Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,940 members, 7,814,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It (43652 Views)

Just Got A Caucasian Shepherd Dog. I Need Tips. / Got Myself A New Puppy Today / Checkout This Video Of A PARROT PRAYING IN Islam.(video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by Dinirojones(m): 5:40pm On Dec 18, 2015
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by madgoat(m): 5:40pm On Dec 18, 2015
kiss
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by Shortyy(f): 5:40pm On Dec 18, 2015
who cares?? feed it cow dung
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by kayultimate(m): 5:40pm On Dec 18, 2015
oya clap for yourself
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by onlineadejoh(m): 5:42pm On Dec 18, 2015
So why is this making front page ?
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by Koolking(m): 5:42pm On Dec 18, 2015
durubrian:
feed it with grinded pepper for the first 6 months ..

You are no good bro. By the way, there's no English word like 'grinded' pepper. What I was thought in elementary school was 'ground' pepper

Op, you may go on Google to get useful info

1 Like

Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by Femistico(m): 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2015
wetin u wan take parrot do guy....u must be an amebo or olofofo
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2015
Ask Google
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by adegunwa4real(m): 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2015
Shortyy:
who cares?? feed it cow dung

U look like the parrot grin cheesy tongue

4 Likes

Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by muller101(m): 5:44pm On Dec 18, 2015
Enroll the parrot in evening school
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 18, 2015
Ishorait
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by jeeqaa7(m): 5:45pm On Dec 18, 2015
viviangist2:

Sounds angry .. ABEG GO GET URSELF A TORTOISE OK

are u talking to me mgbeke?
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by astrid97(f): 5:46pm On Dec 18, 2015
PBundles:
You can train it by repeating a phrase a couple of times a day. when you do that always from the same spot at the cage. after some time when you go to that spot it will repeat that phrase. I used to have a friend that taught his to say hey whats up cutie. when he had girls over they thought it was cool.

On a different note, they can run you crazy with talking. To keep them quite the trick is to cover the cage with a cloth. They think its night. but dont do it all the time, as its not good for them.
do parrots talk for real?
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by slimzypink(f): 5:47pm On Dec 18, 2015
do they really talk?
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by durubrian(m): 5:50pm On Dec 18, 2015
Koolking:

You are no good bro. By the way, there's no English word like 'grinded' pepper. What I was thought in elementary school was 'ground' pepper

Op, you may go on Google to get useful info

you should use your dictionary more often... 'grinded' should be found close to other words starting with the letter G.

GRINDED IS AN ENGLISH WORD!
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by flokii: 5:51pm On Dec 18, 2015
@OP sell it to me na...

ow much did you get it?
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by Olayinka777(m): 5:52pm On Dec 18, 2015
jeeqaa7:
rubbish
why call it rubbish?

1 Like

Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by Dbeze: 5:52pm On Dec 18, 2015
Can u help us catch those sucide bombers
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by jeeqaa7(m): 5:53pm On Dec 18, 2015
Olayinka777:
why call it rubbish?

it looks like rubbish
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by prideofscience: 5:55pm On Dec 18, 2015
WOBISH. kID BRAIN. Ask Google some other time.

so he who sale it for no giv info what she feeds on.

I called u Wawa, shanu, Nanko, malu and finally Ewu
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by PBundles(m): 5:55pm On Dec 18, 2015
You would be shocked what they can do. They can sing and imitate anything they hear. The best believe it or not is the African Grey parrot as its very intelligent. You then have the quaker parrot and the parekeet. The last two are hard to teach but the african is the best. this looks like a quaker.

My friends own was an African Parrot, cost him a fortune but that bird was really cool. The bird could rap pharses of Tupac becuase my friend was a huge Tupac fan. It was cool to see that bird bust out a rhyme from no where.

That are also very loyal and know who their boss is.

but as i mentioned THEY CAN TALK NON STOP, which can be annoying at time.

astrid97:
do parrots talk for real?

4 Likes

Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by jamlarni: 5:57pm On Dec 18, 2015
grin feed it with pepper soup or suya
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by Adeevah(m): 5:57pm On Dec 18, 2015
Believe me...the baby parrot is dead already
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by BuddhaPalm(m): 5:58pm On Dec 18, 2015
That cage is fvcked up.

Google and YouTube are your friends.
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by AAinEqGuinea: 5:59pm On Dec 18, 2015
Guyman02:

Dancing Shoki in celebration of your buying an animal that should have been left free in the wild.
anyway here are some tips to help you to become a good parrot keeper.

1. Obtain a proper cage.
Square or rectangular cages are more appropriate for parrots; they feel unsafe in round cages that do not have corners. Ensure your cage is large enough for your parrot to climb and move comfortably in. Cages should have enough room for perches, toys, food bowls, water bowls, and rest areas. Choose the size of your parrot cage based on the size of your parrot:
A minimum of approximately: 24" W x 24" H x 24" D for smaller parrots
A minimum of approximately 5 ft W x 6 ft H x 3½ ft D for larger parrots
Bar spacing: 1/2" for smaller parrots
Bar spacing: 4" for larger parrots

2. Place the cage in a room where he can interact.
Parrots are social creatures. In the wild, they stay with a flock and maintain constant contact with flock mates. If they are kept isolated they may develop separation anxiety. Parrots like being in rooms where their human flock hangs out.
If you have other pets, you will want to keep your bird cage in a room that can be closed off while you are gone from the house. Be sure that you supervise your other pets around the bird, and keep them out of the room if they are causing stress to the bird.

3 Keep temperatures steady.
Birds can tolerate a large range of temperature, but the ideal temperature for your parrot is between 65 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Avoid leaving your parrot in a chilly room or dropping your thermostat overnight during winter. Temperatures below 40 degrees can be dangerous for birds, especially thin ones. Plumper birds can develop heat stress to temperatures above 85 degrees. If you must keep your parrot in higher temperatures, be sure that there is plenty of air circulation.

Part 2: Feeding Your Parrot
1 Vary your parrot's diet. Parrots need a varied diet with a broad range of nutritional value. They should ideally not be kept on a diet of seeds and pellets only, though the bird seed and pellet mixes at pet stores are good to use as the base for their diet. Here are some basics for supplementing the seed or pellet mixtures:
- Do feed fresh fruits and vegetables. Rinse them well just like you would if you were preparing them for people. Many parrots like grapes, bananas, apples, carrots, berries, greens, all varieties of cooked squash, peas, green beans, and more. Be sure to not overdo it on fruit because of sugar content.
- Some types of parrots, such as macaws, love to open the shells of nuts to get the meat out. Try giving your parrot pistachios, pecans, and macadamias.
- Do not feed parrots caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, sugary or salty snacks, greasy foods, raw or dry beans, rhubarb leaves, dill, cabbage, asparagus, eggplant or honey.
- Never give a parrot avocado or onions! Both are toxic to parrots. Avocado can cause immediate cardiac arrest and death in a parrot.[4]
- Feed the right amounts. Small and medium sized birds should have food and water containers that are at least 20 ounces. Large birds should have food and water containers that are at least 30 ounces. Weaned babies and small birds will need extra amounts of food because of their higher metabolisms and levels of activity.

- Have a container for water that’s large enough for your bird to bathe in. Birds will drink out of the same water they bathe in, and this is okay. Be sure not to put vitamin supplements in water even if the guidelines say to do this. The reasons are because birds don’t drink that much, so you don’t know how much they are getting, and because it can cause bacteria to form quickly in the water.[6]
Image titled Care for a Parrot Step 84
Avoid cooking with non-stick pans and utensils. This is especially true if you keep your parrot in or near the kitchen. The chemicals used in non-stick cookware can be deadly to parrots when heated above a certain temperature.
Second hand smoke is also very bad for parrots, just like it is for humans. Avoid smoking in the house if you smoke and have a parrot.

Part 3: Keeping Your Parrot Healthy
1 Tend to the cage bottom every two days.
2 Clean and change the food and water bowls every day. Remove the food and water bowls daily, clean them and replace them with fresh food and water.
Remove foods that rot quickly, such as cooked beans, immediately after feeding. Parrots can be especially prone to infections from bacteria, so keeping the cage clean is an absolute necessity
Be sure to use a bird-safe disinfectant for cleaning the cage weekly - these can be found at your local pet store. Regular human disinfectants can be too strong and can harm your bird.
3 Visit the vet on a regular schedule. Some parrots are completely healthy forever, however most of the time when your parrot encounters a health problem, it could have been solved with some preventative vet consultations. Make sure your veterinarian is one that sees birds specifically
4 Watch for health problems. A healthy parrot is alert to his surroundings, stays upright most of the time, and is active. If your parrot starts acting sick, see a veterinarian. Some signs of a sick parrot include:
Deformed, receding, or ulcerated beak
Difficulty breathing
Stains around the eyes or nostrils
Change in appearance or texture of stools
Weight loss or loss of appetite
Swollen eyes or eyelids
Feather problems including chewing, plucking, or thinning
Bowed head, lethargy, being overly quiet

Part 4: Training and Socializing Your Parrot
1 Learn to approach the cage properly. In the beginning, approach your parrot’s cage slowly and without making any loud noises. You may also want to avoid eye contact in the beginning for a fearful bird, so he doesn’t feel singled out by a predator. If you find the parrot trying to bite you, thrashing around the cage, or making other drastic displays of discomfort to your presence, you’ll need to get him accustomed to you:
Go back out of the room and out of sight. Start walking back in, and at the moment of the discomfort response, stop and stay where you are. Do not approach further and wait for him to calm down. Then begin walking closer. If he acts up again, stop and stay still until he calms down. You may need to do this frequently until you can get close to the cage.

Determine treats for your parrot. Training your parrot is a must for giving him the socialization he needs. To determine what foods are his favorite treats, try giving him a variety of nuts, fresh and dried fruits, and seeds. A new parrot may be unaccustomed to some of these foods, so give him a few days to determine which ones are favorites. Once you figure out a favorite, don’t serve it as part of daily meals and save it for training.

Use target training to get your parrot to come out of and return to the cage. The first step of target training is getting the parrot to eat treats from your hand. This may take a few seconds to a few weeks. Simply go to the side of the cage and have a treat in your hand. Wait for the parrot to come over and eat it.
Once your parrot is comfortable eating treats from your hand, introduce the clicker. Begin clicking the clicker right before offering a treat from your hand. Do this every time, so that it becomes used to hearing the click before eating a treat.
Use a target stick (chopstick or dowel) to get your parrot to move to certain areas of the cage. Begin by introducing the stick, allowing the parrot to move close to it, and deliver a click and a treat. Train the parrot to move toward the stick each time by delivering the click and the treat. If he becomes uninterested in the stick, he may be full and you should wait a while until he becomes hungrier to resume training.[11]
Use the target stick to teach your parrot to step up onto your hand or a handheld perch. Eventually you should be able to bring your parrot out of the cage to continue training and/or clean the cage.
Keep all of your training sessions short (about 10 to 15 minutes each time) and only try to train once or twice a day.

Tame your parrot to allow you to pet him. Many parrots enjoy being pet and touched. The first place to start is with his beak. Once he is comfortable having your hand near his beak without trying to bite, you’ll know he is comfortable with you touching him. Bring your hand slowly near his beak. If he looks like he’s going to try to bite, stop immediately. Hold your hand still until he calms down. When you get your hand close to his beak without him trying to bite, take your hand away and give a treat.
Do the same steps with touching his body. Move your hand toward his body slowly. If he seems irritated, stop and wait. Work up to being allowed to pet him. Once you’re able to pet him, give a treat.

Talk to your parrot. Some parrots are better “talkers” than others, but all parrots have the anatomical capability to mimic human speech. Regardless of how well your parrot learns to repeat you, talking to him is an important part of his emotional health, so be sure to talk to him often.
Name certain things to him: when giving him certain types of food, you can say, “apple,” or “banana.”
Associate certain words with your actions. When you walk into the room, say "Hello, Alex" (or whatever your name is) or "Good morning!" When you leave a room, say “Good-bye!” or “Good night.”
Your parrot will also enjoy hearing you have a conversation (even if it’s with him and is mostly one-sided), hearing you sing, listening to the television while you watch it, or listening to music.
Some parrots pick up many phrases, so be careful of cursing or yelling around him unless you want him to repeat unsavory language.[14]

Choose good toys for your parrot. [/b]Toys provide mental stimulation and relief from boredom. You should offer toys that have a variety of textures, colors, and sounds. It’s a good idea to rotate the toys weekly so your parrot doesn’t get bored of the same toys day in and day out. Here are some more things to keep in mind about parrot toys:
Choose small, lightweight toys and mirrors for small birds.
Larger birds like to manipulate thicker toy pieces with their beaks, tongues and feet.
Birds love to chew. It is part of their natural behavior to tear things apart. Be sure to check the toys regularly for damage, and throw them away if they are cracked or could break into small pieces that could injure your parrot.

[b]Learn parrot body language.
In general, a parrot with an upright stance and smoothed feathers is wary or frightened. Loose, slightly ruffled feathers indicate happiness. A bird sitting on one foot with puffed out feathers may not feel well. All feathers sticking as far out as possible usually mean he’s courting or getting ready to fight. Stretching out one wing and then the other, or a slight tail feather wagging, means he’s feeling happy and healthy. Some happy birds even wiggle their tongues or move their beaks up and down when they see something they like

I love the depth displayed here grin grin
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by Timbuktu14(m): 6:03pm On Dec 18, 2015
durubrian:
feed it with grinded pepper for the first 6 months ..
cheesy cheesy
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by Nobody: 6:06pm On Dec 18, 2015
adegunwa4real:
Ugly and dirty thing grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
And someone suggested he allows it fly around his room grin grin
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by BrianRoss: 6:08pm On Dec 18, 2015
Why are u guys hatin like dis, actually dis is getting interesting, i might even get one for my self.

dis might sound funny but i never new parrots do talk menh, am till surprised
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by Nobody: 6:09pm On Dec 18, 2015
chronique:
Hi folks! I just bought a baby parrot,but do not have experience training birds(especially a parrot). Can anyone help me out with useful tips?
Google
Re: Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It by Ishilove: 6:10pm On Dec 18, 2015
chronique:
Hi folks! I just bought a baby parrot,but do not have experience training birds(especially a parrot). Can anyone help me out with useful tips?
Ehn ehn cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Moment Man Sobbed Uncontrollably As His Boss’ Dog Was Sold (Photos, Video) / Dog Given A Grand And Befitting Burial Ceremony In Lagos ( Photo ) / My Experience With Pet Parrots I Bought Today But Had To Give Them Away

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.