Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,613 members, 7,816,518 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria (1095 Views)

Apply For 2018 U.S. Mission Nigeria Teaching Excellence And Achievement Program / How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake / Microsoft Is Recruiting Senior Sales Excellence Manager (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by micronut(m): 8:14pm On Dec 12, 2015
"Education is not a way to escape poverty - It is a way of fighting it."Julius Nyerere, former President of the United Republic of Tanzania once said.

To further necessitates the value and importance of Education in a man's life, particularly in fighting extreme poverty and hunger, the United Nation explicitly involve "Education" as one of the 8 Cardinal key areas of the Millennium Development Goals (MDG).

Yes! in the past, Education is the easiest way to escape poverty in Nigeria and probably in the world over, but seems the situation has suddenly changed in this part of the world. Education alone made many of our Leaders, what they are today. Many enjoyed free tuition fee, free meal, free scholarship overseas, and in fact free jobs waiting before they graduate.

Now the story is no longer the same, those who are chasing books pants down now are usually saying "Had i know" after many years in the job market.

On graduation day, light envelopes of merely #20,000 are given to best graduating students and first class graduates through an archaic award price, awarded many decades ago and failed to be reviewed.

On graduation day, first class graduate becomes the cynosure of all eyes, the whole day is about him, the press are after him for a short interview of "How he or she made it against all odds".

Professorial accolades, plaques and handshakes without cash is all what many usually get. The future blinks, the father and mother sitting far on the chair are thinking may be their worries would be reduce, but hell no, it has just started.

Welcome to Nigeria, where the Illiterate driver mocks a university student by telling him "Go and Come back now, you would come and join us later".

Welcome to Nigeria, where a girl that won a University's Debate competition was given small cash and a laptop while the one that won a beauty contest got an exotic car.

Welcome to Nigeria where it would take 50 years, for a Senior Medical Consultant to make 180Million Naira. Yes, 50 good productive years. An average consultant in Nigeria earns 300K monthly, multiply that by 12months, what you get is 3.6M. 3.6million for 50years gives 180Million...

Smiles! that's what Linda Ikeji makes in 6month, that's what Davido's get for just few shows. In fact that's a small amount that our useless politicians give as tip-off for contracts. Small money they use to erect Mansions, Hotels and Petrol stations on our streets.

Hmn, the truth is that Education is no longer lucrative, no longer profitable, huge investment in it does not guarantees an equally huge yield. May be it safe to believe the word of Mark Twain, that says "Education is the path from a cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty".

Yes! take it or leave, academic brilliance is no longer enough to put food on the table, if you don't have parent that are ready to support you.

Dear Nigerian Youths, I leave you all, with the word of Jim Ron that says; "Formal education will only make you a living; but self-education will make you a fortune." Be guided!!!

Have a blessed Day.

CC: lalasticlala, seun, davide470, uboma, olawalebabs, Fynestboi and Richiez.

1 Share

Re: Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by Oxytocin(m): 8:33pm On Dec 12, 2015
Hmm,so true..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by winner01(m): 9:00pm On Dec 12, 2015
Nothing but the truth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by abdulslutsky(m): 9:12pm On Dec 12, 2015
You are right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by toprealman: 2:59am On Dec 13, 2015
Life can be unfair sometimes, should this make you give up?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:11am On Dec 13, 2015
This hit me where it hurts. Sad truth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by micronut(m): 7:53am On Dec 13, 2015
toprealman:
Life can be unfair sometimes, should this make you give up?

NO! The post is not preaching that, but admonishing folks to have a second plan or back up plan. Most of those stories of where you can work after school are sheer fantasy. You would be shock that many undergraduates are still casting hope in the air about one Multinational jobs, one oil company jobs and the likes... Yes, this jobs are there but only a handful few would take it. The more connected you are, the brighter your chances.. Once again, i would still tell them to be guided!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by toprealman: 8:10am On Dec 13, 2015
uthor=micronut post=40955402]

NO! The post is not preaching that, but admonishing folks to have a second plan or back up plan. Most of those stories of where you can work after school are sheer fantasy. You would be shock that many undergraduates are still casting hope in the air about one Multinational jobs, one oil company jobs and the likes... Yes, this jobs are there but only a handful few would take it. The more connected you are, the brighter your chances.. Once again, i would still tell them to be guided![/quote]Fact.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 13, 2015
unadulterated truth! Today`s youths should arm themselves with grand, herculean and colossal vision that is bigger and far outweigh themselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by micronut(m): 7:16pm On Dec 14, 2015
FxDuke:
unadulterated truth! Today`s youths should arm themselves with grand, herculean and colossal vision that is bigger and far outweigh themselves.

May God help us!
Re: Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by ggirl4real: 8:04am On Dec 16, 2015
Beautiful post...

It's getting to two months now since I received prizes as BGS in my faculty....I've gone to the school's cash office several times. They keep telling me "the money is not ready".

Na wa ooo

That 70k can settle some bills ooo.

I no give up ooo, I must collect my money ooo.
Re: Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by micronut(m): 7:49pm On Dec 17, 2015
ggirl4real:
Beautiful post...

It's getting to two months now since I received prizes as BGS in my faculty....I've gone to the school's cash office several times. They keep telling me "the money is not ready".

Na wa ooo

That 70k can settle some bills ooo.

I no give up ooo, I must collect my money ooo.

Can you imagine! Shameful on the part of a whole University. Have seen a friend, who is a University scholar that is presently leading a faculty too.

By provision, he is entitled to 90K and a free accommodation. Till today, he has not been given a dine.. He was a D.E student, meaning he is being owned 200L and 300L, now he is in 400L and no show of 180k (2 Academic sessions). They keep posting him, now the lie is about Buhari TSA account, from Exams Records to Bursary.

Sometimes i just can't imagine what message are our Leaders passing, even in Academics. No Moral! Why won't a first class graduate turn into cybercrime. It's frustrating!

Well i pity those presently in schools, particularly the poor/indigent and brilliants student. They are not making Academic Excellence, a thing to crave for at all. May God help us sha!
Re: Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by ggirl4real: 9:28pm On Dec 17, 2015
micronut:

Can you imagine! Shameful on the part of a whole University. Have seen a friend, who is a University scholar that is presently leading a faculty too.

By provision, he is entitled to 90K and a free accommodation. Till today, he has not been given a dine.. He was a D.E student, meaning he is being owned 200L and 300L, now he is in 400L and no show of 180k (2 Academic sessions). They keep posting him, now the lie is about Buhari TSA account, from Exams Records to Bursary.

Sometimes i just can't imagine what message are our Leaders passing, even in Academics. No Moral! Why won't a first class graduate turn into cybercrime. It's frustrating!

Well i pity those presently in schools, particularly the poor/indigent and brilliants student. They are not making Academic Excellence, a thing to crave for at all. May God help us sha!

God help us...
Re: Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by Shinelle(f): 10:34pm On Dec 17, 2015
" A handshake " pls edit....
Re: Academic Excellence For A Handshake: Case Of The Talented Vs Studious In Nigeria by micronut(m): 9:15am On Dec 18, 2015
Shinelle:
" A handshake " pls edit....
Smiles! thanks ma! I usually see both the usage in text and even in headlines/Captions but i guess the use of "a handshake" is more formal if not more correct. We keep learning everyday. Thanks!!

(1) (Reply)

Teaching Job At Magboro / Jobs At Merit Telecoms Nigeria / Daily Pay Menial Jobs For Short Time Purpose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.