Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,448 members, 7,823,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

Anambra's Igbo Language Bill - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra's Igbo Language Bill (10026 Views)

Seriously, The Name "Buhari" Means Postponement In Igbo Language. Pictures. / Imo Makes Possession Of Igbo Language Compulsory For Admission Into University / Igbo Language Might Become Extinct In The Next 50 Years - Unesco (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by chiogo(f): 7:29pm On Jun 04, 2009
agabaI23:

Bikonu jeenu wetara Chiogo feeding bottle, juokwa nne ya ma onugokwa ara tata.
Lol, very funny. not.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by romeo(m): 7:44pm On Jun 04, 2009
chiogo:

Lol, where did you see my picture? I maghi onye bu munwa na di picture. mba, iri na ato bukari aro m. tongue

Chi kedu onye i bu na di picture biko? mana umuasa ahu nile kara aka!! onweghi obere nwa noo ebe ahu cheesy cheesy

agabaI23:

Bikonu jeenu wetara Chiogo feeding bottle, juokwa nne ya ma onugokwa ara tata.

Agaba eji m aka na obughi feeding bottle nke iji enye Felimbombo mmiri ara ka i choro inye nwatakiri a cheesy cheesy
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by chiogo(f): 7:52pm On Jun 04, 2009
romeo:

Chi kedu onye i bu na di picture biko? mana umuasa ahu nile kara aka!! onweghi obere nwa noo ebe ahu cheesy cheesy

Agaba eji m aka na obughi feeding bottle nke iji enye Felimbombo mmiri ara ka i choro inye nwatakiri a cheesy cheesy
LMAO, odika ina elofu na m na hota igbo. Ikporom nwatakiri kita mana isi na onweghi onye bu obere nwa na di picture. I'll leave you to figure out your question. tongue
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by agabaI23(m): 7:57pm On Jun 04, 2009
Romeo
Tosh ji nke felibombo

Chiogo bu nke no na etiti.
O di afo iri abuo na-ato, O n-aje ibu iriabuo na-ano n'oge na-adighi anya
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by chiogo(f): 8:03pm On Jun 04, 2009
agabaI23:

Romeo
Tosh ji nke felibombo

Chiogo bu nke no na etiti.
O di afo iri abuo na-ato, O n-aje ibu iriabuo na-ano n'oge na-adighi anya
Lol idi wrong na ihe abuo ikwuru.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by ezeagu(m): 8:06pm On Jun 04, 2009
chiogo:

Lol idi wrong na ihe abuo ikwuru.

I wu nke nor na aka ekpe.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by chiogo(f): 8:13pm On Jun 04, 2009
ezeagu:

I wu nke nor na aka ekpe.
Nope cheesy
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by ChinenyeN(m): 8:17pm On Jun 04, 2009
haha. . . and now this thread has become something else. Chiogo, age is not an issue at that Igbo thread. I'm rather young myself (looking at that picture of yours, I'm most likely younger than you), and I visit that thread every once in a while.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by chiogo(f): 8:21pm On Jun 04, 2009
No, I'm sure you're older, Chinenye. I visit the thread, I just don't post due to the kinds of conversations being held. I can't relate with them. embarassed
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by ChinenyeN(m): 8:32pm On Jun 04, 2009
How would you know if I'm older? hehh. Anyway, yeah I can understand what you mean when you say you can't relate, but you can still come in and greet every once in a while, at the very least. Aside from that, I'm always reading that thread, so if what you need/want, in order to post/converse there, is someone/something to relate to, then just post something and I don't mind responding to it (this is of course, under the assumption that it'll be easier for you to relate with me).
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by chiogo(f): 8:37pm On Jun 04, 2009
ChinenyeN:

How would you know if I'm older? hehh.
I just looked at your profile and you're 19. cheesy

ChinenyeN:

Anyway, yeah I can understand what you mean when you say you can't relate, but you can still come in and greet every once in a while, at the very least. Aside from that, I'm always reading that thread, so if what you need/want, in order to post/converse there, is someone/something to relate to, then just post something and I don't mind responding to it (this is of course, under the assumption that it'll be easier for you to relate with me).
Sure, I can do that.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by ChinenyeN(m): 8:42pm On Jun 04, 2009
chiogo:

I just looked at your profile and you're 19.  cheesy
Oh. . yeah. I completely forgot that I had that up there.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by agabaI23(m): 11:15pm On Jun 04, 2009
The person we dee left for Chiogo picture get flat chest. Na de bad thing for there undecided
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by romeo(m): 12:02am On Jun 05, 2009
I didn't notice undecided undecided tongue tongue
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by chiogo(f): 1:00am On Jun 05, 2009
agabaI23:

The person we dee left for Chiogo picture get flat chest. Na de bad thing for there undecided
which one?  undecided
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by sosisi(f): 2:35am On Jun 05, 2009
These Ibo people have started again
are we going to die for you people? tongue
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by romeo(m): 8:30am On Jun 05, 2009
chiogo:

which one?  undecided

Bia ogini n'eme gi? how many people are there? one girl and one girl alone. or did Agaba touch some nerves? cheesy cheesy

I like girls with portable breasts. grin grin
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by agabaI23(m): 5:48pm On Jun 05, 2009
chiogo:

which one? undecided
The one on the left. There is only one on the left.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by chiogo(f): 6:22pm On Jun 05, 2009
agabaI23:

The one on the left. There is only one on the left.
Umm, ok. .the one in blue.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by agabaI23(m): 6:41pm On Jun 05, 2009
as if you did not know before!
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by Danladi7: 10:15am On Oct 26, 2017

1 Like

Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by Killitoff: 11:33am On Feb 13, 2018
Lol
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by kayfra: 11:57am On Feb 13, 2018
Lmao

grin grin grin

Igbo low tech sense

1 Like

Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by nku5: 12:59pm On Feb 13, 2018
Was the bill ever signed into law?
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by wingmanII: 1:05pm On Feb 13, 2018
The Lagos bill is quite different from the Anambra bill. Digging up this thread is futile.
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by baralatie(m): 1:05pm On Feb 13, 2018
blackspade:
Anambra's Igbo Language Bill

1 June 2009

Lagos — The recent law stipulating Igbo language and attire for Anambra State schools is, so far, the loudest demonstration of concern for indigenous tongues in Nigeria, which experts classify as being on the verge of extinction.

This move is not out of character for the Anambra State House of Assembly which had earlier dedicated Wednesdays to the conduct of plenary sessions in the vernacular which, over the years, has been eroded in importance owing to western influence.

The bill, sponsored by Hon. Sylvester Okeke (Anaocha I), seeks to reverse the slide of Igbo into oblivion by encouraging students and civil servants under the Anambra State jurisdiction to learn, speak and write Igbo as fluently as they do English, which was imposed on the nation's indigenous populations by the colonial experience.

The Igbo language bill has a take-off date of September 2011. By this date, all public and private educational institutions in the state are expected by force of law to make Igbo a mandatory general studies course for all freshmen. Among other requirements, mastery of Igbo will be a precondition for promotion from junior to senior secondary school, while all institutions of higher learning will be bound to set up Igbo language departments.

The bill also seeks to impose a penalty of between N5, 000 and N100, 000 on JSS III students who fail the subject in the qualifying examination for admission into the senior school classes.

Noble as the intentions of the bill may be and good as they look on paper, the objective of that piece of legislation will hardly be achieved by a single stroke of the pen as the honourable members would have us believe. We daresay that the Assembly has simply put the cart before the horse.

There may be a general dialect that is widely accepted among the Igbo-speaking people as the authentic Igbo tongue, but that can hardly be said of wearing apparel, much less in Anambra State. Thus, Igbo dressing will be the next major challenge of the new law. The issue of what people wear ought not be subjected to legislation. Decency and good taste have always guided societies throughout history.

Can we imagine all Scotsmen in kilts as a matter of law?

Assuming the attire hurdle is surmountable, is there the basic infrastructure to enable compliance? If not, what plans are in place to achieve this infrastructure in the foreseeable future?

What the Anambra lawmakers should do is to go back to the drawing board and make room for a phased implementation of the noble objective of enthroning Igbo as a language of serious business, first in AFnambra, and then in the rest of Igbo land which extends well beyond the frontiers of the present South-East geo-political zone to the South-south communities where Igbo is the mother tongue.

We had expected the Anambra lawmakers to avert their minds to the feasibility of erecting Igbo language departments in universities in a country where most schools cannot find graduate teachers of Igbo language. Igbo teachers, writers, translators and interpreters are, in fact, as rare as the eagle in Igbo land.

Besides a concert of activities to generate genuine interest in the language, there should, indeed, be a programme for the massive training of teachers, using scholarships and related incentives to lure prospective graduates into Igbo studies. The government has a lead role to play in this regard because only governmental resources can kick-start the process and pave the way for public-spirited individuals to endow university professorial chairs to promote Igbo studies.

Only a planned injection of Igbo teachers into the education system can encourage the setting up of Igbo language departments and lead to patronage from parents and guardians, as well as students.

It is not easy to achieve all we have suggested between now and September 2011. It will take painstaking efforts involving more than the government of Anambra State, working towards the common goal of returning Igbo language to a place of pride. We believe, however, that it can be done.

While the proposed Igbo language project is commended we, however, urge the Honourable House to review the position and ensure that first things are done first.

http://www.champion-newspapers.com/daily%20champion%20files/Editorial/editorial.htm
and here it is
Re: Anambra's Igbo Language Bill by resurgentxtian4: 1:08pm On Feb 13, 2018
Can the mods kindly put this on front page? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Individual Efforts Can’t End Terrorism -Buhari / The Evil Effect Of Godfatherism In Nigeria Politice / Olujonwo Obasanjo: Why I Am Supporting Buhari – Obasanjo’s Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.