Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,883 members, 7,798,950 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” (19384 Views)

How To Answer The Interview Question, “Tell Me About Yourself.” / The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? / Urgent Tips On How To Answer The Interview "What Are You Bringing To The Table (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:53am On Sep 19, 2017
When people ask you: “Tell me about yourself,” how often do you see their eyes glaze over before you finish your answer? You can bore an interviewer to tears with an autobiography that drones on, detailing all the places you’ve worked and jobs you’ve held.

This most common question really contains within it two other questions of key importance for you to immediately address: “Why should I care about you?” and “What is your value to me (or my company)?” Don’t get bogged down with rambling recitation of your work history. The best answer is your value statement, commonly thought of today as a personal branding statement.

An effective value statement conveys the kind of person/professional you are, what drives you and why those things matter. It isn’t just what you have done professionally, but your demonstrated passion for doing those things that will propel your conversation forward.

The following are seven key parts of a succinct branding statement:

1. Begin with your name. “I’m John Doe.” Then move on quickly.

2. Identify your current profession or main focus. Relate a major element of what it is that you actually do when you’re at your job in a very simple sentence. This is not the time to talk about your job title, where you work or how long you have been doing whatever it is that you do. For instance, you might say something as simple as: “My main focus as an accountant is counting widgets.”

Paap strongly advocates for the present tense, to talk about who you are today. Statements like “I’ve been widget counting for 32 years,” or “I’m transitioning into accounting and can’t wait to start adding up widgets” are not as relevant or forceful.

If you haven’t had a job doing whatever it is that you are applying for, Paap advises that you quickly do something related to it. Take a course. Volunteer. Do an internship. Even after you’ve been doing something for a short period of time, you can honestly say you are doing it. Leave the details for later. You want to convey that you are the type of person required for the job.

3. Transition. This is the time where you roll out your passion for what you do. Figure out what it is about your role that really excites you. Show you enthusiasm with a “What I love to do is…” sentence. Examples:

“As a widget maker, I love getting all the mini-widgets lined up to make a great big widget.”

“I love working with the people in my team and helping to move our process of widget organizing forward.”

These kinds of statements demonstrate that you are highly motivated and really care about what you do. Evidence of these traits provides assurance to a hiring manager that you not only can do the job, but also that would you would be a great personality fit.

4. Who you help. This is where you demonstrate who benefits from what you do. Paap reminds his audience, “Both Apple computers and Mother Teresa help people … they just help in very different ways.”

Boil it down to something really simple like: “My widgets help cure sick people,” “My widgets help people to be more creative” or “My work helps my team.” All are ways of helping. By demonstrating who benefits from what you do, you begin to effectively convey your value.

5. Target your audience. Strive to understand your audience, and tailor your message to them. Your work might benefit a plant manager, a supply chain supervisor or a CEO, among others, in different ways. Figure out what about your work would be most important to the person you are speaking with, and talk about that. By taking the time to identify his or her issues and concerns, you can plant the image in his or her mind, “This person can help me and my company.”

6. Accomplish a goal. What do you help people to do? Rather than listing a whole series of things, distill it down to a single important thing. Example: “I help my company save money.” A clear simple sentence invites a question to go into more detail and engage in a conversation.

7. Show emotion. Figure out something about your job that gives you a good feeling, and convey it, even if just with a smile. When you show an emotional identity with the work you do, you demonstrate how you fit into a company’s culture.

When you answer the “tell me about you” question with a value statement, you demonstrate your professional qualities, build interest in you as a person and increase the chance of beginning a meaningful dialog. Then, you are well on your way toward ending your interview with success.

Happy hunting!

SOURCE: Patrick Okunima CV Writing Services (www.patrickokunima.com)

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by HeWrites(m): 7:08am On Sep 19, 2017
FTC tongue

2 in a row
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 19, 2017
After that interview, you went to mama Nkechi to buy Corn only for her to serve you with your CV.. cheesy cheesy

My brother, take heart cheesy cheesy grin
HeWrites:
FTC tongue

2 in a row

Because of you, I now believe in witches. My data connection was superb, just when I wanted to grab that space, it start lagging. cry

Anyway, check my signature for business ideas.. It's better than struggling for a space that's useless to you. Se.un is not paying money. tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by Settingz321(m): 7:09am On Sep 19, 2017
Very simple just give them ur Facebook handle
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 19, 2017
J
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by Settingz321(m): 7:09am On Sep 19, 2017
HeWrites:
FTC 2 tongue

Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by Drpaulse(m): 7:11am On Sep 19, 2017
Good luck
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by ObaKlaz: 7:12am On Sep 19, 2017
There ought to be a rule against 'space-booking', seriously!
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by HeWrites(m): 7:12am On Sep 19, 2017
[quote author=Settingz321 post=60605107][/quote]
Thicker Body grin
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by kingphilip(m): 7:12am On Sep 19, 2017
The way they've recycled this thing eh you'd think it's the only thing interviewers ask during an interview

And to think that some of them are even jobless relying only on people viewing their blog to make money is baffling.

Any which way I no even read am because before this week ends another same post will make it to Frontpage

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by Naijashortcode(m): 7:13am On Sep 19, 2017
Helpful
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by DanielsParker(m): 7:13am On Sep 19, 2017
One may not even get the time to vomit all these.. The interviewer will just be like, 'young man, enough! "

One can Simply start with his/her name "my name is xxxx, a graduate of xxxxxx from university of xxxxxx.

Secondly, he/she can state his/her strengths, ( a little of it, to avoid pouring out everything already planned for the question " why should we hire you"wink . eg I'm energetic, pragmatic and innovative..

Now he/she can state what he/she hope on gaining from the job, e.g, I have always had the desire to grow and develop myself and to impact positively to the society. Thanks

we should Remember to keep our answers short and precise to avoid Boring our interviewers and showing them we crammed our answers.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by nwakibie3(m): 7:15am On Sep 19, 2017
OP where is the job na
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by HeWrites(m): 7:16am On Sep 19, 2017
HenryDion:
After that interview, you went to mama Nkechi to buy Corn only for her to serve you with your CV.. cheesy cheesy

My brother, take heart cheesy cheesy grin

Because of you, I now believe in witches. My data connection was superb, just when I wanted to grab that space, it start lagging. cry

Anyway, check my signature for business ideas.. It's better than struggling for a space that's useless to you. Se.un is not paying money. tongue

No vex ehn tongue
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by HeWrites(m): 7:16am On Sep 19, 2017
ObaKlaz:
There ought to be a rule against 'space-booking', seriously!

You think so?
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by MrGreenMavro: 7:18am On Sep 19, 2017
h
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by brexit: 7:19am On Sep 19, 2017
This cannot work in Nigeria where quota system takes preeminence,where a part of the country occupies all the sensitive positions as their birth right not by merit.
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by QuickStandard: 7:41am On Sep 19, 2017
Check Quick Standard for your energy solutions.

inverter's, UPS, Solar and batteries.

we also buy used inverters and UPS batteries of any size.

Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by biggerboyc(m): 7:48am On Sep 19, 2017
Thanks
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by Sike(m): 9:03am On Sep 19, 2017
DanielsParker:
You may not even get the time to vomit all these.. The interviewer will just be like, 'young man, enough! "

Simply start with your name "my name is xxxx, a graduate of xxxxxx from university of xxxxxx.

Secondly, state your strengths, ( a little of it, to avoid pouring out everything you already planned for the question " why should we hire you"wink . eg I'm energetic, pragmatic and innovative..

Now state, what you hope on gaining from the job, e.g, I have always had the desire to grow and develop myself and to impact positively to the society. Thanks

Remember to keep your answers short and precise to avoid Boring your interviewer and showing him you crammed your answers.

THANK YOU FOR THIS..........

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by epospiky(m): 9:05am On Sep 19, 2017
please is this fp?
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by Chamber10(m): 9:15am On Sep 19, 2017
PatrickOkunima:
When people ask you: “Tell me about yourself,” how often do you see their eyes glaze over before you finish your answer? You can bore an interviewer to tears with an autobiography that drones on, detailing all the places you’ve worked and jobs you’ve held.

This most common question really contains within it two other questions of key importance for you to immediately address: “Why should I care about you?” and “What is your value to me (or my company)?” Don’t get bogged down with rambling recitation of your work history. The best answer is your value statement, commonly thought of today as a personal branding statement.

An effective value statement conveys the kind of person/professional you are, what drives you and why those things matter. It isn’t just what you have done professionally, but your demonstrated passion for doing those things that will propel your conversation forward.

2. Identify your current profession or main focus. Relate a major element of what it is that you actually do when you’re at your job in a very simple sentence. This is not the time to talk about your job title, where you work or how long you have been doing whatever it is that you do. For instance, you might say something as simple as: “My main focus as an accountant is counting widgets.”

Paap strongly advocates for the present tense, to talk about who you are today. Statements like “I’ve been widget counting for 32 years,” or “I’m transitioning into accounting and can’t wait to start adding up widgets” are not as relevant or forceful.

If you haven’t had a job doing whatever it is that you are applying for, Paap advises that you quickly do something related to it. Take a course. Volunteer. Do an internship. Even after you’ve been doing something for a short period of time, you can honestly say you are doing it. Leave the details for later. You want to convey that you are the type of person required for the job.

3. Transition. This is the time where you roll out your passion for what you do. Figure out what it is about your role that really excites you. Show you enthusiasm with a “What I love to do is…” sentence. Examples:

“As a widget maker, I love getting all the mini-widgets lined up to make a great big widget.”

“I love working with the people in my team and helping to move our process of widget organizing forward.”

These kinds of statements demonstrate that you are highly motivated and really care about what you do. Evidence of these traits provides assurance to a hiring manager that you not only can do the job, but also that would you would be a great personality fit.

4. Who you help. This is where you demonstrate who benefits from what you do. Paap reminds his audience, “Both Apple computers and Mother Teresa help people … they just help in very different ways.”

Boil it down to something really simple like: “My widgets help cure sick people,” “My widgets help people to be more creative” or “My work helps my team.” All are ways of helping. By demonstrating who benefits from what you do, you begin to effectively convey your value.

5. Target your audience. Strive to understand your audience, and tailor your message to them. Your work might benefit a plant manager, a supply chain supervisor or a CEO, among others, in different ways. Figure out what about your work would be most important to the person you are speaking with, and talk about that. By taking the time to identify his or her issues and concerns, you can plant the image in his or her mind, “This person can help me and my company.”

6. Accomplish a goal. What do you help people to do? Rather than listing a whole series of things, distill it down to a single important thing. Example: “I help my company save money.” A clear simple sentence invites a question to go into more detail and engage in a conversation.

7. Show emotion. Figure out something about your job that gives you a good feeling, and convey it, even if just with a smile. When you show an emotional identity with the work you do, you demonstrate how you fit into a company’s culture.

When you answer the “tell me about you” question with a value statement, you demonstrate your professional qualities, build interest in you as a person and increase the chance of beginning a meaningful dialog. Then, you are well on your way toward ending your interview with success.

Happy hunting!

Good tips
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by childrenday15(m): 9:20am On Sep 19, 2017
And the job will be given to those with internal /external connection. If you like carry Cambridge for head
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by macsymphony: 10:25am On Sep 19, 2017
Quite impartful....nice one
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by omoelerin1: 10:38am On Sep 19, 2017
brexit:
This cannot work in Nigeria where quota system takes preeminence,where a part of the country occupies all the sensitive positions as their birth right not by merit.
na govt job u dey find? abi private organisation too dey do quota system? Brilliant graduates don't look for govt work. Except the academicians. It is only the dullard and the lazy that do govt work, especially those in the ministries and agencies. There is no way you will work with govt that your success will not be limited. make u no prepare yourself. dey complain quota system.
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by sekem: 12:42pm On Sep 19, 2017
How come this thread only has one page?

Does it mean that our youths are now tired of anything concerned with interviews and job applications?

I seriously hope so.
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by thecommunist(m): 12:48pm On Sep 19, 2017
Wonderful
Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by GreatManBee: 2:24pm On Sep 19, 2017
PatrickOkunima:

Happy hunting!

Re: 7 Tips To Help You Answer The Interview Question, “tell Me About Yourself” by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:00pm On Sep 19, 2017
Thanks.
Chamber10:

Good tips

(1) (Reply)

Free Job Aptitude Test Past Questions And Answers For Practice And Download / Advice Urgently Needed: Should I Consider This Job If Given The Offer? / 4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.