Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,427 members, 7,822,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) (39432 Views)

Some Interesting Facts About Cumulonimbus Clouds / Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Monalisa185(f): 10:26pm On Jan 06, 2016
my name is next on that list..grin

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by fajani(m): 10:28pm On Jan 06, 2016
where are our generation ladies... they all turn to Olosho
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by ammyluv2002(f): 10:28pm On Jan 06, 2016
JesusmyGod1:
God bless my mama for inventing me
God did! God used her as a means
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by drchinchek: 10:31pm On Jan 06, 2016
Notice none of them exposing cleavages?
-all well-covered up?

2 Likes

Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jan 06, 2016
My own invention is coming soon.
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by porshuch: 10:34pm On Jan 06, 2016
mrphysics:
Nice write up @ Teempakguy. Marie curie was a great woman. she died due to the large amount of radiation in her body. she kept working and today we all have benefited from her work.

just like someone mentioned, they are many Nigerian female scientists that should make that list. one that am very sure is Prof.F.N.Okeke a laureate. she won a prize in 2014 as one of the five world best female scientists, which her work on ionosphere got her. mayhaps the topic isn't general but anyone in atmospheric physics should know about the ionosphere and her works.

Also, in the area of bioenergy, Dr. Mrs Ezekoye is doing great, her research has been published in a high impact journals.

thanks anyway.
I know prof F.N Okeke very well, the husband is P.N okeke . They're lecturers at UNN.
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by anigold(m): 10:37pm On Jan 06, 2016
Teempakguy:
One thing we've always been agitiating for in this section is the ladies.

I know, there are no desirable men here. we're all scrawny nerds, but still . . . grin

I've always Admired female scientists . . . even before i became a main stream scientist, all my crushes were scientists . . . they were also dead people, so . . . i never got to express my feelings . . . thanks.
so I thought to share my crush collection to you guys, right? because that's totally normal.
so, here, I present to you, my crushes in this world, Seven of my most favorite female scientists, The list of the most interesting women in the world. cool cool

Emmy Noether
[img]http://www.agnesscott.edu/lriddle/women/noether.jpg[/img] Hmmmn . . . nice curves . . . sorry, i mean, embarassed
Emmy Noether was a female Jewish German scientist. she was both a mathematician and theoretical physicist. She was actually one of the leading mathematicians of her time! shocked She has a theorem called Noether theorem that explains the relationship between symmetry and conservation laws. and hey, Albert Einstein, pavel Alexandrov , and hermann weyl referred to her as THE most important woman in the entire history of mathematics. not to mention her cur . . . sorry, contributions to physics. abstract algebra, topology and mathematical rings.

Grace Hopper

Okay fine . . . maybe she isn't that good looking . . . to shallow guys. tongue
so this lady right here, is just too amazing. she was both a soldier AND a scientist. she is often referred to as amazing grace. she, invented the first complier, invented the word, debugging, contributed to the development of one of the first high level programming languages, she was a navy rear admiral . . . she was one of the first programmers of the havard mark I computer, she was one of the developers of UNIVAC . . . can i hear a slow clap from there?

Ada Lovelace
[img]http://2.bp..com/-ZA6yTXr7mI0/UMYHMnvnD_I/AAAAAAAACoI/j3-Txr0MRZo/s1600/Google-Doodle197thBdayAdaLovelacePortrt.jpg[/img]

What attracts so many women to computing?
anyway, Ada lovelace, the curvy goddess of computer science, is the first programmer in the world. that's right, you guys in the programming section . . . a lady beat you to it. sorry. cheesy
so, she died at the age of 36, sad a minute silence . . . she was a British mathematician, who is, not only the first person to program, but the first person to design an algorithm. because she's just that cool. she was a countess, and she was also the first person to realize that the power of computers was more than just calculations. she envisioned that they could eventually be used for doing things that can be broken down logically. just like your computer can now play videos. instead of just doing calculations.

marie curie

If you don't Already know this woman, then . . . where have you been? come on! anyway, she was polish . . . and, you know, became french . . . concerning the nobel prize, she is the only woman to win twice, the first person to win twice, and the only person to win twice in multiple sciences(take that . . . Albert . . . lipsrsealed)
she died at 66, which is generally a good age, i guess. i mean, come on, you know when Blaise pascal died? even without radio activity. angry
so, she coined the term, radioactivity, she Isolated two elements, polonium and radium, and she also dabbled into medicine as well, figuring out, miraculously, no doubt, how to use radioactivity to treat certain illnesses! she became the director of the red cross radiology service, and went Florence nightingale on everyone. cool cool her contributions will never be forgotten at all in the history of science.
(wipes tears. )

Irene Joliot curie
[img]http://saintssistersandsluts.files./2012/08/irc3a8ne_joliot-curie_1897-1956_c-_1935.jpg[/img]

Notice something? yeah me too. she is the daughter of marie curie.
yeah. so . . . she is also a nobel prize winner. and she also worked on radioactivity. and Oh, she shared the prize with her husband. shocked
anyway, her mother got the prize for natural radioactivity, and she got the prize for artificial radioactivity. sad
i know, right? i told you the list contains the most interesting women in the world, didn't I? grin. and her daughter is also a very prominent scientist. talk about strong genes. grin
unfortunately, she also got killed by radiation . . . (fine, robinhez may have a point. embarassed) but who cares, right? she's still a gem in the field of science. cool cool cool

Alice Ball

A minute silence for our blood sister here. yup, she is a black lady. and she died at the age of 24. so young. so painful. and she has only one picture to her credit. who knows what she might have accomplished if she'd lived longer. just at that young age, she already had a masters degree. and, she developed a treatment for leprosy for more than twenty years. what's really interesting about her is what more she could have done. sad imagine if Einstein had died at 24. angry

Sofia Kovalevskaya
[img]http://cdn.ruvr.ru/2011/08/10/1252589782/Sofja_Wassiljewna_Kowalewskaja_1.jpg[/img]

Russians and their impossible to pronounce names . . . smh . . .
anyway, this lady right here, is my most recently discovered female scientist. And she didn't disappoint at all. she made several significant contributions to analysis(calculus is a subset of this.) partial differential equations, and mechanics. she was the first female professor in Russia, she also introduced the Cauchy-Kovalevskaya theorem. not that hard to grasp if you're good in math, i guess. here, take a look. grin [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy%E2%80%93Kovalevskaya_theorem[/url]

So, i guess my point is, what a man can do . . . a woman can equally do. grin. and we have always learned in science that anytime a woman is involved, something entirely dynamic changes science. and we really DO want more women to come and contribute. because they really can. and whenever they do, they become one of the most interesting women in the world.

Cheers. smiley

Lalasticlala, dominique, Robinhez, johnydon22 and his freecocoa, dekatron, Xploraben, Sirwere, freemanan, Llaykorn, Mathschic . . . and other interesting people of the world . . .

This list is not complete you guys forgot to include my great-grand mother MADAM AKON ETIM ASUQUO.
, she invented how to fry akara and how to fry ijebu garri

2 Likes

Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Saheed9: 10:38pm On Jan 06, 2016
This is the kind of thread worthy of Frontpage.
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by anigold(m): 10:39pm On Jan 06, 2016
Teempakguy:

I know, there are no desirable men here. we're all scrawny nerds, but still . . . grin

I've always Admired female scientists . . . even before i became a main stream scientist, all my crushes were scientists . . . they were also dead people, so . . . i never got to express my feelings . . . thanks.
so I thought to share my crush collection to you guys, right? because that's totally normal.
so, here, I present to you, my crushes in this world, Seven of my most favorite female scientists, The list of the most interesting women in the world. cool cool

Emmy Noether
[img]http://www.agnesscott.edu/lriddle/women/noether.jpg[/img] Hmmmn . . . nice curves . . . sorry, i mean, embarassed
Emmy Noether was a female Jewish German scientist. she was both a mathematician and theoretical physicist. She was actually one of the leading mathematicians of her time! shocked She has a theorem called Noether theorem that explains the relationship between symmetry and conservation laws. and hey, Albert Einstein, pavel Alexandrov , and hermann weyl referred to her as THE most important woman in the entire history of mathematics. not to mention her cur . . . sorry, contributions to physics. abstract algebra, topology and mathematical rings.

Grace Hopper

so this lady right here, is just too amazing. she was both a soldier AND a scientist. she is often referred to as amazing grace. she, invented the first complier, invented the word, debugging, contributed to the development of one of the first high level programming languages, she was a navy rear admiral . . . she was one of the first programmers of the havard mark I computer, she was one of the developers of UNIVAC . . . can i hear a slow clap from there?

Ada Lovelace
[img]http://2.bp..com/-ZA6yTXr7mI0/UMYHMnvnD_I/AAAAAAAACoI/j3-Txr0MRZo/s1600/Google-Doodle197thBdayAdaLovelacePortrt.jpg[/img]

anyway, Ada lovelace, the curvy goddess of computer science, is the first programmer in the world. that's right, you guys in the programming section . . . a lady beat you to it. sorry. cheesy
so, she died at the age of 36, sad a minute silence . . . she was a British mathematician, who is, not only the first person to program, but the first person to design an algorithm. because she's just that cool. she was a countess, and she was also the first person to realize that the power of computers was more than just calculations. she envisioned that they could eventually be used for doing things that can be broken down logically. just like your computer can now play videos. instead of just doing calculations.

marie curie

If you don't Already know this woman, then . . . where have you been? come on! anyway, she was polish . . . and, you know, became french . . . concerning the nobel prize, she is the only woman to win twice, the first person to win twice, and the only person to win twice in multiple sciences(take that . . . Albert . . . lipsrsealed)
she died at 66, which is generally a good age, i guess. i mean, come on, you know when Blaise pascal died? even without radio activity. angry
so, she coined the term, radioactivity, she Isolated two elements, polonium and radium, and she also dabbled into medicine as well, figuring out, miraculously, no doubt, how to use radioactivity to treat certain illnesses! she became the director of the red cross radiology service, and went Florence nightingale on everyone. cool cool her contributions will never be forgotten at all in the history of science.
(wipes tears. )

Irene Joliot curie
[img]http://saintssistersandsluts.files./2012/08/irc3a8ne_joliot-curie_1897-1956_c-_1935.jpg[/img]

yeah. so . . . she is also a nobel prize winner. and she also worked on radioactivity. and Oh, she shared the prize with her husband. shocked
anyway, her mother got the prize for natural radioactivity, and she got the prize for artificial radioactivity. sad
i know, right? i told you the list contains the most interesting women in the world, didn't I? grin. and her daughter is also a very prominent scientist. talk about strong genes. grin
unfortunately, she also got killed by radiation . . . (fine, robinhez may have a point. embarassed) but who cares, right? she's still a gem in the field of science. cool cool cool

Alice Ball

A minute silence for our blood sister here. yup, she is a black lady. and she died at the age of 24. so young. so painful. and she has only one picture to her credit. who knows what she might have accomplished if she'd lived longer. just at that young age, she already had a masters degree. and, she developed a treatment for leprosy for more than twenty years. what's really interesting about her is what more she could have done. sad imagine if Einstein had died at 24. angry

Sofia Kovalevskaya
[img]http://cdn.ruvr.ru/2011/08/10/1252589782/Sofja_Wassiljewna_Kowalewskaja_1.jpg[/img]

anyway, this lady right here, is my most recently discovered female scientist. And she didn't disappoint at all. she made several significant contributions to analysis(calculus is a subset of this.) partial differential equations, and mechanics. she was the first female professor in Russia, she also introduced the Cauchy-Kovalevskaya theorem. not that hard to grasp if you're good in math, i guess. here, take a look. grin [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy%E2%80%93Kovalevskaya_theorem[/url]

So, i guess my point is, what a man can do . . . a woman can equally do. grin. and we have always learned in science that anytime a woman is involved, something entirely dynamic changes science. and we really DO want more women to come and contribute. because they really can. and whenever they do, they become one of the most interesting women in the world.

Cheers. smiley

Lalasticlala, dominique, Robinhez, johnydon22 and his freecocoa, dekatron, Xploraben, Sirwere, freemanan, Llaykorn, Mathschic . . . and other interesting people of the world . . .

meanwhile some ladies here are professional baby mamas..

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jan 06, 2016
fajani:
where are our generation ladies... they all turn to Olosho
we are here ooooooooo
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by anigold(m): 10:42pm On Jan 06, 2016
Krystalzkris:
lovely women.... I love their efforts.... gringrin.... Anybody noticed they were mostly physicists Where are my biologists?

abeg are u from moscow,Russia. abeg how do u pronounced this your user name.. I think if I can pronounce it I will be due for a noble prize...
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Mrlekan07034617: 10:45pm On Jan 06, 2016
Freemanan:
My apologies my intellectual colleague but I have to deviate a bit...

THE FACT THAT NO AFRICAN WOMAN COMES TO MIND IN THIS SUBJECT SPEAKS VOLUME.

IT FURTHER BUTTRESS THE FACT THAT THE PLACE OF THE WOMEN ARE IN THE CITADEL OF TRIVIAL AND EMOTIONAL CUM CULINARY FIELDS.

THIS HAS TO CHANGE...

IHATAGO??

Freemanan:

[b]THE FACT THAT NO AFRICAN WOMAN COMES TO MIND IN THIS SUBJECT SPEAKS VOLUME.

IT FURTHER BUTTRESS THE FACT THAT THE PLACE OF THE WOMEN ARE IN THE CITADEL OF TRIVIAL AND EMOTIONAL CUM CULINARY FIELDS.

THIS HAS TO CHANGE...

IHATAGO??

[/b]
Freemanan:

THIS HAS TO CHANGE...

IHATAGO??

On point bro!!
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jan 06, 2016
...been a while I read a thread with an excellent dose of sanity....Thanks Op for sharing!

...2016 go make sense afterall...
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by twosquare(m): 10:49pm On Jan 06, 2016
That Alice Ball story and profile touched my heart...
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Quavo101(m): 10:51pm On Jan 06, 2016
Okay
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jan 06, 2016
List is incomplete without Inge Lehmann. She discovered Lehmann discontinuity.

See also: https://www.quora.com/Who-were-the-best-female-physicists-of-the-20th-century
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by SpotlezDonald25(m): 10:58pm On Jan 06, 2016
Freemanan:

THIS HAS TO CHANGE...

IHATAGO??

Oga!! Aghotarom cha cha. The oyibo digodi xcess
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by charlesucheh(m): 11:00pm On Jan 06, 2016
Teempakguy:

Emmy Noether
Emmy Noether was a female Jewish German scientist. she was both a mathematician and theoretical physicist. She was actually one of the HABA!! NO NIGERIAN??leading mathematicians of her time! shocked She has a theorem called Noether theorem that explains the relationship between symmetry and conservation laws. and hey, Albert Einstein, pavel Alexandrov , and hermann weyl referred to her as THE most important woman in the entire history of mathematics. not to mention her cur . . . sorry, contributions to physics. abstract algebra, topology and mathematical rings.

Grace Hopper

Ada Lovelace

marie curie

(wipes tears. )

Irene Joliot curie

Alice Ball

Sofia Kovalevskaya

Cheers. smiley

Lalasticlal.a, dominique, Robinhez, johnydon22 and his freecocoa, dekatron, Xploraben, Sirwere, freemanan, Llaykorn, Mathschic . . . and other interesting people of the world . . .
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jan 06, 2016
SpotlezDonald25:

Oga!! Aghotarom cha cha. The oyibo digodi xcess
Nsogbu adiro...
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by cashcity: 11:15pm On Jan 06, 2016
Nowaday ladyz spend time in make up and looking for who is interested and who is not interested in dating them. Things have really changed.

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by sparkleboy(m): 11:19pm On Jan 06, 2016
Interesting thread
Nice one
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jan 06, 2016
Adaure4ever:
My own invention is coming soon.

Which field ?
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by adwaani(m): 11:25pm On Jan 06, 2016
mrphysics:
Nice write up @ Teempakguy. Marie curie was a great woman. she died due to the large amount of radiation in her body. she kept working and today we all have benefited from her work.

just like someone mentioned, they are many Nigerian female scientists that should make that list. one that am very sure is Prof.F.N.Okeke a laureate. she won a prize in 2014 as one of the five world best female scientists, which her work on ionosphere got her. mayhaps the topic isn't general but anyone in atmospheric physics should know about the ionosphere and her works.

Also, in the area of bioenergy, Dr. Mrs Ezekoye is doing great, her research has been published in a high impact journals.

thanks anyway.

proffessor F N okeke is truly a gem.Not to rain on your parade but she is not a nobel laureate if that's what the laureate in your post implies.But she did win the loreal unesco awards,not the same as the nobel laureate awards.It takes a special breed to win that award,we are talking scientists comparable to nils bohr,john nash,enrico Fermi and co
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by adroitvezy(m): 11:28pm On Jan 06, 2016
Sheikwonder:
What I am about to write may not go down well with some folks,especially those of a certain gender. Yet what has to be said has to be said.

I think that there is an inherent limitation for women when it comes to reasoning,logic & science.I do not have data to back up these claim,but this opinion stems from observation.

The field of science is highly skewed in the favor of men. Why that is,is another debate entirely. So say you have 1 female to every 30 males,it would be tough for her to be the best because the odds are stacked against her. Suppose though that this one lady has the will and grit to come out top[barring externalities such as gender bias,etc],she may go on to be a legend,Marie Curie being a case in point.

For context,look at the world of chess-a game that requires strategy & precise thinking-how many females do you know that play chess? In fact,Judith Polgar is the only female GM ever and even she has dropped out due to the intensity involved in it.

I'm open to a debate on the matter...
bro there are hundred's of female gm in chess that i know. Kindly go to www.fide.com to check the list of female chess rating. As a matter of fact judith polgar was not the 1st female gm (she was only the youngest female gm then). Male chess player are better than there female counterparts using fide ratings. You can't compare magnus carlsen, aronian, caruana, nakamura, anand... To hou yifan, pia cramling e.t.c

sorry for the many many info. I too love CHESS.
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Amhappy(f): 11:36pm On Jan 06, 2016
Great women esp that Marie Curie. Women are going places since time immemorial.
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by XploraBen(m): 11:50pm On Jan 06, 2016
I love it when the female folk possess profound intellectual capability.Let women show the menfolk that they can no longer be seen as inferior in:any discipline or area of study,science & technology,career and profession.Myself,I'm an admirer of intelligent women.

Women are the inventors of:
Bulletproof vests
Fire escapes
Windshield vipers
laser printers et al
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jan 06, 2016
cheesy OP thanks for this.
Now where are all the stewpid misogynists on nairaland that keep saying that girls/women are not good enough to be educated? come and see this!
Maybe Nigeria would be a better place if women were treated better and given equal opportunities
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by finestpicks(m): 12:17am On Jan 07, 2016
Feminist much,no be fight kwanu

Girls deserve to be educated too,every educated non-idiot knows that.Scratch that,even uneducated persons know that fact
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Ibegbud: 12:32am On Jan 07, 2016
Another woman i respect is Marie-Sophie Germain... A great French mathematician and physicist... Remembered for her work on elasticity theory and differential geometry.

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by shepherd77: 12:39am On Jan 07, 2016
Sheikwonder:
What I am about to write may not go down well with some folks,especially those of a certain gender. Yet what has to be said has to be said.

I think that there is an inherent limitation for women when it comes to reasoning,logic & science.I do not have data to back up these claim,but this opinion stems from observation.

The field of science is highly skewed in the favor of men. Why that is,is another debate entirely. So say you have 1 female to every 30 males,it would be tough for her to be the best because the odds are stacked against her. Suppose though that this one lady has the will and grit to come out top[barring externalities such as gender bias,etc],she may go on to be a legend,Marie Curie being a case in point.

For context,look at the world of chess-a game that requires strategy & precise thinking-how many females do you know that play chess? In fact,Judith Polgar is the only female GM ever and even she has dropped out due to the intensity involved in it.

I'm open to a debate on the matter...

So which field is not skewed against women?

Politics - men, sports - men, literature - men, arts - men, military - men, religion - men, you name it.

I don't believe reasoning and
Logic is the cause.

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by denisotugo(m): 1:00am On Jan 07, 2016
Most Girls Studying Science In Nigeria At The End Of The Day Will Become Makeup-Artist

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Stove That Uses Battery Spotted In Aba today!!! See For Yourself / The Wolf Moon Rises, Coincides With Lunar Eclipse / Giant Sunspot Has Doubled In Size And Is Pointed Right At Earth ( Pic, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.