Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,986 members, 7,952,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:19 AM

Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? (124599 Views)

3 Easy Ways To Survive The Present Financial Meltdown In The Nigerian Economy / Beware Of Wonder Banks, CBN Warns / The Meltdown Of The Nigerian Capital Market: Causes And Consequences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by kshow1(m): 1:18pm On Jun 09, 2009
tkb417:

but i see other smaller investment banking outifts springing up and taking a chunk of what would have been originally IBTCs meat.

Fellow Nairalanders,
The aforementioned asset and investment management firms are all good.
There is an asset management firm in town which is waxxing stronger by the day. Its MILVERA CAPITAL LIMITED,although it is relatively new it was established by seasoned bankers and economists with versed experience in the Nigeria capital market. you can visit them on www.milveracapital.com for there services is next to non.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 1:33pm On Jun 09, 2009
tkb417:

Investment Banking is cool, brain tasking, energy consuming and really rewarding
as for T-cann
you need to be all analytic, energic and be ready to spend long hours and weekends working on your mandates
some coys dont employ if you dont have the Mscs, First Class and the rest but its not really hard to figure

Just get yourself enrolled in CFA and get the level 1 passed and i can bet, you can enter one of those coys
if you have ACCA, ICAN and co with ur B.sc, you can hit up places like Stanbic BGL and co and they will be ready to take you in
But bros, the work can worry ooo

but if you work in a place like my office, ure sure gonna get a bonus as big as your annual pay
and thats just the plain truth.

so guys, lets talk, CFA guys are in town.

@tbk
Its nice hearing from you, how did ur CFA go? a friend of mine working with CSL wrote, he said "God dey"
As regards my ambition of crossing over to CF/IB, its been a long standing passion, i had already enrolled in for law b4 discovering my passion tru information for Inv Banking and since then, i have been prepin to change career-i studied law in shl with special interest and project work on Investmt and Securities law, ICAN, and now stage 2 of CIS, it was limited resources that made me run a personal fund rationing analysis and came to d conclusn of settling for CIS for now,till i get bigger kish to reg for CFA. As regards the tiring,long working hrs, weekends etc, your guy dey house, you cant tire a man out of what he loves passionately to do,he'll be at it for hrs and it will seem as if he just did 1 minute.
Yours sincerely just got the simon benninga's 2008 ed. self study text on 'financial modelling using excel' for some GBP,and with the help of a friend as expert mentor and prior knowledge of finace,i hope to pick up one or two things, still in the spirit of prep to storm the industry by year end.

@jarus and mr crackles
As regards my rating of Stanbic IBTC, i wont say much again as TBK as already given my submission. Investment banking as a core competence in Stanbic has been watered down with the universal banking licence.
as regards their pouching around for hands,its true, as a brother of mine has been lured into joining the team,he is currently on a touring trainning-he's in SA now

@Ajanlekoko
ARM may be good too but from my industry watch,the 10 high flying players is a diffult thing to pin to a countdown list, as my earlier list may be inconclusive,my elder brother uses them too, but that as it may be, there re many parameters that shd be considered in evaluating their capital strenght and not basically their marketing prowess to generate mandate accounts.

@ tbk  
I read in the papers the upcoming CFA institute seminar in Nigeria, i hope that will be an herald to the formation of the nig local CFA chapter and ultimately the location of an exam centre in naija.

Peace to y'all.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by omoteebabe(f): 1:38pm On Jun 09, 2009
wat about Iei - asset?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tkb417(m): 1:50pm On Jun 09, 2009
T-Cann:

@tbk
Its nice hearing from you, how did ur CFA go? a friend of mine working with CSL wrote, he said "God dey"
As regards my ambition of crossing over to CF/IB, its been a long standing passion, i had already enrolled in for law b4 discovering my passion tru information for Inv Banking and since then, i have been prepin to change career-i studied law in shl with special interest and project work on Investmt and Securities law, ICAN, and now stage 2 of CIS, it was limited resources that made a run a personal fund rationing analysis and came to d conclusn of settling for CIS for now,till i get bigger kish to reg for CFA. As regards the tiring,long working hrs, weekends etc, your guys dey house, you cant tire a man out of what he loves passionately to do,he be at it for hrs and it will seem as if he just did 1 minute.
Yours sincerely just got the simon benninga's 2008 ed. self study text on financial modelling using excel for some GBP,and with the help of some expert mentor and prior knowledge of finace,i hope to pick up one or two things, still in the spirit of prep to storm the industry.

@ tbk
I read in the papers the upcoming CFA institute seminar in Nigeria, i hope that will be an herald to the formation of the nig local CFA chapter and ultimately the location of an exam centre in naija.

Peace to y'all.

Simon Beninga? LOL!
Nice attempt! Now ure talking. Now i can see ure ready with all Black scholes and stuffs
LOL! Good attempt bro

Like you rightly said, if uve got passion for what you do, ull go a long way

as for the CFA thing in Lagos, urs sincerely will be actively involved in this
we need to get this running. As we speak, we have a board of trustees of the supposedly CFA Lagos in place but we are still lagging behind
we must put some requirements in place b4 we can be granted 'our society'

its work in progress tho and i know very soon, it shall come to pass

cheers
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by seunallday: 2:04pm On Jun 09, 2009
omoteebabe:

wat about Iei - asset?

iei assets is a bit too young plus we aint got no tracklist of transactions to decide, good place tho, have a friend moving there pretty soon.
tkb417:

as for the CFA thing in Lagos, urs sincerely will be actively involved in this
we need to get this running. As we speak, we have a board of trustees of the supposedly CFA Lagos in place but we are still lagging behind
we must put some requirements in place b4 we can be granted 'our society'

its work in progress tho and i know very soon, it shall come to pass

cheers

my prayers are with y'all INFS
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by seunallday: 2:07pm On Jun 09, 2009
@ T CANN

ALSO SAW AN AD IN THE GUARDIAN TODAY FOR A COURSE IN FINANCIAL MODELLIN AND FORECASTING USING EXCEL ORGANISED BY WORKFORCE MGT, U MIGHT WANNA CHECK DAT OUT, GON GIVE DEM A CALL SOON THO, WILL POST THE DETAILS LATER

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 2:10pm On Jun 09, 2009
@tbk
bros, the joni of a thousand miles begins with a step. With the fin modeling training and all that, yours sincerely is not thinking that he will get it all right within a month o!!
afterall,these ur models thingi are gotten thru constant practice over and over again, like a car learner,u jst have to keep driving to get it right after the 2 weeks driving shl lessons.-ok seriously,what is ur honest opinion? yours sincerely has to change from law to IB by yr end o and GOD plus all of una im bros4d industry have to help out!!
I suspect u re online present, too bad my messenger isnt loading.
Nice one on d CFA thing, i pray d CFA society thing works out.

@jarus
where hath thou??

@others
excellent comments so far, am loving it!!
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 2:16pm On Jun 09, 2009
@seun
thanks a million
I ve been to their office b4 but therob is that u cant learn fin modeling in a 5-day crash program course, u av to keep practising always after d training, so i thot why shd i give my money off, its like going for a beginner's class in computer appreciation and u dont have a PC to practice at home,u ll soon lose the skills and ur training investment will yield a zero ROI. trust me, am speaking from exp.
Thanks all d same tho.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by lolarde(f): 2:32pm On Jun 09, 2009
This is the most interesting topic i ve come across on nairaland.
i am a graduate of estate management,unilag. kind of in a fix as to what line of career to follow.
No passion for real estate,so its off my options.
Risk management is a viable option for me,taking professional exams in insurance already,ll be an associate by december.
i am thinking of getting into investment banking/capital market just based on that,dont want to take CIS,ACCA or ICAN
Also heard about SII,Securities and Investment Institute(its UK based but gradually gaining recognition in nigeria. (Check out www.sii.org.uk.)
Pls i need solid advice from you guys,not currently working now,i hope to get a sense of direction from this topic.

olufunlayoojo@yahoo.com
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by seunallday: 2:34pm On Jun 09, 2009
T-Cann:

@seun
thanks a million
I ve been to their office b4 but therob is that u cant learn fin modeling in a 5-day crash program course, u av to keep practising always after d training, so i thot why shd i give my money off, its like going for a beginner's class in computer appreciation and u dont have a PC to practice at home,u ll soon lose the skills and ur training investment will yield a zero ROI. trust me, am speaking from exp.
Thanks all d same tho.

lol, true talk sha, from ur post i can sense dat u have a prob wit the fees as well, will call to find out ow much it is tho,
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by omoteebabe(f): 3:10pm On Jun 09, 2009
seunallday:

iei assets is a bit too young plus we aint got no tracklist of transactions to decide, good place tho, have a friend moving there pretty soon.

thanks, ave a friend there too.

i woud love a kinda clarification on these terms; corporate finance, wealth/asset mgt and project finance
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by seunallday: 3:35pm On Jun 09, 2009
omoteebabe:

i suggest u google it, or better still wikipedia or investopedia it, lol
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Jarus(m): 3:55pm On Jun 09, 2009
i woud love a kinda clarification on these terms; corporate finance, wealth/asset mgt and project finance
CORPORATE FINANCE
Corporate Finance is the aspect of investment banking that deals with:
-Capital raising: Capital raising takes various forms, equity or debt financing. You often hear a company is going to the capital market. A company cannot just go the capital market by itself, it makes use of investment banking institution to handle it for it, being expert in this regard. Corporate Finance division handles this. You can have private placement, where the coy underwrites the issue, and in turn invite select investors. It's not public. You can as well have public offer, in which case the whole public is invited to come and subcribe. Corporate finance handle all these for you.
-Capital restructuring: This basically involves restructuring the share capital base(and by implication, ownership structure) of an organization. Coys that want to do this invite investment banking institution, and this is the work of corporate finance team.
-Mergers and acquistion: when two or more organizations want to merge, voluntarily or circumstance-necessitated, or a company is acquiring another, this division of investment banking handle it. They coordinate the process, act as Financial adviser, being expert in this field. They serve as link between you and regulatory bodies until the M&A is consumated.

So all those adverts you hear in papers, TV, bill boards etc on one company raising funds, IPO, public offers, private placements,rights issue, and all those jargons, are what CF does in an investemnt banking institution.
Note however that in a non-investment banking institution, say a commercial bank, teh work of a CF division differs quite markedly from this.

WEALTH/ASSET MANAGEMENT
Some organizations call it asset management, some call it wealth management, although strictly speaking, they are quite different. In IBTC for example, they have what they call wealth group which comprises asset management and pension fund. In Vetiva we called it wealth management.
This basically involves pooling funds together and investing it, majorly but not limited to stocks. They call them mutual funds, implying that you give them money and being expert in the field they invest it for you and you share the returns(mutual). These companies call them different names/products/schemes: Ethical fund, Guaranty fund,Equity fund etc. In other words, being experts in the field, they help you manage your wealth/asset, and you can face other things. Of course, you share the returns.

PROJECT FINANCE/TRADE FINANCE

In many organizations, this is still within the purview of CF, but some others have it as a separate unit/dept.
Here, you bring the idea or the project, and they have the fund to finance it. They analyse the project you're bringing to table and you work things out together. And you share the returns.

But all these could be interwoven, at times.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by mrsb(f): 4:09pm On Jun 09, 2009
best companies are CSL Stockbrokers and Chapel Hill in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by omoteebabe(f): 4:25pm On Jun 09, 2009
thanks jarus

but if project financing is still somewhat under the CF, what are mortgage coys meant for?

secondly, can we safely say asset mgt & pension adminstration is d same?
although i know pension contribution is divided into mandatory & voluntary contribution and from ur xplanation funds coming into assets mgt is voluntary.

finally, what does capital restructuring really entail?

sorry am askin too many questions, i would have google search it but the reply does not capture the nigerian picture. tanks
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by ebhohon: 4:32pm On Jun 09, 2009
Hi Guys,
Please don't be embarrassed by my question, this is an opportunity for us to learn, What is PE?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 4:52pm On Jun 09, 2009
lolarde:

This is the most interesting topic i ve come across on nairaland.
i am a graduate of estate management,unilag. kind of in a fix as to what line of career to follow.
No passion for real estate,so its off my options.
Risk management is a viable option for me,taking professional exams in insurance already,ll be an associate by december.
i am thinking of getting into investment banking/capital market just based on that,dont want to take CIS,ACCA or ICAN
Also heard about SII,Securities and Investment Institute(its UK based but gradually gaining recognition in nigeria. (Check out www.sii.org.uk.)
Pls i need solid advice from you guys,not currently working now,i hope to get a sense of direction from this topic.

olufunlayoojo@yahoo.com

@LOLARDE,
Its true that SII-Securities and Investment Institute, Lo[/b]ndon is getting more recognised in Nig., in fact last year when i was actively researching the institute,i found out that SII has an exam centre in lagos and abuja, but from my findings, u cant function as a market dealer on NSE with either of their diplomas or certificate,also am not sure wether u can cross over to CIS with any of their certificates.

moreso, they offer certificate programmes and dip in [b]inv mgt,inv. compliance and regulatn,islamic banking,inv operations, etc.[/b]Interestingly, some nig prof bodies are listed for exemptn status by SII to enter into their associate level-[b]ASI
. Such include ICAN, CIBN, CIIN etc (am not sure i saw CIS on the pdf list).
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 4:57pm On Jun 09, 2009
ebhohon:

Hi Guys,
Please don't be embarrassed by my question, this is an opportunity for us to learn, What is PE?

If it is has TKB used the acromyn earlier in the thread,i want to believe it is PRIVATE EQUITY.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 5:06pm On Jun 09, 2009
seunallday:

lol, true talk sha, from ur post i can sense dat u have a prob wit the fees as well, will call to find out ow much it is tho,
Omo iya,you got me there-lol
na naija we dey,e no easy o!! all man just dey try.
to spit out N175,000 for a 5-day what, fiiii le,its a loooooonng thing.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 5:07pm On Jun 09, 2009
seunallday:

@SEUN

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by seunallday: 5:08pm On Jun 09, 2009
ebhohon:

Hi Guys,

no embarrassment in learning brov, PE means Private Equity, means fund raising or financing options for companies that are not listed on the stock exchange

omoteebabe:

but if project financing is still somewhat under the CF, what are mortgage coys meant for?

secondly, can we safely say asset mgt & pension adminstration is d same?
although i know pension contribution is divided into mandatory & voluntary contribution and from ur xplanation funds coming into assets mgt is voluntary.

finally, what does capital restructuring really entail?

sorry am askin too many questions, i would have google search it but the reply does not capture the nigerian picture. tanks

u seem really interested, i d advise u to go to wikipedia or investopedia, these things are pretty universal in structure so u will get a sound idea,

mortgage coys are companies that finance shelter, houses land and the rest, they provide financing services for houses more or less, project financing is different from mortgage, prolly the only tin they have in common is d repayment tenor, lllonng teeerrrm.

pension administration is different from pension managerss, pfas collect these pension funds and the managers turn em into more wealth tho some firms are both managers and admins, safe to say pfm is a form of asset mgt since it also involves collection and mgt of wealth,

the nature of pensions and the laws governing em make it mandatory for the employers and the employed, asset mgt aint compulsory.

capital restructuring, now i 'l leave dat to jarus, can type dat long.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by seunallday: 5:14pm On Jun 09, 2009
T-Cann:

@SEUN

for wetin naaa, na cfa fees be dat, c ur point, i l pass on dat mehnnn, cant afford dat for now
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by omoteebabe(f): 5:40pm On Jun 09, 2009
tanks seunallday.
wit capital restructuring, ave done a bit of research and came up with two terms - stock split n reverse stock split. am just wondering what positive effect that will have on a coy?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tkb417(m): 7:52pm On Jun 09, 2009
nice one guys!!
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 8:06pm On Jun 09, 2009
@tbk
are u presently online? if yes,pls lets IM on teecannrecruiting@yahoo.com. some info need to be passed on behind the veil. thanks.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by zander87: 9:35pm On Jun 09, 2009
Hi guys,

I am interested in starting my career at entry level with an investment bank in corporate finance.I am currently studying for a masters degree in the UK due to end in september and have completed the ACCA qualification.Is it possible for me to send my CV to them(and if so how as the websites do not have a career section through which one can send a CV) before I return to Nigeria as I do not want to return to Nigeria before I begin a lengthy selection process and I guess these firms have a period within which they recruit in a particular year.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by joshO: 10:03pm On Jun 09, 2009
Which will carry more weight for a senior role in banking - CFA or MBA (finance from a reputable UK university) ?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tkb417(m): 8:55am On Jun 10, 2009
T-Cann:

@tbk
are u presently online? if yes,pls lets IM on teecannrecruiting@yahoo.com. some info need to be passed on behind the veil. thanks.
hey T-Cann
i'd already gone home when i got this and i couldnt respond.
I however sent a mail to you via my wireless device. Dunno if u got it
wont be around today cos of the CFA guys around

Our bid to have a society might still take a while cos we need about 38 charterholders in this country b4 we can be granted our request. As of now, we can boast of 24. I heared they only have 7 charterholders in Ghana.
we aint doing badly cos if you merge the candidates that wrote both June and last december exams, we had about 900 candidates!!
Thats a lot and im hopeful, within the next few years,we'll cross that line and then have our status confirmed!

we'll chat laterz

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tkb417(m): 8:57am On Jun 10, 2009
zander87:

Hi guys,

I am interested in starting my career at entry level with an investment bank in corporate finance.I am currently studying for a masters degree in the UK due to end in september and have completed the ACCA qualification.Is it possible for me to send my CV to them(and if so how as the websites do not have a career section through which one can send a CV) before I return to Nigeria as I do not want to return to Nigeria before I begin a lengthy selection process and I guess these firms have a period within which they recruit in a particular year.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

You are more than qualified to enter any company in Nigeria
be it Investment Banking or Oil and Gas

Print ur CVs and send to Nigeria. tell someone to help you drop them in the selected coys you have in mind
u'll surely be called for tests/interviews
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by tkb417(m): 9:04am On Jun 10, 2009
joshO:

Which will carry more weight for a senior role in banking - CFA or MBA (finance from a reputable UK university) ?
Both carry the same weight in me opinion if youre thinking of practising as a Finance expert.

CFA charter however is the global seal that u can be called a Finance guru
A global Mba from a top school will open doors but may not be the seal of approval in Finance

My plan is to have both qualifications tho in the next 3-5 years
Most of my ogas are charterholders with MBA from the best schools

get the one you can get now, work on the other later and then ure well positioned to be a CEO in the non too distant future grin grin

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by seunallday: 9:25am On Jun 10, 2009
omoteebabe:

tanks seunallday.
wit capital restructuring, ave done a bit of research and came up with two terms - stock split n reverse stock split. am just wondering what positive effect that will have on a coy?

a stock split is a share mgt technique done by increasing the no of shares in a company and reducing the share price for example 10000 shares of 1naira each could be split to 20000 shares of 50k each this way there is no effect in share capital, phb did this some time ago, a reverse split is the direct opposite, increasing the share price and reducing the no of shares eg 20000 units of 50k can be reverse split to 10000 of 1naira each,  think ecobank also did this recently

the effects of these on the the coy itself is nada pretty much because a stock split neva changes its share capital, on divivdend policies maybe, because coys pay dividends per share and thus the higher the no of shares outstanding the higer the amount of dividend payout,

also a stock split creates an impression that the price of a 'good company' has fallen really low, dat is to investors unaware of a split, so it makes the price more attractive, lotta coys do it for dis reason.
tkb417:

Our bid to have a society might still take a while cos we need about 38 charterholders in this country b4 we can be granted our request. As of now, we can boast of 24. I heared they only have 7 charterholders in Ghana.
we aint doing badly cos if you merge the candidates that wrote both June and last december exams, we had about 900 candidates!!
Thats a lot and im hopeful, within the next few years,we'll cross that line and then have our status confirmed!

dont get, there only 24 charterholders in naija? tot they would have been more
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by deprofy: 11:04am On Jun 10, 2009
tkb,

kindly help on this, how many stages does CFA has and what is the duration of the program with the fees.

thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

MMM Blocks Withdrawal Of Funds For One Month! / Get Help Worldwide Is In Its Last Days. Beware!!! / #twink-as Will Crash Soon. Nonsense

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.