Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Biafra: Surprises From The North By Ochereome Nnanna - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra: Surprises From The North By Ochereome Nnanna (1228 Views)

Please, No 2019 For Buhari - By Ochereome Nnanna / Yes, Ndi Igbo, ‘go Home’ - By Ochereome Nnanna / Buhari And ‘The Change We Need’? - Ochereome Nnanna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra: Surprises From The North By Ochereome Nnanna by Mescopaul(m): 4:32pm On Dec 12, 2015
When the current agitations for Biafra by Igbo youth started under the platform of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB, most people did not take them serious.

This was probably because of the tepid, non-violent and purposeless posture that Barrister Ralph Uwazuruike’s Movement for the Actualisation of the Independent State of Biafra, MASSOB, struck in the past twenty or so years of its founding.

Apart from routinely mustering thousands of idle young men and women, moving in large columns of buses, planting Biafran flags here and there, occasionally having its leaders and members arrested and such inanities, MASSOB was essentially irrelevant as opposed to, say, the Yoruba Oodua People’s Congress, OPC, which acted as an alternative grassroots police/security outfit which had the confidence of the people.

MASSOB squatted on its haunches while kidnappers, armed robbers and all sorts of vile criminals had Igboland for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

IPOB, led by Nnamdi Kanu, came with a different weapon: fiery demagoguery spewed from the megaphones of Radio Biafra, a foreign-based pirate radio station, stroking the dormant chords of Igbo sentiments about their ever worsening conditions in their country, Nigeria, and telling them it is time to dump their fatherland for a dream independent Biafra.

Kanu’s messages are clearly meant to drive a wedge between the Igbos and other Nigerians. He calls Nigeria a “zoo”. As you know, it is animals that reside in zoos.

Naturally, the reactions to Nnamdi Kanu and his IPOB crowd are mixed among Nigerians. The Igbos share the sentiments Kanu and his IPOB are ventilating.

However, some, like me, do not think the answer lies in secession from our own fatherland into a Chimeric or Quixotic Republic of Biafra.

For that reason, we urge restraint, knowing that to eat a hot okra soup you need to be cool. But some are letting their emotions run away with them and are siding with the protesting youth.

Yet others hope, rather opportunistically, that “something” will come of it since it is through such hot-head antics that Nigeria gets to listen to its aggrieved citizens.

Our other Majority brothers were no less divided. Among the Yorubas, those stung by the acid rhetoric of Radio Biafra, naturally fire back. They dare IPOB to “start and see what will happen”, and those with an eye on Igbo property in Lagos simply ask them to “go”. The more matured and reasonable ones call for caution, toeing my line of thought viz: that running away to Biafra is not the answer.

We also note the disclaimers from the Itsekiri and Urhobo ethnic groups who have formally dissociated themselves from inclusion in the Biafra that agitators have been peddling with a map.

From the North, feelings are similarly mixed. I find the Northern angle of great interest, for the simple reason that it is the region that stands accused of creating the unsavoury atmosphere that breeds injustice and misrule, which spark periodic “self-determination” agitations in the country. The North, with the lion’s share of everything: landmass, population (real or contrived), is dominant politically.

When IPOB/MASSOB blockaded the River Niger Bridgehead at Onitsha and Asaba a fortnight ago and the army was used to kill some agitators and forcibly dislodge the thousands of youth from the main link between the South East/South-South and the rest of the country, some hoodlums seized the opportunity burn down a mosque and the residents of Onitsha who are of Northern origin had to flee to the various barracks for safety. This was a very testy moment.

Given the amount of vitriol that Radio Biafra and IPOB had raked I feared the Bridgehead incident could be the ugly turning point we all prayed should never come.

Within this period, IPOB had been calling on Igbos living in the North to relocate to Igboland. Some hitherto unknown Northern groups issued statements giving Igbos in the North two weeks to “leave”. They called on the Federal Government to “crack down” on the protests.

But some others were more matured and reasonable in their response. One of them that impressed me the most was a group known as North East Youth Peace Development Initiative, NEYPDI. Its National President, Alhaji Kyari Idris Abubakar, countermanded the “quit notices” and asked the Federal Government not to use force but employ dialogue as force “is not the best approach to handling the matter”.

Apart from the youth, the leadership of the North acted responsibly. The Chairman of the Northern Governors’ Forum, Governor Kassim Shettima of Borno State issued a press release calling on Northerners not to allow the Onitsha incident to “spillover” to the North.

Read full story:
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/biafra-surprises-from-the-north/

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Surprises From The North By Ochereome Nnanna by Babprosper20(m): 4:33pm On Dec 12, 2015
k
Re: Biafra: Surprises From The North By Ochereome Nnanna by jaymejate: 4:43pm On Dec 12, 2015
What! Full story after this full Novel? No way!
Re: Biafra: Surprises From The North By Ochereome Nnanna by Mescopaul(m): 4:48pm On Dec 12, 2015
jaymejate:
What! Full story after this full Novel? No way!

Hmm
Sorry sir, I actually ran out of clipboard space on my browser, I would have posted all.
The remaining part is just about 1000 characters and I didnt want my readers to loose the juices that part held.
Re: Biafra: Surprises From The North By Ochereome Nnanna by LieDetector(m): 11:56pm On Dec 12, 2015
Biafra
Re: Biafra: Surprises From The North By Ochereome Nnanna by Ugonnax: 12:43am On Dec 13, 2015
Another yoruba writer. You can tell
Re: Biafra: Surprises From The North By Ochereome Nnanna by Francis5: 12:50am On Dec 13, 2015
Ugonnax:

Seriously? If you do not know the writer, Nnanna Ochereone, from Abriba Abia State, then you must b e a kindergartener

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Surprises From The North By Ochereome Nnanna by Mescopaul(m): 11:31pm On Dec 14, 2015
Ugonnax:

Really?
What Yoruba man would have surname and first name as Igbo names, or what how do you recognise a Yoruba writer??

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Biafraudd Biafraudd Biafraudd... / 50 Naira Wise, Billion Naira Foolish!, By Reno Omokri / The Greatest Fraud Ever In Nigeria History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.