Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,335 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? (9318 Views)

Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ / How To Make Money From Developing Software Using Vb Or Java / Java Server Pages (jsp) Or Java Server Face(jsf Which Path To Trend? ? ? ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by chukz4real(m): 10:01am On Jun 15, 2009
@Every Contributor.

I like computing alot and hope to go into IT fully. Likes playing around on database too. My problem still boils down to writing code (VBA). How do I overcome this problem?

Is there any CISCO certified training institute in PH that I can attend on part time basis?

Your responses please.
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by dueal(m): 10:23am On Jun 15, 2009
@chuckz4real. Ah! So u having problems writing code. I'm sure the fault is not VB but that u haven't actually gotten the concept of programming and the different styles supported like Object-oriented programming. My advice is search the web and if u r really Seeking u will Find.
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by chukz4real(m): 11:39am On Jun 15, 2009
dueal:

@chuckz4real. Ah! So u having problems writing code. I'm sure the fault is not VB but that u haven't actually gotten the concept of programming and the different styles supported like Object-oriented programming. My advice is search the web and if u r really Seeking u will Find.

Am presently building a sort of room allocation/Person On Board database. The whole idea is to know how many person' are on site, number of person' on time off, available rooms for persons coming to site. My problem now is to generate code capable of calculating next time off date (i.e. add 21 days to previous employee' time off date) and store the them on the database. Am through with the tables, forms and reports, but the coding.

The rooms are supposed to be allocated 4 persons per room (E45, F42, 44;K41, 42, 44; G27, H81, 84; M42; N44).

I hope you can get what am trying to put across.

Your opinion on this pls.
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by ilosiwaju: 7:25pm On Jun 15, 2009
For not hating C++, you are going to be one hell of a programmer. My advice is this, stick to C++. When your very good in it, you will later discover that most languages have the same concept and you'll only spend your time learning syntax differences(especially when you switch to java).
I have been programming C++ for 8 years now, i do a bit of java sha.
Don't let money or employment be your motivation. Find what you love, do it.

For the record, there are some java IDEs that were written purely in C++, C++ runs faster, etc.
All the best! You can always post whatever programming problems you have here, always ready to help.
smiley
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by decworld: 8:17pm On Jun 15, 2009
to me i prefer java than c++ becos java pays
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by ebogentle(m): 8:08am On Jun 16, 2009
Might i add here that if you were ever to find your self doing a performance-computing oriented job, then best is still Fortran.That is if your interest in that program is high speed calculation/iteration and no window dressing with gui. I'm currently using Fortran 2003 for my research
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by chukz4real(m): 12:19pm On Jun 16, 2009
ebogentle:

Might i add here that if you were ever to find your self doing a performance-computing oriented job, then best is still Fortran.That is if your interest in that program is high speed calculation/iteration and no window dressing with gui. I'm currently using Fortran 2003 for my research

If I have my way, I'll abolish Fortran and COBOL from the curriculum of all Nigerian Universities and Polytechnics. We are in a GUI age. My problem today in computing is as a result of starting programming with those outdated languages.
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by ebogentle(m): 12:48pm On Jun 16, 2009
chukz4real:

If I have my way, I'll abolish Fortran and COBOL from the curriculum of all Nigerian Universities and Polytechnics. We are in a GUI age.  My problem today in computing is as a result of starting programming with those outdated languages. 

I beg to disagree with you. If you were doing courses with names like Numerical calculus/Computational Mathemetics/ Computational Fluid dynamics/ Computational seismics/ etc, the best program for it is still Fortran. The name says it all. Meanwhile what you should recommend if you were  ever in that position is the use of updated versions. You are probably angry because u only experienced Fortran 77. Well, Fortran has come a long way too with Fortran 90, Fortran 95 and Fortran 2003. Intel still have their own dedicated fortran flavour. It may interest you to know that the 2003 version has OOP in it.

I still maintain that as long as it's FORmula TRANslation you are working on, then FORTRAN is it.
And by the way, no other program comes close for use in Parallel computing which is like the bride of performance computing at the moment.

I hated fortran while doing my Bachelors too cos the flavour i was taught was older than me.lol
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by kencas: 3:37pm On Jun 16, 2009
C++ is good for drivers programming,but every solutin from C++ can also be solved by Java.Java is more good for the market
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by kodewrita(m): 6:38pm On Jun 18, 2009
Love this guy. I was at this junction a few years ago and i let people convince me that C++ is outmoded and I went down the Java track. THank God, I found my way back.

Master C++ and then get Thinking In Java by Bruce Eckelt to make the transition to Java when necessary.

Get the Qt toolkit. its so beautiful, i had to get the Java API (Qt Jambi toolkit). It has widgets and controls that Swing can't dream of. and its cross-platform too (remember the Java "Write Once Run Anywhere" gospel anyway).

Java, you can easily pickup anytime as long as you get the knack of thinking in terms of objects or entities and also develop the habit of looking up the 30000+ classes and methods in documentation anytime you get stuck (Thats why they invented Javadoc).

@
ebogentle:

I beg to disagree with you. If you were doing courses with names like Numerical calculus/Computational Mathemetics/ Computational Fluid dynamics/ Computational seismics/ etc, the best program for it is still Fortran. The name says it all. Meanwhile what you should recommend if you were  ever in that position is the use of updated versions. You are probably angry because u only experienced Fortran 77. Well, Fortran has come a long way too with Fortran 90, Fortran 95 and Fortran 2003. Intel still have their own dedicated fortran flavour. It may interest you to know that the 2003 version has OOP in it.

I still maintain that as long as it's FORmula TRANslation you are working on, then FORTRAN is it.
And by the way, no other program comes close for use in Parallel computing which is like the bride of performance computing at the moment.

I hated fortran while doing my Bachelors too cos the flavour i was taught was older than me.lol

Fortran clogs your brain. that is not how Man was meant to program. I am not surprised all the cute girls in my class hated it (of course we geeks became the superheroes but thats a story for another day). The whole point of all those courses is to teach you how to think algorithmically and to apply programming to numerical problems.

C is much better and is simpler than FORTRAN. You can carry the entire function listing (just 80 functions in Kernighan and Ritchie version) in your head and still do amazing things. besides, it is instantly usefull cos there are reams of C code online. Your arguments about scientific utility can also be made for MATLAB which is a much better environment to do what you are doing.
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by kodewrita(m): 6:44pm On Jun 18, 2009
kencas:

C++ is good for drivers programming,but every solutin from C++ can also be solved by Java.Java is more good for the market

ever tried writing drivers in Java. every accessed microcontrollers (of course you can with JavaComm or Rxtx) but the advanced stuff will still be written in C++.

Java is simply Modern COBOL(not in obsolence . I mean its the popular business language).

Programming languages are also about the style of thinking.

C++ coders by virtue of the rigor of the language tend to be geared towards writing efficient code while Java programmers tend to be architecture astronauts (Google that. cant explain.) C++ programmers tend to be more Comp Sci aware (have more knowledge of data structures and how they work since they implement them using pointers). Java guys (like ME) just LOVE the Collections API. We dont care how it works.

@ the end of the day, a bad coder is a bad coder in ANY language.
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by dueal(m): 7:07pm On Jun 18, 2009
I have to disagree with the fortran preacher about fortran being the most efficient language for technical computing and parallel processing. Try LISP or better Ada95 which the US Department of defence initiated, just that gives u an idea of what it can do. And i'm still not for the 'Plumbers' (strict Java users).
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by ebogentle(m): 9:42pm On Jun 18, 2009
I am not necessarily preaching about Fortran. I am just emphasizing something that a lot of folks(including me b4 i started my program here) dont know about recent Fortran developments. Anyway, perhaps Lisp and Ada95 are more powerful given the might of those who started them. My argument is based on the High Performance Computing Journals i have read as well as conferences i attended. Everyone seem to be using MPI with Fortran for parallel computing. I will find out more about the above alternatives. Thanks
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by Kobojunkie: 2:33am On Jun 19, 2009
kodewrita:

ever tried writing drivers in Java. every accessed microcontrollers (of course you can with JavaComm or Rxtx) but the advanced stuff will still be written in C++.

Java is simply Modern COBOL(not in obsolence . I mean its the popular business language).

Programming languages are also about the style of thinking.

C++ coders by virtue of the rigor of the language tend to be geared towards writing efficient code while Java programmers tend to be architecture astronauts (Google that. cant explain.) C++ programmers tend to be more Comp Sci aware (have more knowledge of data structures and how they work since they implement them using pointers). Java guys (like ME) just LOVE the Collections API. We dont care how it works.

@ the end of the day, a bad coder is a bad coder in ANY language.

BINGO!!
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by kencas: 8:53am On Jun 19, 2009
Man,U have to look first at what u have in mind, ur area of specialization, and ur ability to stick to problem solving procedures.C++ is good for general programming introduction but Java is gradually overtaking the market. Better still C/C++ is the still the mother of all!!!
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by wazobiang: 3:22pm On Jun 20, 2009
My dear, you see I have heard a lot of argument about programming languages that it bores me and I feel like farting in response. For this one, I must say something. If you feel programming is stressful, then forget it. Else, there's no difference in programming languages. I've seen secure applications written on so called insecure languages, and beautiful applications springing from the least expected languages. I could only wonder. Ego. When a man talks about programming, it always has a shade of ego, not excluding yours truly.

But yet, it should be noted that at a particular programming age, if you cannot pick up a new language and start programming in it within 24 hours, you never actually made it as a programmer.

What am saying, its not the language, its the understanding of software development.

Whatever you are learning, learn the standards, read rfcs where necessary.

And finally, if you learn a language for money I will not blame you, life is hard. But eventually, you will find that like women, you should date quite a number to really understand one. But then like women you learn one at a time. Do not be greedy and try to learn another when you cannot yet solve a real world problem with the previous.

My advice, love programming, not the language. Period!

Au revoir.
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jun 20, 2009
I support @kodewrita 100%, i just did not want it to come from you. By the way i code C++, but not java. I kinda prefer C++ [first oop lang i learnt to use, after coming from vb 6.0]
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by Makavelis(m): 7:52pm On Jun 21, 2009
to choose between the c++ and java requires knowledge of what ur direction is
even though the two languages have a lot in common
still there are great differences in terms of what they can be applied to

if wanna write applications that are platform independent u can use java
but for hardware programmers C++ is ever the best
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by ChfPriest: 11:47am On Jun 22, 2009
Forget the fad.

If you truly want to be a real programmer. Then do this

Learn C++ and Object Pascal.

After that C# , Java , Ruby, PHP and the rest of them will become a piece of cake.

Dot Net is just a fad.
JAVA is just a fad.

Why didn't Microsoft write Office 2007 using C# and Dot Net? It is a pure C++ code
The entire Linux is running on C++ infrastructure.

All the mission critical financial applications out there are running on either C++ or Delphi's Object Pascal.
All medical system out there are written with either C++ or Object Pascal

Skype is written with Delphi
Yahoo TV To go is written with Delphi
Quake is written with C++
JAVA is written with C++

All the textbooks on algorithm , data structures, compiler design are written for either C++ or Pascal
All the browsers out there are written with C++

To survive in this industry learn the hard stuff and do anything later. That means C++ or Object Pascal. Don't be deceived.

I am the Chief Priest, I run Nigeria's sexiest Software development firm- Eresoft Ltd. Eresoft Ltd develops with C++ and Delphi for all our applications, including our browser based applications. We are the only company in Nigeria that builds Cross Platform apps from a single code base. Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. Only a real language gives that power. We would not employ you if your first language is JAVA or C#.

Oh by the way checkout our web application at http:\\online.ndu.edu.ng it is pure Delphi code

No JAVA NO Dot Net No VB NO C#
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by stonehedge: 12:45pm On Jun 22, 2009
@wazobia-ng - He has basically hit the nail on the head.

@Chf.Priest - to add to what he has said,
Programming with:
A) C++ is like building a house with sand, cement, water and gravel. You have full control but it will take you more time
B) Pascal/Object Pascal like building a house with blocks/bricks. Pick the block size you want and start laying them. You still have control if you choose the right block size.
C) VB/.NET/JAVA is like building a house with prefab. You are stuck to the particular type of prefab you choose. Choose the wrong one at the beginning and you will have to restart if you are changing the pattern of the house.

All said learn programming and the language you use will not be a problem.
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by stonehedge: 2:18pm On Jun 22, 2009
In programming and no matter the language the following are the same

a) an if will always evaluate to true/false
b) a while will always evaluate while a condition is true
c) a for will always evaluate from the start to the stop
d) an integer variable will hold a variable that is an integer. Scripting languages try to make this statement a little vague allowing an integer variable to hold a date, but you are warned about the consequences
e) division by 0 is not allowed
f) 1 + 1 will always be 2
g) to get data from a database:
i) connect to the database
ii) give ur selection command be it SQL, OOP, etc
iii) do what you want with the data
iv) whilst there is data, retrieve the next record/tuple/resultset/recordset/etc
h) whether u create the memory and free it or the OS/JVM/Runtime does it for you is immaterial, as long as you ensure it is freed. When its done depends on your applications needs
i) Everyloop must have a terminating point, else you have recursion
j) Every program can be written with every other programming language, just like every motor car can take you to any destination.
k) Every programming language you learn can earn you a job in any place in this world.

My point::
Forget the HYPE, learn programming and the job will come, whether in Nigeria or else where.

My 2 kobo worth.
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by nigboy(m): 2:23am On Jun 23, 2009
The most important thing is to know whichever one you choose to learn very well

do not just be a mediocre
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by Kobojunkie: 6:19pm On Jun 25, 2009
Chf.Priest:

Forget the fad.

If you truly want to be a real programmer. Then do this

Learn C++ and Object Pascal.

After that C# , Java , Ruby, PHP and the rest of them will become a piece of cake.

Dot Net is just a fad.
JAVA is just a fad.

Why didn't Microsoft write Office 2007 using C# and Dot Net? It is a pure C++ code
The entire Linux is running on C++ infrastructure.

Umm . . . I don’t know where you get your information from but the above is not close to being factual. Microsoft Office 2007 is not built in pure C++. Look up

Chf.Priest:

All the mission critical financial applications out there are running on either C++ or Delphi's Object Pascal.
All medical system out there are written with either C++ or Object Pascal

WRONG!!! No need to spread misinformation to make your point, whatever it is !!

Chf.Priest:

Skype is written with Delphi
Yahoo TV To go is written with Delphi
Quake is written with C++
JAVA is written with C++

OH BOY!!!

Chf.Priest:

All the textbooks on algorithm , data structures, compiler design are written for either C++ or Pascal
All the browsers out there are written with C++

Now you are definitely just making things up!!!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sq_3/176-1258786-5244664?%5Fencoding=UTF8&keywords=data%20structures%20and%20algorithms&index=blended&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=1N16GT7S3D2JJAGRCH4C&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_i=0201000237

Chf.Priest:

To survive in this industry learn the hard stuff and do anything later. That means C++ or Object Pascal. Don't be deceived.

I am the Chief Priest, I run Nigeria's sexiest Software development firm- Eresoft Ltd. Eresoft Ltd develops with C++ and Delphi for all our applications, including our browser based applications. We are the only company in Nigeria that builds Cross Platform apps from a single code base. Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. Only a real language gives that power. We would not employ you if your first language is JAVA or C#.

Oh by the way checkout our web application at http:\\online.ndu.edu.ng it is pure Delphi code

No JAVA NO Dot Net No VB NO C#

You really are full of jokes, aren’t you??
Re: C++ Or Java: Which Way To Go? by stonehedge: 4:09pm On Jun 27, 2009

(1) (2) (Reply)

Take Your Web Development Skill/Career To The Next Level By Creating A Web App / Python Tutorial / How To Generate Unique 10/11 Digits Nuban / BVN With PHP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.