Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,100 members, 7,825,482 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! (35313 Views)

5 Months After Landing My Dream Job In An Int'l NGO, The Admin Shocked Me Today / Best Respond To Four Salary Negotiation Questions / Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by Wizzaro2014(m): 4:00pm On Dec 08, 2015
Thanks very much
tolexy12:
Salary negotiation responses that could cost you your dream job!
#1. "I accept your first offer"
The employer often offers the job and salary simultaneously. Never say yes right away -- even if you like the offer. Try not to end your negotiation process before it even starts.

#2. "I Want X"
Information is the key to any kind of negotiation and a common mistake job-seekers make is telling the employer what you’ll accept. Let the employer make the first offer — this will put you
into the position to see the number they are offering and gives you the opportunity to negotiate it up from there.

#3. "Is That All You Can Offer?"
Such phrase could easily offend the employer and you will lose the chance of landing that job. Even is the salary they're offering is hilarious — try do not show your emotions and negotiate further.

#4. "I Have A Better Offer" or "This Is My Final Offer"
You might have a better offer, but this doesn't mean you can use it to pressure the employer. Whatever you do, don’t threaten to leave
if you don’t get the raise, you also shouldn’t threaten your boss with other job offers, interviews, or recruiter conversations.

#5. "My Answer Is No"
Negotiations are called like that for a reason, while negotiating you should be flexible and make counteroffers if the offer employer
have made doesn't suit you. Answering "no" to an offer is a great way of losing the chance to get any offer.

#6. "I Don't Want To Sound Agressive, But"
This kind of phrases should never be used in the negotiation process, especially if you don't have any facts to base on further.

#7. "I Need"
Don’t focus on your personal needs. You make a much better case to your boss that you’re worth more when you focus on your performance and achievements.

#8. "I Hate To Have To Ask, But..."
There is no easy way to start asking for money, but saying that you "hate it" is just the most terrible way. Nobody hates to ask for more money, so just don't lie that you do.

#9. "I've Heard You Offered X To Jane And I Am A Much Better Worker"
Using gossip as a tool in salary negotiation is simply unprofessional and you can shoot yourself in the foot with such phrase. Also it is rude. Ofcourse you can and even should make a
research on your market value, thought you should do this on the Internet, not in the office.

#10. "I Think/Maybe"
Do not use words that will make you sound unsure. To receive the best offer you need to sound confident.

#11. "Thats The Least I'm Willing To Accept"
If you will tell the lower offer you're willing to accept, make sure to deal with it, because its the highest offer you will receive.

#12. "I'm Sorry"
Apologizing in the salary negotiation means you're unconfident. Value yourself and know exactly what you're worth. When you know exactly what kind of value you will bring to the company, you do not need to say you're sorry because you want more money.

#13. "This Is So Cheap"
Being disrespectful to the employer could simply leave you without a job.

#14. "I Worth So Much More"
If you don't want to look arrogant - if you want to mention your value, try to say it in a way that isn't so obnoxious.

Please read and digest! grin smiley

Reeditted from: job.naij.com/tips-How+to+Answer+Salary+Negotiation+Questions+to+Achieve+the+Job+Offer+You+Deserve
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by steffans(m): 4:00pm On Dec 08, 2015
Ok
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 08, 2015
woah! FRONTPAGE, oyaaaaaaa!!!! grin grin
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 08, 2015
texasbullet:
sorry I bumped in here with this I just wanna help

I got my job from here abt a year ago, and am doing well since then, so i felt I should give back to this forum,
we need a confidential secretary in our abuja office,

maximum qualification OND
must have a very good knowledge of microsoft packages, @least 90% knowledge
maximum age 28

and I assure u the pay is very good, its a staff package not contract.

if u meet the requirements pls call 08172014277
pls note, word, excel, and power point knowledge is very important.

Whats the pay package?
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by HARDDON: 4:10pm On Dec 08, 2015
this is a typical nigerian way of write up and dealing with issues....

op u just ended up listing problems........and we all know these problems, what are the solutions you proffering?
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by onimcee1(m): 4:12pm On Dec 08, 2015
[quote author=tolexy12 post=40800176]Salary negotiation responses that could cost you your dream job!
The employer often offers the job and salary simultaneously. Never say yes right away -- even if you like the offer. Try not to end your negotiation process before it even starts.

#2. "I Want X"
Information is the key to any kind of negotiation and a common mistake job-seekers make is telling the employer what you’ll accept. Let the employer make the first offer — this will put you
into the position to see the number they are offering and gives you the opportunity to negotiate it up from there.

Such phrase could easily offend the employer and you will lose the chance of landing that job. Even is the salary they're offering is hilarious — try do not show your emotions and negotiate further.

You might have a better offer, but this doesn't mean you can use it to pressure the employer. Whatever you do, don’t threaten to leave
if you don’t get the raise, you also shouldn’t threaten your boss with other job offers, interviews, or recruiter conversations.

#5. "My Answer Is No"
Negotiations are called like that for a reason, while negotiating you should be flexible and make counteroffers if the offer employer
have made doesn't suit you. Answering "no" to an offer is a great way of losing the chance to get any offer.

This kind of phrases should never be used in the negotiation process, especially if you don't have any facts to base on further.

#7. "I Need"
Don’t focus on your personal needs. You make a much better case to your boss that you’re worth more when you focus on your performance and achievements.

There is no easy way to start asking for money, but saying that you "hate it" is just the most terrible way. Nobody hates to ask for more money, so just don't lie that you do.

Using gossip as a tool in salary negotiation is simply unprofessional and you can shoot yourself in the foot with such phrase. Also it is rude. Ofcourse you can and even should make a
research on your market value, thought you should do this on the Internet, not in the office.

#10. "I Think/Maybe"
Do not use words that will make you sound unsure. To receive the best offer you need to sound confident.

If you will tell the lower offer you're willing to accept, make sure to deal with it, because its the highest offer you will receive.

#12. "I'm Sorry"
Apologizing in the salary negotiation means you're unconfident. Value yourself and know exactly what you're worth. When you know exactly what kind of value you will bring to the company, you do not need to say you're sorry because you want more money.

#13. "This Is So Cheap"

If you don't want to look arrogant - if you want to mention your value, try to say it in a way that isn't so obnoxious.
Thumbs up... A similar topic helped me put my current employer in an akward position during negotiation.
I earn more than the other employees here.
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by Nobody: 4:16pm On Dec 08, 2015
HARDDON:
this is a typical nigerian way of write up and dealing with issues....

op u just ended up listing problems........and we all know these problems, what are the solutions you proffering?
what I can summarily proffer as solution is for you to be technical in ur responses and don't give straight and sharp answers that might make the HR think you are too full of yourself
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by danton(m): 4:17pm On Dec 08, 2015
Thanks
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by Moborhlar(f): 4:20pm On Dec 08, 2015
Pls anybody else the right response shld post it........I really want to knw how to respond in dat aspect.
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by HARDDON: 4:31pm On Dec 08, 2015
tolexy12:
what I can summarily proffer as solution is for you to be technical in ur responses and don't give straight and sharp answers that might make the HR think you are too full of yourself

summarily proffer to THOSE WHO NEED IT, not to me( by his grace, i'm an employer of Labour).

u shld know these situations dont afford you much thinking time and depending on the frame of mind and how relaxed a person is, those issues would pop up unavoidably.
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by serendipityF: 4:42pm On Dec 08, 2015
What will you do in a case when they pressure you to mention a particular figure which happens most of the time undecided
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by gungab(m): 4:43pm On Dec 08, 2015
Wetin person go reply interviewer now?

1 Like

Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by ndcide(m): 4:44pm On Dec 08, 2015
People lie a lot about their salary. Getting correct salary quote is not as easy.

Engineers in some organization earn far less than what some others earn. So Industry standard does not arise.
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by Ximonak: 4:59pm On Dec 08, 2015
During NYSC, wanted an extra job, went for an interview(Secondary sch) and was told to teach maths, geography and physics, must be in school 10am - 3pm (4x/day) was ok, with it. Passed there test.
then the salary, they were just saying blah blah blah... how it's not there policy to take a serving corp member and I am privileged...
I was just looking at them as I heard 13k +1k lesson monthly and no salary once there is holiday(I minus 3k transport, so am left with 10k).
I just said point blank "I'm not ok with it"
no need to dey find english way they suitable.
They where surprised, later pleaded, even called me 2days later because they needed someone that can teach "map reading" badly. Just bluntly replied no since them self no fit shake body

Fastforward, I later got an office ICT part-time job for 30k.

sometimes those hr/interviewers will just take advantage of you without any human feelings
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by beeznitfizo: 5:00pm On Dec 08, 2015

Just bear in mind first that all position in a firm hv a price tag determined by numerous factors lk firm size, current dividends, current projects etc.
There are two gateways.
1)Experienced Job Seekers
If u fall within this category then u shld witfully n tactically armtwist ur employer for a gud package especially in a private firm. Note- most public firms already hv a fixed salary structure so u won't gt anytyn higher or lower so research be4hand on this before d interview n ur reply wld b easy.
Remember in private firms d employer wants to gt d best for d least amount and if u know ur worth u shld ask for sometyn commensurate to ur skill level.
In the last interview we conducted in our firm, a brilliant young man showed exceptional skill at coding far beyond what we wanted bt he had low self esteem maybe bc he was stl fresh out of skul. When i saw his personal projects,I hid my astonishment. We already had a salary of 65k drawn up for dat post, d young man instead asked for 35k after I hd tactfully worked on his weakness. I later dropped it to 30k and he accepted d offer. Only if he knew his worth, I wld b begging him at 70k. At my last interview, my employer saw my projects n asked me for a figure. i didn't want to gv any bt he insisted I go first, we haggled for some tym. I finally said 1.5M. They shouted nt realizing it was a joke, I flummoxed them d more stating I am worth dat amount by speaking indebtly abt my field bt wn I stopped wt a hysterical laff they knew it was a joke n said they hv only xxxK to gv. Trust now, I haggled for more & they later increased it.
Experienced job seekers shld research n hv an idea of thier skillz worth before d interview n if ur interviewer insist u name a price, wch they always do, start wt ur highest bc they always try to bargain wt whom they know is best suited for d job.
2) for Non-experienced Workers:
Seriously there is no format to it. Just try not to name a price first bt if they insist u name one, gv a reasonable amount that u must hv researched on beforehand. This salary research is ur only escape route. If u don't hv an idea wat u shld be paid before an interview, the job is nt urs n private employers wl have ur services for peanut.

2 Likes

Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by jackima: 5:02pm On Dec 08, 2015
Thank you, now write what we are to say.
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by ISLAM4theWISE: 5:03pm On Dec 08, 2015
Hope u wunt ask me to pay 60k undecided
texasbullet:
sorry I bumped in here with this I just wanna help

I got my job from here abt a year ago, and am doing well since then, so i felt I should give back to this forum,
we need a confidential secretary in our abuja office,

maximum qualification OND
must have a very good knowledge of microsoft packages, @least 90% knowledge
maximum age 28

and I assure u the pay is very good, its a staff package not contract.

if u meet the requirements pls call 08172014277
pls note, word, excel, and power point knowledge is very important.
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by texazzpete(m): 5:10pm On Dec 08, 2015
I hope people who read these tips don't just do 'copy and paste'.

Responses should be tailored to the context at hand. There are interviews you'll have to play hardball, some you instinctively know you have to play softball.

People should try more to prepare better mentally for an interview and use common sense to dynamically react to situations. Following 'tips' blindly has probably cost more people jobs than you can know.

i remember hearing once that the recruitment personnel in Schlumberger got exasperated and told the room of potential candidates "is there anyone else here who has something interesting to tell me that they didn't read online"?
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by linearity: 5:24pm On Dec 08, 2015
dominique:
Some of those responses are so unrealistic, I doubt if any right thinking job seeker will give such. Besides, most employers already have in mind how much your salary will be. No matter how you sugarcoat your worth, you won't get a dime higher than the proposed salary.
Not truth, most positions have a salary range, also if you know your worth, you can get more.

Most people go into interview with a singular mindset to be interviewed and that is wrong.

Just like they are evaluating if you are the right candidate for the job, you should also be interviewing them to know, if they are the right company for you, it is two way street. You should also know if the salary is the right salary and should be able to negotiate your salary.

During my days of interviews as a job seeker, I am always ready for the 'do you have any question for us' session and I utilize it to the max and one line of questions I usually ask goes like this..."Sir, how long have worked in this company?"..."what made you qualities of this company have influenced you to stay this long?"

I also ask specific questions about the position been recruited for...I want to know how the position came to be...is it as a result of growth, firing of the last person, temporary, etc.
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by yemsat001: 5:30pm On Dec 08, 2015
what if the employer insists on one giving a specific amount?
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by shollyBi(m): 5:34pm On Dec 08, 2015
so what should the interviewee say? with all this your point it will be safer if the person keep shut

1 Like

Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by Bloggz74(m): 5:36pm On Dec 08, 2015
hafees:

WRONG!

I work in HR, sometimes we go back to raise the budget bar, if we consider a candidate to be very good- in house we call it break the bank, or crash the ceiling, but the guy better perform Lol.

My own advise is that management have a budget, but most times people finally agree below the budget, it makes HR look good. However there are some positions you don't play with e.g IT, or the guy spend one month and resume else where following month

Lols
Thank God you work in HR,I need a job urgently please.
Qalification:Bsc .Banking and Finance
Grade: 2:2
Experience:6yrs
Sector:Oil and gas/financial institution.
#Administration and Logistics.
#Client sourcing and retention.
#Marketing and relationship.
Joacquimnow@gmail.com
God bless us!
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by sule5727: 5:46pm On Dec 08, 2015
tolexy12:
Salary negotiation responses that could cost you your dream job!

#2. "I Want X"

#5. "My Answer Is No"

#7. "I Need"

#10. "I Think/Maybe"

#12. "I'm Sorry"

#13. "This Is So Cheap"

Please read and digest! grin smiley

Reeditted from: job.naij.com/tips-How+to+Answer+Salary+Negotiation+Questions+to+Achieve+the+Job+Offer+You+Deserve
ok! tell us what one should say in the cause of negotiation with ur employer
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by LaRoyalHighness(f): 5:49pm On Dec 08, 2015
What will someone say to get the job?
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by Nobody: 6:09pm On Dec 08, 2015
Op you have tried but its by God's grace and favour that one gets a dream job nevertheless as humans we must play our part....many ppl have said some of these stuffs and gotten a job and many also didn't say any and no job....
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by Nkenkenyi87: 6:39pm On Dec 08, 2015
I love this one...!
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by femynho(m): 9:11pm On Dec 08, 2015
Prymestrr:
U v stated d wrong responses... Where r d right responses?

Pls, help me ask am...all dis DON'TS without solutions
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by beeznitfizo: 1:12am On Dec 09, 2015
LaRoyalHighness:
What will someone say to get the job?

U re very very funny. Tell them you are related to president Buhari n u wl gt d job
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by Famsey: 8:12am On Dec 09, 2015
Tnks 4 d info..but dos r d cons..pls I nid to knw d pros

Prolly d best phrase someone can use smiley
Re: 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! by Lsofdk(m): 12:17pm On Dec 09, 2015
really

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

74rri, Nigerian Army Shortlist Names For Pre-screening Examination / ₦400k Monthly Job In Nigeria Or American Visa, Which Option Is Best? / Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.