Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,209 members, 7,953,775 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:42 AM

Anambra's Igbo Language Bill - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra's Igbo Language Bill (10263 Views)

Seriously, The Name "Buhari" Means Postponement In Igbo Language. Pictures. / Imo Makes Possession Of Igbo Language Compulsory For Admission Into University / Igbo Language Might Become Extinct In The Next 50 Years - Unesco (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by oderemo(m): 11:40pm On Jun 01, 2009
The bill also seeks to impose a penalty of between N5, 000 and N100, 000 on JSS III students who fail the subject in the qualifying examination for admission into the senior school classes.

this bill is heading straight to the trash can

Assuming the attire hurdle is surmountable, is there the basic infrastructure to enable compliance? If not, what plans are in place to achieve this infrastructure in the foreseeable future?

when others are planning on permanently staying on the moon? waste of scarce resources i say.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by bawomolo(m): 11:46pm On Jun 01, 2009
OluToye:

So you opted to learn english and not french and not portugese. You had a choice right? Lol, sure

umm you can learn french and Portuguese if you have the money. so yeah i do have a choice.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by udezue(m): 11:52pm On Jun 01, 2009
Bawo,

No u didn't have a choice. U learned English coz it was compulsary if not u won't be able to communicate on NL speaking Yoruba or whatever to us.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by Nobody: 12:05am On Jun 02, 2009
grafikdon:

I was reading and writing Igbo at the age of 8. I remember my mother made us write letters to our father in Igbo and he'd reply in the same language. That was why I never lost sleep over Igbo in high school. I always walked into the exam hall and collected my "A", no stress, no preparation, no TDB studies  grin

It's your type I sit with during exams. cheesy

I don't think non-Igbos should be exempted. In my secondary school, a language course was compulsory but the student had the choice to choose whatever he/she wanted to do. Sometimes it depends on the availability of a particular language teacher. Some schools do not have the benefit of different language teachers, so the student just has to go with who is available.

Uche2nna:

Exactly!!!!

I took three years of French and came out with just " Oui"

Lol, that's the problem. They don't teach for you to learn the language. So what's the essence of this bill?
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by udezue(m): 12:12am On Jun 02, 2009
Non Igbos should not be exempt unless there are other languages available for them to choose. If to graduate you need more than English language class to graduate to graduate and Igbo is the only when they take Igbo. In some places like Benin my friend said he had a choice to choose Yoruba or Igbo when he was in school.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by sosisi(f): 1:49am On Jun 02, 2009
bawomolo:

learning a language should be optional and not mandatory.

Tell that to the middle and High schoolers across the USA and you'll get a permanent supply of boys and girls flipping burgers since it's required for college.
Is it because it's a Nigerian language?
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by savanaha: 3:03am On Jun 02, 2009
Even people living in America are paying to learn Igbo so why should Igbo children in Nigeria not learn their own language. Places like the Ohio State University offers Igbo classes. Spanish children in America speak both English and Spanish, so why are children in their own country placing English at a higher rank than their own language?
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by sosisi(f): 3:04am On Jun 02, 2009
savanaha:

Even people living in America are paying to learn Igbo so why should Igbo children in Nigeria not learn their own language. Places like the Ohio State University offers Igbo classes. Spanish children in America speak both English and Spanish, so why are children in their own country placing English at a higher rank than their own language?

It's called stupidity
they want to be more oyibo than oyibo people
No Igbo child in Igboland should be allowed to get into secondary school without passing Igbo in primary school
That should be a law in all Igbo states.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by biina: 3:22am On Jun 02, 2009
I think that schools at primary and secondary level should teach at least 2 Nigerian languages, with one being indigenous to the state.

Also there should be relevant curriculum to teach the history, cultures and tradition of the various parts of the countries i.e a  renovated version of the social studies of old. A lot of Nigerians know little to nothing about people from other parts of the country, and this makes it more difficult to cooperate towards a common goal. If you do not know where one is coming from, it is difficult to appreciate where he is headed.

The misunderstanding is evident even on NL, where most discussions easily degenerate to tribal tantrums.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by savanaha: 3:32am On Jun 02, 2009
biina:

I think that schools at primary and secondary level should teach at least 2 Nigerian languages, with one being indigenous to the state.

Also there should be relevant curriculum to teach the history, cultures and tradition of the various parts of the countries i.e a  renovated version of the social studies of old. A lot of Nigerians know little to nothing about people from other parts of the country, and this makes it more difficult to cooperate towards a common goal. If you do not know where one is coming from, it is difficult to appreciate where he is headed.

The misunderstanding is evident even on NL, where most discussions easily degenerate to tribal tantrums.

Exactly
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by Dede1(m): 3:59am On Jun 02, 2009
@texazzpete

I had wanted you to continue your Igbo bashing in a peaked form rather than the slight jab about Igbo Language being a non-national language. Please may the final arbiter on national language of the jungle called Nigeria furnish the forum with the national languages?

It amazes me the extent the blind dislike for group of people drives certain individual to the apogee of defamatory idiosyncrasy.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by tamme: 4:36am On Jun 02, 2009
this dede1 is just an idiot undecided
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by grafikdon: 4:40am On Jun 02, 2009
Another inmate of Prophetess Helen's school of nut jobs.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by NINETOFIVE(m): 5:33am On Jun 02, 2009
when others are planning on permanently staying on the moon? waste of scarce resources i say.

I will give you 15 naira if the current system in place takes you to the orbit.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by savanaha: 5:35am On Jun 02, 2009
NINETOFIVE:

I will give you 15 naira if the current system in place takes you to the orbit.

Hahahaha!!!!!
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by ChinenyeN(m): 6:26am On Jun 02, 2009
The bill is okay, except for that fine. I feel that the fine has to go. Other than that, my only issue is with the possibility of Standard Igbo forcing regional styles of speech into extinction. I'd seriously hate for me, or my children, or my grandchildren, etc. etc. to have to let go of our own regional style of speech, just because "Igbo" is being taught in schools. But wait, before they even being to push through with this, I'd like to know, has a suitable, and acceptable Standard Igbo dialect even been developed, yet?

Also, I'm with Grafikdon in that I believe that children need to start at home to speak Igbo. That's where the real issue is. But. . I guess, maybe making Standard Igbo mandatory in schools, and parents seeing their child come home speaking something other than the family's dialect, would be a wake up call to some. . .
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by oloyeagba1: 6:57am On Jun 02, 2009
Good move. But get rid of the fine and the Igbo attire parts.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by AloyEmeka9: 7:40am On Jun 02, 2009
It amazes me the extent the blind dislike for group of people drives certain individual to the apogee of defamatory idiosyncrasy.
Dede1, break down this vocabulary please. It sounds like tpiah's english. No be all of us "know" book. grin grin grin
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by AloyEmeka9: 7:48am On Jun 02, 2009
I don't think non-Igbos should be exempted. In my secondary school, a language course was compulsory but the student had the choice to choose whatever he/she wanted to do. Sometimes it depends on the availability of a particular language teacher. Some schools do not have the benefit of different language teachers, so the student just has to go with who is available.
True; Few non igbos in my sec school then took either hausa or yoruba but they were self tutored and only God knows how well they performed in SSCE. WAEC usually have special centers for those people per region or whatever.

Funny enough, I remember an Indian girl beat all of us in igbo in elementary 4 over and over again to the point that our teacher used her to yab us. I couldn't figure out why that girl was better in written igbo but now I've realized that she was doing well because she was disadvantaged and that made her to study the language at home quite unlike many of us that rarely study igbo language at home. What for? when we can speak it fluently.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by KnowAll(m): 1:32pm On Jun 02, 2009
North, most backward –Aliero

Looks like Anambra are in a competition with the north to see who can bee more backwards us or them. By adopting Igbo as the language of commerce u are only going to breed a generation of illetrate english speakers. When the whole world is learning how to speak english even spanish and french are dicting their own languages to learn english, Anambra is turning the clock back learning a language that is only spoken in small enclave in Nigeria. It would have done Anambra more good if they made Mandarin the language of choice in anambra state going by the volume of business transcation between Anambra state and china. undecided
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by asha80(m): 1:37pm On Jun 02, 2009
KnowAll:

Looks like Anambra are in a competition with the north to see who can bee more backwards us or them. By adopting Igbo as the language of commerce u are only going to breed a generation of illetrate english speakers. When the whole world is learning how to speak english even spanish and french are dicting their own languages to learn english, Anambra is turning the clock back learning a language that is only spoken in small enclave in Nigeria. It would have done Anambra more good if they made Mandarin the language of choice in anambra state going by the volume of business transcation between Anambra state and china. undecided
[/quot

If u have nothing to say go back better to ur yoruba are the best black ethnic group.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by grafikdon: 2:19pm On Jun 02, 2009
KnowAll:

The problem with delirious irredeemable inconsequential simpletons and excessively myopic ethnic antagonists is that they always have their sense of reasoning on ''sleep mode'', worse still; they cling tenaciously to their laughable infantile drivel and carry themselves with an air of importance that is merely conjured by their diseased imagination.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by KnowAll(m): 2:27pm On Jun 02, 2009
"The problem with delirious irredeemable inconsequential simpletons and excessively myopic ethnic antagonists is that they always have their sense of reasoning on ''sleep mode'', worse still; they cling tenaciously to their laughable infantile drivel and carry themselves with an air of importance that is merely conjured by their diseased imagination."

You should have written that in igbo and let us see who would response to u, at least we are communicating and that is the first sign of progress.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by ChinenyeN(m): 2:31pm On Jun 02, 2009
KnowAll:

Hmm. . I think you missed the point and function of the bill.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by asha80(m): 2:35pm On Jun 02, 2009
KnowAll:

"The problem with delirious irredeemable inconsequential simpletons and excessively myopic ethnic antagonists is that they always have their sense of reasoning on ''sleep mode'', worse still; they cling tenaciously to their laughable infantile drivel and carry themselves with an air of importance that is merely conjured by their diseased imagination."

You should have written that in igbo and let us see who would response to u, at least we are communicating and that is the first sign of progress.

I can see you are a literate english speaker.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by KnowAll(m): 2:42pm On Jun 02, 2009
I can see you are a literate english speaker.

I am not perfect, u can imagine making yoruba the alpha and omega language in the SW. I would not be able to put 2 words together english.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by junijustin: 4:08pm On Jun 02, 2009
KnowAll:

Looks like Anambra are in a competition with the north to see who can bee more backwards us or them. By adopting Igbo as the language of commerce u are only going to breed a generation of ililliteratenEnglishpeakers. When the whole world is learning how to speak english even spanish and french are dicting their own languages to learn english, Anambra is turning the clock back learning a language that is only spoken in small enclave in Nigeria. It would have done Anambra more good if they made Mandarin the language of choice in anambra state going by the volume of business transcation between Anambra state and china. undecided

No body said they are adopting Igbo as the language of commerce. They are only doing what they can to preserve their language which is part of the cultural heritage. Yes, the countries you mentioned are learning to speak english for economic competitiveness but none of them would do so at the expense of their language.

What would you say about the Welsh language policy in Wales, UK? Like Igbo in the South eastern Nigeria, welsh is not spoken anywhere else but in Wales.

And what makes literacy or backwardness an 'English' thing? There are chinese professors who do not know how to speak or write English. basic literacy is the ability to read and write. If an old woman in the village knows how to speak and write at least in Igbo, and you make every communication available to her in Igbo (like newspapers, magazine, announcements, media campaigns, lectures etc), no body can say that she does not have basic literacy.

English is an important language in the world. Everyone around the world is learning it. Non English Countries that want to attract International students provide tuition in English. It is a global village and no one is an island. That is what makes English important. But I'm yet to see a language group that will not do anything to preserve their language, just because English is important.

Meanwhile, how did the English language acquire the global status it now enjoys? Was it by making the language 'optional' in the territories they ruled
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by savanaha: 7:06pm On Jun 02, 2009
KnowAll:

@ KnowAll
Do you know what illiterate means? From the Oxford English dictionary (since the queen of England is your mother) illiteracy is explained as:

1. a. Of persons: Ignorant of letters or literature; without book-learning or education; unlettered, unlearned; spec. (in reference to census returns, voting by ballot papers, etc.) unable to read, i.e. totally illiterate. Also, more generally, characterized by ignorance or lack of learning or subtlety (in any sphere of activity). Cf. ILLITERACY.

1556 LAUDER Tractate 453 No more can Iudgis Illitturate Discus ane mater. a1635 NAUNTON Fragm. Reg. (Arb.) 50 Neither [was he] illiterate; for he was, as he would often professe, a friend to Sir Philip Sidney, and there are of his now extant, some fragments of his Poem. 1670 W. CLARKE Nitre 29 Every illiterate person talks of Brimstone in Lightning. 1748 CHESTERFIELD Lett. (1792) II. clii. 38 The word illiterate, in its common acceptation, means a man who is ignorant of those two languages [Greek and Latin]. 1826 E. IRVING Babylon II. VIII. 291 The illiterate fishermen of Galilee overcame the wit and learning of Greece and Rome. 1881 Echo 13 Jan. 1/5 The illiterate voter appeared rather prominently in the proceedings. 1953 Ann. Reg. 1952 397 The pre-war type of speculative builder's house, which by its illiterate design, had been largely responsible for the poor reputation of English suburban architecture. 1956 C. S. LEWIS Let. (1966) 268 One must first distinguish the effect which music has on, people like me who are musically illiterate and get only the emotional effect. 1962 Sunday Times (Colour Suppl.) 10 June 4 The ‘traditionalists’, who are in the main musically illiterate.

b. Of things: Characterized by or showing ignorance of letters, or absence of learning or education; unlearned, unpolished.

1597 A. M. tr. Guillemeau's Fr. Chirurg. * 6b, The harshnes of my illeterate and rude stile. 1621 BURTON Anat. Mel. I. ii. III. xv. (1651) 134 The Civil Law with us, an illiterate and barbarous Study. 1781 GIBBON Decl. & F. II. 75 The disadvantage of an illiterate education. 1870 MAX MÜLLER Sc. Relig. (1873) 102 The, crowd of bookless or illiterate religions.

2. In sense of L. illïttertus: Unfurnished with letters, not written upon; not expressed in words; unwritten; inarticulate. rare.

1645 MILTON Tetrach. (1851) 198 Confidently to those who have read good bookes, and to those whose reason is not an illiterate booke to themselves I appeale. 1715 tr. C'tess D'Aunoy's Wks. 428 All good Council we refuse, And our Illiterate Sorrows only bear. 1888 E. PEACOCK in Cath. Househ. 18 Aug. 11/1 Some few old bells, are without any inscription, but these ‘illiterate’ bells are very rare.

B. n. An illiterate, unlearned, or uneducated person; spec. (in reference to census or polling returns, etc.), a person unable to read.

1628 WITHER Brit. Rememb. v. 1737 Not as a weakling, or illiterate. 1710 STEELE Tatler No. 200 3 There is no manner of Competition between a Man of Liberal Education and an Illiterate. 1865 Pall Mall G. 13 Sept. 4/1 We have been told that the intellectual tests we have introduced into our army will exclude from it the dashing illiterates whose stout hearts and strong thews and sinews made it what it was under the Duke. 1883 Athenæum 3 Feb. 152/2 Regarding the number of ‘cannot reads’, Iowa is the ‘banner State’, having out of its total population but 2·4 per cent. of illiterates. 1893 Times 3 Aug. 7/3 [He] stated that in Ireland the illiterates were 21 per cent. of the electors.

Just because someone is not fluent in Engliah doesn't make them an illiterate and just because you deem yourself fluent doesn't mean that you are above anyone. My grandmother might not be able to become an English professor but she can fleuntly speak, read and write Igbo and read her Igbo bible, she only uses English to get by.

And on your ranting of commerce and illiteracy. . . many Chinese business men have translators and they are more than getting bye. In fact in commerce most people, try to learn Chinese or Japanese rather than English. In case you haven't noticed while you were couped in your Englishness, Great Britain is no longer great and God save you (America) as your mother the queen of England puts it.

We are no longer living under the rule of colonialism where speaking your language in public caused you to be flogged and abused as described by Ngugi wa Thiong'o. This acclaimed writer switched to only writing in his native tongue and he is no less literate than you Mr. Know(it)All.

Spanish people who live in America and only speak Spanish are not less literate than you. Infact a Polish man who became a millionaire decided to only serve Polish speaking people in America and gained wealth because of that.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by bawomolo(m): 7:17pm On Jun 02, 2009
Tell that to the  middle and High schoolers across the USA and you'll get a permanent supply of boys and girls flipping burgers since it's required for college.

language requirements depend on college major.

i didn't take a language class in college nor in high school. 

Well i did take french in nigeria.  bonjour osisi  grin.

An history or sociology course makes more sense than a language course. this is my opinion.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by savanaha: 7:18pm On Jun 02, 2009
bawomolo:

language requirements depend on college major.

i didn't take a language class in college nor in high school.

Well i did take french in nigeria. bonjour osisi grin.

I don't know what state you went to high school but in Ohio you have to take atleast 2 years of language in high school
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by bawomolo(m): 7:19pm On Jun 02, 2009
savanaha:

I don't know what state you went to high school but in Ohio you have to take atleast 2 years of language in high school

i was exempted because i did Yoruba and igbo in Nigeria.

I started SS2 in nigeria before moving to the US
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by udezue(m): 7:41pm On Jun 02, 2009
The day we will see Yoruba, Igbo, Efik, person who can speak and write and do everything in his native language as educated is the day we can say that AFRICA has been finally liberated.

Knowall,
Ndi di ka ghu enwero isi na mmadu. Afugo'm na agbu ndiocha kere ki atoghube ghi. Anyi gha na asu asusu Igbo ma ichoro ya mo na ichoro ya site na Anioma-delta, ruo na Ebonyi. Owughi so na Anambara ka oga kwusi. Ive nine i na ko ugbua bu akuko otele otele.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ikpeazu-led Government Has Weaponized Hunger In Abia – Alex Otti Attack Ikpeazu / Food Security Threatened As Floods Destroy Farms / Kwara: Tunji Moronfoye Apologises To Governor, REC Over Corruption Allegation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.