Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

Family Release Shocking Horror Bite Photos Of Mother 'eaten To Death By Rat - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Family Release Shocking Horror Bite Photos Of Mother 'eaten To Death By Rat (1352 Views)

Indian Woman Suffocates After Being Buried Alive In Cow Dung For Snake Bite(Pics / India Man Chews Off Snake's Head In Revenge After Snake Bite – Report / 12-Year-Old Boy Barks Like A Dog After A Dog Bite (Pics, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Family Release Shocking Horror Bite Photos Of Mother 'eaten To Death By Rat by love2nicee: 6:04am On Dec 19, 2015
Family release shocking horror bite photos of mother 'eaten to death by rat in care home'

4A RAT gnawed a sleeping pensioner’s arm as if it were “corn on the cob”, the woman’s daughters said last night.
Screaming carers found bedridden Pamela Hudson, 75, lying in her blood-soaked nightie following the attack in council-run sheltered housing.

http://sabi9jablog.com/2015/12/family-release-shocking-horror-bite-photos-of-mother-eaten-to-death-by-rat-in-care-home.html

Horrified daughter Jan Derry told how she and sister Sallie Wilkinson first saw Pamela’s injuries after she was admitted to hospital.

They last night gave us permission to publish shocking images showing the wounds after council bosses again refused to accept responsibility.

Jan, 48, said: “We want the world to see these pictures so this can never happen again.”

She went on: “When we got to hospital they were wiping blood from mum’s wounds. They put a bandage on, but the blood soaked right through within the hour.

“When you looked at her arm there was no top level of skin in sections. It was not just a bite, it was as if it had been chewed off.

“As if you were eating a corn on the cob and you gnawed along it.

“People were coming in to see her throughout the day. They’d never seen anything like it. We just kept crying every time we looked at her.”

Pamela, who was transferred to a privately-run care home but died three months later, told one carer: “It was a rat, brown. I kept pushing it away but it kept coming back.”

But her words, images of her injuries and vital medical details were ignored by council bosses. They said they could not be sure what caused her injuries, even suggesting a squirrel was to blame.

Chiefs gagged Pamela’s daughters, warning of legal action if they revealed contents of an official report into June’s attack at York’s Glen Lodge.

But speaking of the photos last night, Jan said: “We hope the images will prompt action and somehow things will change so that our elderly are better cared for.

“If it can happen to my mum it can happen to other people’s parents. We’re all going to be old one day and deserve the very best care.”

Great gran Pamela also suffered dozens of bites on her hands, chest and face. She was left in terror after June’s attack and her daughters say she remained haunted by it until her death in September.

Sallie, 52, revealed she burst into tears after rushing to the hospital to be at her stricken mother’s side. She said: “I was just shocked. I couldn’t believe it when I saw her.

“I couldn’t get over the injuries — it was complete shock. I couldn’t understand what had happened to her.”

A doctor at York Hospital told the sisters: “We think she’s been bitten.”

Sallie, who works with disabled kids, went on: “I wasn’t thinking of a rat, so I asked her, ‘By another resident’?

“She said, ‘No, by a rat or mouse — or mice’. It floored me. The doctors said you could see the teethmarks.”

As nurses treated her, Pamela woke several times and brushed at her body, saying: “Get that rat off me.” Jan added: “The thought of how many times she was bitten is awful.

“We fear it may have got trapped in the bed with her and just kept biting and biting. We don’t know, and never will, if it was one or more.

“There was no way mum could have fought off a rat. She was too frail by then and weighed just 5st.”

Baffled carers had gathered Pamela’s sheets and put them in a bag for hospital doctors to examine.

Supermarket worker Jan and Sallie, both from York, went through it and were stunned by the nightie.

Mum-of-three Jan added: “It was covered in blood. It showed what she must have gone through.” The sisters want a full public inquiry.

Divorced Pamela, who has a third daughter, Penny Murphy, 48, moved into Glen Lodge in 2007 and lived in a first floor self-contained flat.

But in recent years she had grown increasingly frail, become bed-ridden and lost the use of one arm. Jan said the once-jovial gran “lost interest in living” after the attack.

York City Council revealed the findings of their investigation to the sisters last month. Jan said: “They just said, ‘We are sorry, we haven’t been able to come to a conclusion’.

“They refused to believe what mum told them. She was not lying.

“We pointed out to the council she’d told them it was a rat. They accept she was bitten but said they were not 100 per cent what it was.

“We just want an apology and for them to accept responsibility.”

Martin Farran, director of adult social care at York Council, said: “It is with regret that, despite extensive efforts by professional experts, environmental health and independent inspectors, we’ve been unable to determine the exact circumstances of how the injuries occurred.”

The Tory and Lib Dem-run council has slashed its budget for adult social care for the past five years.

Leader Dafydd Williams said they had tried to come up with a 2016 budget to reflect residents’ priorities but cautioned money was tight. He said: “As Government grants diminish so does our capacity to spend on anything other than the basics like stimulating economic growth or protecting vulnerable people.”

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt called the photos “appalling”. He pledged to launch an investigation alongside Communities Secretary Greg Clark. Mr Hunt said: “Whatever the social care provider, people have a right to expect the highest standards.”

TO be savaged by a rat in your own bed, when you can’t escape or call for help, is the stuff of nightmares.

Yet incredibly, this actually happened to a gran in care recently.

It would be wonderful to believe this could never happen to another older person. But can we be sure? The honest answer is “No”.

Our care system is under so much pressure that no one can be 100 per cent confident an older loved one will always be cared for as well as they should be.

This is mainly because the money the Government is putting into care has been going down.

At the same time, because we are all living longer, there are more older folk — so there’s not enough to go round.

Most people want to live independently for as long as possible and only go into a home when they have to, often because of dementia.

This means care home residents are usually highly vulnerable.

Hazards include the risk of abuse or neglect — we’ve all read about the court cases.

The vast majority of care home staff do a good job, often for a pretty low wage. They could usually earn more on a supermarket till.

So as long as we don’t invest enough into care for older folk we run the risk of more horror stories like this and that’s shameful in a country as wealthy as ours.

Surely every pensioner deserves good care.

http://sabi9jablog.com/2015/12/family-release-shocking-horror-bite-photos-of-mother-eaten-to-death-by-rat-in-care-home.html

Re: Family Release Shocking Horror Bite Photos Of Mother 'eaten To Death By Rat by Oblitz(m): 6:38am On Dec 19, 2015
Re: Family Release Shocking Horror Bite Photos Of Mother 'eaten To Death By Rat by Nobody: 6:50am On Dec 19, 2015
Na Frankinstein Rat be that ooo
Re: Family Release Shocking Horror Bite Photos Of Mother 'eaten To Death By Rat by Nobody: 8:02am On Dec 19, 2015
Boko Haram Rats
Re: Family Release Shocking Horror Bite Photos Of Mother 'eaten To Death By Rat by Nobody: 9:34am On Dec 19, 2015
Hmm. that rat must have escaped from conmand sec school
Re: Family Release Shocking Horror Bite Photos Of Mother 'eaten To Death By Rat by diamondc(f): 10:11pm On Dec 19, 2015
end time rat

(1) (Reply)

HELP!!! Daniel Osayande Is Very Sick And Needs Our Financial Help To Stay Alive / Is Depo Provera Or Minera Contraceptive Injection Really Harmful? / I Need Help Concerning My Skin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.