Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,695 members, 7,820,428 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

Who Drives Manual? - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Who Drives Manual? (4551 Views)

Salvage King. Vehicles That Runs And Drives Only Pre-order From USA today! / 406 Right Hand Drives 97,98,99,00,01,02,03, CAMRY 97,98,99 PENCIL LIGHT / Manual Drives Vs Automatic Drives In Cars: Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Drives Manual? by boladez(m): 6:43am On Jun 26, 2007
I won't be caught DEAD or ALIVE driving an auto!!!!!! I can't ever divorce my MANUAL!!!!!! I play with the gears with so much ease. My wife drives an auto and she enjoys it like the white man enjoys cigarettes

I have this erroneous belief Autos are for the PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED!!!!!! In my village we call it MOTO ARO - The car for handicaps!!!!!!!!! grin
Re: Who Drives Manual? by BlackHawk(m): 7:05am On Jun 26, 2007
Hi,
Each type of transmission have their place. It seems that most taxis in North America are automatic. Why? because with a number of different drivers and city traffic, it has been found they are cheaper to operate (fewer repairs). Also, you find that city buses are automatic as well.
Also, if one checks out the specifications, you will find the the manufacturer specifications for towing are higher with automatics than standard. On my Nissan, a standard is rated at 3500 lbs and an auto is rated at 5000 lbs towing capacity.
Most of us males, think we are the best drivers in the world, but in reality that is not always the case is it? So for one that is not really familiar with the manual trans, it can get quite expensive to repair. (burn out a clutch, or miss a shift once too often, and see).
Regards.
Re: Who Drives Manual? by dakmanzero(m): 9:04am On Jun 26, 2007
North American roads are different from Nigerian roads. Autos will need less maintenance because they will shift a lot less.

Naija roads cause more frequent shifts due to a variety of reasons.

I dont have this on authority, but i will hazard a guess thta a manuf will rate a manual lower in order to account for the drivers' tendency to shift incorrectly when towing.
Re: Who Drives Manual? by Esss(m): 11:19am On Jun 26, 2007
I wouldnt buy an auto even if it were on sale, Those cars are for girls, (no disrespect to the ladies). I love my manual trans, anyday
Re: Who Drives Manual? by sleekdot(m): 6:55am On Jun 27, 2007
i drive aoto but started with a manual.auto is so easy to drive all you have to do is control the wheels
Re: Who Drives Manual? by eteski(m): 10:35am On Jun 27, 2007
Hmmn, I drive a nissan sunny MANUAL. I ve been driving manuals all my life.
Awhile ago a friend of mine got  a Honda Hennesey I drove it and i ve been trying to sell my car ever since.
Re: Who Drives Manual? by Mustay(m): 3:10am On Jun 28, 2007
@ boladez you funny O!
Re: Who Drives Manual? by HCH3COO: 7:22pm On Jul 20, 2008
The thrill of manliness is something to behold.
Re: Who Drives Manual? by darqly(m): 7:28pm On Jul 20, 2008
Manual tranny for me, and my car's name is "CHRISTINE", grin
Re: Who Drives Manual? by HCH3COO: 8:09pm On Jul 20, 2008
mwahaha
Re: Who Drives Manual? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 20, 2008
Both my cars are manual, I passed my test in a manual too.

Don't like self shifters, though in my line of work, I drive all sorts.
Re: Who Drives Manual? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 20, 2008
BlackHawk:

Hi,
Each type of transmission have their place. It seems that most taxis in North America are automatic. Why? because with a number of different drivers and city traffic, it has been found they are cheaper to operate (fewer repairs). Also, you find that city buses are automatic as well.
Also, if one checks out the specifications, you will find the the manufacturer specifications for towing are higher with automatics than standard. On my Nissan, a standard is rated at 3500 lbs and an auto is rated at 5000 lbs towing capacity.
Most of us males, think we are the best drivers in the world, but in reality that is not always the case is it? So for one that is not really familiar with the manual trans, it can get quite expensive to repair. (burn out a clutch, or miss a shift once too often, and see).
Regards.

You've got things the wrong way round!

A manual's pretty much maintenance free, the same can't be said for an auto.
I'm an automobile engineer by profession, and very, very rarely will a manual transmission give problems.

You mentioned clutches - clutches should last the lifetime of the car, current life expectancy of a car is 10 years.
My car has covered 212,000 miles, and is 12 years old, still on its original clutch and gearbox.

An auto can fail, even with the most sympathetic of drivers, and with regular maintenance.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Toks Toyota Lexus GX 470 05 Fulloptinsss 3.8m 08061311315 08028612026 / Sold! Sold!! Sold!!! Reg. Toyota Corolla 04 For Sale @ 1m / USED 08-014 BENZ S350/S500/S550...011 Lexus Lx570...09 Acura MDX (4d Chairmen)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.