Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,889 members, 7,828,146 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

No Plan To Impose Taxes On Churches - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / No Plan To Impose Taxes On Churches (627 Views)

Christianity Has Become A Crime In Kaduna As El-rufai Wages New War On Churches / Pastors, Private Jets And Their Taxes By Joseph Edgar / Tupac Speaks On Churches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

No Plan To Impose Taxes On Churches by Recognise: 8:48pm On Jun 01, 2009
Lagos State governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, on Friday cleared the air on the misrepresentations in the purported imposition of tax on religious organisations in the state, saying there was no intention by the State Government to tax churches in the state.

Governor Fashola, who made the clarification while fielding questions from newsmen at a World Press Conference to mark his second year in office at the Banquet Hall of the Lagos House, explained that the State Government only sought obedience to an already existing federal law that religious leaders should pay tax from the personal income they earn from their activities.

“The point here is that religious leaders are not different from you and me. If they earn income from that activity, it is only proper that they remit to the commonwealth, to the common pool and to the common developmental resources from which they benefit”.

Explaining further, the Governor said, “they use the roads, their children use the schools, their wives use the markets, they use water, they enjoy the benefits of the security that we provide”, adding that people should not get emotional about the issue.

Acknowledging that the Constitution exempted churches from taxation, the governor pointed out that the courts has ruled at a time that if a church has property which it rents out and from which it earns income, it should pay tax from such earnins, adding “I also want to make the point clearly, we did not make the law. It is a Federal Government law, but it is a law that we are empowered to implement just like the Income Tax Law.”

Debunking the allegation that the plan was targeted at a particular religion, Governor Fashola declared, “I cannot even successfully do it. Here I am, a Muslim, my father is a Muslim, my mother is Anglican, my wife is Catholic and my siblings are of the pentecostal faith”, adding that the issue must be separated from sentiment and emotion.

Advising any aggrieved person to seek redress formally through the courts, Governor Fashola, however, instructed the agencies of government responsible for implementing the law to be civil and humane.

“We will not always be in the places when the law is being implemented. We urge our officers to act in the most civil and humane manner to ensure that people comply”, he advised.

for SOURCE: Click here
Re: No Plan To Impose Taxes On Churches by donnie(m): 9:07pm On Jun 01, 2009
I understsnd the catholic Archbishop gave his full support to this plan of government.

Well let them go ahead, they're only up for some pleasant surprises.

My question remains. What if the preacher earns no salary from his work? Will they begin to work with estimates smiley

That is when we will know what and who their target actaully is. Because there are some i know who earn no monthly salary from the church.

They preach faith, they live by faith.

What i have always said, i will repeat: let them who have understanding of the Word and of the times pray. Let them pray for the church, for our country

Nigreria and for our leaders.

(1) (Reply)

A "god" We All Worship / Justice What Is It? / Christian International Revolution Seminar 2009 @ Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.