Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,234 members, 7,825,904 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. (7703 Views)

Poll: Is THis A Good Move?

Yes: 72% (50 votes)
No: 27% (19 votes)
This poll has ended

Gov. Amosun Controlling Traffic On Lag-ib Rd, King Sunny Ade Stops To Thank Him / Ade Adefuye Dies (Nigerian Ambassador To U.S) / SSS Parades Boko-Haram Suspects Including A University Lecturer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by IFELEKE(m): 4:10pm On Jun 08, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Why OAU appointed me music lecturer – King Sunny Ade
Saturday, June 6, 2009

This is a good piece of news and thing of pride for all musicians and fans of juju maestro, Otunba Sunday Adeniyi Adegeye aka King Sunny Ade. On Thursday May 28, 2009 the King of World Beats moved upscale, transforming from a performing musician to a university lecturer.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jun/6/510.html

On that day, Sunny Ade was not only made the Faculty of Arts Distinguished Fellow but also appointed as Artiste in Residence by Professor Michael Faborode, Vice Chancellor, Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Osun State.

KSA says: “I dedicate the award to the music profession and to all musicians dead or alive. It was not only an award but I was appointed as a lecturer in Residence with an office of my own on the campus.”

But how would Sunny Ade earmark time for lectures in spite of his tight musical schedule? His response: “I have taken it as something I have to do. I have instructed my management to schedule time for lectures. I would lay emphasis on both theory and practical.”

Mr. Clement Ige, former journalist and consultant to Sunny Ade, said the artiste had scored a first by being made a lecturer in the premier university. “For Sunny Ade to be so honoured by a big university like OAU is a thing of joy and good news to all musicians. This is the first time OAU is appointing a professional musician as a lecturer. It is a well deserved honour considering Sunny Ade’s vast experience and exposure as a performing artiste.

He has a lot to impart in the younger ones. Now, it is mandatory that he should be going to Ife to lecture the students. For him, this is a big challenge,” he says.

On his annual world tour, Sunny Ade told Blockbuster that he’s jetting out of the country on June 10, and that the tour would take him to about 22 cities both in Canada and the United States.

“I am embarking on a world tour as from June 10. It’s not really a world tour because I am going to Canada and America while arrangements are yet to be concluded on the tour of Europe. But the good thing about this tour is that I am going to perform in 22 cities both in Canada and America. Also, I will be performing at the famous Hollywood Bowl. It will be the second time I am performing there, the first time was in the 1990s,” KSA states.
The man was appointed an Artiste In Residence which is just a ceremonial appointment.
The university authorities want to blend his wealth of experience with their orthodox way of teachings and that to me is a very brilliant experiment.
Kudos to The University Authority and Big UP to KSA, He sure deserves it.

doshbass:

I do not see any point of him being a lecturer for practical music, Can he read Music? It makes sense for him to come once in a while and give students lecture in his style of music and he's experience in the world music environment.

I do not consider him as a professional Musician, To be a music Teacher, you have to be able to read and play any music from a score sheet. Can KSA do this? if he can the I support his appoitment as a lecturer, if not he should be a seasoned guest lecturer

don't get me wrong he is a legend and a good artist and performer and he's one of the best in JUJU music
You are just a bundle of contradictions, What brand of music do you play?
Hypno-Calypso
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by kshow1(m): 4:47pm On Jun 08, 2009
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
short of words.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Okwyjesus(m): 5:42pm On Jun 08, 2009
l love this and l think we are coming to understand education in real terms in this country. God's grace to Sunny Ade
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by loma(m): 6:55pm On Jun 08, 2009
becomrich,:

Non lecturer over here teacher lastest technology to professor and student over here. It is the only way to transfer skill.

Some of the lecturers are working professionals.

I took a course many many years ago in one of the university over here. And the lecturer was working for IBM and some were working for microsoft.

Kindly translate the first line into English.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by babawon: 7:06pm On Jun 08, 2009
This is really good for the nigerian musical scene, Nigeria is trying to emulate china, where ur practical experience is used to judge your competence other than your theoretical know how, it should be truly commendable
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by AloyEmeka9: 7:29pm On Jun 08, 2009
Wouldn't it make more sense if a university in America employs Pharrell, Damon Dash, Dr Dre or Diddy to help teach hiphop in school instead of real hiphop stars?. What am saying is that the producers understand music more than the musicians. It's like using an actor in place of the director as teachers in film schools. It's not completely out of tone anyway. Is Sunny Ade a music producer or director?. A soccer star can only become a coach if he attends coaching school[apart from Naija coaches, lol]
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by AloyEmeka9: 7:30pm On Jun 08, 2009
becomrich,:

Non lecturer over here teacher lastest technology to professor and student over here. It is the only way to transfer skill.

Some of the lecturers are working professionals.

I took a course many many years ago in one of the university over here.
And the lecturer was working for  IBM and some were working for microsoft.
Was that course taught in Yoruba language?
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Inglewood: 9:10pm On Jun 08, 2009
It's funny the way people make assumptions !, who told you KSA cannot read music or speak english ? Kindly refrain from making unsubstantiated comments, classic definition of ignorance
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by oge4real(f): 10:00pm On Jun 08, 2009
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Remii(m): 10:22pm On Jun 08, 2009
I think it is good and positive development what he would teach would be practical aspects of music, I suppose, his notes and course content may have be drawn by department. Engineers learn a lot from technicians and artisans in workshop courses. I think this is in the same line for musical students.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by gram: 10:39pm On Jun 08, 2009
Good for sunny ade, u see, we are in an ever changing world, There is hope for pasuma, barrister,kollington etc, pastors and imams should teach

religious studies, yem kem will soon be allowed to teach medicos, but then what happens to the university curriculum and professionalism?, we are

moving into an era where professionalism is not defined by routine but by results, our world is gradually getting impatient with scripts alone!
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Remii(m): 11:01pm On Jun 08, 2009
This is not entirely new development as such, Yemi Elubuibon was a visiting lecturer on Ifa to African Studies Dept (Yoruba) of University of Ife. He does the same to a university in Brazil and I think in Atlanta, Georgia. There are traditional drummers and dancers teaching would be professionals the basics of the trade in various universities. It is all about making the graduate close to reality that just theory alone. The people who explain practical welding to engineers and electrical/electronic workshop are not university graduates, they do not set questions and they do not mark or award marks, main lecturer of the course does all that.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Phemour: 9:58am On Jun 09, 2009
This should be in Education Mod. smiley
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by AloyEmeka9: 10:00am On Jun 09, 2009
gram:

Good for sunny ade, u see, we are in an ever changing world, There is hope for pasuma, barrister,kollington etc, pastors and imams should teach

religious studies, yem kem will soon be allowed to teach medicos, but then what happens to the university curriculum and professionalism?, we are

moving into an era where professionalism is not defined by routine but by results, our world is gradually getting impatient with scripts alone!

Good yarns.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by bsanya(f): 11:19am On Jun 09, 2009
THE LESSON WE NEED 2 LEARN IS
WHATEVER U KNOW DOING, DO IT WITH ALL UR POWER AND STRENGTH.
SUM HOW SOMEDAY LUCKY WILL SMILE AT U
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by solosimple(m): 11:28am On Jun 09, 2009
I don't see anything wrong with the appointment. It is akin to having a consulting professor.
Such appointments help bring an industry view to academia and provide needed mentoring to students.

what Sunny Ade brings to the table cannot be learned from tenured professors. Its like learning business strategies from likes of Dangote,Coscharis, Otedola instead of tenured pros.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by wunmilyn(f): 11:57am On Jun 09, 2009
stmanpule:

this is a grave yard mistake, it is not a welcome development. what teaching has sunny ade?

Its a very good and welcome develoment.
and i am 100% sure he has got alot to teach in the practical aspect.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by doshbass(m): 12:53pm On Jun 09, 2009
I guess he can educate them on History of African and Juju Music, experience of world music and how to be a sucessful artist or performer, which is not the same as a Musician
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Remii(m): 2:42pm On Jun 09, 2009
I respect everyone right to his view, but I wonder why people write as if KSA would be teaching all the subjects required to get BA (Music), Has anyone listen to this guy speak, do would you tell me that he speaks like a one does not not know what is is talking about, this is a musician that has been recognised world wide and has been the first Nigerian musician to be nominated for Grammy Awards back in 1980s, the only second person is Femi Kuti, who did not go to school too. What the university would make attempt to get from him his practical aspect of music. Could someone tell me the degree Bill gate received from the university before he developed WINDOWS. Knowledge is knowledge and God puts it where He wants, we should put sentiments apart if we really want to transfer of knowledge that would survive after our generation.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Nezan(m): 3:31pm On Jun 09, 2009
I will advice my old uncle in the village who has spent a life time in the village farming to go and apply for a Lecturing job at OAU in the faculty of Agriculture. He will have a lot to teach them students. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by ifababa(m): 3:46pm On Jun 09, 2009
Remii:

I respect everyone right to his view, but I wonder why people write as if KSA would be teaching all the subjects required to get BA (Music), Has anyone listen to this guy speak, do would you tell me that he speaks like a  one does not not know what is is talking about, this is a musician that has been recognised world wide and has been the first Nigerian musician to be nominated for Grammy Awards back in 1980s, the only second person is Femi Kuti, who did not go to school too. What the university would make attempt to get from him his practical aspect of music. Could someone tell me the degree Bill gate received from the university before he developed WINDOWS. Knowledge is knowledge and God puts it where He wants, we should put sentiments apart if we really want to transfer of knowledge that would survive after our generation.

Oga remii na wao, Please try to verify information before you pass it unto us in this forum oo, Sunny ade was not the first nigerian to be neminated for grammy's, Actually a nigerian musician called Babatunde Olatunji  has won grammys before, In 1991 Olatunji received a Grammy Award for his
collaboration with Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart on "Planet Drum, Won a nomination for the 1998 Grammy for Best World Music Album,

He speaks english comprehensively well though, but music is taught in the language of music and that is why we call music a UNIVERSAL language, I wont be surprised if you dont understand what i mean,

If by chance OAU wants to give that honour to any nigerian artiste,then they should have given it to the one that is mostly deserved of it in all ways before his death.And that is no other person than FELA  ANIKULAPO KUTI, As a matter of fact his music is studied at different institutions cut across the globe, and OAU Herself would be so honoured to have someone like fela lecture there,

The point is that the effect of your music amongst the music elites in the country and around the world  is what should be the basis of granting such honour ,

Allnotwithstanding there is still something the students can learn from him, especially those that wants to study JUJU MAJOR, smiley smiley smiley smiley

The appointment as a lecturer is not really needed because he doesnt understand the language of MUSIC, but if you argue that he does,then there's high hopes for  the likes of 9ice,tuface,Konga,Oriefonkasibe and the likes,even Kleva j, I rest my case

Ifababa
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by ifababa(m): 3:59pm On Jun 09, 2009
nethacker:

shocked shocked
u r dumb .

I mean i just don't understand how some ppl think sha.What has  experience got to do with being a graduate? .Sunny Ade is worth it!!!!! period!!!.And for those of u thinking sunny Ade is not a musician,u r making a big mistake(ignorance).Sunny plays well(keyboard and guitar), he also sight-reads any piece of musical script,he is a director(not just a lead vocalist)and he also understands both practical and theoretical music from the rudiments to advanced    .Thumbs up Baba Ade(as he is fondly called during rehearsals), One of ur boyz dey hail.

Chairman Nethacker, You dey try oo i think it really depends on your own understanding of what Music theory and practical really is,

Its not about just holding the guitar and striking some sweet notes its way beyond that , This man cannot even play a 4 note phrase CONSISTENTLY for 30 seconds, His music is pleasant to hearing to doubt but it does not meet the academia standard for been appointed as a music lecturer, I'ld rather him lecture at the cultural center or centre for african arts and culture, I rest my case

Ifababa
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by joobreel(m): 4:09pm On Jun 09, 2009
KSA- your wealth of experience has paid-off eventually.
Prof Mini-Mike, first real and good move since i graduated from Oba Awon University.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by ayobase(m): 4:11pm On Jun 09, 2009
Hmmmm.
INFT- I No Fit Talk!
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by AloyEmeka9: 4:37pm On Jun 09, 2009
Nezan:

I will advice my old uncle in the village who has spent a life time in the village farming to go and apply for a Lecturing job at OAU in the faculty of Agriculture. He will have a lot to teach them students. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Funny grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by doshbass(m): 4:53pm On Jun 09, 2009
ifababa:

Chairman Nethacker, You dey try oo i think it really depends on your own understanding of what Music theory and practical really is,

Its not about just holding the guitar and striking some sweet notes its way beyond that , This man cannot even play a 4 note phrase CONSISTENTLY for 30 seconds, His music is pleasant to hearing to doubt but it does not meet the academia standard for been appointed as a music lecturer, I'ld rather him lecture at the cultural center or centre for african arts and culture, I rest my case

Ifababa
ifababa:

Oga remii na wao, Please try to verify information before you pass it unto us in this forum oo, Sunny ade was not the first nigerian to be neminated for grammy's, Actually a nigerian musician called Babatunde Olatunji  has won grammys before, In 1991 Olatunji received a Grammy Award for his
collaboration with Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart on "Planet Drum, Won a nomination for the 1998 Grammy for Best World Music Album,

He speaks english comprehensively well though, but music is taught in the language of music and that is why we call music a UNIVERSAL language, I wont be surprised if you dont understand what i mean,

If by chance OAU wants to give that honour to any nigerian artiste,then they should have given it to the one that is mostly deserved of it in all ways before his death.And that is no other person than FELA  ANIKULAPO KUTI, As a matter of fact his music is studied at different institutions cut across the globe, and OAU Herself would be so honoured to have someone like fela lecture there,

The point is that the effect of your music amongst the music elites in the country and around the world  is what should be the basis of granting such honour ,

Allnotwithstanding there is still something the students can learn from him, especially those that wants to study JUJU MAJOR, smiley smiley smiley smiley

The appointment as a lecturer is not really needed because he doesnt understand the language of MUSIC, but if you argue that he does,then there's high hopes for  the likes of 9ice,tuface,Konga,Oriefonkasibe and the likes,even Kleva j, I rest my case

Ifababa

well said My brother, I guess some people don't know the difference between abeing professional musician and a performing artist. This is University Level we are talking about you know, the curriculum for music across the world is the same, as a Musician you want o learn how to sight read and write music first before anything else, People that want to get into JUJU Music do not need to go to university to learn it, Maybe KSA should set up a JUJU Music school
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by nucca(f): 5:43pm On Jun 09, 2009
great ife
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by anwo247: 7:46pm On Jun 09, 2009
I have never believed that any University in Nigeria was geeat but I was wrong. I can now proudly say 'Great Ife'.

Bringing industrial view to Academic setting is what will make our graduates useful. I support Sunny Ade. He knows what academic profs dont know and cannot know. This applied Knowledge is what we need in every facet of education this time. Our nation is over due for this. Our graduates must learn hands-on.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Remii(m): 9:30pm On Jun 09, 2009
ifababa:

Oga remii na wao, Please try to verify information before you pass it unto us in this forum oo, Sunny ade was not the first nigerian to be neminated for grammy's, Actually a nigerian musician called Babatunde Olatunji  has won grammys before, In 1991 Olatunji received a Grammy Award for his

If by chance OAU wants to give that honour to any nigerian artiste,then they should have given it to the one that is mostly deserved of it in all ways before his death.And that is no other person than FELA  ANIKULAPO KUTI, As a matter of fact his music is studied at different institutions cut across the globe, and OAU Herself would be so honoured to have someone like fela lecture there,

The point is that the effect of your music amongst the music elites in the country and around the world  is what should be the basis of granting such honour ,

The appointment as a lecturer is not really needed because he doesnt understand the language of MUSIC, but if you argue that he does,then there's high hopes for  the likes of 9ice,tuface,Konga,Oriefonkasibe and the likes,even Kleva j, I rest my case

Ifababa

Ifababa: May be you too need to check your records. Syncro System was realised in 1976 and it got KSA first Grammy nomination the second nomination was "Odu" in 1999. Check and correct me if am wrong.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians Mark Awolowo’s Posthumous Birthday / Face Of The Owner Of Lagos Oriental Hotel Not Tinubu (see Photos) / Jimoh Ibrahim: Many Ministers In Tinubu’s Govt Fall Below Grade A

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.