Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:26 PM

Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks (8560 Views)

#bbnaija: Viral Video Of Tobi And Cee-c Making Love Under The Duvet Last Night / Photo Of Man Posing Inside A Casket Sparks Outrage On Social Media / Ikorodu Residents Palace Charm On Electric Pole To Avoid Disconnection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by pedrilo: 4:22am On Dec 15, 2015
Guys, this is very strange as I have never seen or heard about dis b4.

my duvet is an electric one!
I mean my sleeping blanket!

I traveled to dubai and got this lovely and soft duvet cos I know I'll need it dis period cos of cold.

But to my surprise, wen i'm sleepin under the cover of my new duvet/blanket, I hear some minor electric spark sounds n lightnings from my blanket sometin like disco lights around my blanket

Abeg who don see, hear or experience dis kind tin b4?

Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by chinchum(m): 4:26am On Dec 15, 2015
it happens during harmattan.

Were you born yesterday? grin

9 Likes

Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by pedrilo: 4:28am On Dec 15, 2015
Oh really? I neva knew, we learn everyday u know. Tnx anyway, pls hope it's not harmful? And wat is d cause of dis?
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by Nobody: 5:00am On Dec 15, 2015
pedrilo:
Oh really? I neva knew, we learn everyday u know. Tnx anyway, pls hope it's not harmful? And wat is d cause of dis?
Cause:
Static electricity.

Basically, static electricity occurs when a body becomes charged. A body becomes charged when it has an excess of electrons(tiny particles in atoms which make up molecules which make up matter). If the body doesn't conduct electricity(insulator), like your duvet for example, the duvet will have lots of electrons(charge)...

Where do these extra electrons/charge come from? The dry air which is harmattan. SO your duvet gets its charge, waits for a conductor to come along, which in this case happens to be your sexy body. It will try to neutralize itself, by discharging the extra electrons through your body.

As for the little sparks and sounds you hear...think of what's going as a mini replica of lightning and thunder during rainfall. Lightning is a visualization of what happens when static electricity builds up in cloud and the electrons try to cross over through the air. Thunder is caused by this effect.

Hope this wasn't too technical..

The shocks aren't fatal, at least, I have never heard of that. But if you feel uncomfortable, you can try rubbing a hanger(preferably a metal one) on your beddings/duvet before you get into bed.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by Juxtified(m): 6:05am On Dec 15, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Cause:
Static electricity.

Basically, static electricity occurs when a body becomes charged. A body becomes charged when electrons(tiny particles in atoms which make up molecules which make up matter). If the body doesn't conduct electricity(insulator), like your duvet for example, the duvet will have lots of electrons(charge)...

Where do these extra electrons/charge come from? The dry air which is harmattan. SO your duvet gets its charge, waits for a conductor to come along, which in this case is your sexy body. It will try to neutralize itself, by discharging the extra electrons through your body.

The shocks aren't fatal, at least, I have never heard of that. But if you feel uncomfortable, you can try rubbing a hanger(preferably a metal one) on your beddings/duvet before you get into bed.

Learnt a lot from that, thanks.
And yet some id.iots are against western education!

2 Likes

Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by seedgreen(m): 6:30am On Dec 15, 2015
where are you lalasticlala when needed most?
abeg push this educative thread to da fp

2 Likes

Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by Pangea: 6:54am On Dec 15, 2015
You take your money go buy death?
Electric blanket?
Infact you for go buy electric chair and strap yourself to it naa.
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by funkyibodude(m): 7:07am On Dec 15, 2015
The 3rd poster said it all, it's static electricity. Normally happens on silk materials when there's friction between it.
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by hmohammed(m): 7:10am On Dec 15, 2015
Pangea:
You take your money go buy death?
Electric blanket?
Infact you for go buy electric chair and strap yourself to it naa.
In every thread, a fool must emerge

3 Likes

Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by coldsummer: 7:11am On Dec 15, 2015
It's the season. All your fabrics that have traces of silk will do same.
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by pedrilo: 7:47am On Dec 15, 2015
funkyibodude:
The 3rd poster said it all, it's static electricity. Normally happens on silk materials when there's friction between it.
so u didnt learn anytin from the explanations given by other commenters b4 u? truly a fool has emerged.
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by pedrilo: 7:55am On Dec 15, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Cause:
Static electricity.

Basically, static electricity occurs when a body becomes charged. A body becomes charged when electrons(tiny particles in atoms which make up molecules which make up matter). If the body doesn't conduct electricity(insulator), like your duvet for example, the duvet will have lots of electrons(charge)...

Where do these extra electrons/charge come from? The dry air which is harmattan. SO your duvet gets its charge, waits for a conductor to come along, which in this case is your sexy body. It will try to neutralize itself, by discharging the extra electrons through your body.

very eloquent. thank u boss. i will continue flexin my lovely disco light emitting duvet lol

2 Likes

Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by nwolisar: 8:18am On Dec 15, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Cause:
Static electricity.

This son of Lucifer is a good Physicist. Just a lil to add, that is why most computer and mobile phone engrs will pay for frying up mother boards dis harmattan period if they dnt take care to discharge their bodies due to the charges already built up in their bodies from their clothes. All thanks to harmattan, am a victim already. Itz really a good thing to read and experience physics 1st hand.
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by Nobody: 9:41am On Dec 15, 2015
nwolisar:
This son of Lucifer is a good Physicist. Just a lil to add, that is why most computer and mobile phone engrs will pay for frying up mother boards dis harmattan period if they dnt take care to discharge their bodies due to the charges already built up in their bodies from their clothes. All thanks to harmattan, am a victim already. Itz really a good thing to read and experience physics 1st hand.
Thanks Bro, have a safe and merry Xmas. Sorry about your electronic board.
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by janvier27(m): 10:21am On Dec 15, 2015
Hmmm. Brainy scientists do have issues placing their paternity tongue And wait, merry Xmas?! There is hope, whether Xmas or Christmas grin
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by Excellent7(m): 10:27am On Dec 15, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Cause:
Static electricity.

Basically, static electricity occurs when a body becomes charged. A body becomes charged when it has an excess of electrons(tiny particles in atoms which make up molecules which make up matter). If the body doesn't conduct electricity(insulator), like your duvet for example, the duvet will have lots of electrons(charge)...

Where do these extra electrons/charge come from? The dry air which is harmattan. SO your duvet gets its charge, waits for a conductor to come along, which in this case happens to be your sexy body. It will try to neutralize itself, by discharging the extra electrons through your body.

As for the little sparks and sounds you hear...think of what's going as a mini replica of lightning and thunder during rainfall. Lightning is a visualization of what happens when static electricity builds up in cloud and the electrons try to cross over through the air. Thunder is caused by this effect.

In addition, I want you to ensure there are no flammable vapours/gases around especially in this time of fuel scarcity.
Do not store fuel in containers in your house, ensure that duvet does not get close to your generator.
Such items should have passed through quality checks, but considering where you bought it I have serious doubts.
Static electricity can start fire easily, and this can be difficult to trace.
Be very careful, that thing you got in your hands can be deadly!

2 Likes

Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 15, 2015
Excellent7:

In addition, I want you to ensure there are no flammable vapours/gases around especially in this time of fuel scarcity.
Do not store fuel in containers in your house, ensure that duvet does not get close to your generator.
Such items should have passed through quality checks, but considering where you bought it I have serious doubts.
Static electricity can start fire easily, and this can be difficult to trace.
Be very careful, that thing you got in your hands can be deadly!

Has nothing to do with quality checks but the nature of the material of the duvet. If you have a carpet at home and you walk across it, you build up charge. Holding a doorknob could give you a 'shock' too. Combing your hair with a plastic comb also builds up charge in the comb.
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 15, 2015
janvier27:
Hmmm. Brainy scientists do have issues placing their paternity tongue And wait, merry Xmas?! There is hope, whether Xmas or Christmas grin
SMH. grin grin grin
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by freshPikin: 3:59pm On Dec 15, 2015
Juxtified:

Learnt a lot from that, thanks.
And yet some id.iots are against western education!
Seconded.
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by PatiencePikin: 8:05pm On Dec 15, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Cause:
Static electricity.
Tankyu.
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by Excellent7(m): 9:30pm On Dec 15, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Has nothing to do with quality checks but the nature of the material of the duvet. If you have a carpet at home and you walk across it, you build up charge. Holding a doorknob could give you a 'shock' too. Combing your hair with a plastic comb also builds up charge in the comb.

All textiles burn, but there are standards on the burning rate and other requirements before you can use in certain applications.
All textiles ultimately get "wetted" but in some applications water will just run off the fabric without soaking it.
This is same for building materials were safety regulations require introduction of retardants to slow burning rate to increase chances of escape. It is not always luck that folks walk away from accidents with minimal or no scratches.
It is a conceptual design approach in which safety is designed, i.e. "infused" into a product at the design stage.
Have you ever bought a product with long time warranty or guaranty?
Why do you think some manufacturers are able to give long duration warranty like 5, 10, and even life-time and still stay profitable in business?
Sir, In some climes the material you can use to produce personal use items are strictly regulated.
In case of accident with proof that the manufacturer's choice of material is the cause, the producer may be liable.
In some places anything goes due to lack of regulation and standards.
All bulbs "die".
However, I once used a bulb that lasted over 10 years. You will not believe it! That was in Nigeria.
But now you can find yourself replacing bulbs every three months.
This is the reason why SON has a lot of miles to go.

1 Like

Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by Nobody: 9:45pm On Dec 15, 2015
^^^ I get your point about standards. All I'm saying is what other materials would you suggest be used in making duvets/quilts?
In humid weathers, the electrons in the duvet dissipate due to moisture in the atmosphere. It's the harmattan (dry air, less moisture, more insulation) effect.

1 Like

Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by kokoA(m): 9:47pm On Dec 15, 2015
I can tell you weren't a science student in secondary school @OP.
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by freshPikin: 12:21pm On Dec 16, 2015
kokoA:
I can tell you weren't a science student in secondary school @OP.
Wetin you sabi?
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by Nobody: 12:24pm On Dec 16, 2015
Who remembers this?

Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by freshPikin: 7:14am On Dec 17, 2015
Lobeez:
Who remembers this?
shocked shocked grin
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by blazetitov: 7:17am On Dec 17, 2015
Op, harmattan don carry you go be dat ooo grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by freshPikin: 7:59am On Dec 17, 2015
Mynd44 lalasticlala make small harmattan blow for this thread abeg.. grin
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by Nobody: 2:00pm On Dec 17, 2015
Discharge the shit half way empty b4 its half way full
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by Chumani(f): 2:06pm On Dec 17, 2015
No knowledge is wasted
Re: Unbelieveable! My Duvet Releases Minor Electric Sparks by freshPikin: 2:30pm On Dec 22, 2015
Chumani:
No knowledge is wasted

(1) (Reply)

Most Abnormal Things We Do / Python Vomits Diamond ..true Or False? / WWE Wrestling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.