Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,852 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? (3713 Views)

Is Anything Better Than The Netbeans Ide? / Rotating A Jlabel Using Netbeans / Netbeans Vs Eclipse Vs Jboss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by richness(m): 12:24pm On Oct 20, 2006
If you program in Java, what IDE do you use between Eclipse and Netbeans?

Which do you prefer, think is better and why?
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by waleoau(m): 12:55pm On Oct 20, 2006
i would go for netbeans anyday anytime, it is richer than eclipse. i wonder why IBM venture into software, they a hardware company and i think they are good at that.
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by kengimel(m): 1:59pm On Oct 20, 2006
Well i have been using both netbeans and eclipse for like a year now and i finally dropped netbeans.

netbeans is good no doubt

but eclipse is better!!!!!!!

Why

Eclipse plugin Tech backgound is unbeatable and aids system life span and performance.

Eclipse has c++, php, j2ee uml and many others i think u need to delve in more into eclipse.
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by waleoau(m): 2:25pm On Oct 20, 2006
>> kengimel
you must have left netbeans for a long time. netbeans has plug in for c++ (cos i also use c++), full J2EE support and nuerous others e.g. mobile, enterprise etc. even sun recomends netbeans for starters in java. above all, it is so easy to use, far nore easier than eclipse
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by sbucareer(f): 2:50pm On Oct 20, 2006
wale_oau: i would go for netbeans anyday anytime, it is richer than eclipse. i wonder why IBM venture into software,  they a hardware company and i think they are good at that.

Remember that IBM (international Business Machine) run compatible software on their Pc called OS/2. If you work for IBM or have a friend that works for IBM she/he will tell you that IBM do not use any other software except IBM software i.e. OS is OS/2, Database is DB2, IDE is Eclipse etc.

IBM do not use Microsoft software or any other software, all software they used are developed by them. All there Pc hardware from Pc to Server are designed and developed by them.

Before Microsoft EVER thought of OS (operating System) IBM has been in the game. Remember that Bill Gates worked for IBM for three years before convincing them to try VB code on their new Altra hardware that later became IBM-Pc compatible computer we use today. IBM are not only giant hardware provider they also provide software. Most of the hardware used FTSE are not run by Microsoft but IBM, fact.

kengimel:
Well i have been using both netbeans and eclipse for like a year now and i finally dropped netbeans.

netbeans is good no doubt

but eclipse is better!!!!!!!

Why

Eclipse plugin Tech background is unbeatable and aids system life span and performance.

Eclipse has c++, php, j2ee uml and many others i think u need to delve in more into eclipse.

I feel you. The most powerful IDE on earth today is the Eclipse, cost IBM $6.4 billion dollars and later submitted to open source community to use. The main power of eclipse is it Plug-in feature and crossplatform independence. The way you can plug-in UML and other model-driven application to work seamlessly as one integrated application is the power of eclipse.

Although, I don't use eclipse, it makes my argument flawed, I use netbean and like the infrastructure and it Java base components. But if you argue academically or technically in relation to productivity using Eclipse is more powerful to netbeans.
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by naija4life(f): 3:30pm On Oct 20, 2006
sorry guys, i think i entered the wrong forum, good debate though
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by kengimel(m): 3:58pm On Oct 20, 2006
wale_oau:

>> kengimel
you must have left netbeans for a long time. netbeans has plug in for c++ (because i also use c++), full J2EE support and nuerous others e.g. mobile, enterprise etc. even sun recomends netbeans for starters in java. above all, it is so easy to use, far nore easier than eclipse

well wale u left out php python and many others

"IDES" they are all propelling towards the same goal easy and faster App Dev.

Basically if i wanted to develop an "IDE" the currently existing ones would be the challenge to beat .

i believe this what we is the main focal point.

eclipse or netbeans my own is more functionality its point and that is (OPEN SOURCE "ECLIPSE"wink.
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by richness(m): 4:36pm On Oct 20, 2006
well, i have always wondered why eclipse installers are so large 120 MB (zip file) why net beans is just Over 40MB
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by bioye(m): 5:09pm On Oct 20, 2006
I prefer Eclipse. For one, it is a faster IDE, better looking. Now, talk about productivity, refactoring, available plugins and Netbeans is just a non-starter! I keep trying it when people say it's now the best and i'm always dissappointed. Maybe it's great for people doing swing or j2me development. But for enterprise java, Eclipse all the way.

Eclipse install is that large because it supports so many features. But you can get a smaller download if you know exactly what you want by making the right selections on the eclipse.org website.
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by gbengaijot(m): 8:56pm On Oct 20, 2006
ok, i am new to java, infact its the first module "OOP using Java" in my second year in UNI. We are using BlueJIDE. Is that any as good as netbeans or eclipse?
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by my2cents(m): 11:14pm On Oct 20, 2006
I am not a JAVA coder but those I know who are, swear by IntelliJ. My assumption is that it probably isn't that popular cos it has to be purchased, as opposed to Eclipse, say, which is basically free (well, unless you want to dabble with myEclipse wink)
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by candylips(m): 11:41pm On Oct 20, 2006
eclipse all the way smiley
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by sbucareer(f): 12:53am On Oct 21, 2006
@my2cent:

I am not a JAVA coder but those I know who are, swear by IntelliJ.  My assumption is that it probably isn't that popular because it has to be purchased, as opposed to Eclipse, say, which is basically free (well, unless you want to dabble with myEclipse )

IntelliJ is probably a good IDE. There is industry IDE for big project and commercial IDE for small and medium project. I have not used IntelliJ and have not really capture its essence in the IT community.

What you have to understand is that Eclipse and Netbeans are industrial IDE, they have features many of us don't use as we do not need it. Like the CVS, Peer Review, Refactoring, Model-driven testing, agile methodology like JUnit, Code synchronization, Quality monitoring, connecting to a central server, documenta, etc.

These are just few I can remember. If you work in a project you just don't have your code sitting on your machine. You have to send it to a central server, hence checkin and checkout. Other people have to review your code and many more server side things you can do with these IDE.

You have to write a JDT for plugin platform to virtually plugin all your in house software with eclipse. You can even write a plugin to integrate intelliJ into eclipse as one application that is how powerful eclipse is.
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by bioye(m): 6:38am On Oct 21, 2006
gbengaijot:

ok, i am new to java, infact its the first module "OOP using Java" in my second year in UNI. We are using BlueJIDE. Is that any as good as netbeans or eclipse?

BlueJ was specifically designed for teaching Java and is used in many American universities so I think you are still on track. Eclipse could require some configuration atimes especially with plugins so unless you are ready to do some tweaking, you might as well master the basics with blueJ first before venturing to Eclipse. For more involved programming, Eclipse should definitely be better than BlueJ.

my2cents:

I am not a JAVA coder but those I know who are, swear by IntelliJ. My assumption is that it probably isn't that popular because it has to be purchased, as opposed to Eclipse, say, which is basically free (well, unless you want to dabble with myEclipse wink)

Personally, I believe IntelliJ IDEA is arguably the best IDE in the market. It has consistently received top ratings in the IDE arena. Though it's not free, it's quite [b]affordable [/b]and it also has an [b]evaluation [/b]version. So, if I were you, I'll download IntelliJ IDEA and Eclipse and compare them for myself. Eclipse probably comes a close 2nd. I use Eclipse because it's free and because I have virtually limitless choice of features via plugins.
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by my2cents(m): 10:39am On Oct 21, 2006
Disclaimer: Again, I am not a JAVA coder, however, I work hand-in-hand with them and dare say I know a thing or two about it cool

I work for a company that is presently worth $500million. Now before you conclude that of course we can afford to spend money however we deem fit, let me quickly add that we also have a knack for spending the least amount of dollars possible. You can call us misers, in essence.

In January, by demand, the company did some research when it came to IDEs. After a while, they came back with 3 top contenders: IntelliJ, Eclipse and one other one I can't remember. Now, the last 2 were free and top contenders. However, after careful consideration, IntelliJ was picked and that is what we will be using, all 50 of us, come January 2007. It came so highly recommended that our CIO decided it was worth the cost, when it came to licenses (I believe $2000 per license).

For what I do, I probably won't really get to appreciate IntelliJ. After all, I use HomeSite presently. Having said that, when someone or some company invests in the research and though the results conclude what goes against the policy of that company/person but they go for it anyway, then that says a lot.

Of course, it all depends on where you are as a business. If you are a small outfit, IntelliJ may be too expensive for what you need to do. At the end of the day, one man's meat is another's poison.

As always (and I haven't said this in a while grin), my 2 cents.
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by Bossman(m): 2:03am On Oct 22, 2006
I am a consultant and have worked at several client's site. The IDE used at every single place I have been is eclipse/websphere. Well the development environmet is actually websphere (WSAD). As we all know, eclipse is based on websphere. It's the free version of websphere. For my personal development I also use eclipse. We also need to be careful when trying to determine which IDE is preferred. Obviously, the free IDE's will be more popular. So, I am not surprised that eclipse is the more popular.
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by flyKUDE(m): 5:15pm On Oct 22, 2006
@kengimel
good to know you reside in Abuja!
i stay in abj too,and have just started learning java, for the past two months to be specific.
i'd like to have materials from you,if you have to speed up my learning.
and i'll be most pleased too,if we can have an hour or two with you so i can have some of my questions answered.thanks in anticipation to your favourable reply. cool
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by naijafan(m): 5:01pm On Oct 24, 2006
according to recent polls and stress test of various IDEs, eclipse and netbeans scored the following points

usage
microsoft vs.net - 31.7 (highest)
eclipse - 11.2 (third)
netbeans - 4.6 (sixth)

compiler/interpreter
borland delphi - 181 (highest)
eclipse - 142 (fourth)
netbeans - 110 (seventh)

debugger
borland delphi - 129 (highest)
netbeans - 81 (sixth)
eclipse - 78 (eight)

editor
microsoft vs.net - 159 (highest)
elipse - 138 (second)
netbeans - 96 (ninth)

make/build function
IBM rational dev - 128.9 (highest)
eclipse - 80 (seventh)
netbeans - 57 (tenth)

documentation
IBM rational developer - 61 (highest)
netbeans - 19 (seventh)
eclipse - (-40) (eleventh - last) wow! eclipse really messed up in quality of documentation

performance of resulting apps
borland delphi - 132 (highest)
netbeans - 92 (fourth)
eclipse - 61 (eleventh - last)

ease of use
borland delphi - 150 (highest)
netbeans - 82 (sixth)
eclipse - 47 (eight)

ability to integrate third party tools
eclipse - 120 (highest)
netbeans - 15 (tenth)

availability of third party tools
eclipse - 105 (highest)
netbeans - 2 (tenth)

last two points, probably the reason why adobe chose eclipse as base IDE for flex builder.

tech support quality
IBM rational dev - 58 (highest)
netbeans - 2 (tenth)
eclipse - (-42) (eleventh - last) again?!

quality and size of developer community
Microsoft vs.net - 147 (highest)
eclipse - 144 (second)
netbeans - 58 (eight)

Eclipse is as much a phenomenon as it is an IDE. It is wildly popular among Java developers and Open Source developers alike, and now that it supports languages other than Java, we expect its raging popularity to swell even faster. Eclipse has been called the “killer app” of open source development tools and its market share is increasing constantly. No doubt one of the reasons for its huge success is its business model. The main core of the Eclipse IDE provides only basic functions and acts as a base for plug-ins. These plug-ins are what has taken the industry by storm as more and more independent software vendorss and open source developers create and extend Eclipse plug-ins.

NetBeans began in 1997 as an IDE and platform for Java and it was bought by Sun Microsystems in 1999. Sun Open-Sourced the NetBeans IDE the following year. Since then, the NetBeans community has continued to grow. Applications are built on modules, and can be extended by adding new modules. Thus applications based on NetBeans can be easily extended by third-party developers. This is similar to the Eclipse model, and some say that Eclipse was IBM’s answer to NetBeans.
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by candylips(m): 9:26pm On Oct 24, 2006
can you supply us with a link to these poll
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by waleoau(m): 3:54pm On Oct 25, 2006
well, i still prefer netbeans and although it is slower than eclipse, it far more easier to use. (personal judgement). i am stuck with netbeans for now
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by lexfrosty: 6:38pm On Oct 27, 2006
i didn't read the whole thread but whatever SBU_career says i go with it grin
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by candylips(m): 1:54am On Oct 29, 2006
and why is that so you are a human being without your own personal opinion . Shame on you  angry
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by naijafan(m): 9:56am On Nov 01, 2006
lexfrosty, u don mess up!

@candylips, i had to pay to get the pdf. maybe cos it contained a real breakdown of all the IDEs, and they . . . wateva. I tried uploading it here but max attachment size is 200kb - the file's 38-something. som1 said god loves a cheerful giver, send me ur mail address.
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by waleoau(m): 11:03am On Nov 01, 2006
naijafan:

@candylips, i had to pay to get the pdf. maybe because it contained a real breakdown of all the IDEs, and they . . . whatever. I tried uploading it here but max attachment size is 200kb - the file's 38-something. som1 said god loves a cheerful giver, send me your mail address.

also send it to my box, walencr@gmail.com

thanks
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by maikiyau(m): 3:24pm On Nov 01, 2006
I need an java IDE i cannot afford one and i get interupted trying to download one thanks to Power Holding can anyone help me? smiley
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by richness(m): 4:33pm On Nov 01, 2006
maikiyau:

I need an java IDE i cannot afford one and i get interupted trying to download one thanks to Power Holding can anyone help me? smiley

well, if you are interested in netbeans. they give out free CD of their IDE. check
http://www.netbeans.org/about/cd-form.html
but you still need Java 5 (and above SDK) (i guess you can get one at otigba.

i have a copy of both the CD(i can spare this) and the SDK(i can't spare this) just reply this forum to contact me
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by prettysly(f): 10:52am On Nov 02, 2006
hi
am new to this topic and am interested

am a computer science student and i would like to learn about Java

cos am kind of lost here

someone should rescue me
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by Bossman(m): 11:36am On Nov 02, 2006
Where are you lost and exactly what do you need help with?

Netbeans and eclipse are both Integrated Development Environments(IDE's). They aid in developing applications. As a beginner, I would not even advice you to use any of these tools anyway. Textpad is a good text editor that also allows you to compile and run Java applications and applets. For more information on any of these things, or to download textpad, just google for it.

richness:

well, if you are interested in netbeans. they give out free CD of their IDE. check
http://www.netbeans.org/about/cd-form.html
but you still need Java 5 (and above SDK) (i guess you can get one at otigba.

i have a copy of both the CD(i can spare this) and the SDK(i can't spare this) just reply this forum to contact me

Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by prettysly(f): 11:49am On Nov 02, 2006
thanks Bossman

but that didnt help me at all
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by Bossman(m): 3:39pm On Nov 02, 2006
Well, if that did not help at all, then you need to state exactly what you need help with. You want to learn Java. Okay. Have you downoaled the JDK, do you already have a Java book, do you have any knowledge of programming language? You need to be more specific/constructive with your questions so that we know where you are coming from. I have no knowledge of your background or what you need help with.

prettysly:

thanks Bossman

but that didnt help me at all
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by prettysly(f): 11:37am On Nov 03, 2006
Hi Bossman

like i said am a computer science student and dont know programming very well

have done nothing in Java,i need a book that will teach me from the start like a tutorial book.

thank you so much for your concern

are you into computer too?
Re: Programming In Java: Eclipse Or Netbeans? by Bossman(m): 12:26pm On Nov 03, 2006
Okay.  You can download the java tutorial from sun's site. Download the JDK and start practicing. That's the best way to do it. Then if you have any specific questions, you can post to the forums for help.

Yes. I am an application developer. Have been doing it before Java even existed.  smiley

Good luck!

prettysly:

Hi Bossman

like i said am a computer science student and don't know programming very well

have done nothing in Java,i need a book that will teach me from the start like a tutorial book.

thank you so much for your concern

are you into computer too?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Add Scratch Card To Website To Check Result / Java Internship Full Time / The Best I.T Course To Study....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.