Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech (578 Views)

Sheriff Dissociates Self From Congratulatory Message To Makarfi / Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. / Buhari Dissociates Himself From Campaign Promises (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech by dotcomnamename: 6:06pm On Dec 07, 2015
The Nigerian Presidency has issued the statement below, quoting President Muhammadu Buhari as dissociating himself as his administration from the media muzzle law being cooked by the Nigerian Senate.

SOCIAL MEDIA BILL: BUHARI RESTATES COMMITMENT TO FREE SPEECH.

President Muhammadu Buhari has reiterated the commitment of his administration to the protection of free speech in keeping with democratic tradition.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu who was reacting to the public hostility towards the social media bill now being debated by the Senate, said President Buhari has sworn to defend the constitution of Nigeria and would not lend his hand to anything that is inconsistent with the constitution.

“But he is not averse to lawful regulation, so long as that is done within the ambit of the constitution which he swore to uphold.”

“The President said free speech is central to democratic societies anywhere in the world. The President explained that without free speech, elected representatives won’t be able to gauge public feelings and moods about governance issues.

“As a key component of democratic principles,” the President acknowledged that people in democratic societies “are so emotionally attached to free speech that they would defend it with all their might.”

“Malam Garba Shehu explained that President Buhari is fully aware of the public reservations about the proposed legislation but assured that there is no cause for alarm “because the Senate is a democratic senate. The President won’t assent to any legislation that may be inconsistent with the constitution of Nigeria.”

Source: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/194780-buhari-dissociates-self-from-media-muzzle-law-says-im-committed-to-free-speech.html
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech by Firefire(m): 6:06pm On Dec 07, 2015
Wonderful!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech by Blakjewelry(m): 6:07pm On Dec 07, 2015
Good one, but I think there should be some measure of restrictions because I saw what most of these online media nearly cause during the election period
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech by EdCure: 6:07pm On Dec 07, 2015
Then he shouldn't sign it to law. Just thrash it.

Reprobates sinators want to limit our God-given freedom. They will fail!

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech by mrnuur(m): 6:08pm On Dec 07, 2015
Only the corrupt will support that
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech by Thunderlicious: 6:09pm On Dec 07, 2015
Just as the poster above me has freedom of speech to say whatever he likes.
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech by dustmalik: 6:09pm On Dec 07, 2015
He shouldn't sign it
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech by Elslim: 6:10pm On Dec 07, 2015
sai baba
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech by wachakuta(m): 6:11pm On Dec 07, 2015
Dino Mi liara Oyah Benddow benddown Pause!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech by ichoku: 6:14pm On Dec 07, 2015
He is learning the democratic rope but the rate of conversion is too slow.
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech by kilokeys(m): 6:14pm On Dec 07, 2015
I for go jail o...
Cos i can't stopping yabbing his open teeth..

I am sorry cry I can't help it
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech by viktagorion: 6:14pm On Dec 07, 2015
Freedom of speech is a constitutionally guaranteed right that must be unfettered.

This government has the duty to uphold and defend the citizens right to express themselves freely.

Dino Melaiye Na'Allah etal should be well guided.

God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech by phlemzy: 6:22pm On Dec 07, 2015
Its a bulk of those bribe seeking thieves in the legislative arm that are really against freedom of Information.
Re: Buhari Dissociates Self From Media Bill, Says, I Am Committed To Free Speech by Mynd44: 6:23pm On Dec 07, 2015

(1)

Power Supply Expecte To Rise By 2,000mw In Months- Fashola / Okonjo-iweala: Dasuki Got $322m Abacha Loot From Me / Recovered Stolen Fund!!! Why We Must Support President BUHARI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.