Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,553 members, 7,812,763 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. (990 Views)

Sheriff’s Reinstatement, Rape On Democracy – Fayose / The Reinstatement Of Notorious Zakari Biu By PM News Editorial / PDP Apologizes To Zakari Biu , Says His Reinstatement Followed Due Process (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by lolzzzz: 4:47pm On Dec 09, 2015
I know all these is just for the purpose of copying the western world and generating more revenue. But if we should look at it the other way round. What is the minimum wage of Nigerian workers that will make you want to still force taxes out of their anus? If we must copy other countries then we must also copy their minimum wage package in other not to further impoverish the masses. Look at the minimum wages of countries we are trying to copy

France 1457.52euros= N318,103.74
Spain 756.70= N165,149.76
UK 1378.87= N300,938.38
Andorra 962 euros= N209,956.5

Etc

Nigeria N18,000
How much money do they give that will warrant them to want to take back, even south Africa pay their workers far above Nigeria.
Can you see the margin? Why can't our government also copy their minimum wage pattern? Even with the peanut they give to workers they still want to impoverish them the more via toll fee. Fashola never bring policies that will favour the poor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:50pm On Dec 09, 2015
undecided
Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by EasternLeopard: 4:53pm On Dec 09, 2015
To add to your points

Allowances have been removed

This has made peoples pockets lean
Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by DuchessLily(f): 5:01pm On Dec 09, 2015
Confused govt

1 Like

Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by wachakuta(m): 5:05pm On Dec 09, 2015
Eve single step dis govt takes... u come and show us dat it is negative

Pls contest for d next election abeg
Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by lolzzzz: 5:09pm On Dec 09, 2015
wachakuta:
Eve single step dis govt takes... u come and show us dat it is negative

Pls contest for d next election abeg
the government should stop being greedy, you cannot revive the economy of the nation at the expense of the of the workers that will pay the toll fee. I'm not against the toll fee, but we should also consider improving the livelihood of our workers. They want to copy toll fee without copying improved minimum wage, yeye government.

2 Likes

Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by wachakuta(m): 5:12pm On Dec 09, 2015
lolzzzz:
the government should stop being greedy, you cannot revive the economy of the nation at the expense of the economy of the workers that will pay the toll fee. I'm not against the toll fee, but we should also consider improving the livelihood of our workers. They want to copy toll fee without copying improved minimum wage, yeye government.
As I said u can do it better dan d govt

Just come out nd contest... me will personally vote for u wink
Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by jumboo: 5:14pm On Dec 09, 2015
CALIFORNIA TOLLS

17-Mile Drive Toll: $10
Operator: Pebble Beach Corporation

Golden Gate Bridge Toll: $6.00 (Southbound ONLY)
Location: Spans San Francisco Bay connecting San Francisco to Marin County, CA
Operator: Golden Gate Bridge, Highway & Transportation District

Riverside Freeway (SR-91) Toll: Variable
Location: An east-west freeway in Southern California linking Orange and Riverside counties
Operator: Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA)

Eastern Transportation Corridor Toll: $3.50 (East Branch) $3.25 (West Branch)
Operator: Foothill/Eastern Transportation Corridor Agency

South Bay Expressway Toll: Variable
Location: Beginning at Otay Mesa, provides access to/from Mexico and across San Diego
Operator: South Bay Expressway, L.P.

The Antioch Bridge Toll: $5.00 (Northbound ONLY)
Location: Spans the San Joaquin River linking Antioch, CA with Sacramento County, CA
Operator: Bay Area Toll Authority Metropolitan Transportation Commission

The Benicia-Martinez Bridge Toll: $5.00 (Northbound ONLY)
Location: Spans the Carquinez Strait linking Benicia, CA to Martinez, CA

The Carquinez Bridge Toll: $5.00
Length: Annual Traffic: 46,206,000
Operator: Bay Area Toll Authority Metropolitan Transportation Commission www.bata.mtc.ca.gov/

The Dumbarton Bridge Toll: $5.00 (Westbound ONLY)
Location: Spans the San Francisco Bay linking Fremont, CA with Menlo Park, CA

The Richmond-San Rafael Bridge Toll: $5.00 (Westbound ONLY)
Location: Spans the San Francisco Bay connecting Richmond, CA to San Rafael, CA

The San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge Toll: $6.00 (Westbound ONLY)
Location: Spans San Francisco Bay linking Oakland, CA to San Francisco, CA

The San Mateo-Hayward Bridge Toll: $5.00 (Westbound ONLY)
Location: Spans San Francisco Bay linking San Francisco with San Mateo, CA

These is a sample toll fare in a state in USA. The cheapest fare @ $3.50 is 7 times the fare on Lekki Expressway @ 120 naira. I admit things are difficult in Nigeria now. However, Nigerians should know that tolls are unavoidably considering the high cost of road maintenance. Additionally, the payment of tolls will ensure that Nigerians demand accountability over the state of their roads. I won't pay toll on a dead road.

2 Likes

Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by lolzzzz: 5:17pm On Dec 09, 2015
jumboo:

These is a sample toll fare in a state in USA. The cheapest fare @ $3.50 is 7 times the fare on Lekki Expressway @ 120 naira. I admit things are difficult in Nigeria now. However, Nigerians should know that tolls are unavoidably considering the high cost of road maintenance. Additionally, the payment of tolls will ensure that Nigerians demand accountability over the state of their roads. I won't pay toll on a dead road.
all these toll have alternative route for those that can't afford to ply the road and besides their minimum wage is 20times that of nigeria.
Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by Ovamboland(m): 5:49pm On Dec 09, 2015
lolzzzz:
I know all these is just for the purpose of copying the western world and generating more revenue. But if we should look at it the other way round. What is the minimum wage of Nigerian workers that will make you want to still force taxes out of their anus? If we must copy other countries then we must also copy their minimum wage package in other not to further impoverish the masses. Look at the minimum wages of countries we are trying to copy

France 1457.52euros= N318,103.74
Spain 756.70= N165,149.76
UK 1378.87= N300,938.38
Andorra 962 euros= N209,956.5

Etc

Nigeria N18,000
How much money do they give that will warrant them to want to take back, even south Africa pay their workers far above Nigeria.
Can you see the margin? Why can't our government also copy their minimum wage pattern? Even with the peanut they give to workers they still want to impoverish them the more via toll fee. Fashola never bring policies that will favour the poor.

I hope you are also aware that the Nigerian government tax and fees collections is one of the lowest in the world at about 4 - 5 % of GDP while South Africa is 16% and above of GDP. Both the rich and not so rich generally avoid paying appropriate taxes in Nigeria. A situation were New York state budget $120 Billion for it's 24 million residents while Nigerian FG cannot find $25 billion to spend in a year on it's 170 million people can never be healthy or give us good life even with Buhari's famed integrity.

Even with best efforts of Fowler, FIRS boss, i don't see the government able to extract more than $50 - 60 from this economy which is still paltry to deliver the kind of infrastructure to support our population. It shows there is still more work to be done by everyone if we really hope to get the bullet trains, modern highways, and good hospitals we desire so much.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by Ovamboland(m): 6:01pm On Dec 09, 2015
lolzzzz:
all these toll have alternative route for those that can't afford to ply the road and besides their minimum wage is 20times that of nigeria.

There is alternative also in some places just that you want to ply the highways free of charge. If your destination from Lagos is Ibadan for instance, you can go through Ikorodu to Sagamu or Ijebu-Ode and link the back road to Ibadan without merging with the expressway. Another alternative is Sango Otta to Ifo on to Abeokuta to Apata-Ibadan. As far as i know these alternative roads were never tolled.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by Gazzy88(m): 6:58pm On Dec 09, 2015
Ovamboland:

There is alternative also in some places just that you want to ply the highways free of charge. If your destination from Lagos is Ibadan for instance, you can go through Ikorodu to Sagamu or Ijebu-Ode and link the back road to Ibadan without merging with the expressway. Another alternative is Sango Otta to Ifo on to Abeokuta to Apata-Ibadan. As far as i know these alternative roads were never tolled.
lagos-abeokuta was tolled also or haven't you heard of toll-gate along that road before?
Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by fistonati(m): 7:00pm On Dec 09, 2015
Forget d take its corruption
Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by adconline(m): 8:04pm On Dec 09, 2015
jumboo:

Minimum wage in California is $9 per hr= N2000 while Naija minimum wage is N18k which is about N900 per work day.. Btw roads in CA were first built before mounting tolls, but in Naija, roads aren't built and the govt is talking about installing tolls before building roads.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by adconline(m): 8:08pm On Dec 09, 2015
Gazzy88:
lagos-abeokuta was tolled also or haven't you heard of toll-gate along that road before?
That's one of the worst roads in Naija. Build the roads first and reintroduce till after u have eliminated gas tax.
Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by chemali: 8:10pm On Dec 09, 2015
adconline:

That's one of the worst roads in Naija. Build the roads first and reintroduce till after u have eliminated gas tax.

Gas tax does not exist. And no where did Fashola say he was introducing tolls on roads that are bad!!!! He talked about tolls for maintenance, not construction

1 Like

Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by adconline(m): 8:18pm On Dec 09, 2015
chemali:

Gas tax does not exist. And no where did Fashola say he was introducing tolls on roads that are bad!!!! He talked about tolls for maintenance, not construction
OBJ eliminated tolls and introduced fuel tax.. Read up!!
Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by chemali: 8:20pm On Dec 09, 2015
adconline:

OBJ eliminated tolls and introduced fuel tax.. Read up!!

He did eliminate tolls and introduced fuel tax. However, this has been eliminated. Unfortunately, I don't know what year it was elminated. But going as far back as 2012, there is no fuel tax in the PPPRA pricing template. Read up too!!!

You can read this link for clarity: http://businessnews.com.ng/2013/01/25/ferma-petition-fg-to-release-5-fuel-tax-to-fix-roads/

It was never implemented.

2 Likes

Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by stevecantrell: 8:57pm On Dec 09, 2015
The Fashola effect will not help PMB's govt in these dry times. He had better veto this.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Reinstatement Of Toll Fee In Nigeria. by Ovamboland(m): 10:56pm On Dec 09, 2015
Gazzy88:

So that leaves the Ikorodu-Sagamu route as alternative

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Appoints Bukar-Abba As Ag. Chairman Of Federal Character Commission / Buhari's Death Squad Invades Rivers Community Of Onelga In ’20 Military Truck / Mrs Aisha Buhari Unveils NLNG Tanker In South Korea - PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.