Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics (18707 Views)

Dollar Scarcity: Banks Suspend ATM Card Usage Abroad / Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics / CBN Halts Branch Operations By Bureaux De Change #Emefieleconomics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by 989900: 4:08pm On Dec 17, 2015
Psalm18:
Small scale businesses are falling.
On the economy, I'll rate Buhari an 'E'.
The world has evolved from the military regime.
Ultimately a government will be judged and returned by the electorate in a free and fair elections on how well the economy is faring.
The war against corruption is good and noble but it can go side by side with sound financial decisions.

Very soon, people will be worn out of hearing we are recovering monies from the last government if their economic needs are not met.
A warning for the wise.

On the money!

$ is now N270.

Buhari, we will kick you out, just as we did the clueless one.

2 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by manny4life(m): 4:11pm On Dec 17, 2015
diva90:

It's too early to rate Buhari. He's still in the recovery stage... I mean don't expect him to do in 8 months what the past administration couldn't do in 6 years! Non of this mess that we are in is his fault. This is the work of the past administration and their corrupt practices.

This is not the work of the past administration, yall should leave GEJ alone. President GEJ had his flaws, he was good in some areas like the economy but was terrible in some other areas like managing corruption. Nigeria hasn't had it this bad in several years, the damage on the economy right now will takes years to restore. The exchange is high, our economy is unstable right now, our national security (domestic) is very unstable, so tell me, was it as bad as this?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by 989900: 4:14pm On Dec 17, 2015
manny4life:

This is not the work of the past administration, yall should leave GEJ alone. President GEJ had his flaws, he was good in some areas like the economy but was terrible in some other areas like managing corruption. Nigeria hasn't had it this bad in several years, the damage on the economy right now will takes years to restore. The exchange is high, our economy is unstable right now, our national security (domestic) is very unstable, so tell me, was it as bad as this?

Apparently, this is lack of competence or muscle to come up with smart monetary policies.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by 7lives: 4:15pm On Dec 17, 2015
dmostcheerful:

what was the exchange rate before he took over......

why did it suddenly got worst when he assumed duty.
let's just stop being sentimental here.
ever since pmb took over things has gotten from bad to worst....

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin What an elderly sees sitting, the young may never see even if he or she climbs the Everest.
You better thank God say baba won that election " Nigerians for don hear, am ask the Greeks " dollar is on steroids now and Nigeria ain't got it period.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by 989900: 4:17pm On Dec 17, 2015
This is less about luxurious goods, rather, more about importing refined petroleum products which takes the largest chunk by far of our forex.

How about importing chicken, turkey, palm oil . . . duh!
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by asha80(m): 4:21pm On Dec 17, 2015
989900:
This is less about luxurious goods, rather, more about importing refined petroleum products which takes the largest chunk by far of our forex.

How about importing chicken, turkey, palm oil . . . duh!
maybe that was why restrictions were put on 41 items that the second paragraph belongs

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by o42austino(m): 4:28pm On Dec 17, 2015
AZeD1:
There are two sides to a coin and the optimistic side of this is rather that spend the scarce dollars Nigerians will start patronising "made in Nigeria" goods
what of the products that are not produce in Nigeria?, product like computer, phones and electronics?, what will now happen to mini importers?.

To be honest this policy lacks vision, wisdom and the present reality on ground.

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by 989900: 4:29pm On Dec 17, 2015
Sadly, the people don't know this is when they should be on the streets remonstrating.

Technically, your income just got cut in HALF in value from same amount sometime in June 2014.

Fuel prices will definitely skyrocket now -- wait for it!

Welcome, inflation.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by AZeD1(m): 4:33pm On Dec 17, 2015
o42austino:
what of the products that are not produce in Nigeria?, product like computer, phones and electronics?, what will now happen to mini importers?.

To be honest this policy lacks vision, wisdom and the present reality on ground.
People who import electronics don't pay with cards.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by o42austino(m): 4:43pm On Dec 17, 2015
AZeD1:

People who import electronics don't pay with cards.
I will disagree with u here, since the rise in dollar many importers are mow opening many account with each account having Visa and master card, that's y market price for this goods has not really change with the rise in Dollars.

When they are travelling they will carry this card, that's y u see on newspapers that custom arrest people with over 100cards on them.

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by Flets: 4:49pm On Dec 17, 2015
7lives:

I support every policy that will stop Naira from becoming toilet rolls, our leaders mad crave for foreign luxury is the reason for the state of Naira.
Norway is expected to make a net withdrawal from its sovereign wealth fund this year for the first time since the SWF was set up, to help pay for tax cuts designed to stimulate the economy. Its $830 billion fund is the world's largest, holding about 1.3 percent of global stocks.
People like us are called fools and illiterates whenever we tell Nigerians to vote for credible leaders imagine this nonsense, as far back as 2013 when oil price was at its peak " the report by BGL Securities Limited revealed that while Norway, the country with the single largest SWF of $737.2 billion, has daily oil production of 1.92 million barrels per day (bpd); Saudi Arabia with $657.9 billion has 11.55 million bpd production; United Arab Emirates (UAE) with $627 billion has 3.21 million bpd production and Kuwait with $386 billion produces 2.78 million bpd "

Furthermore, it showed that Algeria with $77.2 billion has 1.8 million bpd oil production while Nigeria with only $1 billion set aside for the SWF produces about 2.2 million bpd grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin, " absolute total rubbish.
If only Nigeria is blessed with visionary leaders, Nigeria would have managed to save as much as $120 billion as far back as 2013 and i want every sane mind reading this to imagine how much Nigerian would have as SWF with 10% interest rates as at today.
But what do we have?, " CHOP AND QUENCH SQUANDER MANIACS OR SHOULD I SAY PRODIGAL LEADERS ". it shall never be well with all of them.

Nice thoughts. ..... However the current power, works and housing minister and his fellow APC criminals termed it illegal strongly opposed the SWF and termed it illegal

2 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 17, 2015
unmask:
See them blaming buhari already......you want to spend your hard earned naira? Go ahead and spend it..... Dont complain about hard earned dollars by the cbn? Were expecting a rosy ride.....16 years of rot isn't washed out in 6 months ........sit and enjoy the ride.
Thank u hare, ur banks say they can longer carry ur burden of making naira here in Nigeria and spending it there in dollars. If ur banks agree with the high costs of inter bank settlement, then they should go ahead. This is their (banks) idea not Buhari's. BTW, if u want to enjoy ur hard earned dollar, go abroad and work hard for ur dollars. Sh******t.

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 17, 2015
unmask:
See them blaming buhari already......you want to spend your hard earned naira? Go ahead and spend it..... Dont complain about hard earned dollars by the cbn? Were expecting a rosy ride.....16 years of rot isn't washed out in 6 months ........sit and enjoy the ride.
Thank u jare, ur banks say they can longer carry ur burden of making naira here in Nigeria and spending it there in dollars. If ur banks agree with the high costs of inter bank settlement, then they should go ahead. This is their (banks) idea not Buhari's. BTW, if u want to enjoy ur hard earned dollar, go abroad and work hard for ur dollars. Sh******t.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by Nobody: 4:50pm On Dec 17, 2015
unmask:
Thank u jare, ur banks say they can no longer carry ur burden of making naira here in Nigeria and spending it there in dollars. If ur banks agree with the high costs of inter bank settlement, then they should go ahead. This is their (banks) idea not Buhari's. BTW, if u want to enjoy ur hard earned dollar, go abroad and work hard for ur dollars. Sh******t.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by tivta(m): 5:07pm On Dec 17, 2015
It has begun...
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by eaccyboy(m): 5:34pm On Dec 17, 2015
Daslim180:
Hmmm.............. Oyah, I know some people will come here to blame PMB now.

It's for the main time sha!
lol...u foolish allah

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by Donkunxex(m): 5:39pm On Dec 17, 2015
Sack this guy buhari before our economy go down d drain
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by onyxo76(m): 5:39pm On Dec 17, 2015
pyx:
This is a serious error, I left Nigeria with just $200 to avoid travelling will cash on getting to bank of America. I was surprised when I requested for just $500 withdrawal. It declined payment until I changed it to $100.
I called my bank in Nigeria,only to be informed that $100 is the maximum withdrawal limit and $1000 is the monthly withdrawal limit.
This is error 101
bros which bank do you use? i intend travelling out this coming january and i intend using my gtb mastercard...i hope it doesn't affect gtb...
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by omonnakoda: 5:56pm On Dec 17, 2015
porchester:
This is serious limiting the amount you can spend out of your personal money. Money you have worked for from January to December. Oga oooo. It is well
Your personal money is NAIRA you can spend as much as you like or did you put dollars into the bank?

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by omonnakoda: 6:02pm On Dec 17, 2015
Flets:

Nice thoughts. ..... However the current power, works and housing minister and his fellow APC criminals termed it illegal strongly opposed the SWF and termed it illegal
It was illegal and unconstitutional (STILL IS) to use the State Government's money for SWF without their consent. Nothing stopped the FG from going it alone or with a coalition of willing states. By the way the money spent on Uyo stadium could have built a refinery. I wonder how much money that stadium is generating

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by john650(m): 9:27pm On Dec 17, 2015
Seunaj05:
One of the things that the present administration seems to lack is a financial expatriate. It's appearing that the present administration is not managing the economy so well. Our economy does not necessarily have to crash because the price of oil is going down.
They appointed an accountant/auditor as the Finance Minister. She does not have the requisite economics background required of someone in her position to make an input. That's why no one hears from her. We are in a lot of problem.

2 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by owagbeba: 9:59pm On Dec 17, 2015
7lives:

I support every policy that will stop Naira from becoming toilet rolls, our leaders mad crave for foreign luxury is the reason for the state of Naira.
Norway is expected to make a net withdrawal from its sovereign wealth fund this year for the first time since the SWF was set up, to help pay for tax cuts designed to stimulate the economy. Its $830 billion fund is the world's largest, holding about 1.3 percent of global stocks.
People like us are called fools and illiterates whenever we tell Nigerians to vote for credible leaders imagine this nonsense, as far back as 2013 when oil price was at its peak " the report by BGL Securities Limited revealed that while Norway, the country with the single largest SWF of $737.2 billion, has daily oil production of 1.92 million barrels per day (bpd); Saudi Arabia with $657.9 billion has 11.55 million bpd production; United Arab Emirates (UAE) with $627 billion has 3.21 million bpd production and Kuwait with $386 billion produces 2.78 million bpd "

Furthermore, it showed that Algeria with $77.2 billion has 1.8 million bpd oil production while Nigeria with only $1 billion set aside for the SWF produces about 2.2 million bpd grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin, " absolute total rubbish.
If only Nigeria is blessed with visionary leaders, Nigeria would have managed to save as much as $120 billion as far back as 2013 and i want every sane mind reading this to imagine how much Nigerian would have as SWF with 10% interest rates as at today.
But what do we have?, " CHOP AND QUENCH SQUANDER MANIACS OR SHOULD I SAY PRODIGAL LEADERS ". it shall never be well with all of them.

Nice.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by unmask: 11:20pm On Dec 17, 2015
preetyb:

Its people like u that can't forgive others when they wrong you haba!... Pls I am tired of hearing 16 years already, every one is aware of the incompetence of the past administrations and that is why change was given a chance but instead of enforcing the change positively, all we keep hearing is 16 yrs of mis rule. That means APC is incompetent too. Cus if u have solution to a problem u just go ahead and solve it instead of crying over it.
the path to the solution isn't rosy......your naira won't become strong if you keep paying in dollars......I would have thought the wailings would have been directed at lack of initiatives for local manufacturing rather than the cost of a dollar in naira......I support the FG on the dollar policy

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by preetyb(f): 11:37pm On Dec 17, 2015
unmask:
the path to the solution isn't rosy......your naira won't become strong if you keep paying in dollars......I would have thought the wailings would have been directed at lack of initiatives for local manufacturing rather than the cost of a dollar in naira......I support the FG on the dollar policy
Then let them do whatever is best for the country and not to be going back and front.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by October1960: 5:51am On Dec 18, 2015
This man said it all!

7lives:

Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by Daslim180(m): 9:45am On Dec 18, 2015
eaccyboy:
lol...u foolish allah

You are stupid....... If you are among those people that always put every blame on Buhari, then you are outta point.
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by emonkey(m): 10:20pm On Dec 19, 2015
Daslim180:

You are stupid....... If you are among those people that always put every blame on Buhari, then you are outta point.

You definitely look like one of those people that always put every blame on PDP/GEJ too grin grin
Re: Dollar Scarcity: Banks Cut Customers’ Spending Abroad By 80% #Emefieleconomics by Daslim180(m): 5:02am On Dec 20, 2015
emonkey:

You definitely look like one of those people that always put every blame on PDP/GEJ too grin grin

I'm giving you an assignment to go through all my comments and tell me where ever you find me blaming PDP/GEJ

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Naira To Reverse Losses This Week, Banks To Process FX Transactions Within 24hrs / Help! Bulk Sms / Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.