Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,977 members, 7,825,050 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

How Lucrative Is Geology In Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Lucrative Is Geology In Nigeria? (4995 Views)

Is Geology A Good Course To Study. / Is Geology The Toughest Course To Study In Nigeria ? / Please How Lucrative Is Geology In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Lucrative Is Geology In Nigeria? by Jatamanta(m): 12:12am On Dec 17, 2015
With the way Nigeria is going, what is the. hope of a second class graduate of geology?

Is it advisable to study geology in Nigeria, knowing you can't afford Msc abroad?

On a scale of 1-100, what are d chances of getting a 'comfortable' job as a fresh graduate?
Re: How Lucrative Is Geology In Nigeria? by Jatamanta(m): 12:41am On Dec 17, 2015
Cc - butanep, fynestboi

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Geology In Nigeria? by Olabodedennis(m): 5:59am On Dec 17, 2015
In d present Nigeria situation nw, I think with Geology u can work anywhere

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Geology In Nigeria? by femmykenny: 7:04am On Dec 17, 2015
You advise to take a U turn if you Don't know the opportunity that surround your proposed course of study
Re: How Lucrative Is Geology In Nigeria? by butanep(m): 7:39am On Dec 17, 2015
Jatamanta:
Cc - butanep, fynestboi

Geology is a good course with vase opportunities both in Nigeria and abroad. As a geologist, you have opportunies in Oil & gas firms, construction, hydrological & environment ministries or decide to pursue a lecturing job. With the nature of Nigeria economy now, geologist can work anywhere except in some key and professional position. I have friends that studied geology that work in banks, audit firms and even telecommunication sector.

What you need to do is to put in effort in order to graduate with a second class upper honor. With that, you have an edge to work anywhere.

If you have the money, run your Msc immediately after your degree, you might be considered in any of the oil & gas sector or probably as a GA in universities.

Jobs of today in Nigeria is about the link and connection you have with God's Grace.
Re: How Lucrative Is Geology In Nigeria? by Jatamanta(m): 7:56pm On Dec 19, 2015
butanep:

Geology is a good course with vase opportunities both in Nigeria and abroad. As a geologist, you have opportunies in Oil & gas firms, construction, hydrological & environment ministries or decide to pursue a lecturing job. With the nature of Nigeria economy now, geologist can work anywhere except in some key and professional position. I have friends that studied geology that work in banks, audit firms and even telecommunication sector.

What you need to do is to put in effort in order to graduate with a second class upper honor. With that, you have an edge to work anywhere.

If you have the money, run your Msc immediately after your degree, you might be considered in any of the oil & gas sector or probably as a GA in universities.

Jobs of today in Nigeria is about the link and connection you have with God's Grace.

Thanks!
Are u saying it is impossible to graduate with a first class?
Re: How Lucrative Is Geology In Nigeria? by Jatamanta(m): 7:57pm On Dec 19, 2015
femmykenny:
You advise to take a U turn if you Don't know the opportunity that surround your proposed course of study

That's why I am finding out
Re: How Lucrative Is Geology In Nigeria? by butanep(m): 8:13pm On Dec 19, 2015
Jatamanta:

Thanks!
Are u saying it is impossible to graduate with a first class?

I didn't say such... people graduate from geology with first class. it all depends on you.

It's not a course where first class is easy... You work your ass out to earn it.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Geology In Nigeria? by Joshbass: 1:18pm On Feb 13, 2020
What's the most lucrative career path a Nigerian Geologist graduate can go for in MSc??... Please I need urgent replies.. And your replies will be highly appreciated
Re: How Lucrative Is Geology In Nigeria? by omis234: 4:03pm On Feb 13, 2020
Joshbass:
What's the most lucrative career path a Nigerian Geologist graduate can go for in MSc??... Please I need urgent replies.. And your replies will be highly appreciated

One of those that made comments already highlighted areas where you can work as a Geologist but if you are asking about the most lucrative, as it stands today, the oil and gas sector is the most lucrative.
More than 90% of those studying Geology are doing so with oil and gas sector in mind. The irony is that about 10% or evenless gain empemployment in the oil companies because they have to also compete with Electrical, mechanical and petroleum engineers.
If you want to build a career in the oil and gas sector, the preparation have to be from 100level to come out with an outstanding result(possibly first class or second class upper)
If age is on your side, you can proceed immediately for MSc in petroleum Geology or exploration geophysics while applying for any available job opportunities in oil companies.
But haven said this, pray for God's favour and the right connection.
The oil and gas sector is very competitive, you have to graduate with a very good result to be given a chance for test/intervew
There are other areas of Geology that are also lucrative though not as the oil and gas sector.
Like someone said, Hydrogeology, engineering Geology/geotechnics, environmental Geology but many divert their attention to oil and gas sector alone.
I hope this helps.
Re: How Lucrative Is Geology In Nigeria? by MrEgghead(m): 8:37pm On Feb 13, 2020
Olabodedennis:
In d present Nigeria situation nw, I think with Geology u can work anywhere
you mean even in hospitals?

(1) (Reply)

How To Produce Whiteboard Marker Ink And Business Manual / How To Calculate Your Jamb/postume Aggregate / How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.