Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,008 members, 7,956,741 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:55 PM

Dont Kill Yoruba Words - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Dont Kill Yoruba Words (6742 Views)

Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) / Yoruba Words And Their Sources / Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dont Kill Yoruba Words by thunder74(m): 7:11am On Dec 08, 2015
I have read many comments on Nairaland and surprisingly, some Yoruba people are making the same mistakes and the reason for this short corrections before we unconsciously re colonised our languages.
Have seen people spelt "ponmo" as kponmo, "were" as Kwere or werey, pele as kpele etc.

Please take note that two consonants are never together in Yoruba writings. There is nothing like 'kp' or 'pk' or any of such in Yoruba alphabet or vowels. The only exception is 'gb' which is a single consonant.

I am not a Yoruba professor nor an expert in Yoruba language, I was only trying to remember what I was thought by my teachers in primary and secondary schools.

When next you put two consonants together while writing a Yoruba words except 'gb', remember you are wrong.

A B D E E F G GB H I J K L M N O O P R S S T U W Y

The vowels are:
a e e i o o u

1 Like

Re: Dont Kill Yoruba Words by Mjshexy(f): 7:26am On Dec 08, 2015
Thanks sir, some of us were not really brought up in Yoruba Language even though we are one, but just trying to learn...

2 Likes

Re: Dont Kill Yoruba Words by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 08, 2015
Nice.

I uses to think Pele is kpele. Now I know better.

Odua republic or death

2 Likes

Re: Dont Kill Yoruba Words by Segunj8(m): 7:48am On Dec 08, 2015
God bless you OP.
Some wrongly spelt yoruba words dat I have also noticed include -
Not Oshey - It is Ose,
Not Jor - but Jowo or joo,
Olohun - Olorun,
Asho - Aso.

1 Like

Re: Dont Kill Yoruba Words by scholes0(m): 3:54am On Dec 09, 2015
I personally prefer Kpomo to Pomo
How can you spell the "Gb" sound correctly , then spell the Kp sund as just "p" ?

'Kp' exists in the Yoruba alphabets, not sure why it was removed, cause it makes no sense.
Ppepeye' used to be 'Kpekpeye', and 'Pako' used to be 'Kpako'.

If a non-yoruba sees something spelled wrongly he/she would pronounce it wrongly as well.

1 Like

Re: Dont Kill Yoruba Words by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 09, 2015
scholes0:
I personally prefer Kmomo to Pomo
How can you spell the "Gb" sound correctly , then spell the Kp sund as just "p" ?

'Kp' exists in the Yoruba alphabets, not sure why it was removed, cause it makes no sense.

If a non-yoruba sees something spelled wrongly he/she would pronounce it wrongly as well.

It wasn't spelled wrongly, its just what it is, just as it is in English language for instance, will you write "read" (past tense) as "red" just because some people might feel its wrong? Bros no fall my hand o.

All that nonsense of jor or werey or kpele must stop from Yoruba sons and daughters.

3 Likes

Re: Dont Kill Yoruba Words by Segunj8(m): 10:42pm On Dec 09, 2015
scholes0:

Oga don't come and teach ppl d wrong thing here. Dia was never a time when Yoruba alphabet had Kp. D 1 dat existed b4 was SH, such as in word like Oshogbo, Oshun, but it was later reviewed To just S and dat y we now have Osun, instead of the former. No matter the 1 u prefer, wat is wrong is wrong.

1 Like

Re: Dont Kill Yoruba Words by tpiar: 10:43pm On Dec 09, 2015
scholes0:

not everything is meant for argument.

you are being corrected: learn.

1 Like

Re: Dont Kill Yoruba Words by Nobody: 10:56pm On Dec 09, 2015
Segunj8:

Oga don't come and teach ppl d wrong thing here. Dia was never a time when Yoruba alphabet had Kp. D 1 dat existed b4 was SH, such as in word like Oshogbo, Oshun, but it was later reviewed To just S and dat y we now have Osun, instead of the former. No matter the 1 u prefer, wat is wrong is wrong.

Does this mean that Yoruba language does not have an /s/ sound, like in 'sole', 'settle' and 'see'? If it does, how does a reader know when an 's' is supposed to be an /s/ sound as in 'sole', etc, and when it is supposed to be a /sh/ sound as in 'shoe', 'shovel', etc. Won't using the same letter for both sounds lead to confusion?
Re: Dont Kill Yoruba Words by Segunj8(m): 11:52pm On Dec 09, 2015
Radoillo:

Does this mean that Yoruba language does not have an /s/ sound, like in 'sole', 'settle' and 'see'? If it does, how does a reader know when an 's' is supposed to be an /s/ sound as in 'sole', etc, and when it is supposed to be a /sh/ sound as in 'shoe', 'shovel', etc. Won't using the same letter for both sounds lead to confusion?
I actually forgot to add dat in my previous post. In Yoruba alphabet dia re two letter S. The 1st one written simply as S is d 1 pronounced as d /s/ as in 'osi- left', and d oda which is an S with a dot under it (check the alphabets) is pronounced as /sh/. That is why d S in Osin is written with a dot under d S. The same thing is applicable to the letter E in Yoruba language. (Dot and Marks (ami ohun) are very important in Yoruba)
Re: Dont Kill Yoruba Words by babyfaceafrica: 9:53am On Dec 10, 2015
Lolz...its all the indomie yoruba generation kids

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites / The People Of Alago / Richest And Prominent Tribes In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.