Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,586 members, 7,816,443 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee (809 Views)

Punch Is INEC Result Media. / PUNCH Is Newspaper Of The Year Again / PUNCH Is Fabricating And Quoting FICTITIOUS Sullivan Chime Aides !!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by blacksta(m): 8:23pm On Jun 01, 2009
Obviously it looks like the initial move might have backfired.
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by blacksta(m): 8:24pm On Jun 01, 2009
oh sorry

it is just the headlines that are free . oh shit
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by Pataki: 8:30pm On Jun 01, 2009
It is NOT FREE!

Here is what they stated:

Effective from May 29th 2009, access to read news stories on our website will be by subscription. The subscription amount of N1,500 per month gives access to your authoritative news on:

* Punch website (www.punchontheweb.com)
    * Punch Mobile (Read news on your mobile phone)
    * ePaper (Your favourite newspaper exactly as it appears in print)

Payment for subscription can be done through

* Debit card (Interswitch)
    * Visa card (including Visa electron)
    * Purchase of scratch cards at designated Punch offices nationwide
    * Cash at any First Bank Branch

Thank you.

The Punch Online team
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by blacksta(m): 8:33pm On Jun 01, 2009
thanks pataki

i figured that out when i clicked on the headline link and it was asking for money.
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by jensinmi(m): 8:40pm On Jun 01, 2009
@ blacksta.

Chai, My guy. U drink

U no click before you cry "WOLF"??
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by Pataki: 8:41pm On Jun 01, 2009
blacksta:

thanks  pataki

i figured that out when i clicked on the headline link and it was asking for money.
Do I blame them, with the advent of the internet, and easy access to information from your mobile, who has the time to be buying printed copies of a newspaper? grin

Just that, their method is archaic and stupid to me. undecided
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by sholasys: 9:00pm On Jun 01, 2009
I think The Punch have sets of mediocre working for them. Their mind set is that other will follow suit .BIG ERROR.
Even if i dont visit Naija newspapper site again, i will still be current and get latest information about my country free on the net. HOW CAN I BE PAYING FOR INTERNET THEN BE PAYING TO READ JUST NEWS THAT WILL FADE AWAY. WHEN I CAN DOWNLOADS FREE RESOURCES AND BOOKS ONLINE THAT WILL PROGRESS MY CAREER. House remember their website was hit by virus last year or this January. Dont wory Another virus is coming. This time Una go hear "ween"

TO All you can get most of nigerian website through www.gamji.com foreign news too dey there.
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by lagbaja(m): 5:12pm On Jun 02, 2009
This will turn out to be a stupid decision taken by Punch. All i need to do to make them feel their stupidty is to subscribe to their page with the N1,500, copy their content and use it to create a masquerade of their page and offer it free. I will even make some money from google ads.
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by chykeo(m): 5:28pm On Jun 02, 2009
I may be wrong folks but I am yet to see an online newspaper asking for payment to read its news stories. Someone should tell them that they can make more money by driving traffic to thier site and having much adverts because of traffic. In this age and time, information is becoming cheaper and cheaper and Punch is going to make thiers expensive.

What do they even write about? Sycophancy to the highest order? How many times have they practised robust journalism? How many times have they sought to editorialise and streamline Nigerians' thoughts for the government? Have we had any scoop from them lately? Have they been investigative?

Let someone remind them how boring thier news stories are and maybe they will have a rethink. Come to think of it? Thisday is the worst! All you see everyday on thier website is Thisday music awards showing one American singer or the other or you have thier ThisDay lecture.
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by Eziachi: 5:39pm On Jun 02, 2009
They are wasting their time and effort, only a fool will pay to read any sort of news on the internet in this 21st century, when you can find that same news in millions of places if you search and look. They should restructure their advertising revenue drive on their website as source of making the short fall from printed papers, rather than asking for money for one to read their non special news.
Even the best newspapers in the world do not charge subsription.
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by MaiSuya(m): 6:11pm On Jun 02, 2009
N1,500 per month? that will be far less than the hard copy(N150/copy). . . hmm not a bad bargain actually. . .
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jun 02, 2009
Mai Suya:

N1,500 per month? that will be far less than the hard copy(N150/copy). . . hmm not a bad bargain actually. . .

the ads won't be in the online edition
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by Pataki: 6:28pm On Jun 02, 2009
lagbaja:

This will turn out to be a stupid decision taken by Punch. All i need to do to make them feel their stupidty is to subscribe to their page with the N1,500, copy their content and use it to create a masquerade of their page and offer it free. I will even make some money from google ads.
LOL. . . . . . But would there be no copyright law to the content of their reports?

Sounds like a good idea though. But to be honest Punch Newspaper have LOST IT.
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by lagbaja(m): 6:35pm On Jun 02, 2009
copyright law on internet content in Nigeria ?. how are they going to enforce that when they dont know where I am operating from, whether within or outside Nigeria.
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by bawomolo(m): 6:55pm On Jun 02, 2009
The blogging age has killed the newspaper era. Who is going to pay for bogus information from "unknown" sources that are already public.
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by deor03(m): 9:18am On Jun 18, 2009
Hey punch is now free grin grin grin grin grin

click

http://www.e-punch.com/default.aspx
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by idupaul: 11:56pm On Jun 18, 2009
funny
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by Afaukwu: 12:00am On Jun 19, 2009
lagbaja:

copyright law on internet content in Nigeria ?. how are they going to enforce that when they dont know where I am operating from, whether within or outside Nigeria.

Your IP number bears you out. Except you are operating from outerspace
Re: Hooray - Punch Is Back And It Is Free : Eeeeeee by Afaukwu: 12:01am On Jun 19, 2009
Most (if not all) newspapers in the world are free online. Punch go tire.

(1) (Reply)

Irate Youths Attack Gov In Zaria / Ohakim Is At It Again, Threatens Teachers And Lecturers! /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.