Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,307 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? (790 Views)

What Do You Think About Newspapers In This Era Of Social Media? / Why Do Nairalanders Tag Lalasticlala With Snakes? / Do Nairalanders Get Any Reward For Hitting FP And Being FTC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? by Nobody: 10:01am On Dec 10, 2015
Do Nairalanders still buy newspapers?

I've always wanted to ask this question but I thought it might sound silly. However, this morning, I had to take the step to avoid wallowing in ignorance.

On my way to the office today, I saw a couple of vendors rushing to sell newspapers to potential buyers. I was almost very sure nobody was going to patronize them but to my surprise, a lot of people actually did, and that got me wondering; could it be that they just don't have access to the Internet? I believe one could get virtually every information online even as they are happening and more so, from different sources. Even the papers are online too.

Why do people still go for newspapers even in the "developed" countries, is it a matter of preference or lack of access to the Internet or does the print media have some advantages over online media? Is there a possibility that newspapers will eventually phase out?

I've never been a newspaper person but each time I see people purchasing papers, I wonder if I'm missing out on something...

Please, enlighten me.
Re: Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? by xreal: 10:03am On Dec 10, 2015
Newspaper reading can be termed as an old practice, especially with the advent of internet.

However, 'the feel' reading Newspaper is quite different from reading news on a device via the internet.

As for me, the older- the better.
What I read from prints media sinks and stays longer with me.

I read on screen for leisure all times.

indirectly, I come to Nairaland at leisure for pleasure .
Re: Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? by ojeota(f): 10:07am On Dec 10, 2015
I was wandering So too. But i think people especially the older ones prefers hard copy to soft copy maybe due to convinence and eye related problems.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? by Nobody: 10:08am On Dec 10, 2015
ojeota:

I was wandering So too. But i think people especially the older ones Lobes hard copy to soft copy maybe due to convinence and eye related problems.

Most probably.

It won't be wrong then to say that newspapers are for the old, right?
Re: Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? by ojeota(f): 10:17am On Dec 10, 2015
BornSad:

Most probably.

It won't be wrong then to say that newspapers are for the old, right?

Yeah

1 Like

Re: Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? by ayinde2ade(m): 10:17am On Dec 10, 2015
ojeota:
I was wandering So too. But i think people especially the older ones Lobes hard copy to soft copy maybe due to convinence and eye related problems.
yes dat must be reason

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? by pcoolioz(m): 10:18am On Dec 10, 2015
I think there are some stuffs not necessarily news related that you tend to find only in newspapers.
obituaries, change of names, wanted folks, some specific kind of adverts and even some job opportunities that you won't find online.
I used to wonder aswell but seems there are somethings you cannot take away from papers.
Re: Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? by Nobody: 10:19am On Dec 10, 2015
xreal:

Interesting..... undecided
Re: Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 10, 2015
pcoolioz:

I think there are some stuffs not necessarily news related that you tend to find only in newspapers.
obituaries, change of names, wanted folks, some specific kind of adverts and even some job opportunities that you won't find online.
I used to wonder aswell but seems there are somethings you cannot take away from papers.
Well, maybe true.

But have you forgotten that even these papers are online too just the way they are printed and even more? undecided
Re: Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? by Nobody: 10:27am On Dec 10, 2015
xreal:

Newspaper reading can be termed as an old practice, especially with the advent of internet.

However, 'the feel' reading Newspaper is quite different from reading news on a device via the internet.

As for me, the older- the better.
What I read from prints media sinks and stays longer with me.

I read on screen for leisure all times.

indirectly, I come to Nairaland at leisure for pleasure .

Lol @ bolded

Yeah, maybe it is just a matter of preference for you cause those things you read on papers can also be seen online exactly the way they are.
Re: Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? by xreal: 10:54am On Dec 10, 2015
BornSad:

Lol @ bolded

Yeah, maybe it is just a matter of preference for you cause those things you read on papers can also be seen online exactly the way they are.

Yes, me.

I read the same characters, but the screen stands like a barrier between me and the texts
Flipping through the pages of the large-sized Newspaper itself gives me swag a good feel.
Re: Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? by Nobody: 10:58am On Dec 10, 2015
xreal:

Yes, me.

I read the same characters, but the screen stands like a barrier between me and the texts
Flipping through the pages of the large-sized Newspaper itself gives me swag a good feel.

Hehe... Makes you feel like, "Yeah, I have finally arrived".

Cool... Newspaper vendors pin their hopes on the likes of you.
Re: Do Nairalanders Still Buy Newspapers? by xreal: 11:04am On Dec 10, 2015
BornSad:

Hehe... Makes you feel like, "Yeah, I have finally arrived".

Cool... Newspaper vendors pin their hopes on the likes of you.

grin

(1) (Reply)

Hurray...its My Birthday..... / PHOTO: Masquerade Withdrawing Money From ATM Machine In Shagamu / Vote For The Nigeria Top 20 ON NIGEZIE TV| Week 13, 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.