Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) (1905 Views)

Igbo Man Makes Clothes For Almajiris In Kano For Sallah (Photos) / Jonathan: "No Nigerian Was Sent To Prison For What They Said Or Wrote Under Me" / Tinubu Came To See Me 3 Times B4 I Approved Oando Conocophilips Deal - Diezani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by chigomiced: 9:44am On Dec 08, 2015
Those that say The Yeeboos wont survive if The Federal Govt give them Biafruad Should come and sit for lectures cool

Thanks to wikipedia again cool
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aro_Confederacy

The Aro Confederacy (1690–1902) was a political union orchestrated by the Igbo subgroup, the Aro people, centered in Arochukwu in present-day southeastern Nigeria. Their influence and presence was all over Eastern Nigeria, lower Middle Belt, and parts of present-day Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea during the 18th and 19th centuries. The Arochukwu Kingdom was an economical, political, and an oracular center as it was home of the powerful Ibini Ukpabi oracle, High Priests, the Aro King Eze Aro, and central council (Okpankpo).

Rise:

By the mid-18th century, several Aro business families had migrated to the Igbo hinterland and to adjacent areas as a result of the rise of the demand for slaves and for palm oil. This migration, the influence of their god Ibini Ukpabi through priests, and their military power supported by their alliances with several related neighboring Igbo and eastern Cross River militarized states (particularly Ohafia, Edda, Abam, Abiriba, Afikpo, Ekoi, etc.), quickly established the Aro Confederacy as a regional economic power.

Confederacy:

Aro activities helped coastal the growth of city-states in the Niger Delta, and they became important centers for the export of palm oil and slaves. Such city-states included Opobo, Bonny, Nembe, Calabar, as well as other slave trading city-states controlled by the Ijaw, Efik, and Igbo. The Aros formed a strong trading network, colonies, and incorporated hundreds of communities that formed into powerful kingdoms. The Ajalli, Arondizuogu, Ndikelionwu, and Igbene Kingdoms were some of the most powerful Aro states in the Confederacy after Arochukwu. Some were founded and named after commanders and chiefs like Izuogu Mgbokpo and Iheme who led Aro/Abam forces to conquer Ikpa Ora and founded Arondizuogu. Later Aro commanders such as Okoro Idozuka (also of Arondizuogu) expanded the state's borders through warfare at the start of the 19th century. Aro migrations also played a large role in the expansion of Ozizza, Afikpo, Izombe, and many other city-states. For example, Aro soldiers founded at least three villages in Ozizza. The Aro Confederacy's power, however, derived mostly from its economic and religious position. With European colonists on their way at the end of the 19th century, things changed.

Decline:

During the 1890s, the Royal Niger Company of Britain bore friction with the Aros because of their economic dominance and alleged human sacrifice. The Aro resisted British penetration in the hinterland because their influence economically and religiously was being threatened. The Aro and their allies launched offensives against British allies in Igbo and Ibibioland. After failed negotiations, the British planned on capturing the Aro Confederacy in 1899. By 1901, the tensions were especially intensified when British prepared for the Aro Expedition. The invasion of Obegu (in Igboland) was the last major Aro offensive before the start of the Anglo-Aro War. In November 1901, the British launched the Aro Expedition and after strong Aro resistance, Arochukwu was captured on December 28, 1901. By Spring 1902, the war was over and the Aro Confederacy collapsed.

Contrary to the belief that the Ibini Ukpabi was destroyed, the shrine still exists, and is intact in Arochukwu and serves mainly as a tourist site.

The Rebirth Of The IGbo Nation: watch-out cool

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by NigLasPresident: 9:47am On Dec 08, 2015
Ok... So what's the lesson here?
Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by chigomiced: 9:52am On Dec 08, 2015
NigLasPresident:
Ok... So what's the lesson here?

google is your friend bros undecided
Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by yungchief(m): 9:56am On Dec 08, 2015
Watz ur point undecided
Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by Awoofawo(m): 10:01am On Dec 08, 2015
Me and one biscuit bone dey fight now, when I finish subduing it, I go commentus cool

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by Nobody: 10:23am On Dec 08, 2015
The point is that the Igbo nation will rise again....

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by chigomiced: 10:43am On Dec 08, 2015
AfricanFinest:
The point is that the Igbo nation will rise again....

Tanchu my broda...... some have eyes but cannot see tongue tongue tongue

thats how dey said "igboland" is landlocked
Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by Nobody: 10:48am On Dec 08, 2015
chigomiced:

Tanchu my broda...... some have eyes but cannot see tongue tongue tongue

thats how dey said "igboland" is landlocked

Dem they eye us they put eye for our matter...
We no dey relent giving it back to them where it hurts the most...
With credible facts and figures... smiley

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by ruffhandu: 10:51am On Dec 08, 2015
@ chigomiced
why do you call them Yeeboos?
Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by chigomiced: 11:06am On Dec 08, 2015
ruffhandu:
@ chigomiced
why do you call them Yeeboos?

thats what you call them not me.....
Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by naijapips02: 11:08am On Dec 08, 2015
the igbo nation is not and was never biafra
Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by chigomiced: 11:08am On Dec 08, 2015
AfricanFinest:

Dem they eye us they put eye for our matter...
We no dey relent giving it back to them where it hurts the most...
With credible facts and figures... smiley

some1 said Jonathan is an Igbo man... how tru is dat
Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by ruffhandu: 11:08am On Dec 08, 2015
chigomiced:

thats what you call them not me.....

You should have addressed them well yourself. They are Igbos.
You should have written "Those that say The Igbos wont survive if The Federal Govt give them Biafruad Should come and sit for lectures"

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by chigomiced: 11:12am On Dec 08, 2015
ruffhandu:

You should have addressed them well yourself. They are Igbos.
You should have written "Those that say The Igbos wont survive if The Federal Govt give them Biafruad Should come and sit for lectures"

leave it dat way...... i know whom i was addressing by writing "yeeboos" instead of "Igbo People"
Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by Nobody: 12:43pm On Dec 08, 2015
chigomiced:

some1 said Jonathan is an Igbo man... how tru is dat

Jonathan is ijo (ijaw ethnic group) abeg.
Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by chigomiced: 12:47pm On Dec 08, 2015
AfricanFinest:

Jonathan is ijo (ijaw ethnic group) abeg.

tanchu cool

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Man B4 Nigerian Was Created (aro Confederacy) by PedroJP(m): 12:54pm On Dec 08, 2015
Biafra is here already whether okeke or okafoa likes it or not. Anybody dat wants to opt out can stay behind with Nigeria if Nigeria promises to offer better future for them.

D most important thing is dat Igbos are liberated from evil called Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Not Nigeria’s Messiah, There’ll Be No Biafra – Bishop Kwakpovwe / A Brief History Of Colonel Samaila Inusa / Oil Prices: What’s Behind The Drop? Simple Economics - New York Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.