Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,452 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

The Best Way To Answer The Question: “tell Me About Yourself” - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Best Way To Answer The Question: “tell Me About Yourself” (2716 Views)

The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? / 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” / How To Answer the terrific "Tell Me About Yourself?" Interview Question. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Way To Answer The Question: “tell Me About Yourself” by megawax8: 2:46pm On Dec 15, 2015
Goodday fellow NLders,

we all might learn a thing or two.

Goodluck in your endeavours.

Feel free to add suggestions.

The Tell me about yourself question is perhaps the trickiest interview question posed by recruiters. And it is also the most misunderstood for candidates. While this question seem harmless on the surface, giving a less-than-impressive ramble for an answer could prove costly. So how then do you answer the question? Read on.

It’s a TRAP, so be careful: About 80% of all interviews begin with this innocent question.Many candidates, unprepared for the question, skewer themselves by rambling, recapping their life story, delving into ancient work history or personal matters.

BEST ANSWER: Start with the present and tell why you are well qualified for the position. Remember that the key to all successful interviewing is to match your qualifications to what the interviewer is looking for. In other words you must sell what the buyer is buying. This is the single most important strategy in job hunting. So, before you answer this or any question it’s imperative that you try to uncover your interviewer’s greatest need, want, problem or goal.

To do so, you need to take these two steps:

1. Do all the homework you can before the interview to uncover this person’s wants and needs (not the generalized needs of the industry or company)

2. As early as you can in the interview, ask for a more complete description of what the position entails.
You might say: I have a number of accomplishments I’d like to tell you about, but I want to make the best use of our time together and talk directly to your needs. To help me do that, could you tell me more about the most important priorities of this position? All I know is what I (heard from the recruiter, read in the classified ad, etc.) Then, ALWAYS follow-up with a second and possibly, third question, to draw out his needs even more. Surprisingly, it’s usually this second or third question that unearths what the interviewer is mostly looking for. You might ask simply, “And in addition to that?…” or, “Is there anything else you see as essential to success in this position?"

This process will not feel easy or natural at first, because it is easier simply to answer questions, but only if you uncover the employer’s wants and needs will your answers make the most sense. Practice asking these key questions before giving your answers, the process will feel more natural and you will be light years ahead of the other job candidates you’re competing with. After uncovering what the employer is looking for, describe why the needs of this job bear striking parallels to tasks you’ve succeeded at before. Be sure to illustrate with specific examples of your responsibilities and especially your achievements, all of which are geared to present yourself as a perfect match for the needs he has just described.
credits: http://www.jobber.man.com/blog/the-best-way-to-answer-the-question-tell-me-about-yourself/?utm_source=topjobs&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=topjobs
Re: The Best Way To Answer The Question: “tell Me About Yourself” by kossyablaze(m): 3:01pm On Dec 15, 2015
Cool
Re: The Best Way To Answer The Question: “tell Me About Yourself” by megawax8: 3:42pm On Dec 15, 2015
Re: The Best Way To Answer The Question: “tell Me About Yourself” by femimailbox(m): 3:56pm On Dec 15, 2015
please is it in place if you start answering this question by saying your name first?
Re: The Best Way To Answer The Question: “tell Me About Yourself” by megawax8: 9:45pm On Dec 15, 2015
femimailbox:
please is it in place if you start answering this question by saying your name first?

In my opinion, i do not see any wrong with a little introduction. Except you've done an introduction before the question.

But let the professionals give their answers.

Cc uboma crazyman

bcc mizmycoli ( my versatile fwend)
Re: The Best Way To Answer The Question: “tell Me About Yourself” by jaggzy: 6:51am On Dec 16, 2015
This won't fly because their is a stage in the interview that you would talk about what value you would bring to the organisation
Re: The Best Way To Answer The Question: “tell Me About Yourself” by Kalani: 7:24am On Dec 16, 2015
jaggzy:
This won't fly because their is a stage in the interview that you would talk about what value you would bring to the organisation

what then would be a better response?

You might just be helping someone get that dream job.

(1) (Reply)

Reputable School In Lagos Hiring Now / Urgent Recruitment For Customer Care Officers / Verify This Appointment Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.