Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,895 members, 7,810,439 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) (39385 Views)

Some Interesting Facts About Cumulonimbus Clouds / Some Interesting Facts About Mining And Earth's Ocean. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by mentorandfriend(m): 8:38am On Jan 07, 2016
This thread is highly welcome. More stuffs like this should be trending on the front page, to deliver our ladies from stupidity and from skewed mentality; too much obsession about trendy fashion, wrestlemania sex, celebrity weddings, and drunken, sodomic pool parties.

And yes, too much of Tiwa, Toke, and Tontoh on front page is bad.
wink

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Dainikel(m): 8:40am On Jan 07, 2016
Teempakguy:
One thing we've always been agitiating for in this section is the ladies.

I know, there are no desirable men here. we're all scrawny nerds, but still . . . grin

I've always Admired female scientists . . . even before i became a main stream scientist, all my crushes were scientists . . . they were also dead people, so . . . i never got to express my feelings . . . thanks.
so I thought to share my crush collection to you guys, right? because that's totally normal.
so, here, I present to you, my crushes in this world, Seven of my most favorite female scientists, The list of the most interesting women in the world. cool cool

Emmy Noether
[img]http://www.agnesscott.edu/lriddle/women/noether.jpg[/img] Hmmmn . . . nice curves . . . sorry, i mean, embarassed
Emmy Noether was a female Jewish German scientist. she was both a mathematician and theoretical physicist. She was actually one of the leading mathematicians of her time! shocked She has a theorem called Noether theorem that explains the relationship between symmetry and conservation laws. and hey, Albert Einstein, pavel Alexandrov , and hermann weyl referred to her as THE most important woman in the entire history of mathematics. not to mention her cur . . . sorry, contributions to physics. abstract algebra, topology and mathematical rings.

Grace Hopper

Okay fine . . . maybe she isn't that good looking . . . to shallow guys. tongue
so this lady right here, is just too amazing. she was both a soldier AND a scientist. she is often referred to as amazing grace. she, invented the first complier, invented the word, debugging, contributed to the development of one of the first high level programming languages, she was a navy rear admiral . . . she was one of the first programmers of the havard mark I computer, she was one of the developers of UNIVAC . . . can i hear a slow clap from there?

Ada Lovelace
[img]http://2.bp..com/-ZA6yTXr7mI0/UMYHMnvnD_I/AAAAAAAACoI/j3-Txr0MRZo/s1600/Google-Doodle197thBdayAdaLovelacePortrt.jpg[/img]

What attracts so many women to computing?
anyway, Ada lovelace, the curvy goddess of computer science, is the first programmer in the world. that's right, you guys in the programming section . . . a lady beat you to it. sorry. cheesy
so, she died at the age of 36, sad a minute silence . . . she was a British mathematician, who is, not only the first person to program, but the first person to design an algorithm. because she's just that cool. she was a countess, and she was also the first person to realize that the power of computers was more than just calculations. she envisioned that they could eventually be used for doing things that can be broken down logically. just like your computer can now play videos. instead of just doing calculations.

marie curie

If you don't Already know this woman, then . . . where have you been? come on! anyway, she was polish . . . and, you know, became french . . . concerning the nobel prize, she is the only woman to win twice, the first person to win twice, and the only person to win twice in multiple sciences(take that . . . Albert . . . lipsrsealed)
she died at 66, which is generally a good age, i guess. i mean, come on, you know when Blaise pascal died? even without radio activity. angry
so, she coined the term, radioactivity, she Isolated two elements, polonium and radium, and she also dabbled into medicine as well, figuring out, miraculously, no doubt, how to use radioactivity to treat certain illnesses! she became the director of the red cross radiology service, and went Florence nightingale on everyone. cool cool her contributions will never be forgotten at all in the history of science.
(wipes tears. )

Irene Joliot curie
[img]http://saintssistersandsluts.files./2012/08/irc3a8ne_joliot-curie_1897-1956_c-_1935.jpg[/img]

Notice something? yeah me too. she is the daughter of marie curie.
yeah. so . . . she is also a nobel prize winner. and she also worked on radioactivity. and Oh, she shared the prize with her husband. shocked
anyway, her mother got the prize for natural radioactivity, and she got the prize for artificial radioactivity. sad
i know, right? i told you the list contains the most interesting women in the world, didn't I? grin. and her daughter is also a very prominent scientist. talk about strong genes. grin
unfortunately, she also got killed by radiation . . . (fine, robinhez may have a point. embarassed) but who cares, right? she's still a gem in the field of science. cool cool cool

Alice Ball

A minute silence for our blood sister here. yup, she is a black lady. and she died at the age of 24. so young. so painful. and she has only one picture to her credit. who knows what she might have accomplished if she'd lived longer. just at that young age, she already had a masters degree. and, she developed a treatment for leprosy for more than twenty years. what's really interesting about her is what more she could have done. sad imagine if Einstein had died at 24. angry

Sofia Kovalevskaya
[img]http://cdn.ruvr.ru/2011/08/10/1252589782/Sofja_Wassiljewna_Kowalewskaja_1.jpg[/img]

Russians and their impossible to pronounce names . . . smh . . .
anyway, this lady right here, is my most recently discovered female scientist. And she didn't disappoint at all. she made several significant contributions to analysis(calculus is a subset of this.) partial differential equations, and mechanics. she was the first female professor in Russia, she also introduced the Cauchy-Kovalevskaya theorem. not that hard to grasp if you're good in math, i guess. here, take a look. grin [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy%E2%80%93Kovalevskaya_theorem[/url]

So, i guess my point is, what a man can do . . . a woman can equally do. grin. and we have always learned in science that anytime a woman is involved, something entirely dynamic changes science. and we really DO want more women to come and contribute. because they really can. and whenever they do, they become one of the most interesting women in the world.

Cheers. smiley

Just the kinda topic worthy of FP!
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Sheikwonder(m): 9:01am On Jan 07, 2016
adroitvezy:

bro there are hundred's of female gm in chess that i know. Kindly go to www.fide.com to check the list of female chess rating. As a matter of fact judith polgar was not the 1st female gm (she was only the youngest female gm then). Male chess player are better than there female counterparts using fide ratings. You can't compare magnus carlsen, aronian, caruana, nakamura, anand... To hou yifan, pia cramling e.t.c

sorry for the many many info. I too love CHESS.

I meant this in the context of women who play in the male category. As at when I last checked only polgar is on that list.
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Raplinx(m): 9:34am On Jan 07, 2016
mrphysics:

I sent you a mail, check your mail sir
i didnt see anything. Pls givé me ur email. Since i cant have ur phone numba
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by mrphysics(m): 10:23am On Jan 07, 2016
Raplinx:
i didnt see anything. Pls givé me ur email. Since i cant have ur phone numba
njokuchuks4u@gmail.com
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by taheer88(m): 10:23am On Jan 07, 2016
gud
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by ceeceeuwa: 11:28am On Jan 07, 2016
There are so many female professors excelling in their fields of studies in Nigeria, but how can these ones be noticed when our society idolizes celebrities? We should lay precedence for our young ones and such can be done in a forum like this by promoting and moving educational topics to front page. Enough of Davido and Sophia trash, Tonto Dike and Mr. X...
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by mrwonlasewonie: 12:42pm On Jan 07, 2016
Freemanan:

She got African root. Dazall... Good morning.
exactly
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Krystalzkris(f): 1:48pm On Jan 07, 2016
anigold:
where is the venue for the tutorial. your house? well I need to where helmet in case someone tries to break my head.. u know what I mean..
lol
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Niceman4u(m): 3:27pm On Jan 07, 2016
lovely post, science is inborn in curie family. Irène Joliot-Curie's children that is marie's grandchildren are also in the field of science. The children Helene and pierre are both scientists with the former being a Nuclear physicist and the latter being a biologist.
I envy this height
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by KanwuliaJara: 4:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
1miccza:

Hahahahahahaa "Afraid" catsh Aunty straight ooo

I fear oooooo!!!!
Na ojoro title be dat o. grin
Who dash awo lipstick? cheesy
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by fajani(m): 4:57pm On Jan 07, 2016
lol
naughtynaughty:
we are here ooooooooo
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by OROSUNBOLB(m): 8:00pm On Jan 07, 2016
[quote author=Sheikwonder post=41141766]What I am about to write may not go down well with some folks,especially those of a certain gender. Yet what has to be said has to be said.

I think that there is an inherent limitation for women when it comes to reasoning,logic & science.I do not have data to back up these claim,but this opinion stems from observation.

The field of science is highly skewed in the favor of men. Why that is,is another debate entirely. So say you have 1 female to every 30 males,it would be tough for her to be the best because the odds are stacked against her. Suppose though that this one lady has the will and grit to come out top[barring externalities such as gender bias,etc],she may go on to be a legend,Marie Curie being a case in point.

For context,look at the world of chess-a game that requires strategy & precise thinking-how many females do you know that play chess? In fact,Judith Polgar is the only female GM ever and even she has dropped out due to the intensity involved in it.

I'm open to a debate on the matter...[/quote

I can't agree less,nice observation.
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by 1miccza: 8:09pm On Jan 07, 2016
KanwuliaJara:

I fear oooooo!!!!
Na ojoro title be dat o. grin
Who dash awo lipstick? cheesy

Hahahahaahahhahaha the guy give you promotion now,you no wan get title?make your pinshure enter book?
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by jbichene(m): 8:12pm On Jan 07, 2016
Krystalzkris:
i dont think so.. Biological discoveries aint all about observation and its not as easy as you think... Op just loves physics..
okay ,maybe it's because I have always disliked biology right from secondary or maybe not ,but lets be practical here how can you compare a field like zoology or microbiology to Astro-physics or even traditional physics, its easier to make speculations and hypothesis about things you were born into and grew up around but but on the other hand astro physics takes you to an almost new environment, when you try to explain stuff as complicated as the universe or quantum theory, even behavior of sub atomic particles ,dark matter ,black holes you'll feel the gap or differences b/w the difficulties in the fields.
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jan 11, 2016
sometimes I ask myself if teempakguy has a vendetta against biologist and chemistsundecided... his lists are mostly about physicists and mathematicians

anyway, I got to know more brilliant ladies, tho they're dead buh then its worth knowing and admiring their work.... Tho I've always known and admire Curie, sometimes I even ask myself

how did her husband feel, knowing he is banging a woman who had won 2 Nobel prizes?undecided
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jan 11, 2016
Preboy:
sometimes I ask myself if teempakguy has a vendetta against biologist and chemistsundecided... his lists are mostly about physicists and mathematicians

anyway, I got to know more brilliant ladies, tho they're dead buh then its worth knowing and admiring their work.... Tho I've always known and admire Curie, sometimes I even ask myself

how did her husband feel, knowing he is banging a woman who had won 2 Nobel prizes?undecided
It's just that i want other people to take up that part. I don't want to be a monopolist. besides, i don't think i know enough of biology and chemistry to know who is more worthy of recognition than others.

meanwhile, actually, pierre curie, marie curie's husband, co won the first nobel prize she won with her. the second one, she got after he died in a ghastly accident.

Hmmn, i probably should have included that. as a note for lazy widows. lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by Nobody: 8:41am On Jan 12, 2016
Teempakguy:
It's just that i want other people to take up that part. I don't want to be a monopolist. besides, i don't think i know enough of biology and chemistry to know who is more worthy of recognition than others.

meanwhile, actually, pierre curie, marie curie's husband, co won the first nobel prize she won with her. the second one, she got after he died in a ghastly accident.

Hmmn, i probably should have included that. as a note for lazy widows. lipsrsealed
nice... didn't know all that

BTW.... WTF are lazy widows?undecided
Re: Some Interesting Female Scientists (Photos) by thinkafricanet: 12:24am On Oct 23, 2018
My apologies my intellectual colleague but I have to deviate a bit...

THE FACT THAT NO AFRICAN WOMAN COMES TO MIND IN THIS SUBJECT SPEAKS VOLUME.

IT FURTHER BUTTRESS THE FACT THAT THE PLACE OF THE WOMEN ARE IN THE CITADEL OF TRIVIAL AND EMOTIONAL CUM CULINARY FIELDS.

THIS HAS TO CHANGE...

IHATAGO??
there are quite a few actually . Mary Jackson,

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2118526-when-computers-were-human-the-black-women-behind-nasas-success/

Better to check the facts before believing the lie.

That kind of original list is called “sample neglect”.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Stove That Uses Battery Spotted In Aba today!!! See For Yourself / The Wolf Moon Rises, Coincides With Lunar Eclipse / Giant Sunspot Has Doubled In Size And Is Pointed Right At Earth ( Pic, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.