was recruited and my salary for that month paid in full.

My Advise is for everyone one to maintain strong and healthy personal relationships with people. Attend conferences and Network!!!

Finally, leverage your Network to project your Skills.
http://starttells.com/2015/11/27/the-advantage-of-having-a-strong-personal-network-when-job-hunting/

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by Nobody: 4:02pm On Dec 07, 2015
Thanks for Front paging the content. Always endeavor to visit www.starttells.com for more if these creative content.
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by OZAOEKPE(f): 5:40pm On Dec 07, 2015
I WANT TO USE THIS MEDIUM TO TELL ALL THE JOB SEEKERS OUT THERE THAT NEXT YEAR IS GOING TO BE TOUGH, THE ECONOMY IS IN RECESSION AND THERE IS NOTHING PMB CAN DO. THE PRICE OF OIL CAN NEVER RISE TO $50 AGAIN. THE ECONOMY IS IN SHAMBLES AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYBODY CAN DO, EVEN THE LIKES OF FRED MILTON AND JOHN KEYNES CANT REVIVE THIS DEAD ECONOMY. 

BEFORE YOU BLAST ME, GOOGLE THE MEANING OF RECESSION AND COMPARE IT TO WHAT WE ARE EXPERIENCING NOW. ITS FAR WORSE THAN THE GREAT DEPRESSION OF 1930'S.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by sukkot: 5:40pm On Dec 07, 2015
hmmmm
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by djWALE(m): 5:41pm On Dec 07, 2015
cry..abeg who get iphone6 charger?
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by bunmioguns(m): 5:41pm On Dec 07, 2015
cool

7 Likes

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by allanphash7(m): 5:41pm On Dec 07, 2015
I dont understand

1 Like

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by Masculity(m): 5:41pm On Dec 07, 2015
OP, one cool bottle of.... For you.
You are one in, let me say, a miliion.

Some friends nowadays. My fellow nairalanders i need job. Follow OP's foot step, biko.
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by Isryl02(m): 5:41pm On Dec 07, 2015
Strong network

Which one person go use now, MTN abi GLO

sad

1 Like

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by 2poundz(m): 5:42pm On Dec 07, 2015
Nice cheesy
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by uche988(m): 5:42pm On Dec 07, 2015
okay
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 07, 2015
keeping a good relationship is key.. This is what i tell my coursemates now that all the expo they are carrying wont make some of us want to recommend them in the future...and some people are not even trustworthy..anytime we ar given a group project,i know of some coursemate of mine who wont contribute their quota to d group..they just leav it for d workaholics to do it for them.. now tell me if i would recommend them in the future?..

Btw,listen to my songs @ http://my.notjustok.com/p/oracle/

5 Likes

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by DonaldGenes(m): 5:43pm On Dec 07, 2015
Op? Let me add to what you just said, those who are on Twitter should follow @Gidi_Traffic some careless and random jobs are usually retweeted from Monday to Friday. Mostly for Lagos and Abuja Residents..iDo also help RT them also. LinkedIn also is another rea where HR usually post jobs codedly.
You can drop your Twitter account or follow me @Tripdarlinq there's no job tweeted at Gidi_traffic iDon't get to see or Retweet for my followers.

3 Likes

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by groovie(m): 5:56pm On Dec 07, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
I WANT TO USE THIS MEDIUM TO TELL ALL THE JOB SEEKERS OUT THERE THAT NEXT YEAR IS GOING TO BE TOUGH, THE ECONOMY IS IN RECESSION AND THERE IS NOTHING PMB CAN DO. THE PRICE OF OIL CAN NEVER RISE TO $50 AGAIN. THE ECONOMY IS IN SHAMBLES AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYBODY CAN DO, EVEN THE LIKES OF FRED MILTON AND JOHN KEYNES CANT REVIVE THIS DEAD ECONOMY. 

BEFORE YOU BLAST ME, GOOGLE THE MEANING OF RECESSION AND COMPARE IT TO WHAT WE ARE EXPERIENCING NOW. ITS FAR WORSE THAN THE GREAT DEPRESSION OF 1930'S.

Negative. Oil prices will rise above $50. Will maybe peak 60-$65 but never $100.
Thing is NIGERIA MUST STOP DEPENDING ON OIL FOR FOREIGN EXCHANGE. Because science is investing heavily on cheaper energy and in the next 5yrs they will perfect this.
Our economy can be better. We have the human resources. We just need more skilled resources and a change of mind set

6 Likes

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by Gerrard59(m): 5:58pm On Dec 07, 2015
Exactly. Your Network is your Networth. That's why it's advisable to mingle with the right set of people, help when and if you can. A little thank you can go places.

Don't also forget hardwork, you wouldn't expect a friend to recommend someone with an A. Degree in shiftlessness.

1 Like

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by OZAOEKPE(f): 5:59pm On Dec 07, 2015
groovie:

Negative. Oil prices will rise above $50. Will maybe peak 60-$65 but never $100.
Thing is NIGERIA MUST STOP DEPENDING ON OIL FOR FOREIGN EXCHANGE. Because science is investing heavily on cheaper energy and in the next 5yrs they will perfect this.
Our economy can be better. We have the human resources. We just need more skilled resources and a change of mind set
WISHFUL THINKING, LEARN TO BE REALISTIC.....

1 Like

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by Gerrard59(m): 6:01pm On Dec 07, 2015
groovie:

Same thing I was telling a friend, we better go the way of Switzerland, Singapore, Japan etc example of how a country can advance economically without depending on Crude-Oil.

We seriously need to invest in STEM related fields, if not our own case would be precarious than that of Greece.

1 Like

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by groovie(m): 6:04pm On Dec 07, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

Here is no wishful thinking. This is prediction from top oil market analysts. Also that is reality, except any other factor apart from the one used to make such predictions come into play and change the game.

Then again ill tell u Russia's economy was far worse than this at the collapse of the soviet union. These guys reached inwards and made the country what it is today. We have lots of resources that have not been tapped.

2 Likes

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 07, 2015
Simple things that make sense!
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by Nobody: 6:09pm On Dec 07, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

And what solutions are you proffering , or betterstill an alternative for survival. Abi you be harbinger of negativity?

2 Likes

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by Nobody: 6:33pm On Dec 07, 2015
Isryl02:
Strong network

sad
by exchanging contact numbers, business cards etc

1 Like

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by JayTeeA(f): 6:42pm On Dec 07, 2015
entrepreneurship all the way..

Simple question.. if you had 1million naira today what will you do with it?.. if your answer sounds anything like buy a car or marry another wife then you're not ready for the future!.
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by dualsurvey: 6:46pm On Dec 07, 2015
Isryl02:
Strong network
sad
lol! Bad guy
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by Bless4me: 6:56pm On Dec 07, 2015
Okay
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by lawak: 7:30pm On Dec 07, 2015
HarkymTheOracle:
keeping a good relationship is key.. This is what i tell my coursemates now that all the expo they are carrying wont make some of us want to recommend them in the future...and some people are not even trustworthy..anytime we ar given a group project,i know of some coursemate of mine who wont contribute their quota to d group..they just leav it for d workaholics to do it for them.. now tell me if i would recommend them in the future?..

Btw,listen to my songs @ http://my.notjustok.com/p/oracle/

my dear, you need to also thread carefully; have you asked your self if those coursemates you think are lazy today will recommend you if the table turns. Life is a funny game and i have been around for a while. Some of my own coursemates whom were tagged O-O (our slogan for time wasters and lazy students back then) are strong forces in various fields today. if you don't change your mindset about them and stop looking at them like monkies, they too might start looking at you like banana and at the end, it becomes a win-lose game instead of win-win. All the best in your studies

8 Likes

Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by D34lw4p(m): 7:36pm On Dec 07, 2015
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 07, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

some of the best minds have risen from the harsh dusts of a recession. Adapt or Die
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by Rexyl(m): 7:54pm On Dec 07, 2015
We are learning, hope it won't be too late before we stand upright and face the reality. Our leaders are by one side counting on all available excuses to amass wealth while they leave the masses in complaint to justify poverty.
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 07, 2015
With divine favor networking can take ME places.
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by tochiofficial(m): 8:09pm On Dec 07, 2015
I hardly post comments here but this write up really moved me. thumbs up!!!
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by donem: 8:15pm On Dec 07, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

Ozaoekpe Nairalands prophet of doom have spoken, those who have ears should hid the warning and put in place palliative measures.
Re: The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting by chimah3(m): 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2015
Hmmm

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sabmiller Plc Latest Job Recruitment (10 Positions) / Is This Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) Screening Invitation Genuine Or Fake / Those That Missed The Npower Verification Exercise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.