Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Who Earns More In Naija: The Application Developer Or Web Designer/develper - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Who Earns More In Naija: The Application Developer Or Web Designer/develper (1297 Views)

I Need A Social Network Developer Or Script Ilke Facebook / Developer Or Programmer Needed For Presthemes Site Editing / Do You Need An Investor, A Developer Or A Buyer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Earns More In Naija: The Application Developer Or Web Designer/develper by kambo(m): 1:49pm On Oct 20, 2006
in developed countries
web designer's are regarded as code monkeys by core developers
cuz of the inferiority of level of complexity a web designer has to face,
but in naija , it seems this downlooked folks are charging blood for their services.
talk of the millions u have to pay for a 'website' -
( website(naija) : some mindless hack slapped together by some experimental technophile
with mediocritic
easthetic appeal, basic functionality subpar international ranking)
Re: Who Earns More In Naija: The Application Developer Or Web Designer/develper by smartsoft(m): 1:02pm On Nov 03, 2006
thats naija 4 u
Re: Who Earns More In Naija: The Application Developer Or Web Designer/develper by my2cents(m): 10:59pm On Nov 04, 2006
Kambo,

As a web developer, I take offense to the statements you have put forth, whether or not they are yours. The fact is that, be it a windows app or an online app, the business rules don't make a lick of sense if there is no interface associated with it. It's, as I tell people, like a plane. It can be tricked out 7 ways from sunday, but without a pilot, it is not getting off the ground (unless of course it is an unmanned aircraft, but that's not my point wink).

Back to the issue at hand, based on what I have found out, I don't think naijans in naija are charging that much for a website, be it a regular site or an app. Prices I have heard (and blv me, I have asked lots cool) range from N15,000 to N80,000 *on average*. Only a people or 2 have charged (assuming they were telling me the truth) N1million or more. Granted, there are those who have put the web developer/designer to shame, the same though can be said of the app developer who has written bloated code, crappy code, or code that hasn't been unit tested. I keep telling pple that there is a science to web development. The problem is that not all appreciate who pple do until they get to know it from a distance, not from a 15,000 mile perspective.

Back to the statements you have made (because I just can't resist when someone talks without thinking cool), I will say this in conclusion: though the web designer/developer may be at the bottom of the food chain, without them, no web app would be what it is.

At the end of the day, when I go buying a book on amazon, all I care about is that the site downloads fast, I find the book I want, the purchasing/browsing process be pleasant and that the book gets to my doorstep. I could care less about the JAVA/PHP/JSP, etc that made it possible. Damn it, I just want the site to look good grin

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: Who Earns More In Naija: The Application Developer Or Web Designer/develper by ojchris(m): 10:07pm On Nov 07, 2006
Generally, I wod say most web designers in Nigeria are jokers and these jokers have circulated the idea that a website can

go for N15,000, making people not to appreciate ur intent of good quality service when u bill 60k or 80k. They do
understand that the sites at 15k generally down play their business or personal worth.

1 Like

Re: Who Earns More In Naija: The Application Developer Or Web Designer/develper by ojchris(m): 10:08pm On Nov 07, 2006
Generally, I wod say most web designers in Nigeria are jokers and these jokers have circulated the idea that a website can

go for N15,000, making people not to appreciate ur intent of good quality service when u bill 60k or 80k. They do not
understand that the sites at 15k generally down play their business or personal worth.
Re: Who Earns More In Naija: The Application Developer Or Web Designer/develper by techzone: 11:54am On Mar 31, 2008
I think earnings depend on your portfolio, quality of your work and professionalism. Don't let other people dull your shine.

Know your worth!

(1) (Reply)

Turnkey Adsense Ready Website / We Urgently Need A Creative Website Designer / New Facebook Comment Box on ur Mobile phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.